8 replies to this topic

#1 Cocomon

Cocomon

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

hey guys - appreciate some help here - this guy is tiny at just under 2" tall. he packs a whole bunch of articulation, mostly PVC, very fun figure.

Question is where he hails from? appreciate if anyone can help- kills me to not know.

has a very japanese vibe to it.

thanks guys, any help most grateful for!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:12 AM

Two inches tall? I was always under the impression that these guys were at least a bit larger, if not actually in the GI Joe scale.

Yeah, I know exactly what he is, and am kinda jealous that you own it. He is Zu-Gumun-Ba, or the Spider Grongi, the first villain from the series Kamen Rider Kuuga. This figure in particular is from a series of toys that were predecessors to the awesome Motion Revive toyline by Bandai, which featured a ton of Kamen Rider characters and a couple other releases. The amazing part about Motion Revive was that they were fully-articulated 3.75" action figures sold cheaply as blind-packed candy toys. By the end of the series, the detail being put into them was amazing, right down to fully-painted weapons. No one's sure exactly why Bandai finally killed the line, but many believe it's because Bandai had introduced too many toylines that were doing the same thing (super-poseable Kamen Rider action figures) and so they focused on SH Figuarts, the most successful of the lines.

Your Grongi here was from 2000 or so and isn't quite up to those standards, but it's not as if villains ever get many toys at all.

#3 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:23 AM

Would you be so kind as to place a ruler next to that figure please and take a picture of it :) ?

..this is right up my alley...

Are those swivel biceps?

Do they pop on and off easily or are they rather secure and snug?

Edited by Articulationnut, 17 October 2011 - 02:24 AM.

Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#4 Cocomon

Cocomon

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:46 PM

Hey thanks for sharing BaltanLL! Sorry - itsactually about 2.8" tall, but def not 3"3/4.

would anyone know the line its from?

Arti-nut - yeah i understand where you're coming from. I dont have a ruler, but i've arranged a few pictures (apologise for bad pics - blame the android phone!) with some figures that i have - you can see how he stacks up next to battlebeasts, legends class transformers, gijoe and woody. That predator in front is an oldskool micro-machines, he's 1" tall.

THe joints are simple peg joints, pop in and out, hold very tightly and apart from balance (tiny feet), you can see he can conduct pretty impressive yoga lessons.

Thanks again, i can now die in peace knowing where this bugger hails from.

:)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:27 AM

Hey thanks for sharing BaltanLL! Sorry - it's actually about 2.8" tall, but def not 3"3/4.

Blargh! That's I, not L! As in, Roman numeral two. LRG doesn't let you have spaces in your username and I'd rather not go the underscore route.

would anyone know the line its from?

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN939947

Took some finding because it's so old and obscure. This was the one and only series of Action Kamen Rider figures released. They were followed by another single-series line by the name of Full Action Figures, and those in turn would be replaced by Motion Revive.

#6 Cocomon

Cocomon

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

woopsie daisies - all hail BaltanII! Now the nick makes cool sense :)

i dont know how you do it - but i've found new closure in this. You're a mini-toy goolebot BaltanII!

best

#7 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:01 AM

And to top it all off, Baltan II is the figure casually strolling in my signature.

I blame a photographic memory, and encyclopedic knowledge of some of the most random and useless information possible, for the majority of my IDs. I'm also quite strong in my Google-Fu. In this case, I needed nothing but love for Kamen Rider. The first episode of Kuuga is pretty damn memorable, despite the very dated special effects.

#8 TOPHER

TOPHER

Chit Happens.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Interests:My Recording Studio, Video Games, Shelby Cobras, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle/Laser/Greek Beasts, MIMP+WIMP, Remco Mini Mashers, Figurines holding any kind of musical instrument, Weird Ball Wrestlers......

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:23 AM

Nice that yer mystery is solved. :)

But how do we get our hands on these
can't find 'em on ebay,how new are they?
how tall?

http://item.rakuten....a/c/0000004359/

'On Sale' or 'For Sale'. It's really the same thing! The word, 'Sale' means YOU CAN BUY IT,
not that it is discounted. We as consumers are conditioned to think"On Sale"means it's cheaper.
Posted Image

#9 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:40 AM

They came out within the past week and they're not so well-known and popular outside Japan as to appear on eBay regularly.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN969628

They're about two inches tall.

Edited by BaltanII, 22 October 2011 - 07:48 AM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com