#1 GM4WALLS

GM4WALLS

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Wine, women and song!

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

Hi, new to the forum but not to new to collecting. I recently completed my GI Joe collection to a point in which I have no desire to pick up any more. Soooo... I am beginning a new mission, I want a COMPLETE collection of Battle Beasts.

Now, I know complete means something different to everyone. I have an entire set of Battle Beasts from the first three series, no Laser Beasts, with weapons. Now the goal is to have one set of each, wood, water, and fire, in addition to one custom of each Beast. A sealed set would be cool as well. Then I will attempt to pick up one of each Laser Beast.

The purpose of this post is to introduce myself and ask what exactly defines complete to you? Is this goal of mine insane, or does it seem pretty reasonable?

#2 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Well, first of all welcome to the board and into the world of BB although you´ve already taken some steps completing a full 76 set. 

Of course the definition of Complete is different to any collector and it can change/grow into another meaning over time. Personally my first complete set was a set of all 76 Battle Beasts in good condition with working rubs and all their weapons. In time when I found the first LB I realised my set wouldn´t be complete without those so my goal changed into a full set of 112 figures complete and in good condition. But eventhough I didn´t like the shields that came with the shieldbattler figs and I didn´t want to collect these in the first case I changed my mind and felt like each shieldbattler figs should have its shield, eventhough I don´t like them, because otherwise................ my set wouldn´t be complete. Due to the amount and the variety of Beasts its almost impossible to be done and the amount of people who indeed have all the figures (premiums and other rare items) out here you can count on one hand because everybody has pieces they´re still looking for or know they´ll never get. So the definition of complete can for sure be interpret in different ways ;)

When it comes to your idea of going for a COMPLETE set from the perspective of getting each beast with all the 3 different symbols were talking about an impossible project of 336 Beasts (including the LB). Impossible from a financial point of view and even if you would have that amount to spend you´d have a hard time finding all the different LB with the different symbols. BUT it also depends on how fair your willing to play the game because it might be a less difficult task if you change orbs, use repro rubs, etc. but I assume/hope this is not something you´d consider. So from the LB point of view I don´t think its possible and I only knew about a few members who´ve ever had or been close to completing a 2nd complete set of all the LB and this can already be a pain in the #ss let alone keeping in mind the correct symbols as well as getting 1 more set. 

The Battle Beasts are a different story though because I know there was one member out here, can´t remember his name, who did have a full set of 228 (3 x 76) Battle Beasts in which he had each figure with a Wood, Water and Fire symbol. But the question is what would be the use of getting these three symbols for all the figs because if you look at it from the rubsign point of view you also might have to keep in mind the older black and white rubs against the more colorfull rubs from the Serie 3 beasts as there´s some variation amongst these within Serie 2 and 3 as well depending on the country of origin. Despite all this the search for a complete Battle Beasts set as you describe it is not impossible it´ll only take you a while to get there. 

Complete and complete can also have a different meaning the moment you introduce the term condition because when are you satisfied with a figure and what requirements do you have for them, can they be a little dirty, have playwear, miss an arm or have no weapon as long as the rub works or does it have to be in the best possible condition!?

Complete has a lot of different meanings in the world of collectors
but one thing is pretty sure you´ll never get there
since your definition of complete will shift along the way
and will grow bigger together with your experience...

Enjoy the beasts and maybe someday you´ll get your COMPLETE Collection if you stick to the definition of complete you´ve now shared :)

Edited by Beastformers, 02 May 2014 - 04:34 PM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#3 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

I will never finish collecting because my definition of complete is so broad. So I want to complete as many different MIMP sets as possible and just have as awesome a collection as I can. 

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#4 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

Both Beastformers and Behemoth gave good answers. I'd consider "complete" as follows:

• Battle Beasts (should I start collecting them again): All 76 Series 1, 2, and 3, complete with weapons and working rubs, and an even mix of fire, water, and wood
  • M.U.S.C.L.E.: All poster figures in all colors, a clean ring with both figures, a complete board game with all 10 figures, and Satans Cross.
  • Monster In My Pocket: All regular color Series 1 figures; after that, we'll see.
  • Bad Eggz Bunch: As insane as prices for those things can get, I'm extremely happy with the two I have!

Everyone will have a different definition of "complete" or "master set." I think your goal is attainable, but it'll take money and especially time (especially in the case of the sealed set). Of course, trading off any duplicates you have would help. And what about the Sunburst Pirate Lion?

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#5 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

Yeah I've never considered the rubsigns to have much weight when it comes to 'completeness' of my collection, since they're arbitrarily placed and aren't part of the actual figure itself. I don't even really care if the rubsign is functional as long as they don't look damaged, that's good enough. For me, complete means having one of each of the figures with accessories in flawless condition, and one of each of the non-standard releases in the Japanese packaging. I'm down to the last 2 or 3 normal Beasts that I want to get in better condition, and only looking for one or two packaged pieces from Japan.

I believe the member GJ is thinking of is CCVegita, at least I know he did that with LBs and I believe normal BBs as well (also about 10 years ago back when the figures were much more affordable)

Edited by bachamn, 02 May 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#6 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

Welcome to the boards, man!

Complete is something that is defined by you. Personally, for myself, I just want one of every beast with their weapons in reasonably good condition and working rubs. I also want the official variants, not the "unofficial" factory differences. (Though I'm not opposed to owning them, it's not something I'm hunting down).

I think your goal is completely attainable. With enough resources, (mostly time and money), it is definitely a possibility. It just might take much longer than a straight set of 76 with different rubs.

Regardless, good luck!

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#7 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

welcome to the board....glad to see another joe collector here. enjoy your battle beast collecting amigo. post up some toy pics in a collection thread soon

#8 GM4WALLS

GM4WALLS

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

Appreciate the responses. I will only collect one set of Laser Beasts due to the cost. I managed to not spend more then $4 a piece average for the first set of 76 I have. I know that will be impossible now, given that I picked up those about 4 years ago. What is a good price per figure (average) to pay for BB with rub and weapon and LB with weapon?

#9 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

Appreciate the responses. I will only collect one set of Laser Beasts due to the cost. I managed to not spend more then $4 a piece average for the first set of 76 I have. I know that will be impossible now, given that I picked up those about 4 years ago. What is a good price per figure (average) to pay for BB with rub and weapon and LB with weapon?

Don´t think there´s a big difference in 4 years on the Battle Beasts playfield although like mentioned before the condition of the figures can play quite a crucial role when it comes to pricing these days. If you have purchased all in mint condition without any signs of playwear or paint damage for $4 each you did a hell of a job or you just got lucky finding the figs for that price. Either way you can still find figs for $4 today if your lucky but the chances of finding them at these prices in that good condition is nearly impossible, outside flea markets and garage sales if your lucky. I think its fair to say that on average a complete Battle Beasts figure with working rub and weapon in good condition these days is around $10 and some can go up towards the $20 or even a little more but that mainly goes for a select amount of serie 3 figures.

The Laser Beasts are a different story so in case you haven´t picked some up 4 years ago for a good price I´m affraid you´ll end up in a $$ ruled world because where the lower 12 LB can be found with their guns from around $30 to $60+ it goes crazy from #89 and up with prices easily going into the hundreds. But again it all depends on how much value you connect to their condition............

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#10 GM4WALLS

GM4WALLS

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

The vast majority of mine were purchased either through eBay lots or at a now out of business vintage toy store. I actually had 30+ of my original collection from when I was a kid and a few extra weapons from my brothers collection. So needless to say I had a head start.

I do expect to pay quite a bit more for the Laser Beasts. I have seen some going for over $100, which is possibly more then I can justify spending for a single figure. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it. My other thought is to trade away my modern era Joe collection for some of the pieces I will be needing. I really prefer the vintage stuff any way.

#11 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

Complete for me is when i have all the toys from a specific line that i want.

Whether it's 100 out of 100 or 10 out of 1000 doesn't matter. One i'm happy i'm done.

#12 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

The vast majority of mine were purchased either through eBay lots or at a now out of business vintage toy store. I actually had 30+ of my original collection from when I was a kid and a few extra weapons from my brothers collection. So needless to say I had a head start.

I do expect to pay quite a bit more for the Laser Beasts. I have seen some going for over $100, which is possibly more then I can justify spending for a single figure. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it. My other thought is to trade away my modern era Joe collection for some of the pieces I will be needing. I really prefer the vintage stuff any way.

Yeah some go for almost $400 each, but it comes with the territory when collecting Laser Beasts. Id start with the cheaper US Laser Beasts (First 12), you will pay around $25-$35 each (Maybe a little cheaper too).

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com