5 replies to this topic

#1 ToyMan

ToyMan

geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 11:51 PM

well, some people might think that these look goofy compared to other "blocky" figs, like kubricks, minimates or mez-itz.

Posted Image

they're actually pretty neat. i should note that "meteor man", fourth from the left, isn't actually brown. he's actually colored like he was in the cartoon.

i wasn't able to get blue falcon and dynomutt because they simply weren't in stock.

anyhow, these figs come two-per pack, $10 per pack. here's a link that lists how all of the figures (including the robotech and dbz sets) are paired off. each figure has a somewhat cheap looking "coin" that has a likeness of the corresponding character on it along with their edition number.

now, the figures actually have magnets in their feet, so these coins actually serve as a base for the figure.

as far as scale is concerned, they're taller thank kubricks, but they're shorter than minimates.

by the same coin (no pun intended) they're more articulated than kubrics, but not as articulated as minimates.

for those of you keeping score, these figures (the "humanoid" ones at least) have 12 points of articulation.

my favorite part of the design here is the shoulder joint. it's very much like the shoulder joints on the current motu figures, and allows for a much greater range of motion than any other i have seen offered on a "blocky" figure

i only have four complaints:

1) some of the costume details around the neck on meteor man and birdman are actually stickers.

2) avenger looks oddly out of scale.

3) with the exception of thundaar, they are all without weapons of any sort.

4) the wing system used for birdmn and avenger is sort of odd. it's sort of like a springless butterfly hair clasp, or something. not really bad, seeing as the level of simplicity is appropriate for this format, but leaves something to be desired.

all in all, these little plastic bastitchs are a welcome addition to my collection.

you can be sure that i'll be keeping an eye out for some of the dbz figures, and hoping for a "herculoids" set, though.

#2 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for the review! Normally, I don't dig these types of figures, but I might make an exception for these. I really dig those old Hanah-Barbarah cartoons like the Thundarr, Blue Falcon, Space Ghost, etc. Also, Harvey Birdman: Attorney At law on Adult Swim is hilarious. A Herculoids set would rock! I'll check these little guys out. Did you get them online or are they going to be released in stores like TRU or Target? I'm sure my comic book store will get them, but I hate having to pay their high prices.

#3 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 09:11 AM

$10? Damn! I'd rather pay $12 and get a full sized Thundarr and Ookla The Mock than ten for those things! Whut innna 'ell?
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#4 ToyMan

ToyMan

geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:28 PM

I'll check these little guys out. Did you get them online or are they going to be released in stores like TRU or Target? I'm sure my comic book store will get them, but I hate having to pay their high prices.

yeah, i got mine at my local comic shop, but after recently seeing the star trek minimates at target, albeit in a different package design, wouldn't be surprised if these showed up in stores in a few months, especially considering their mass retro appeal.

and, yeah - some space ghost figures would rule. ghostey and the monkey in one box, and the kids in another - actually, for marketing purposes, they'd probably put ghostey in a box with one of the kids, and the other kid boxed with the monkey. that sounds about right.

#5 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 05:12 PM

and, yeah - some space ghost figures would rule. ghostey and the monkey in one box, and the kids in another - actually, for marketing purposes, they'd probably put ghostey in a box with one of the kids, and the other kid boxed with the monkey. that sounds about right.

Some new Space Ghost figures would be great! The only Space Ghost figure I have is the one from Space Ghost Coast to Coast with Ghostey, his talk show desk, chair, note cards and coffee mug.

#6 ToyMan

ToyMan

geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 05:01 PM

whoo! :woot:

i got 13 (dynomutt) and 14 (birdman) today. good stuff. the quality is consistent with the rest of the set, which is to say that they're better than kubricks, and not as good as mnimates. still, the "magnetic feet" gimmick is pretty cool.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com