Theme© by Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Question about superhero parody figures...

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:50 AM

I was thinking maybe Doctor Strange.  So at least this pair would exist -- the combo with Mood/Doom.  But it is probably not even relevant.  A clown, an Onslaught parody, the Batmanish Superfinger, and the lead singer of the Aquabats are in the same series. 

Attached Files

#27 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:00 AM

Zobo is the resident TDD clown.  He has been painted several ways, including one that looks like Krusty.  However this version (purple suit, red hair) is unique to this particular comic-themed series. The best I can come up with is this obscure Malibu title called "Dead Clown."  Other ideas?

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 20 October 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#28 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

Here is the series/wave that I am working on:

1. Zobo I am saying is that "Dead Clown" comic above.

2. This particular version of Superfinger I am going to call a Batman parody.

3. Thunder is another one that has had several repaints.  The first one was yellow and green like Iron Fist.  The one in the Zoods series was red and blue and his pet scorpion was named "Venom," so I would call that one a Spider-Man parody.  This one I am calling a generic X-Men parody.  There is also an orange and brown variant that looks like the other X-Men outfit.  I am surprised they didn't do the black and silver outfit too.

4. Shadow was released twice, and the figure shown is the repaint for this series.  I cannot find an image of him in the Street Crew package, but this is the figure.  I will consider this to be a Doctor Strange Brother Voodoo Gunslinger Spawn parody for now.  Hopefully we can find his bio and catchphrase for another clue.

5. Lump was also released twice, the first one was purple and this one is magenta.  He is Hulk. He was also in the earlier Zoods series where his pet was a green "Gamma" ray (like a sting ray, get it?)  Man, I would really love to find that one.

6. Outrage is Onslaught.

7. Mood is Dr. Doom.

8. Aquamander Man is Christian Jacobs, the lead singer of the Aquabats.  He is also a graphic artist, skateboarder, surfer, toy collector, and co-creator of Yo Gabba Gabba!

The last three were brand new sculpts to this series and also only released in this series.

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 05 November 2015 - 07:40 PM.

#29 dixiebull

dixiebull

proprietor of the gospel of Saint M.U.S.C.L.E.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Interests:Little rubber and plastic fantasy figures..M.U.S.C.L.E., MIMP, ARCO, DFC & more. Godzilla and all his "friends", vintage toys of all kinds and 80's nostalgia, GI JOE, star wars, universal monsters, tattoos, comic books, reading and art...oh and Punk rock...sweet blessed punk rock.

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:37 PM

Getting more of a Brother Voodoo vibe from that last guy than Strange.

Yeah there is no way that one is suppose to be Strange. It kinda looks like Damien Hellstrom too, the coat at any rate. This is a hard one.

#30 dixiebull

dixiebull

proprietor of the gospel of Saint M.U.S.C.L.E.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Interests:Little rubber and plastic fantasy figures..M.U.S.C.L.E., MIMP, ARCO, DFC & more. Godzilla and all his "friends", vintage toys of all kinds and 80's nostalgia, GI JOE, star wars, universal monsters, tattoos, comic books, reading and art...oh and Punk rock...sweet blessed punk rock.

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:42 PM

Thunder, at least the blue and yellow one you have pictured, reminds me of these two characters. Mostly just because of the colors, but still. The Guardian from DC comics, and The Sentry from Marvel. 

Note: He has Yin Yang's on his feet, which would still be a nod to Iron fist too. Hmmm.

Attached Files

Edited by dixiebull, 20 October 2015 - 03:44 PM.

#31 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:21 AM

How about Gunslinger Spawn?

The skull accents are in the right place.

The flames on the outfit might have been taken from Mandarin Spawn.

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 21 October 2015 - 01:31 AM.

#32 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:39 AM

I have found Thunder in 6 different color combos. 

I believe the first two were green + yellow, and green + white.

Early on he seemed exactly like an Iron Fist parody.

Then there were these 4 variants. 

The most common, or at least most recent were red + blue, and yellow + blue. 

They paint the yin/yang on all variants. 

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 22 October 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#33 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:19 PM

Found another Thunder. More paint apps than usual. 

Kinda reminds me of Power Man, Luke Cage.  I guess.

Anything better?

Attached Files

#34 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:25 AM

Moving on from comics...

This guy is called Cheeze.

He is from a movie-themed series. 

I can't find a cardback bio.

I think it is a reference to The Warriors. 

He is dressed like Cleon, but the name seems to be a reference to Cochese. 

Agree, disagree?

Attached Files

#35 Smotemotem

Smotemotem

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Toys, Video Games, Tabletop Games, Cartoons, Superheroes, Photography.

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

Back to the 3 x 3 grid, I have some suggestions:

1. Invincible (Image)
Attached File  image.jpg   238.49K   0 downloads

3. Piledriver (Marvel)
Attached File  image.jpg   26.94K   0 downloads

6. Mister Terriffic (DC)
Attached File  image.jpg   63.99K   0 downloads

Come see my collection on Instagram: 

www.instagram.com/smotemotem/

#36 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:49 PM

Thanks man! Those are great observations and comparisons. 

I will add the 3x3 over here to the second page.

I also got a 10th Superfinger and a 2nd Shadow.  I will have to take a photo and see what you think. 

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 05 November 2015 - 05:57 PM.

#37 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

Here is the newly acquired Superfinger and Shadow.  I can't believe I found these.  I have never seen either one before or since. 

Superfinger is dark green plastic with four paint apps. Silver for the face and shirt, with black and gold paint for accents, and white paint eyes.

Shadow is lavender-colored plastic with metallic copper paint for skin, gunmetal gray for his mask and shirt, with white paint accents for the flames and stitching. 

The skull adornments are also copper, as you can see. The soles of his shoes are black, so four paint apps also.

It is pretty unusual for any TDD to have metallic paint, and I have never seen dark green or lavender used as the base plastic on any other figures.

Anyway, any suggestions as to who they represent in the comics?

These would have been at retail in 2005 or 2006, I am pretty sure. 2007 at the very latest. 

This Superfinger feels mostly like Dr. Doom and maybe it was a repaint that they did as a nod to Doom before going all in on their Mood design (see above).

It's also worth noting that this would probably be the first time Superfinger was a villain, which may or may not be significant.

Shadow I do not have a guess. But this was a brand new sculpt and most likely his first version -- not a repaint -- and it stands to reason that he was modeled after some specific character, most definitely a villain.

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 05 November 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#38 Smotemotem

Smotemotem

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Toys, Video Games, Tabletop Games, Cartoons, Superheroes, Photography.

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

I'm drawing a blank on the newest ones.

Lots of fun themes in those Ghunder variants, though.

The two-tone schemes make them much less specific.

Blue/yellow - the ones named, plus it brings Booster Gold & Nova to mind.
Attached File  image.jpg   58.09K   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   59.12K   0 downloads

Blue/black - makes me think of Nightwing and the Blue Lanterns.
Attached File  image.jpg   51.28K   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   179.06K   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   415.03K   0 downloads

Red/blue - Spidey, of course!
Attached File  image.jpg   76.56K   1 downloads

Yellow/brown - Wolvie, as was mentioned before. Also could be Kraven or Cat Man
Attached File  image.jpg   144.13K   1 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   43.99K   1 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   39.7K   1 downloads

Come see my collection on Instagram: 

www.instagram.com/smotemotem/

#39 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:09 PM

Another non-superhero of which I would like a second opinion.

His name is Radd. On the packaging it said that his occupation is as a "professional 80s skateboarder" and that his hobby is playing Pac-Man. 

I thought it was really weird that since the whole toyline consists of skateboarders that they would single out any real skateboarder to make a figure. The only pro boarder that would make any sense by name is P.J. Ladd -- but he is not of the 80s.  And it doesn't look anything like him. 

Then I thought that it has to be some fictional skateboarder from an 80s movie.  I watched some trailers on youtube and two stand out. 

One is Thrashin' staring Josh Brolin from 1986, and the other is Gleaming the Cube staring Christian Slater from 1989.

Both have been cited as influential movies by professional skateboarders.

I think the figure leans toward the first film because it is about becoming a pro skateboarder and it is really centered in the 80s, having come out 3 years earlier, but it kind of leans toward the second film because he looks more like the Christian Slater character with that hair!

It is probably a mix of both, but I wish I could say one definitively.  I don't think the name Radd is an extra clue -- or Pac-Man for that matter -- but maybe I missed something. 

Add any opinion you have on the figure or either movie. 

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 13 December 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#40 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

On the 3X3 grid,

#4 The Vision
#5 Hobgoblin

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com