26 replies to this topic

#1 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:22 AM

Sorry to make another post so soon but I realized there's a few things I've run across that aren't mentioned here (if search is any indication) so I thought I'd show them off for anyone who hasn't seen all of them:

Posted Image
Posted Image

I got these amazing body-part monsters as keychains from a company called buck bean novelties, but when I returned to their website to complete my collection and buy a few duplicates, they had ceased to exist! An ear, hand, foot, and something else were available (not for children, but I think it's a cool-looking monster!)

I have actually seen the heart, brain, lungs and eyeball on ebay, just once, in hollow glow-in-the-dark rubber with the addition of windup feet!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

These are called Choco-vaders, and are sometimes available from clawmarktoys.com - they're packaged in Japan exactly like kinder eggs, and have to be assembled. My photo doesn't do their vivid paint jobs justice. Some of them are even based on real-world UFO's and cryptozoology, including a rare Mothman figure and the Flatwoods monster.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"Lil' Bendable Gremlin Creatures" - I have a page about them and their names. These guys are very dear to me. I actually have a color variant of each one, most of which are dull blue. I liked the warm colors better for photographing.

Posted Image

Here's packaging art of the THINGZ line, which I did find some mention of in other topics here. A friend of mine scanned this for me years ago...sadly, I have never seen one of the THINGZ in person.

Posted Image

Finally, I got this pencil topper from a drug store when I was very young, and really wish I could find another one since my 6-year-old self saw fit to gouge out its other eye! I recall thinking I'd "customized it" into a cyclops. A few other creatures existed, but for the life of me I don't remember what they looked like.

#2 capn_teeth

capn_teeth

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Archaeology and Mini Boglins. Drinking beer, sci fi and rock music.

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:53 AM

I got these amazing body-part monsters as keychains from a company called buck bean novelties, but when I returned to their website to complete my collection and buy a few duplicates, they had ceased to exist! An ear, hand, foot, and something else were available (not for children, but I think it's a cool-looking monster!)

The 'something else' just looks like an upside down nose to me :lol:

They're pretty cool monsters, though.

#3 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:03 AM

It's supposed to be lady-type-bits but I do think it can pass as an innocent, generic alien with a vertical mouth (a standard monster feature anyhow)

Oddly they never had a male counterpart, an actual nose, or any digestive-themed monsters. Then again, the site I bought them wasn't the manufacturer. There could have been more that they just never got in stock.

Edited by scythemantis, 20 July 2008 - 10:04 AM.

#4 matthewf1tz

matthewf1tz

Miracle Victory Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:03 AM

those body-part monsters are pretty cool :yes:

I don't have any Thingz myself either but I keep a lazy eye out for them.

The second figure in on that awesome checklist is readily available on eBay although probably the least cool figure.

Thingz under the Bed

It's a very good price though, especially if you want to read the book to your kids or display the figure with the book

Posted Image

#5 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:44 AM

Way more odds and ends I felt like photographing!

Posted Image

No clue what this is. It's made of rock-hard plastic!

Posted Image

Some great little soft rubber monsters and aliens from Ultraman. These came blind packed.

Posted Image

Star Wars fish. Seriously. Back when Phantom Menace came out, you could buy a bag of fish from the Star Wars universe! There's more, but I'm not sure where they all are.

Posted Image

Monsters Inc. mini figures. These were sold in bags of I think two or three at Blockbuster. I kept buying more every visit, and wound up with a nearly complete set and NO doubles. My favorite isn't pictured here; the purple guy with dozens of eyes (if you've seen the movie, I'm sure you know exactly who I'm talking about!)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Creepster cars! I had the complete set but I gave away the eyeball, one of my favorites, but it was to a special person! Brain Storm and Mouth Off are my other faves.

Posted Image

These awesome little guys came in a plastic UFO, very much like a Mighty Max set. I had several other sets with different aliens and different stuff from UFO lore (even moai heads!) but these are all I managed to keep track of. The series was, as I recall, completely unnamed on plain packaging.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I got these clip-on rubber pocket creatures from a vending machine as a kid, and cut the "clips" off some of them to turn them into more normal monster toys. These are some of my favorite things ever, and I've seen them elsewhere only once; as a bag of party favors with paint on only their eyes. I don't know why I didn't buy that! I'm always on the lookout for more of these.

Posted Image

These large, very striking bendy aliens came zip-tied to unmarked cards (not even a plastic blister!) at a dollar store many years ago, and later turned up on mildly different packaging at Big Lots. I haven't seen them for sale in over ten years, and I'm not sure where the rest of them went off to...I think I had at least three or four more designs. Eyes glow in the dark!

Posted Image

One of my favorite Ghostbusters mini-ghosts, this came hidden in cans of slime.

Posted Image

My *very* favorite mini-ghost, "Soar-throat!" Also the smallest of the transparent ghosts, it came with Fright Features Egon.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Both of these are from "Mad Scientist" playsets.

Posted Image

As a kid, I thought this roaring monster lunchbox was Monster In My Pocket merchandise. It certainly looks a little like the Kraken, in a more stylized and cartoon-like appearance! I still use it to store my extra mimps, in homage to my error :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Posted Image

My favorite "real monsters" toys, especially the spiny bug and the tongue monster! These did not appear in the cartoon show. The eyeball has an amazing action feature...you flip it inside-out into a squid!
Posted Image

Posted Image

These were once extremely common in vending machines and party stores. I wish I could still find them as easily as in my youth.

Posted Image
This cute little Giger-alien and astronaut were part of a motorized magnetic game.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Rare "Ugly Stickers" jiggler monsters.

Posted Image

An adorable alien gashapon I got from clawmarktoys!

Might someone move this to "collection pics?" It might be more appropriate there, your call.

Edited by scythemantis, 07 September 2008 - 07:52 AM.

#6 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:22 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Wow. Them's are cool! I especially like that red one. Hey, have you seen TGB's Mad Scientist customs?

Thanks for sharing all these great pix!

:rolleyes:
Posted Image

#7 matthewf1tz

matthewf1tz

Miracle Victory Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:34 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Wow. Them's are cool! I especially like that red one. Hey, have you seen TGB's Mad Scientist customs?

Thanks for sharing all these great pix!

:rolleyes:

I like that purple one, it reminds me of ALF's relatives from the colector cards

Posted Image

#8 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:37 AM

some very cool things... i love this dude. He looks like Puyo, Puyo's big brother.... and he looks pissed!

Attached Files

"FRUIT OOZE IS WETLY LEWD SO
STAY DRY IN RUBBER BOOTS AND.."

#9 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:33 AM

I think I used to have that lunch box...or I played with one at someone elses house. And I believe I had the set that those little green bug aliens came from. I think they came out in the late 90's around 98 I believe. It was a box set I got at biglots that had 3 different little spaceships that popped open with 3 types of aliens and some stuff other stuff like the easter island heads or something. does that sound about right? I gave them to a little kid I knew at the time.

Posted Image

#10 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

Yep, they had the moai/easter island heads and other famous "alien" artifacts, and I got them around the mid to late 90's :mellow:

#11 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:57 AM

those creepster cars are awesome. i'm going to have to keep an eye out for orb-it, bone head and brainstorm.

the clam eyeball squid "real monster" toys remind me of this little puppet thing i got in a penny machine. i say penny but i'm pretty sure i paid at least $.50 for it.

here's the pics:

Attached File  0907081145.jpg   163.1K   11 downloadsAttached File  0907081146.jpg   225.23K   10 downloads

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#12 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:07 PM

i got this guy recently and was wondering what he was from...

"Mad Scientist" playsets

cool~!

Posted Image

Edited by Ericnilla, 07 September 2008 - 02:11 PM.

#13 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:29 PM

Posted Image

Some great little soft rubber monsters and aliens from Ultraman. These came blind packed.

Posted Image

As a kid, I thought this roaring monster lunchbox was Monster In My Pocket merchandise. It certainly looks a little like the Kraken, in a more stylized and cartoon-like appearance! I still use it to store my extra mimps, in homage to my error :mellow:

I love those SD Ultraman figures. The series is known as Tokusatsu Heroes, and exists for multiple series of Ultraman, Godzilla, Kamen Rider, Kikaider. Goranger... and who knows what else. The manufacturer, Zacca P.A.P., also has other series, Manga Heroes and Anime Heroes, done in the same style, only for various anime and manga series, obviously. Those include Saint Seiya, Rokudenashi Blues, Dr. Slump, Captain Tsubasa, Otoko Juku, Tiger Mask, even Kinnikuman!

The funny thing about that lunchbox is that someone is selling one on eBay right now, thinking but not sure that it is a MIMP product. :lol:

#14 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

Ah! I got my tokusatsu heroes from the Otakon dealer's room. I hope I end up with some more in the future, I'm sure they've made some of my favorite monsters at some point.

"Mad Scientist" playsets

cool~!

Yep, part of that same toy line with the "TOO GROSS!" activity sets. These were, oddly, made by a completely different company, but still an official Mad Scientist product. They were large boxes that included 1-3 monsters like these, a bendy mad scientist, and a whole bunch of lab tools he could hold.

I wish I could find my favorite monster from the set...it was twice as large as the others, bright green, and resembled some weird cross between a tree, a skeleton and an insect!

the clam eyeball squid "real monster" toys remind me of this little puppet thing i got in a penny machine. i say penny but i'm pretty sure i paid at least $.50 for it.

Wow, from a vending machine? I've seen larger versions sold on their own at novelty and game stores.

#15 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

These are being sold right now on blisters in K-Mart's party favor aisle:

Posted Image

Only these four molds, but the top two are completely new to me.

Sadly I seem to have lost the Choco-vaders and body organ monsters from my first post, along with my top M.I.M.P's and some of my most unique small Halloween items. I moved twice this year and would have likely kept all these in one place, since they were my favorites...but they're definitely not with me. Chances are, I'll never see these rare figures again, especially the body parts :ulp: :mcmadd: :lol:

Edited by scythemantis, 10 September 2008 - 07:53 AM.

#16 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

my heart goes out to you. when i was a kid we moved and a box of some of my greatest toys was never seen again. what's even worse is the number one toy i want from that old lost treasure is almost impossible to find. i've been searching for months to find a starriors backfire complete. i might as well start looking for chupacabra piloted ufos flying over the loch ness monster & sasquatch's tea party.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#17 bronchuseven

bronchuseven

pentagonal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:14 PM

Dang scythe, every toy you've posted in this thread is awesome! I especially like the choco-vaders (sorry to hear of their loss).

My jaw hit the floor when I saw this guy:
Posted Image
I had this dude and I had completely & utterly forgotten about him until I saw yours! As soon as our eyes met once again he came flooding back in all his glory - I can even remember how he smells!

Great thread; thanks for sharing!

#18 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

Ah! I got my tokusatsu heroes from the Otakon dealer's room. I hope I end up with some more in the future, I'm sure they've made some of my favorite monsters at some point.

What are your favorite monsters? I could point you in the right direction if I knew. They've only gotten up to Taro, but Zacca cheated and combined it with Ace, limiting which kaiju from those shows got picked.

But I'm so very sorry to hear about your lost mini-figures. Although I never lost toys in any moves, I always kept my favorite stuff with me, usually in a backpack or something, rather than take a chance with a box performing a disappearing act! Clawmark still has some Choco Vaders, including half of your old collection, but those things are a tad pricey. No chance at all that they're actually around but unpacked or misplaced?

#19 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:22 AM

Nope, 100% of what I brought is in one room and I systematically went through every box :lol:

#20 stoneyface

stoneyface

cthulhu cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts
  • Interests:muscle, satan cross!, cthulhu, vintage toys, biking, camping, burner community, deep house and psytrance raves.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

in the second picture down, i absolutely love the octopus thing in the middle line and especially love the middle one in the bottom row with the moai statue from rapa nui! i have a particular affinity for those statues. any chance you would sell that one?

Want a window into my demented mind? toys, movies, cool stuff around the world @ http://cthuluconnect.blogspot.com/

DMT= insert universe into cannon, aim at brain, fire.

ユデッキー - Yudekkii are you one? サタンクロス æ°¸é ã«!(satan cross forever!)
é¢ç™½ã„! happysmoke.gif

#21 bronchuseven

bronchuseven

pentagonal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

Unfortunately, scythemantis seems to have lost all of the choco-vaders during a move, including your favourite <_<

#22 stoneyface

stoneyface

cthulhu cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts
  • Interests:muscle, satan cross!, cthulhu, vintage toys, biking, camping, burner community, deep house and psytrance raves.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

/me cries

Want a window into my demented mind? toys, movies, cool stuff around the world @ http://cthuluconnect.blogspot.com/

DMT= insert universe into cannon, aim at brain, fire.

ユデッキー - Yudekkii are you one? サタンクロス æ°¸é ã«!(satan cross forever!)
é¢ç™½ã„! happysmoke.gif

#23 Theodidactus

Theodidactus

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

Yep, they had the moai/easter island heads and other famous "alien" artifacts, and I got them around the mid to late 90's :mellow:

I realize this thread's pretty ancient, but I'm trying to track down this toy. Anyone know a way to uniquely identify it so I can ask for it online or at specialty toy stores?

#24 Theodidactus

Theodidactus

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

I realize this thread's pretty ancient, but I'm trying to track down this toy. Anyone know a way to uniquely identify it so I can ask for it online or at specialty toy stores?

http://www.spectrumisgreen.com/Playsets/UFO/ufo.html

#25 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

"Mad Scientist" playsets

cool~!

Posted Image

Eric, have you still got this beauty!?
Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com