399 replies to this topic

#51 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 10:57 AM

Personally, I never did get into Star Wars action figures. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars, but the toys are bland, much like G. I. Joes from the 80's! So small, and they don't really do anything. I used to have some of the Street Fighters ones way back when, and they don't really impress me as much.

I like BIG action Figures... I'm not saying they should be as big as the Fozzie Bear figure (that's huuuuuge!!!), but something along the lines of Homer Simpsons sized. Something you can display without propping up against something.

Personally, I just get the Applause figurines and Pez Despensers.
Posted Image

#52 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2003 - 11:34 AM

But don’t forget to give credit where credit is due. The Star Wars line of toys forever altered the path of action figures, and movie tie-ins (although they may have killed it too with Episode I).

#53 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 07:09 PM

So what are the chances we see Coleman Trebor and Coleman Trebor turned into figures?

What about the new "commando" Coleman Trebors?

I think we'll get Coleman Trebor, but it could turn out very Coleman Trebor. It will be "realistic" Coleman Trebors based on Coleman Trebor.

Dude... you're, like, obsessing over Coleman Trebor! This is NOT healthy, man!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#54 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2003 - 08:45 PM

I hope this is your friends and not you. :(

This has been a good thread, please don't hijack (sp?) it.

#55 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:08 PM

Okay, back on track...

Where the eff is coverage of Hasbro at Toy Fair? Is the Clone Wars line and the pitifully few figures shown on Hasbro.com all they had? Were they even there?!

I'm pretty disappointed that we didn't see more, especially since a lot of the Clone Wars toys were just repaints of previous toys. Just what we need... a teal-colored Jedi Starfighter...:(

And what's with Jello-slashing Luke Jedi Unleashed?!

-Nathan

#56 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:12 PM

Well, the thing is, there's less of a "toy-able" "Creature effect" in Episode 2. You get fewer Cantina and Jabba Palace scenes with random aliens to make toys of.

#57 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 02:37 PM

And to be frank, those were always more fun. In Episode 2, we're stuck with Congressmen and Genosians.

#58 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 03:11 PM

In Episode 2, we're stuck with Congressmen...

Which I don't mind at all... as long as they're actually SHOWN in the movie! There were dozens of awesome aliens in the Senate scenes of both Episode 1 and 2 that were cut from the movies. Hammerheads, bat people, glassy-eyed aliens... plenty of great stuff! But those aliens were cut to keep the length of the movie down. Hey, George... how about instead of cutting out the cool aliens, cut out those horrible Anakin and Padme scenes! Anakin riding on that 4-legged tick was atrocious...

-Nathan

#59 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2003 - 03:36 PM

"Where the eff is coverage of Hasbro at Toy Fair? Is the Clone Wars line and the pitifully few figures shown on Hasbro.com all they had? Were they even there?!"

I've heard that big companies really aren't as worried about the toy firs anymore. The really concern at toy fair is the smaller companies. It is their make-or-break season.

Hasbro just had a great write up by CBSStockWatch.com (I think that's it), so I don't think they have to really blow anybody away anymore. Who doesn't know about SW.

And Jello Slashing Luke does suck big time! Unleashed has been a complete waste of plastic.

#60 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2003 - 12:21 PM

http://www.starwars....ws20030311.html

Here is a link to some information about 2 new figures. I think Durge looks pretty cool, but Anakin is basically a re-paint (I think?).

Here's a pic of the Durge...

Attached Files

#61 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the pic, Veers. Durge looks very cool! I'll definately pick up one of those figures. It would be the first Star Wars figure I have gotten in a while.

#62 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 12:50 PM

...but Anakin is basically a re-paint (I think?).

The figure is not really a repaint. It just looks very similar to this other Anakin figure...

Anakin Tatooine Attack

Which, of course, underlines the complaint that the Star Wars line is repetitive.

As for Durge, he looks very comic-booky and very Expanded-Universey. That's not really my thing...

-Nathan

#63 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2003 - 04:05 PM

I agree he's a little "comic-booky and very Expanded-Universey" but at least it is a somewhat new design. This figure looks different, but he could be part of the SW universe.

I looked at it this way. If he and Jango hated each other, then they would have to battle at some point. They are the ying and yang of 2 evil bounty hunters. Jango was clean cut with fine lines, while Durge is big, dirty, and has rough lines.

Well that's what I think. The only thing that could ruin him is if his voice and antics suck.

#64 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 09:35 AM

The only thing that could ruin him is if his voice and antics suck.

Well, I think they'll make him into the "ultimate" bounty hunter, the most feared in the galaxy, always gets his prey, only interested in money, blah blah (all those cliches that used to apply to Boba and Jango). And his voice will likely sound exactly like the cartoon Wolverine. I'm calling it now, so place your bets... :angry:

By the way, here's some new Hasbro SW toys:

Hasbro Collector's Event: Star Wars

I thought that Anakin's Starfighter was pretty cool, and the Jedi Council 3-pack was nifty (as long as the snake guy has some kind of articulation), but other than that, I didn't find all that much interesting.

-Nathan

#65 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2003 - 10:09 AM

This was where I was looking at the new stuff...
http://www.galactich...ro_press_event/

The ARC Trooper was interesting...
http://www.galactich...0&box=&shownew=

I think it may act as a nice bridge to the Stormtrooper.

I'm also happy about the 3-packs (Jedis, Battle Droids, & Clone Troopers) for $10. It shows that Hasbro may now be getting the idea about gearing the line towards kids, at least somewhat. I think anythime it moves in that direction you get a better toy. I'm not really in love with the McFarlane style sculpts (ie, detail but no play value).

The "Cinema Scenes" look pretty good too. It would be cool to have the full Jedi Council, which I think they are shooting for.

The most troubling thing for me was the talk of re-releases. I don't want to see that, hopefully there aren't too many.

#66 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 01:17 PM

I like the ARC Trooper. Nice looking figure. I agree that it would make a fine bridge to the Stormtroopers.

#67 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 09:48 PM

The ARC Trooper was interesting... I think it may act as a nice bridge to the Stormtrooper.

Actually, I was thinking it was sort of a cross between the Fett costume and the Clonetrooper (because of the view finder). But you're right... it does have some Sandtrooper qualities to it, too.

I'm also happy about the 3-packs (Jedis, Battle Droids, & Clone Troopers) for $10.

I'm not all that thrilled with the Jedis or the Battle Droids (we have plenty of those to begin with), but I think the Clone Troopers are pretty cool. I might have to get a set of those.

The "Cinema Scenes" look pretty good too. It would be cool to have the full Jedi Council, which I think they are shooting for.

Yeah, I think after this all they need is Yaddle and one other...? And you're right... no more rereleases! New stuff!

-Nathan

#68 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2003 - 07:02 AM

I just wanted to clear up why I was happy with the 3 packs. It allows kids to build up their armies fairly cheap and fairly quick. These packs are supposed to be about $10, so that's $3.33 a figure. Much better than the current price for Jedi, Battle Droids, and Clone Troopers. Do you know what I mean?

#69 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 08:38 AM

Yeah, I see what you mean. I don't think Hasbro intended these army packs for the kids, though. I think they are mainly responses to those bootleg Clone Trooper army packs that were so popular a while back with collectors. Also, Hasbro probably saw with the Fan Club exclusive troop builder packs that collectors will literally buy dozens of the same figure if they're army builders. So, I think that Hasbro is mainly appealing to collectors here.

If you think about it, when you were a kid, did you ever buy a bunch of a certain type of figure so that you could have an army? I didn't... I bought a few extra Ewoks, but that's about it. Usually, I wanted toys I didn't have when I was buying new stuff.

-Nathan

#70 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2003 - 12:43 PM

Actually I did. I was a very weird child. That's how MY army started. I had so many different Imperials from when I was a kid that I needed to do something with them.

I always wanted to be as "movie accurate" as possible. I had multiple Hoth Soldiers, Endor Soldiers, Bespin Guards, etc.

#71 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2003 - 07:09 AM

After bashing Star Wars and Hasbro I thought I would flashback to a happier time, and I didn't want to start a new thread.

This Sunday my girlfriend and I went to a flea market that is held every Sunday near my house. Normally everything is over-priced, but if you are faithful you sometimes get a find. Well that happened for me on Sunday.

There was an old lady over charging for vintage SW figures. However there was a figure worth the $15 that I paid. I found a vintage Lumat in mint condition, but missing his bow. Here's a link to a picture...
http://www.rebelscum.../VINlumat-f.jpg

I really debated buying it, because it didn't have its weapon and the lady was such a bee-eye-itch. You know the kind of person that tells you how rare each figure is, and how each figure is worth SO much because it is SO old. I finally had to tell the lady to shut up because I just needed to think if buying the figure was worth it.

Anyway it was nice to plug a hole in my vintage collection. It took me back to a time of SW being innocent and fun, something Hasbro can't understand (Hey I didn't want to make it completely off topic B) ).

#72 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 07:29 AM

Good score.

I think we should rename this thread:
Return of the living dead!
because it keeps coming back to life...hehehehe B)

#73 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 05:50 AM

Good job, man! I completely understand what you're saying about the flea market scrubs... they're just as bad as toy dealers in terms of overcharging (and over-selling) their toys. $15 is a bit pricey for a Lumat... but sometimes it's worth paying the extra money just so you don't have to worry about the debacle that often ensues with Ebay auctions. Besides, the instant gratification of buying the toy is always nice, instead of waiting another week or two for the figure to arrive.

Speaking of a happier time, I remember when I first started collecting toys in high school (about 10 years ago... yeesh), I was telling my collecting buddy how I loved Amanaman, and wished I had one. He said that he'd seen Amanaman at a dealer's store for about $20. I was like, "$20 for a friggin' action figure?! No way it's worth that much!" Ah, little did I know how much POTF85 figures would skyrocket in price...

Those were the days... :(

-Nathan

#74 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2003 - 12:22 PM

Well I made another vintage pick up…
http://cgi.ebay.com/...3126649215&rd=1

I know it’s a little steep but the ship looks great, it has a Luke pilot in good shape, and a nice box. Overall I think I did pretty well, and if I didn’t please don’t burst my bubble.

I think my near completion of my MUSCLE flesh and color sets, and distaste of current SW toys (which I still buy :mellow: ), has sent me into vintage mode.

#75 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 12:40 PM

I think it's a good purchase... I'm not too sure how much B-Wings usually go for, but the box looks pretty nice, and the toy looks like it's in great shape. I love the original boxes for the vehicles and creatures because they show the toys in a cool diorama. And the B-Wing is a freaking AWESOME ship (my favorite of the vintage line), so I think you got your money's worth. You might want to think about picking up that POTF2 rebel pilot 3-pack. Ten Numb looks pretty groovy in the pilot's seat of the B-Wing!

And although I complain incessantly about the new SW figures, I do think that the new Mynock Hunt Chewie and Han Hoth look pretty nice, and they're characters I'm not sick and tired of seeing. I don't like the other figures like the new Luke and Vader because they've been done so much that I don't care about new versions anymore. I think a new Lando would be nice, too.

-Nathan

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com