Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Game of Thrones Building Sets (McFarlane Toys)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

GoT.png

After the success of McFarlane's Walking Dead building sets, they have increased their non-LEGO influence to Game of Thrones, which means... hey, look!  Castles and medieval stuff!  Currently, the line has individual figures, a few banners, and one ginormous and awesome Iron Throne set (a few more are on the way, but not in stores yet).  Yeah, we're getting the preamble out of the way really fast.  This review is going to show off the throne room set as well as most of the mini figures - I couldn't find the dragon.  I tried.  I ended up with like nine Jon Snows, but no dragon.  Graaaargh, me like dragons.

GoT-Pieces.png

Anyway, the $30 Throne Room set - despite how it may look when assembled, it is essentially LEGO bricks, only with textures.  It's reasonably complicated, though not that hard to put together.

GoT-Assembled.png

When assembled, you will note that certain details, such as the window, are adjustable.  lso, the Iron Throne doesn't perfectly fit on the tile it is meant to plug into, but you can swap that one out for a flat "marble" piece, and just set the throne down as-is.

GoT-Candlestand.png

The candelabras are surprisingly complex, but sturdy once assembled.

GoT-Star.png

Here's another look at that window.

GoT-IronThrone.png

And here's the Iron Throne. It's made up of four or five pieces.

GoT-IronThroneRoom.png

It's a pretty good-looking set with a lot of bulk, though it only come with two figures - Joffrey (dammit Joffrey!) and one royal guard.  A second guard can be found in the blind bags.

GoT-Joffrey.png

Dammit, Joffrey!

GoT-Tyrion.png

Looking at some of the blind-bagged figures, here's Tyrion.

GoT-Daenerys.png

Daenerys Targeron. I couldn't find her dragon.

GoT-Unsullied.png

A pair of Unsullied, including The Worm. Those poor castrati!

GoT-DireWolf.png

A really cool Dire Wolf, which makes up for NEVER FINDING THAT DRAGON.

GoT-Crow.png

Crow, who is nearly identical to Jon Snow. I have a ton of both, but seem to hve forgotten to phorograph Jon Snow. Don't worry, you will see a ton of him.

GoT-WildmanSpear.png

A Wildman with a spear!

GoT-Wight.png

A Wight, because sometimes the series acknowledges the huge zombie monster threat. Usually it's totally fine with politics, though.

GoT-WickedCouncil.png

Joffrey's listening to some pretty bad council... and ya know, there's a lot of fun to be had using this set with other figures! Wanna see?

GoT-Naberius.png

Instead of the normal guards, here's Naberius!

GoT-Belial.png

Belial fits very well on the Iron Throne - it's practically the same dimensions as his.

GoT-MolochCowKing.png

The Cow King reigns.

GoT-Uriel02.png

And for some real awesomeness, all you have to do is place a light behind that window. A normal smartphone is even the right size and dimensions, too! The Archangel Uriel looks fantastic in this setting.

GoT-BaalKingOfHell.png

Change the light to red, and the arch-demon Ba'al has a throne room!

GoT-Overthrown.png

Joffrey has been overthrown! And that's pretty much the deal with this - I can't stop playing with this fantastic backdrop, even though I'm not the biggest GOT fan in the world.

Got-LEGO.png

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

It seems like the dragon would be a thick and heavy pack.  It is actually the third lightest.  Check only the very lightweight packs and feel for the wings.

Attached Files

#3 Rpreatto

Rpreatto

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Minis, DC, Marvel, MOTU, Mostly anything under 5'.
    McFarlane figurines, Eaglemoss, Heroclix. I'm a painter/illustrator and sculptor. Building scenes and dioramas since I was 7 now I have more disposable income...dont tell my wife.

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:56 PM

I started with TWD and had to grab these also. I got the 1st 2 houses Stark and Lannister along with a few blind bags.

#4 BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Secretly re-living the 80's behind my wifes back.

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

I'm going to have to grab one of those Iron Throne sets- Too Cool!

#5 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:57 PM

The iron thrones are on clearance at Gamestop for $15.

I also just remembered -- concerning the BB dragon -- it is also the only one without a STAND in the package!  So feel up the lightweight packs until you find one without a stand inside.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com