Theme© by Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

The return of...Robo Force and...MORDLES!

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

#26 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Rocks and Bugs and Things, Mordles, Robo Force, Glyos, Manglors

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Will there be any ordering limits, at least on the first release?

I will probably have a quantity limit for a certain timeframe.
Things are...fluid right now as to quantities and such. But I am nailing them down this week.
I think I will have one "immordle" edition where the quantities are a lot higher than the other colors because I think people will want this one color over the others.
I don't intend for things to sell out immediately.
If we find that happens, I'll adjust accordingly.
This isn't Mattel. You're talking to the one and only.

The one of each club can work pretty well i think. If you look at the way spanky stokes pulled it off with his artist strolls it seems to work perfectly. I know a few people who would be all over something like that simply because with toys as old as the ones we love we tend to be old enough to have the income to buy what we want but it's time that is hard to find. So being around for a drop is a difficult task, The 10 or 20 or 30 bucks we need to cough up is easy in comparison.

I'm going to really look at this carefully.

Don't confuse the anger which surrounds the Mattel subs with something like this. Their main issue is that everyone hates Digital River. Then there's the price of the figures, which, when you're forced to buy figures you don't want, makes you mad. Also, the MOTU line is a conglomeration of 3 'different' 80's toy lines (and that's not including all the 2002 series, and any other weird characters they throw in there), one of which was a Girls line. The hard core Classic series fans don't always want all of the she-ra characters, and vice versa. It's all kind of a mess really. But for something like Mordles, well, you get what you expect, Mordles. No ones sitting there going,"Hey! Why are there no hot wheels in my sub!!??".

Especially if you intend to include some cool variants, I think you should definitely have subs. The hardcore fans can gettem, the rest can cherry pick as they please. I know I personally would LOVE a sub feature for this, cause, I want ALL the MORDLES!!!

A simple question about subscriptions and clubs, just so I can get some feedback. Do people consider variant eye colors a "new" figure? For instance, it's not going to be a shock to anyone that one of the Mordle colors is going to be yellow. If the first release has a Mordle with blue eyes, would people consider a green-eyed yellow Mordle in the third release a "new" figure that they would want
Not that I've considered that, or think it would come up much. Since no original tooling exists, :sad4: the new Mordles are completely new and there is no colorway that can't be done except by law (it has to do with certain paints not being allowed to be used).

Hoping to have a preview of one of the new Mordles for you guys this week!

John K.
DoctorKent - the once and future master of ROCKS AND BUGS AND THINGS! now known as MORDLES.
Returning to your toy stories - 2013.
www.toyfinity.com

#27 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hoping to have a preview of one of the new Mordles for you guys this week!

:shok:
Posted Image

#28 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

Oh wonderful joy! What a concept! DoctorKent, you actually bought the copyright to Mordles (Rocks & Bugs & Things)??!!! Superb. Do you plan on reproducing the original sculpts? Or original AND new sculpts? Or entirely new designs?

Actually I had a thought. Soupie, is this one of your elaborate April Fools Day tricks a few weeks early? I remember you pulled one several years ago with Mordles as the bait. :)

The God Beast did some commission orders for full sets a while ago. The crystal clear version was done by him once and I am the proud owner of one of those sets. He aptly named that the Stealth set as they glow purple under black light. Definitely one of my trophy figure sets!

While the Mordles topic is up. I have always wanted to know who was the sculptor of the original Mordles? Some poor guy in China comissioned by Ideal? Did he do any other sculpting orders for them or anyone else? Wouldn't it be cool to know about the painter who created the box designs for RBTs? I have always thought the next evolution for this site would be to research these professionals (our toy heroes) and invite them on here for pod casts or some type of forum discussion. Give them a chance to enjoy praise from those who truly appreciate their art and creations. And it would allow for their input in next gen designs that apparently are before us. Although translation may be a difficult hurdle.

I will be intently following along for purchase opportunities. DoctorKent, will paint apps be minimal (eyes/teeth/mouth only)? Will they all be bipedal? Will they get really crazy with horns, beards, mutations/deformations? Personally, I have always wanted chomp marks. That's right, a big ragged gouge taking out a portion of their body! Because it is hell being a hunted little critter.

#29 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

Sorry. In my excitement I didn't see DK's last response. Answered ?s about old vs new sculpts. One other related thought. What the hell would Ideal or any inheriting company do with the master molds? Paper weights? I hope not. Just another reason why we need a research division here! Sequester? What sequester? But really, would they be locked away for perpetuity in some forlorn warehouse? It would be great if they were unearthed and delivered to the new rightful owner.

#30 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

I too would love repros of the originals in PVC. However, would love to see new sculpts as well of course. And while I wouldn't mind some gimmicks like spikes and beards, I also hope a few of the new ones fit right in with the original sculpts.

Phantom: haha, I don't recall that April fool's day trick, but I have a notoriously bad memory. And I wouldn't put it past myself. e+ However, this current project is no gag.
Posted Image

#31 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

First, the sneak:
Posted Image
I uploaded this to my blog the other day just as a test, and barely anyone noticed it...
The first Mordle is the classic "ripsaw" Mordle! Same one as my avatar.
No new sculpting involved, he is a hair smaller than the original but still packed full of the classic attitude that has made him a fan-favorite for so many years.
KEEP IN MIND (said loudly so you read this line) this is what is called a "test shot" so I know exactly what the tooling creates. This is not a colorway for the new Mordles. They will have painted parts - including something newly painted to make them different than the vintage ones.
The sculptor of the original RBT was someone in the US. I believe they passed away a number of years ago, but I don't have 100% confirmation on this.
I've been trying to find out the painter of the box art for years! Be nice to have him or her come back and do a new piece for the line.

John K.
DoctorKent - the once and future master of ROCKS AND BUGS AND THINGS! now known as MORDLES.
www.toyfinity.com

#32 Fuzz

Fuzz

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy collecting obscure toy lines from the 80s, as well as some of the newer stuff like NECA's Predator line.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Awesome!!! :woot:

I'm thinking its gonna be their nails that are getting painted.

Edited by Fuzz, 23 March 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#33 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

That's exciting.

#34 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Money! Quadrupleplusgood! These shall sell like cocaine-laced hotcakes!
Posted Image

#35 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

Can't find a link to your blog anywhere mate.
Posted Image

#36 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Can't find a link to your blog anywhere mate.

http://pheydenfans.blogspot.com/

John K.
www.toyfinity.com

#37 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

That is awesome! I had wondered if you were able to reproduce the original figures. I know you have the rights to the line but I had just assumed whatever was made by the previous company stayed with them.

Pheyden blue, EMD orange and Remnant Pheyden green please!

#38 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Oh Wow! Ripsaw looks totally cloned and that's good! So cool in a color other than yellow. That's the beauty with your endeavor DK. We will see mordles in colors never seen before. Except, of course, the test shots seen on the backside of the original boxes. I have a few GodBeast repros with no paint apps at all and I totally love the look. It brings out the depth in a unique way. I love your red test shot just the way he is. Just dump those babies out of the molds and send em out that way. All right, I admit paint apps should definitely be done for sure. But unpainted would be a great option and wouldn't it cut down on overhead expense (paint/painter fees/time to paint). Or would it add expense by having an additional production channel? DK, did you mention variable sizes? I like the idea of micromordles or cantaloupemordles. :lol:
You are so brainstorming with the idea of original painter comissioned for your new line. What a touch that would bring to the table. Very, very optimistic I am now!

#39 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

I am probably in the minority, but I'd love to see some mutant mordles, and maybe predator class style mordles, too. Maybe ones with sharper fangs or some shit.

I have always been interested in the line, but have always been turned off by it's relative exclusivity. I am pretty damned excited about what you've got coming out.

#40 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

I am probably in the minority, but I'd love to see some mutant mordles, and maybe predator class style mordles, too. Maybe ones with sharper fangs or some shit.

Oh no, I am right there with you. I know there are two that I am really looking forward to being made.

#41 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

id like to see non-painted mordles just like its shown in the pic. paint ruins toys. :lol:

#42 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

there needs to be a mordle in a top hat.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#43 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

Probably getting way ahead of myself here but you should consider releasing a flesh color non-painted version. I think you would be shocked at it's popularity especially here on LRG and in the vinyl community. A classic toy deserves the most iconic classic colorway in the world.

#44 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

id like to see non-painted mordles just like its shown in the pic. paint ruins toys. :lol:

+1

Yes, even in the "art toy" vinyl community there is love for blanko figures. Plus, it provides a blank canvas for customizers. Of course, it shouldn't be a problem if they do come with minor paint apps... :notme:

Edited by Soupie, 24 March 2013 - 05:17 AM.

Posted Image

#45 nanoFatato

nanoFatato

Chi sono? Da dove vengo?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Ok, I was searching through websites for a little more info about this toyline (never sold in my country) and I came up with THIS. http://thegodbeast.b...am-mordles.html

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#46 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

yeah he has a thread here somewhere showing off all his mordle customs. he was selling them here for a while too.

#47 Bagface

Bagface

The Customs Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Reading, Boobs, Video Games, M.U.S.C.L.E men... Just a lot of geekery in general.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

Ok, I was searching through websites for a little more info about this toyline (never sold in my country) and I came up with THIS. http://thegodbeast.b...am-mordles.html

That was a really cool video! It was neat seeing how stuff like that is done. Is the casting of minitures pretty much the same thing just on a smaller scale?

#48 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

I have always been interested in the line, but have always been turned off by it's relative exclusivity. I am pretty damned excited about what you've got coming out.

There are definitely new-style Mordles in the pipeline. I don't want to invoke "the future" too much until you guys see what the first line-up is.
"Ripsaw" has some friends you'll be meeting over the next few weeks.

If sales permit, I will do unpainted ones and pass along as much of a cost break that it allows so you can customize them (or use them in story however you want).

Probably getting way ahead of myself here but you should consider releasing a flesh color non-painted version. I think you would be shocked at it's popularity especially here on LRG and in the vinyl community. A classic toy deserves the most iconic classic colorway in the world.

Ha! I hadn't thought about this. MUSCLES pink like OMFG has? Or more of a flesh color?
Something I can definitely do if people respond well.

John K.
www.toyfinity.com

#49 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

There are definitely new-style Mordles in the pipeline. I don't want to invoke "the future" too much until you guys see what the first line-up is.
"Ripsaw" has some friends you'll be meeting over the next few weeks.

If sales permit, I will do unpainted ones and pass along as much of a cost break that it allows so you can customize them (or use them in story however you want).

Ha! I hadn't thought about this. MUSCLES pink like OMFG has? Or more of a flesh color?
Something I can definitely do if people respond well.

John K.

I would buy the crap out of any flesh colored "Ripsaw" mordles.

#50 Pseudomancer

Pseudomancer

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:The Trash Pack, Kinder eggs, Hello Kitty. Looking to start collecting Monster in My Pocket, and maybe flesh M.U.S.C.L.E.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, flesh Mordles would be so classic!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com