97 replies to this topic

#26 bobsinbobsled

bobsinbobsled

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:06 AM

@ Guy Kinniku: I appreciate your concern, but that's not what I was going for, a complete overhaul. It would be the same Kinnikuman we know and love, but funnier, and in English. And maybe a significantly higher voice. My plan is to keep all original BGM and get close-to-exact SFX for it. The only music that might be changed would be vocal songs, but then they would remain very close to the original words. And about the pig joke... we all have our own sense of humor, I just personally found that to be more laughable than just saying he looked like a pig. And it's still generally faithful, since he's still talking about the same thing, it's not like he just randomly says something unrelated, as I have learned doesn't work from seeing many terrible abridged series.

@ Kawai Kenni: You have to promise not to laugh... This is a VERY VERY rough version, I am planning on making it a lot catchier, and changing a lot to be closer to the original.
Note that this is just the first two verses of the song, not even the full TV version.

Go! Go! Muscle!
Flash like lightning, dashing straight across the ring
Fire is blazing, an aura of the fighting king

Part the dark sea, with the Kinniku Beam
Screaming for me, I go for the win
I'm the man
-A clutz you mean-
The muscle man
-I guess we'll see-
I'm Kinnikuman
I'll come running
-Stumbling-
Brave and stunning
-Tumbling-
And if you're that kind with no love left in your chest
I'm a superhero, and I'll beat you like the rest
Kinnikuman, go fight!

If you'd like to see some of my other work, I have a couple songs written for Soul Eater, One Piece, Bobobo, and also original songs and parodies that I can share upon request (I'd have to find them lol)

But you guys should totally check out Sketch for Suguru. (youtube.com/thesketchor). He can go deep, but I was kinda thinking I liked a high whiny voice for Kinnikuman, like an older version of what they did in the dub.

#27 Kawaii Kenni

Kawaii Kenni

Former Resident Song Translator & Self-Proclaimed Freelancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:01 AM

Oh... Oh my... Well... I-If that's what you're going for. It's just... I definitely know where there is an attempt to make a catchy song, but a lot of it comes out of nowhere. Umm, I'll tell you what. I'll do "Kinnikuman Go Fight", myself, and put it up on my thread, and then you can have a go at editing it when you know what the song fully means. Is that okay?
Former resident song translator, and as a result, probably the distant, insignificant relative of the translation family on this board.

Update (7/1/2012 [7th Jan]) - Years away can calm a mind down quite well. I don't think of myself as some maligned martyr of the site. Rather it's just that I was unfortunately caught by the mudslinging of a rather unpleasant (and unprofessional) translator, who didn't like people taking the spotlight away from him, particularly if they happened to actually be able to properly translate work, as opposed to him. Nevertheless, despite the fact that all my work was my own, I got constantly accused of plagiarism, thanks to this unpleasant individual constantly saying how I stole his work. (When rather, it was going to end up being the other way round.)

I'm a lot more forgiving about the whole ideal, with how I ended up getting treated on this forum, as a result of this incident, but at the same time, I am still not in any mind to come back and join in again, nor will I uplaod any more of my translation work on here. This includes any of my old work, or my newer and much more accurate work. Some may see this as being petty, spiteful or based off an old grudge, and you may be right. However, I thought I'd explain things a little.

#28 bobsinbobsled

bobsinbobsled

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

Hahaha yeah, that was kinda the response I was expecting. Yeah, go ahead and do it. There are probably plenty of imperfections in the rhythm of it, as it's a very rough copy, and also the fact that I just put the japanese into Google Translate to get the English.

Although I think I made the rhymes work okay-ly. But I'll leave it to the professionals.

#29 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:10 PM

On keeping the background music and sfx-- good luck. The tracks are in mono. No 'polarity reversing the left track to form a null where the voice is' trick. You'll have to redo them entirely, or make do.

I found out why there's little fandubbing.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#30 bobsinbobsled

bobsinbobsled

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:21 AM

On keeping the background music and sfx-- good luck. The tracks are in mono. No 'polarity reversing the left track to form a null where the voice is' trick. You'll have to redo them entirely, or make do.

I found out why there's little fandubbing.

Ah, but there's a trick, my good man. I cannot believe I just said that.

I'm almost absolutely sure that the Catalan dub is stereo. I have yet to try it, but the sound quality in it seems to be much better than the original japanese audio. But I may be wrong. Otherwise, I do have an extensive collection of BGM and SFX from previously fandubbed projects, so I'm not entirely convinced that'd be a problem.

And while I'm talking to you, I did read through the five pages of discussion on the movie dub, and judging by the response, you sounded kickass as Terry. Any chance you could reupload them possibly, just so I could hear? If you don't have them any more, I don't want you to bother re-recording them, as it may be just that-- a bother. But if you still have them, I'd love to give a listen.

Oh yeah, and I was talking to TheGreatPirateKing (PirateBeck) about this, and he said he'd like to sign onto the project in the future as a mixer, so... yeah.

#31 Kawaii Kenni

Kawaii Kenni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:08 AM

I only wish I had some good recording equipment (read: any recording equipment at all that works), because I can do a passable Asuraman.
Former resident song translator, and as a result, probably the distant, insignificant relative of the translation family on this board.

Update (7/1/2012 [7th Jan]) - Years away can calm a mind down quite well. I don't think of myself as some maligned martyr of the site. Rather it's just that I was unfortunately caught by the mudslinging of a rather unpleasant (and unprofessional) translator, who didn't like people taking the spotlight away from him, particularly if they happened to actually be able to properly translate work, as opposed to him. Nevertheless, despite the fact that all my work was my own, I got constantly accused of plagiarism, thanks to this unpleasant individual constantly saying how I stole his work. (When rather, it was going to end up being the other way round.)

I'm a lot more forgiving about the whole ideal, with how I ended up getting treated on this forum, as a result of this incident, but at the same time, I am still not in any mind to come back and join in again, nor will I uplaod any more of my translation work on here. This includes any of my old work, or my newer and much more accurate work. Some may see this as being petty, spiteful or based off an old grudge, and you may be right. However, I thought I'd explain things a little.

#32 bobsinbobsled

bobsinbobsled

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

I only wish I had some good recording equipment (read: any recording equipment at all that works), because I can do a passable Asuraman.

Ah, that would be quite the long wait before Ashuraman appears. Enough time to go out and get some recording stuff. I personally can't reccomend anything, because Macs come with near-to-perfect mics, but you should go out and check Radioshack or something to find a mic. It's always good to have.

A note, I haven't personally tried it, but if you have Rock Band, I've heard that the mic for the PS3 version (with USB) is one of the clearest you can get, and it works on the computer. Not owning either Rock Band or the PS3, I could not try it, but it may work for you.

#33 Kawaii Kenni

Kawaii Kenni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

I can't even buy the cheap stuff, at the moment. I'm heading into university, and that's gonna suck up all my money.

#34 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

With Crisis in New York, I'm going to do all of the project myself-- but if you do the first 'season' as a fandub, I'd be willing to do Terry, Skullduggery and Slab, and maybe Ramenman or Wolf/Sosumi/Rikishiman. Not both, though-- same accent, different delivery. Just sounds like Ramenman has a cold, or Sosumi got a histerectemy.

I had a decent amount of Crisis done, but the computer drive screwed up and lost most of it.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

#35 bobsinbobsled

bobsinbobsled

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:43 AM

Not that I personally have anything against you, but I'd rather just have you voice one or two characters. Being a long-time member of the VAA, I can probably cast/scout a good number of people to help do voices. Oh, and one more thing I'd like to ask...
Burning Inner Strength, "The Fire", or Ultimate Muscle?

#36 Kawaii Kenni

Kawaii Kenni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:41 AM

Burning Inner Strength would be the closest translation. Plus, it's succinct, to the point (Pleonasms... Yummy!), and is also vague enough to not make it sound like it's just a Kinniku Tribe trait.

#37 Idol Choujin Showtime

Idol Choujin Showtime

Nezumi-Otoko for President!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts (Jeet Kune Do, Tai Chi, Aikido), manga and anime, drawing mangas, Kurosawa Akira and Woody Allen and Stanley Kubrick films, Japanese food and culture, breathing, Mystery Science Theater 3000, political humor, voice actors, flying by farting, wrestling, and the music of Frank Zappa

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

and maybe Ramenman or Wolf/Sosumi/Rikishiman. Not both, though-- same accent, different delivery.

I keep telling you it's NOT the same accent, Ramenman is Chinese, Wolfman is Japanese. Two entirely different languages. Even if you want to get offensive and stereotypical about it, Chinese are typically given a higher pitched cartoon-like voice and speak with very poor grammar (Ah! You break you buy!) while Japanese are usually given a much rougher voice and try to fit about 20 words into every sentence (You have very much dishonored me with what you have done to me!!).
Currently Reading: One Piece, Hajime no Ippo, Detective Conan, Toriko, Beelzebub, Bakuman., Nurarihyon no Mago, Kyoukai no Rinne, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, GTO: Shonan 14 Days, Naruto, Bleach, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Rurouni Kenshin, Shamo, Real, BØY, and (whenever I can) KochiKame
Posted Image
Gouri Daisuke, 1952~2010
"Washi ga Otokojuku jukuchou... Edajima Heihachi de aru!!!!!"

#38 Kawaii Kenni

Kawaii Kenni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:10 PM

True, true. Furthermore, if we wanted to give Ramenman the stereotypical voice but still give him a deep one, we'd have to give him the mystical teacher voice. "You still need training, young one."

#39 bobsinbobsled

bobsinbobsled

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:58 AM

Okay, this project really seems to be starting to pick up. While I try to find a translator, and before I try to find voice actors, I'm going to try to build a staff. So far, we've got a mixer, a director, a co-director, and a writer.

Open positions that I would like to fill:
Localization Director (Should be a long-time hardcore fan)
Editor (Video guy, releases finished project, hardsubs the subtitles, adds in titles, etc.)
Quality Checkers (Easiest job, you just have to watch the episodes before they're released).

That's all I'd like to fill right now, then we'll start some casting.

But also, I'd like to ask an opinion. Should Suguru's voice be deep-ish like the original, or should it be high and whiny like Mantaro? It's just me, but I imagined him sounding like Marc Thompson when I read the series initially.

And Gyuudon/Beef Bowl/Cow-And-Rice? I'm leaning more towards Beef Bowl myself.

#40 Kawaii Kenni

Kawaii Kenni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:17 AM

Well, "Beef Bowl" is more or less the literal translation, and it's explanatory enough to know what it is.

And while it may not be what you're looking for, I wouldn't mind possibly having a role in looking over scripts, and suggesting possible edits, so the speech fits the character. Like little nuances such as Suguru and his quite easy-going way of speech, or things like that. Without wanting to boast, I've been told that I'm good at analysing characters in Theatre classes, so I can get to grips with that. Also, as said before, I wouldn't mind having my lyrics used, as long as due credit is given to it.

And in regards to Suguru's voice? I think basically someone who can do from a gravelly higher voice (like Suguru's silly voice) to serious "I'm taking no crap" would be ideal. Though, of course, more important is someone who can actually just go from silly to serious.

#41 bobsinbobsled

bobsinbobsled

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

Well, "Beef Bowl" is more or less the literal translation, and it's explanatory enough to know what it is.

And while it may not be what you're looking for, I wouldn't mind possibly having a role in looking over scripts, and suggesting possible edits, so the speech fits the character. Like little nuances such as Suguru and his quite easy-going way of speech, or things like that. Without wanting to boast, I've been told that I'm good at analysing characters in Theatre classes, so I can get to grips with that. Also, as said before, I wouldn't mind having my lyrics used, as long as due credit is given to it.

And in regards to Suguru's voice? I think basically someone who can do from a gravelly higher voice (like Suguru's silly voice) to serious "I'm taking no crap" would be ideal. Though, of course, more important is someone who can actually just go from silly to serious.

What do you think of a Sonny Strait (Krillin in DBZ, and Usopp in FUNi One Piece) type voice for him?

Yeah, and no problem looking over the scripts. I'll put you in that.

Do you think if I posted something on Youtube I'd get enough auditions, or should I go with a more scouting-like approach?

#42 Kawaii Kenni

Kawaii Kenni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:49 AM

Hmm... Auditions would allow you to find underrated good talent.

And I'm biased against Sonny Strait's voice, because it's fairly monotonous in my opinion. He was good as Hughes, but I can't stand him as anyone else. So I'm not the best to ask in that respect.

#43 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:22 AM

Kinnikuman's japanese voice fits the character SO well. If someone could basically sound like the Japanese voice speaking english, that'd be ideal.

And the Ultimate Muscle version of Meat, please? It's less creepy with his interractions with Marie.

Edited by theorgg, 24 June 2009 - 08:32 AM.

#44 Kawaii Kenni

Kawaii Kenni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:08 AM

Not to mention his singing voice is miles different from either voice for Suguru too. Woot for Akira Kamiya. Plus he plays Kogorou Mori, my favourite character from Detective Conan. That only warms me further to Kamiya. But, yes, Orgg-san is right. Anyone who can get that sort of level, like Akira Kamiya did, would be perfect.

#45 bobsinbobsled

bobsinbobsled

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

Kinnikuman's japanese voice fits the character SO well. If someone could basically sound like the Japanese voice speaking english, that'd be ideal.

And the Ultimate Muscle version of Meat, please? It's less creepy with his interractions with Marie.

Well, talking it over with TGPK about Meat, so far, the idea is sounding mixed here...

[11:13:01 AM] Walker Prescott {Hisashi-kun}: Oh, something's coming up... being a co-director, I want to ask... Orgg wants Meat's voice to be the Ultimate Muscle version. Comments?
[11:13:25 AM] ThegreatPirateKing: Who is orgg?
[11:13:43 AM] Walker Prescott {Hisashi-kun}: TheOrgg, one of the members of LRG forums.
[11:14:18 AM] ThegreatPirateKing: well I dunno
[11:14:21 AM] ThegreatPirateKing: Its random
[11:14:34 AM] ThegreatPirateKing: I don't mind because the reference made sense
[11:14:48 AM] Walker Prescott {Hisashi-kun}: Yeah, it made more sense in Nisei, because he WAS 40-ish.
[11:14:57 AM] ThegreatPirateKing: actually
[11:15:04 AM] ThegreatPirateKing: since he was frozen
[11:15:07 AM] ThegreatPirateKing: he was like 10
[11:15:10 AM] ThegreatPirateKing: o-o
[11:15:13 AM] Walker Prescott {Hisashi-kun}: I know, but he was technically 40.
[11:15:19 AM] ThegreatPirateKing: OOOOOOOOO
[11:15:22 AM] Walker Prescott {Hisashi-kun}: Like, he went through puberty while he was sleeping.

Okay, I lied, he kinda wants it, and I kinda don't. But we'll see how it goes in auditions. If I find a 4kids-like voice that I like, I'll roll with it, and if I find an original-like voice that I like, I'll go with that too.

So Youtube auditions it is? I wasn't worried about what talent we'd get, I was more worried about getting talent at all. Not many people would search "Kinnikuman Fandub" out of the blue on Youtube. We'd have to spread the word.

#46 bobsinbobsled

bobsinbobsled

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:46 AM

Sorry to double-post.

Okay, I've reviewed the ideas... I'm kinda eeh about the voice stuff that's come up... in my opinion if Meat had his trucker voice, he'd sound kinda too much like Suguru if he had the deep voice... But that could be just me. I'm going to try and come up with some actual voice actors and see how they would match up, just to see. I mean, I can kinda see the deep voice, but not necessarily gruff for Suguru. But also, after watching the episode again and imagining the UM Meat voice, I can totally see that happening if we can distinguish it.

And I came up with a prototype logo... see what you think, and tell me. Complete Overhaul? Good, but needs work? Make outlines thicker? I take all kinds of criticism.

http://img229.images.../kinnikuman.jpg

#47 bobsinbobsled

bobsinbobsled

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:15 AM

Okay, triple-post.
If no one's interested in this, obviously this project is down the drain. I only signed up to find a staff for it, I only was interested in writing and localization. So if no one's interested at all, the project has no choice but to be dropped or at least put on hiatus due to lack of outer interest.
Thank you for your time.

#48 Matto

Matto

D:<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

No one is not interested. We're not a high traffic forum, replies take some time to put up.
Mantaro gasped as Kid pulled him closer, reaching for his mask.

#49 bobsinbobsled

bobsinbobsled

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

No one is not interested. We're not a high traffic forum, replies take some time to put up.

As has been proved in your statement. Like, uber-justice.

Okay, so update on progress-- I'm working on a new logo that's closer to the original-- working on the shines/highlights now with my dad's lighting book. ;P

GonbeFAN has signed on as an editor, and he will be put to the test soon when the logo is done, to add it to the opening.

I have written a very very early prototype for the opening. I will be working out some kinks before I post it on here, still trying to rewrite to keep some of Kenni's word choice.

Oh, and talked to Sketch about it, he said he'd be up to auditioning for Suguru... I kinda think he'd be the best choice. Check out youtube.com/thesketchor to see some of his work.

This project may actually come along well.

#50 Kawaii Kenni

Kawaii Kenni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

I for one really hope it does. ^^ It sounds fun, and I feel quite honoured to be a part of it, in what ways I am, be it song translator or occasional helper. Thank-you for asking me to help.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com