FunkyFlump

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Zomlings

banner.jpg

(Sorry in advance for camera quality, my DSLR battery ran dry)

Zomlings are a fairly new toy released by Magic Box Inc. They're small rubber figures, very, very similar to Trash Packs if you remember those. After nipping, again, to Toys R Us my Brother, always on the forefront of new toys managed to hunt them down. Near the tills of the store (and I'm sure you're aware of the wonders of the tills in toy stores) I was almost surprised, with my more larger toy buying I completely forgot about it.

Anyway, priced at 50p for a blind bag containing one Zomling and 1 of 3 checklists, which was astounding given the usual price of toys these days. Visit the website for a full rundown of what different packs they have but here is a quick list. 

• Blind Bag (1 Zomling + Checklist) 50p
  • Tower Blind Bag (1 Zomling + Tower + Checklist) £1.00
  • House (2 Zomlings + House + Checklist) £2.50
  • Blister Tower (3 Zomlings + 1 Silver Zomling + 4 Towers + Game Rules) £?
  • Blister Mansion (6 Zomlings + 1 Gold Zomling + 4 Towers + 1 Mansion + Game Rules) £?

Packet.jpg

(Zomlings Blind Bag)

So as I mentioned they're very, very small, about the size of a penny.

sizew.jpg

(Limited Edition Zomling Next To A Penny)

This isn't a bad thing really, they're a nice size and made of a super soft plastic, almost identical to Squinkies and Trash Pack, it's personally my favorite type of plastic. However the sculpt quality isn't exactly great, there are quite a few air bubbles and little marks and sections where the paint has crossed onto where it shouldn't have. However they're very small so it isn't really an issue in my opinion.

There are currently around 45 sculpts and 105 total figures, each figure aside from the Ultra Rare and Limited edition have a single re-colour, there are 7 different sets, sorted into faux housing/street names (See leaflet for details.) 1-2 sculpts also have neon re-colours, the equivalent of an uncommon/rare, as aside from Ultra Rare and Limited Edition there are no rarities mentioned. I don't have pictures sadly but they also feature lots of little plastic houses to go along with this theme, which are quite cute and make displaying them rather fun. 

%2312%20Zomas.jpg

(Standard Kenchop Zomlings Figure)

Displayed here you can see a normal figure(#? Kenchop), the paint is vibrant and fairly detailed, you can see the black-eye colouring which would be barely the width of a penny. There is also a fair bit of detail in the sculpt, featuring some rather thin sections which are nice and flexy.

%23104%20Lenard.jpg

(Limited Edition #104 Gold Lenard, Pulled From A Blind Bag)

This however is the #104 Lenard, a Limited Edition which are advertised on the front of the Blister Packs which we actually pulled from a blind bag so if you're planning on getting some don't feel you have to go for the blisters straight away, if you're looking for the just the figure the blind bags are the way to go it seems. The paint is a nice shiny gold and is easily distinguishable from the others.

Overall these little figs are really cute, colourful and cheap, the perfect little toy to grab and collect in passing in my opinion, I personally put my Mutant Pollutant Collection on hold until I grab myself a few of these guys! Click on the links below for some images of some other figures and the checklists.

Checklist 1/3 Front Hi-Res

Checklist 1/3 Back Hi-Res

Checklist 3/3 Front Hi-Res

#12 Zomas

#22 Dolfred

Full Checklist PDF

(Heres what I got today :D)

DSCF2585.jpg

Edited by FunkyFlump, 08 March 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#2 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

Those are pretty neat!

#3 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

Jon, I always figured you for a Monster High kind of guy.

#4 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:59 AM

I wouldn't mind a few of the figures, but I really like the houses and towers more.

#5 Blore07

Blore07

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, P.E.T. Aliens, Trash Pack, Boglins

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

I thought I'd chime in a little here.

Due to popularity of Trash Pack here in the UK it's clear that they will be compared and so far I have found the Zomlings to have superior paint jobs but much less thought has gone into the design of the characters and the sculpts. 

I like some of the characters such as the zombie journalist or the walrus but I am a little tired of Zombies at the moment, even zombie zoo animals.

I've posted an image to show what I've got. You may notice in my photo a gold zomlings as well. I actually have him twice. I do question the rarity of these ultra rare gold zomlings.

Attached File  IMG_20140310_215200335.jpg   58.69K   24 downloads

I wont be buying any more than this right now, I just wanted a good amount to check them out thoroughly and make a small display of them but hopefully the line will do well and the sculpts and ideas will grow with it, it's not like TP series 1 was all that great!

cyn9.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zomlings, zomlings in the town, zomlings series 1, soft plastic, current

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com