MARVEL HANDFUL OF HEROES REVIEW!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

MARVEL HANDFUL OF HEROES!!!
KAPOW! IN EVERY PACK!!!

Attached File  StandardGroup.jpg   126.85K   42 downloads

Stats
Company: Hasbro
Year: 2009
Size: Approximately 1 1/4" to 2 1/4" Inches tall (give or take depending on sculpt and pose)
Price: $5.96 a Pack (Wal-Mart Stores)
Packaging: Small Blister Card (7 Figures visible, 1 figure in Secret box with Spy Slit)

Attached File  Glittergroup1.jpg   132.06K   26 downloads

Well, I waited patiently since the announcement of this new promising miniatures line, and my patience paid off! I found an adequate assortment of these guys at one of my local Wal-Marts, and purchased 16 packs! I don't mean to at all take away from Misterdroid's review, and hope this review stands on it's own. So lets get on with the show!!!

Sculpt: 5/5

Where the Crap do I start on this Rating?!!!!?? 40 sculpts I could rate or choose from, but you guys have ADD problems so I have to cut it short. Who should I choose? Hmm.... Well first I'll say this regardless, all 40 sculpts are top notch in their own way! Despite their size they have PLENTY of detail, and accurate detailing to boot! Great symmetry is found in just about all the sculpts as well! Details from head to toe! Impeccable sculpting talents are showcased here! I tried to take as many pics as I could, and as clear as I could, so I'll let the photos speak for themselves. I'll take more upon request if I can.

Attached File  Abomin1.jpg   128.16K   9 downloadsAttached File  Abomin2.jpg   128.81K   8 downloadsAttached File  Abomin3.jpg   139.04K   5 downloads
Attached File  Angel1.jpg   123.1K   8 downloadsAttached File  Angel2.jpg   169.64K   4 downloads Attached File  Angel3.jpg   147.22K   3 downloads
Attached File  Colossus1.jpg   150.07K   4 downloadsAttached File  Colossus2.jpg   92.42K   2 downloads Attached File  HulkBust2.jpg   104.8K   8 downloads
Attached File  Gladhulk.jpg   106.95K   7 downloadsAttached File  Gladhulk1.jpg   134.7K   4 downloads Attached File  Warhulk.jpg   113.51K   4 downloads
Attached File  Rhin1.jpg   106.98K   7 downloadsAttached File  Rhin2.jpg   99.45K   7 downloads
Attached File  Venom1.jpg   99.71K   13 downloadsAttached File  Venom2.jpg   114.28K   12 downloadsAttached File  Venom3.jpg   112.92K   5 downloads

Paint Applications: Color Variations: 3/5

Well, so they don't have Paint Applications. However each sculpt comes in 3 different colors variations....I guess. It's really hard to figure out. Of course you have the Solid Colors (Black, Light Green, Dark Green, Light Blue, Dark Blue, Light Red, Dark Red, Maroon, Lavender, and Yellow). But each color group of figures also come in Clear and Clear with Glitter. So far I'm only missing 2 Glittered colors from their respective color groups, so I can't compare those yet. But of the ones I have right now these are the things I've noticed.

Light Blue - The Clear figures here are almost identical, but the Blue on the glittered versions are a slightly darker hue. Very subtle, but I guess a different color.
Attached File  Furys.jpg   139.19K   25 downloads
Light Green- The differences are a little more obvious here, as the Glitter Green has a darker center to it.
Attached File  WarHulks.jpg   135.08K   22 downloads
Dark Green - The Dark color is hard to determine, but the Glitter versions here are still a tad darker than the Clear.
Attached File  Doom1.jpg   133.7K   19 downloads
Black - The Black is kind of strange. After all how much darker can you make a clear black figure? Well the Glitter Black here looks like a mixture of Clear and Solid. It has a Ghost like appearance. The Clear Black is more glossy, and the Glitter Black has more of a matte to it, but is still semi-Translucent.
Attached File  BlackPanther1.jpg   129.94K   25 downloadsAttached File  BlackPanther2.jpg   147.59K   14 downloads
Yellow - Yellow is one of the more obvious ones to me. The Clear Yellow is a brighter orange color, where as the Glitter is much darker. This is so far my favorite color! I think it is because it reminds me of the Orange Ghost I used to have that came with my Ghostbusters Ecto I back when I was a kid. :)
Attached File  Sabretooth.jpg   113.65K   24 downloads
Dark Red - This one is pretty hard to see for me. They really almost look like the same colored plastic, but the Glitter version is actually a itsy bitsy bit darker. I had to look pretty hard though.
Attached File  Deadpool1.jpg   140.78K   22 downloads
Maroon - Probably my second favorite color so far. The Clear and Glitter look like the same color to me, but I guess the Glitter could be a tad darker....this is just about the most difficult color to tell any difference......I still don't see it. :huh:
Attached File  HulkBuster1.jpg   152.86K   30 downloads
Lavender - This color is just weird. The first thing I thought of with the color and sculpts were Monster In My Pocket. I think they came in this color. It's my least favorite color so far, but it also has a very strange appeal to it....but anyway. The Clear colors here are a big jump from the Solid Lavender color. They both are more of a Dark Blue if anything. However again the Glitter color appears to be darker.
Attached File  Lavender1.jpg   133.68K   38 downloads

I don't have Glitter colors for either the Light Red or Dark Blue groups yet so I can't compare them. But sure, there appears to be 3 colors for each sculpt, but some are very subtle. I think they could have tried harder personally. But at least I don't have to worry about breaking the Marvel Handful of Heroes Color Code. :lol: It's pretty much laid out for me on the Poster.

Attached File  Light_Red1.jpg   138.62K   21 downloadsAttached File  DarkBlue1.jpg   148.64K   16 downloads

Articulation: N/A Nothing to see here, But more PICTURES!!! :woot:

Attached File  Abominations.jpg   134.57K   10 downloads
Attached File  Beast.jpg   119.23K   4 downloadsAttached File  Beasts.jpg   135.76K   4 downloadsAttached File  Cap.jpg   104.83K   6 downloads
Attached File  Colors.jpg   146.51K   13 downloadsAttached File  Cyclopsclear.jpg   112.25K   6 downloads

Accessories????: 3/5

Well, there are no accessories really, but every pack comes with a 10 x 15 inch Play Mat/Checklist Poster. Though the purpose of the Play Mat is not fully explained, there is a small picture on the mat that pretty much explains it. One side of the Mat has 6 circles with symbols representing the most popular Marvel Hero Franchises side by side surrounded by art of said heroes. A large Yellow arrow points toward the opposite side of the Mat where a Bowling Pin formation of 6 other symboled circles are surrounded by popular villains. Essentially the point of this little game is flick your heroes from their circles toward your buddies heroes in order to knock them over. Well, I guess If I were a kid, I'd find some way to enjoy this, but as it stands that I am a collector first, the Poster side of the Mat is of much more interest.
All 40 sculpts are clearly represented on this side of the Mat with the names of each character below them, with an illustrated image of the characters present beside each figure. So if you happen to buy a bunch of packs, you can essentially have tons of expendable Posters or Play Mats at your fingertips! Which I've found to be kind of nice so far. Well the poster gets these guys a point for each side in the accessories department, cause it is actually useful. And the fact that you get 8 figures per pack nets these guys another point in my book.

Attached File  Red_Hulks1.jpg   145.29K   17 downloadsAttached File  Juggernaut1.jpg   144.68K   15 downloads
Attached File  Goblin1.jpg   154.22K   14 downloads

Quality: 4/5

It was really hard to decide how I should go with this rating. After all I usually grade Action Figures where the articulation quality is of key importance to my rating method. Also since paint Applications aren't present I can't really grade that either! So what can I grade?
Plastic Quality! These figures are nice and solid! I really can't describe the plastic easily. I personally can't think of any other mini figures that would be similar to the Plastic used. After All, most of the miniatures from the 80's were made of a softer plastic, brittle plastic, or dense vinyl, etc. There was plenty of give in most of those older lines. However these guys are hard...but not as hard as lets say... Plastic Army men or Dinosaurs. It feels like something new to me. The smaller parts extending off some figures such as Wolverine's claws, Doc. Oct's Tentacles, or Dooms Hammer have some minor give, and I havn't noticed any appearance of stress marks just from lightly bending these pieces. So the plastic Hasbro used is top Notch. However I know just as well as you do, that after many years, and plenty of chewing and playing, we will see lots of these guys with missing pieces just like MUSCLES commonly have today. But really, I think that's the fun of these things. I hope they are a hit, cause I like the thought of kids today having the same kind of fun with their figures as we had back in the day.
Also of important note is the flashing. We know that with use and age figure molds start to wear down and extreme flashing around the sculpts can occur. The line isn't that old yet, but Right off the bat something I found commendable was the extreme lack of flashing! Just look at the pictures! These guys are Clean as a whistle! This adds to the sculpting and is an exemplary quality for such small figures. I did get an Absorbing Man with part of the Runner (overflow point) still attached.
Attached File  ABManDefect.jpg   134.67K   17 downloads
I guess another good point to bring up would be balance. These guys are small, and some sculpts are rather large, or have tiny feet. So it's obvious that Hasbro took great care in finding ways to balance the sculpts before production to ensure that 99.9% of manufactured products would be able to stand on their own! And they sure do! Out of 16 packs and 128 figures so far, only 2 won't stand, and both were NightCrawler Sculpts. And I personally believe this was the way they were placed in the packaging, where the feet slightly bent out of shape. So I'm not sure what kind of production process the Factories use to ensure a lack of warping to the figures after molding, but it works. We all know that many a MUSCLE just wouldn't stand either due to flash points or bent legs and feet. These guys really don't have these problems as of yet.
Attached File  NC.jpg   104.76K   15 downloads
Lastly, I would like to note something about the Clear and Glitter figures. I havn't pinpointed it yet. But on occasion I have noticed Clear figures, with small pieces of Glitter in their bodies. I can only imagine that this is due to a lack of injector purging. :unsure: Either that or these Clear figures are actually Glitter versions where the glitter mixture was not very well controlled. So I guess there are some slight variations available in these colors due to quality control, and this appears to be pretty common. The most confusing so far is an extra Nick Fury from the Light Blue Group. Since the color difference is so subtle I can't really tell the difference between this particular figure and a Clear one, as this Fury only has a few Glitter pieces throughout the body. I have another Glitter Fury that has an adequate amount of glitter. So some confusion could be found in these more subtle clear colors if the Glitter ratio is off. But at the moment I'm gonna assume that Injector Purging is the problem, cause we all know how sticky glitter can be.
Attached File  Nick.jpg   117.03K   14 downloads

Cost: 5/5

I was a bit reserved on how I should rate this section....It's possible that I won't feel the 5 point score is accurate after some time. But first impression, $6 bucks a pack is a great value for 8 Highly detailed sculpts! I think I'm comparing them to modern prices of MUSCLES or other common Little Rubber Guys from years past. As it is, a MUSCLE is worth $.50 cents to a Dollar each. So if you can find these guys between $5 and $6 bucks a pack your getting them for about $.75 cents each! I also thought of lines like Fistful of Power, where, if I remember correctly, only had 5 figures per pack for around the same price. And these packs were short-packed with Rare or Uncommon figures that were not visible....and some figures were completely absent. So Handful of Heroes really takes the cake as far as value, and bang for your buck! I seem to also notice so far that no 1 pack I've seen had 2 of the same sculpt. My rating for the cost of this line may decrease over time as these figures become more and more common. At the moment, I don't see them retaining their after market value immediately, but I could very well be wrong.

Attached File  DarkRed.jpg   130K   13 downloads
Attached File  LightGreen.jpg   129.59K   9 downloads
Attached File  Maroon2.jpg   153.62K   15 downloads

Availability: 2/5

Right now, very few of us have been able to find these things available at Retail Brick and Mortar stores. I don't know why, but the distribution has been really hit and miss. There are folks in California who have these in stock in some stores, but other stores in the same areas won't have them. Also over here on the East Coast the same problem has occurred. I searched a good 5 other Wal-Mart stores, a few Targets, and Toys'R'Us, and only one Wal-mart store had these out. I even was able to check a few stock sheets, and saw no pegs devoted to Handful of Heroes or the sometimes labeled "Marvel Punkz". So who knows what's up. Hopefully this will change soon. As for online retailers, they seem to be a dime a dozen, but HIGHLY overpriced. My advice unless money is of no importance to you, is to wait till they are locally available, or pick up your favorite sculpts from other members who have extras.

Cool Factor: 5/5

With a pretty good starting selection of Heroes and Villains already available in this first wave, who knows what we may get in the next wave! So far we have 40 unique sculpts and 30 different characters. And some of the most famous and popular characters are represented in this first wave. As the package indicates, you literally get KAPOW! In every pack. ;) And with guys like Beast, Thing, Doom, Venom, Hulk, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, and the Juggernaut rounding out your team, you can't go wrong at all! ...Did I mention War Machine and magneto? :unsure:

Attached File  DeadP.jpg   106.62K   6 downloadsAttached File  Doom.jpg   123.4K   8 downloadsAttached File  Hulk.jpg   111.45K   10 downloads
Attached File  HulkBust.jpg   169.62K   6 downloadsAttached File  Jugger.jpg   113.85K   8 downloadsAttached File  RedHulk.jpg   111.3K   4 downloads
Attached File  rine1.jpg   108.96K   7 downloadsAttached File  Warmach.jpg   118.82K   14 downloadsAttached File  IMn.jpg   94.32K   7 downloads

Average Score: 3.85/5

A pretty honest score for a pretty awesome group of new Little Rubber Guys! Even if you only want one of each sculpt, all three colors of specific sculpts, or the whole set, you can't go wrong with picking up a few of these figure packs. Heck even if you don't like em after that, just give to your kids! (Ages 4+) ;) I'm sure they will enjoy them. This line has great potential and collect-ability as well! Hasbro has the opportunity to do something we only hoped for with MUSCLES back in the 80's! A Line with new sculpts released in each wave! Hasbro already stated that they have more in the works, and although a Wave 2 hasn't been officially announced, you can help it happen by supporting the line! So at least give a pack a shot when you find them, if they are affordable. Personally I love the little Secret box with the spy slit, you can try to figure out who's in there, and sometimes you still can't be sure...unless you bring a flashlight with you to the store. :rolleyes: But this line has Variety and durability to boot. I'm sure we will be finding these things in the bottom of cardboard boxes at fleamarkets, yardsales, and thrift stores for years to come. :yes:

Edited by Universal Ruler Supreme, 03 September 2009 - 05:30 PM.

Posted Image

#2 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:17 PM

if i'm the first to post a reply in here will you send me all of your figures? :p

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#3 Jinrail

Jinrail

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:50 AM

Based on the awesomeness of this line, and other LRG's, there should almost be a seperate rating system for them.
As far as little rubber guys are concerned, these are probably the best to come out in the past ten years. I'm eagerly anticipating a second wave. Here's hoping for Bullseye, Taskmaster, and the Winter Soldier...
The city is not a concrete jungle, it is a human zoo.

#4 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:37 AM

I agree on all counts. What's so great about this line is that Hasbro has the potential to release countless characters at once. I wouldn't at all doubt a Punisher or Bullseye. But a Taskmaster would be awesome.

Posted Image

#5 Jinrail

Jinrail

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:02 AM

I guess, I'm just a huge mark for ol' Tasky, but I've always dug his gimmick.

I wouldn't mind seeing more Wolverine, sans mask... Not to mention Daken. But, with the variations, they really can keep doing lots of figures of the same characters. Astonishing Cyclops would be a lot better than the Jim Lee version they wound up releasing.

It'd be real nice, if they took a page froom Heroclix, and released event specific waves, too.
Invasion, Dark Reign, Civil War... The possibilities are endless.
The city is not a concrete jungle, it is a human zoo.

#6 Er0k26

Er0k26

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:22 PM

I just got some at Big Kmart and Toys r Us. Have to say these are pretty cool, I just wish the "Super Secret" figure was different then the others. Maybe gold or sliver would be cool. :D Sorry pics are with my iPhone. :rolleyes:

Edited by Er0k26, 10 October 2009 - 05:23 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com