#1 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 14 November 2004 - 10:55 PM

Hey All,
Ever since my painted claw contest I have been wanting to get to work on painting more muscles. I knew after my first catastrophe tiger claw (which the idea kicked arse, just the paint job didn't hahaha) I realized I needed to spend some cash on the right materials. I went out to the local comic book store and bought myself some water based miniature figure paints (rather than the tester enamel model car paints) and a couple $10 teeny tiny brushes. After my claw contest, I was trying to think of what else to do, then it dawned on me. I love comics, I love claw, how about a combo. I decided to do a venom themed claw, and I think it turned out sweet. Check it:

http://www.geocities...e_j02/venomclaw

How cool is that? Feedback welcome, but be gentle. My next claw will be a spidey claw to battle with. I wanted to start with spidey, but figured Venom would be easier to begin with. Think of the possibilities. I am also working on a zebra man figure paint and will post pics when done. Anybody else been painting lately? I'd love to see some recent work.

#2 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:34 AM

Nice, Doc. I love the theme idea.

Spidey will be sweet.

:p
Posted Image

#3 pasvagrsvj

pasvagrsvj

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 04:55 AM

Great idea!!! Wish I'd thought of it.

#4 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:23 AM

Sweet!!!

That is cool!!!

Great job for your second attempt!

The only tip I have for you is to take a "Uniball" black fadeless/waterproof pen and touch up the the edges of the white detail...that should sharpen it up.

You could also do it with the edges of the green/pink drool/tongue.

I hope I don't sound too overly critical. It is really good.

TGB

#5 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:32 AM

Jason, that is just SICK!

Venom is my second favorite baddy (after GG).

#6 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:06 AM

I hope I don't sound too overly critical.

a-hole!!! I hate you, I am never painting again, EVER!!!!

:p Just kidding. I was hoping you guys could offer some pointers. I have no idea what type of pen you are talking about, but I had thought about using a marker or something to clean it up a little. But then it wouldn't be authentic painted would it? Thanks for the advice and the kind remarks everybody.

#7 pasvagrsvj

pasvagrsvj

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:10 PM

Just for the record, in Doc's defense, (and boy does he need it. :blush: )...the claw is one of the hardest figs I've painted in respect to details. When I was painting the GITD claw, it was impossible to get a straight line on those bumps!!! If it was straight when you look at it head on, they wouldn't appear straight when you looked at a slightly different angle.

Of course, he's also the only one where I've added detail that wasn't already present.

#8 Knuxman

Knuxman

Reject False Icons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:36 PM

Awesome! as a true beleiver of spidey and MUSCLE i salute you! some minute sploshing, but as said, the claw has to be a hard dude to paint, overall 9.9/10!

Edited by Knuxman, 15 November 2004 - 08:52 PM.

"So it goes."
~Vonnegut

#9 arforbes

arforbes

I lied, I cheated, I got banned!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:38 PM

Nice job, Doc. That is sweet! The venom idea is awesome. My friend is a big fan, he has a venom tatoo on his arm. :kid:

:notme:
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard
I was banned! Read ALL about it! http://www.littlerub...showtopic=23333

#1 on the LRG Dishonest Members list!

#10 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 11:21 PM

he has a venom tatoo on his arm.

:kid: I got one on my back.

#11 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:00 PM

he has a venom tatoo on his arm.

:lol: I got one on my back.

Now that's awesome! :p

B)
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#12 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:49 AM

I hope I don't sound too overly critical.

a-hole!!! I hate you, I am never painting again, EVER!!!!

:p Just kidding. I was hoping you guys could offer some pointers. I have no idea what type of pen you are talking about, but I had thought about using a marker or something to clean it up a little. But then it wouldn't be authentic painted would it? Thanks for the advice and the kind remarks everybody.

Artists always use little tricks of the trade to make their work sweeeet...

Uniball pens are available at your local hole in the wall crappy a$$ Walfart!!!

Now stop cryin' and go get that pen you turd...

TGB

#13 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:23 PM

:p Hey guys,
Finished myself up a few more claws tonight. I started doing 2-3 at once because I got bored waiting for sets to dry in between stages. Anyways, check them out. new claws include Spidey, Thing, and Green lantern. For some reason a few of the pics turned out really shizznitty. When I get around to updating my site again, i will fix that :( Once again, feedback encouraged and let me know what ya'll think. My schedule is super hectic right now, but I'd like to get started on a collosus claw and a flash claw, maybe superman. Anyways. Looke here:

http://www.geocities.../comiclaws.html

Cool huh? Let me know. I already used advice offered to improve on my work. I'd love more.

#14 Knuxman

Knuxman

Reject False Icons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:38 PM

Awesome work, Doc! I also like the theme, maybe, telling by your avatar, a skeletor one isn't far off, lol.

Edited by Knuxman, 01 December 2004 - 11:38 PM.

"So it goes."
~Vonnegut

#15 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 06:15 AM

WOW!!!

Jason, your painting skills are really improving!!! These are super cool!!!

I can't wait to see the entire FF and a ton of Marvel characters. Lay off the DC characters and stay focused on the Marvel ones.

What a great idea especially for a claw freak like you!!!

TGB

#16 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 06:54 AM

:o Great work, Doc! And great design theme, too. When can we see more DC superheroes? Of course, Superman and/or Batman would be nice to see, but they're a bit cliched. Maybe you could even do some of the more obscure characters, like Captain Atom. I think a silver claw would look nifty. And what about a Wonder Woman claw? That would be hilarious! You'd have to sculpt boobs, though. :huh:

#17 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:53 AM

:huh: Thanks guys! Your kind words inspire me to do more.

Marty, I like characters from most comic companies. Eventually I think i will do a Flash (just cause he'd be easy), Superman, and Batman. Bats and Superman would be tougher though. Nate wonder Woman would be hillarious. I will look into that too. I am trying not to change the sculpt much, but boobs would be funny as hell.

From Marvel, I'd like to do some X-men (collosus first), and other favorites, but many of them I am having a problem thinking of how to make them look like the actual character so I am using people with unique costumes (spidey) or unique bodies (thing). For example, if I tried to do one on multiple man (who is one of my favs), nobody would know who the hell he was. Havok would be cool and his classic costume might not hard.

I am a big Spawn collector but think a claw version of him would be near impossible. Maybe when my skills get a little better.

On my FF Thing claw, I am really disappointed in the photos, there are like seven different colors used on his rocky body, you can barely see it. I will try to update him and other parts of my site (GB customs) this weekend. I hadn't thought about doing all of the Fantastic Four, because other than Thing and Human torch, the others are kind of blah. If I do do that, it will have to wait until I get some more claws in. I am running low. Speaking of, anybody got some for sale? Any color, and condition as long as all limbs are present. I will pay handsomely.

Thanks again for the kind words guys. Painting these has been fun.

Edited by doc_moore_j, 02 December 2004 - 08:56 AM.

#18 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:16 AM

:huh: How did this topic slip under my radar?! Doc, those paint jobs kick arse! I love them. You should definately keep cranking them out. Havok (original costume) and Flash would look sweet.

#19 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:07 AM

Dude, those are awesome, Doc! I am totally impressed with the Spidey Claw. The others are fantastic too. Nice work man. You should definitely keep cranking them out!

:huh:
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#20 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:44 AM

Nice job Doc!

As a Green Arrow fan, I’d like to see him – but it would suck. Most people would think you did a Robin Hood claw.

I think you should maybe start thinking about other characters too. What about a Boba or Jango Fett? Jango would probably be easier, Boba’s costume has too many details. A Darth Maul inspired figure might be cool too. I thinking something like this.

Or maybe a “Comic Book Guy”-hand? His t-shirt could say something like, “Worst Distributed Line Ever,” or “Found in 9 Colors.”

#21 Knuxman

Knuxman

Reject False Icons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:33 PM

Nate wonder Woman would be hillarious. I will look into that too. I am trying not to change the sculpt much, but boobs would be funny as hell.

AGREED! maybe just cut all the bumps off but two? LOL
"So it goes."
~Vonnegut

#22 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:46 PM

DUDE! Those ROCK! Especially the Spidey one!!!!!!!

(okay, time for Alex mode)
:huh: :o :woot:

#23 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:56 PM

VERY nice job, Doc!

You might want to start surfing some of the Warhammer sites to pick up little tips on painting, but I can't see any glaring errors on your Hands.

As for requests, Plastic Man was always a favorite of mine...
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#24 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:56 PM

Invisible girl w/ a crystal clear custom of mine painted with a FF blue uniform!!!

Human Torch w/ a crystal clear red or orange custom of mine painted with a FF blue uniform!

Mr. Fantastic would be the only boring one.

I am not a big fan of DC comics or heroes. Well except for the new JLA, TT, and Batman.

TGB

#25 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:02 AM

Invisible girl w/ a crystal clear custom of mine painted with a FF blue uniform!!!

You bastitch! I was going to do that. I wanted to surprize everybody. Oh well. I still will. Great minds think alike I suppose. I am not going to paint two customs though, they are too unique and an important part of my collection. Human torch will have to be a normal muscle. I will do invisible woman this weekend along with trying to do another MAF for Johnny.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com