- - - - -

Rare M.U.S.C.L.E. Stuff

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2005 - 07:10 AM

I’ve taken my first stab at creating a website, it’s called Rare M.U.S.C.L.E Stuff.

http://rare-muscle-stuff.tripod.com

Hopefully everyone likes it. I know it isn’t too impressive in terms of the graphics and layout, and I know the pop-ups and ads suck, but I hope the content makes up for it.

Any constructive criticism would be very welcome.

#2 Zombie

Zombie

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:Brains

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:00 AM

I've never seen those Mattel catalog pics before, pretty cool. I notice some of the figures seem lighter in color than others. Is that just a result of the picture being taken or is actually how the photo in the catalog looks? The lighter color looks like some of my faded flesh Kinkeshis and it'd make sense with you saying that they are probably Kinnikuman figures. At the same time, it drives me mad thinking about the possibilities of other super rares being out there somewhere.

Is the second figure from the top the Kinkotsuman from part 15 that is getting atomic dropped by Kinnikuman? The sword figure also comes from part 15, which is where Dark Emperor and Drunken Master are from. Which one is the very top? It looks like Okamaras, but I am not quite sure.

#3 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:05 AM

I think the site is fantastic. I think it offers a lot of great info for novice collectors and veteran collectors. I have never seen the catalogs either, I think that is sweet. The story on the muscle hauler is great. The info provided about the rares and the emails you sent mattel etc... You got some pics of rare and cool stuff that I have never seen. I enjoyed the site and like the approach you are taking with it. Good job.

#4 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:20 AM

I notice some of the figures seem lighter in color than others. Is that just a result of the picture being taken or is actually how the photo in the catalog looks?

I think it’s a little bit of both. The figures aren’t perfectly uniform in their color, and my picture isn’t perfect.

Is the second figure from the top the Kinkotsuman from part 15 that is getting atomic dropped by Kinnikuman? The sword figure also comes from part 15, which is where Dark Emperor and Drunken Master are from. Which one is the very top? It looks like Okamaras, but I am not quite sure.

I have no idea. You’d think with all of the research I did have looked that up too, but I didn’t. Actually when I first got the catalog I looked it up, but I didn’t write it down. If we find out exactly who those figures are, and which line they come from, then I’d be happy to added it to the site.

And thanks for the nice words guys. B)

#5 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

Happily stuck in the past

• Legends
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Keshi, Minifigs, Baseball Cards, Travel, Disc Golf, Bigfoot, Pizza, Beer

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:37 AM

Very nice. Don't worry about the appearance. The content alone sets you apart from all of the other sites out there, and collectors new and old will appreciate that. It's easy to navigate and not too busy. The pop ups aren't an issue for me as I have a pop up blocker installed. All in all... an excellent page for your first time out! I can't wait to see how it evolves.
Cheers,

Edited by MUSCLETOYS, 17 March 2005 - 10:38 AM.

#6 Knuxman

Knuxman

Reject False Icons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:06 PM

Very nice, Veers. I have never seen some of that stuff. Keep up the good work!
"So it goes."
~Vonnegut

#7 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:32 PM

Quick question: What's the picture on the home page? It looks like some sort of wall display with pouches for each MUSCLE. How did you make that? It looks much better than using the Bionicle cases for display.

#8 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:42 PM

It’s a display piece I made when I started collecting, and didn’t live in an apartment. I took particle board (I think that’s the name? It’s like a Styrofoam-ish poster board) and attached these small plastic bags that I could write the numbers on. I got the bags from my father. I had interned with his company after my first two years of college and remembered those little bags because I thought they were perfect for collecting. Anyways, he brought me a bunch home and I constructed my posters.

It took three “sheets” to get all of the figures up, but it really helped me keep track of which figures I needed – plus it made it easier to see when I had a dirty version that needed to be replaced with a “mint-ier” version.

#9 arforbes

arforbes

I lied, I cheated, I got banned!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:26 PM

Veers,

I think your site is interesting and informative, not to mention kick arse! As most of you already know this about me already, my M.U.S.C.L.E. collecting revolves around the rare stuff now, and I look forward to reading through your site completely and carefully to see what you have done and all the cool things that I can learn from it.

Nice job! :lol:

:lol:
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard
I was banned! Read ALL about it! http://www.littlerub...showtopic=23333

#1 on the LRG Dishonest Members list!

#10 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:09 PM

Truly an instant classic.

The only downside is the terrible home: a freeserver.

Perhaps Nathan or Jonny would offer a small portion of their server space? The site isn't badwidth-hungry, and is an EXCELLENT addition to the MUSCLE community!

Suggestion One: On the "Nestle" portion, make thumbnails of the really large pictures that are the same size as the top picture (via photoshop or something similar... I assume you've got something that isn't MSPaint) and have them link to the large .jpgs. Some people have slower computers and cannot download the large JPG images with as much success as one would want.* Don't cut them, though, as that's some AMAZING! I never knew about the packaged MUSCLES still showing up on Ebay... a full collection of Packaged MUSCLES would be the holy grail of a MUSCLE collection. Alex, are you up for that? :lol:

Suggestion Two: Learn Left from Right.

Posted ImageCustom AKIA Super Rare 3-Pack

These figures (flesh color on the right, and glow-in-the-dark on the right

Suggestion Three: Try and find some WARTS figures in their package (or a picture thereof) for the "Everything Else" page. They'd fit in well.

Suggestion Four: Try to find the MUSCLE page out of one of the cake displays from the 86-89 period. I know I saw one in 1990. The cakes came with two figures and a plastic MUSCLE logo. I tried looking for a site that collects images of the old cake displays, but oddly enough... there arn't any. Isn't that amazing?

*I.E. I got half of a picture and three-fourths of another.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#11 Knuxman

Knuxman

Reject False Icons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:27 PM

Oh, by the way if you want some info on the GITD Super rare trilogy just ask, after all they are mine :lol:
"So it goes."
~Vonnegut

#12 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:22 AM

Thanks again for all the nice words.

theorgg, I agree that its current home isn’t ideal. But since this is my first website I’m learning as I go. Darrin and Johnny have both offered to help me get it set-up a little bit better. But don’t hold your breath, I don’t think it will be happening overnight.

I’m also sorry that you couldn’t download the pictures. I’m not entirely sure I understand what you wanted me to do. They don’t completely load when you go to the page? I’m not 100% sure how to do the thumbnails, but it’s something I will try to fix and will definitely fix on the next site.

I’ll look for WARTS, but were they MUSCLE bootlegs or MUSCLE-like figures? If they were the latter, then I don’t think I’ll spend too much time looking for them.

And thank you for the cake suggestion!!

#13 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:04 AM

Well I am flattered that the Super Rare Trilogy has a spot on your site and THANKS for the link to my site!

Now as far as left and right...unless you are an alien with 2 right arms... then one should be a left and one should be a right...he! he! he! :lol:

I too am having problems with ALL your photos not coming up...none of them.

My site is a Tripod site, however, I pay $8.95 per month. As far as the Thumbnails...when you are loading the photo, you can select the size...thumbnail, normal, wide, etc...

GREAT INFO on your site!!!

TGB

#14 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:13 AM

My site is a Tripod site, however, I pay $8.95 per month. As far as the Thumbnails...when you are loading the photo, you can select the size...thumbnail, normal, wide, etc...

shizznit.

And I saw the option to select thumbnails, but then do the pictures pop-up in another window? While I’m not in love with the current design, I think it would look even shizznittier with thumbnails.

#15 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:29 AM

I don't have any problems with your images coming up. It may be a connection speed issue. If you don't have a high-speed connection, the request for the page may time out, and not display all the images.

From a design standpoint, I wouldn't use thumbnails in this case. I like reading about the pictures and seeing them in full size on the screen. It's much better for comprehension. However, if you're really concerned with pictures not loading properly, you may want to opt for thumbnails.

As far as the Thumbnails...when you are loading the photo, you can select the size...thumbnail, normal, wide, etc...

I also wouldn't use thumbnails in this manner (no offense, Marty). If you resize the image in HTML, you're still using the same image, it just appears to be smaller. So, the load time will be the same because the images are the same file size.

When you make thumbnails, you should make a copy of the image, and then shrink it in Photoshop/MS Paint/whatever so that you're saving a smaller image. Since the thumbnails are smaller, they'll have a smaller file size, and the load time will be decreased.

#16 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:16 AM

hey, that was great. Really insightful. i especially liked the mattel catalogue picture of the four pack display, that would be a very cool muscle item to own. i have to admit i was a bit confused after seeing those non poster figures. im not sure if they would be kinkeshi. if as zombie says they are from the same part as drunken master and dark emperor then there is every chance that they could be muscles, but then we wont know till they turn up on ebay. in the meantime congrats on the site, lets hope there will be plenty of more revelations in the future for you to update your site with.
"FRUIT OOZE IS WETLY LEWD SO
STAY DRY IN RUBBER BOOTS AND.."

#17 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:07 PM

Is the second figure from the top the Kinkotsuman from part 15 that is getting atomic dropped by Kinnikuman?  The sword figure also comes from part 15, which is where Dark Emperor and Drunken Master are from.  Which one is the very top?  It looks like Okamaras, but I am not quite sure.

Good eye Zombie. The top one is definitely Okamaras from part 8
http://ulala69.hp.in...co.jp/part8.htm

The bottom figure is black fire from part 9
http://ulala69.hp.in...co.jp/part9.htm

and the Kinkotsuman and what appears to be mayumi are from part 15 which as you stated is the same set as dark emperor and Drunken Master.
http://ulala69.hp.in...o.jp/part15.htm

This picture definitely opens up the possibility of more super rares. The catalog pics I believe are the highlight of the site. I would just love to get my hands on one of those M.U.S.C.L.E. Pre-Packs.

Posted Image

#18 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:00 PM

I really like this site - it adds something that's MUCH-needed to our community. And the catalogue photos definitely supports the "test shot" theory.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#19 SpectreSuperSix5

SpectreSuperSix5

I am not a number. I'm a free man

• Old Guard
  • 2598 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, M.U.S.C.L.E., Xbox 360, firearms, grilling, muscle cars, zombies, and Cartoon Network.

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:38 AM

And thanks to every other M.U.S.C.L.E-head that I have bought from, traded with, sold to, talked with, or yelled at (which have been quite a few).

e+
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

#20 gilgar

gilgar

Supertzar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Interests:Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, NWOBHM, Punk, Hardcore, Thrash -->CDs, Albums, Videos, DVDs, MP3's, etc.

Toys, Toys, Toys especially vintage & old cars! HW (esp. redlines), Dealer Promos, SSPs, et. al., kinnikuman, SD kinkeshi, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, & anything else that catches my eye

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:32 PM

Finally got a chance to view/read it all. Very informative. I like the way it consolidates lots of info from the forums regarding origins, etc plus the new stuff like the catalog pix. :woot:
Posted Image
the slime of all my yesterdays
rots in the hollow of my skull

they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm themPosted Image

#21 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 26 March 2005 - 04:32 PM

Nice work Veers, I found the site very cool and informative! ;) :p
Formally known as Artimus Prime

#22 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:19 PM

Man, another super rare. The things one can miss when away... :kid:

Awesome site Veers, free or not it's an excellent resource. It only took one minute of browsing for me to learn something new! :huh:

#23 theCrazyest

theCrazyest

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:15 AM

Hey:

Cool website. I was quite fasinated with all of the Mattel catalogue pics. I wish that we had a simular type of thing in which we could just order Romandohs in a simular fashion. B) Sadly I would be that guy living on the street surrounded by Romandoh figures on 20/20. :D

- theCrazyEst

..must have new KiNNiKuMaN Muscle Shot update for Andriod..
KiNNiKuLove 4 Life!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com