36 replies to this topic

#26 Orca

Orca

The Idea Man & Custom Vehicle Inventor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 07:44 PM

:lol: Well i'll admit after hearing how things are done at Tomarts i owe you an appology for trying your best for what you were/ are able to work with (i never saw the BB guide one though). I was under the assumption that things were done differently. I guess there is a whole lot of chopped off testicles rolling around in this passionate toy collecting community (figuratively speaking..... Marty stay......hehehe J/K dude). Now i have a better understanding how the collectible showcase portions of the mag work. So Thanks for speaking out and clearing things up.

....so i say Fark those magazines and lets do this ourselves if the mags aren't going to give a multi-page full-spead layout to the toyline. I know that the line just isn't mainstream enough to warrent a whole lot of attention we feel it deserves.

I was wondering what it would take for E-bay to create a catagory for Battlebeasts, some of the other toylines that have their own catagory have very few listings too......

#27 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:43 PM

Hey Ben, this is partly for you, partly just general topic stuff.

For one, anybody putting forth the effort to get stuff printed in mags about the Beast lines is already doing more than I am. So it's cool to see somebody not only talking, but actually doing something. That said, you've kinda proved my point, we won't get what we want going through the toy mag channels.

Your post pretty much sums up what I have heard from others who have submitted articles, they offer up alot of pics, text and such, and have their work edited down to nothing more than a basic overview. And even when a mag does go gonzo and give multiple pages to an article, it doesn't guaranty success. Case in point, Toyfare did an article on toys that became Transformers. I suppose they thought that because these were originally Japanese toys, why not get a Japanese toy expert. They did, they got Matt Alt. For those that don't know, he's a mainstay at Toybox DX, a FANTASTIC robot site. However, he would not be my first choice for a pre-TF's write-up, and the article kidna shows it. It's bland and boring, offering up nothing really interesting.

So, the question is, how much time and money is someone willing to put into a project like creating an unoffcial guide that would be entertaining to hardcore fans, newbies and those who just pass by a bookshelf at Borders/comic shops?
--Dave

#28 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:19 PM

SORRY DUDE! I DIDN'T MEAN TO STEP ON YOUR NUTS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. and i commend you on your efforts to make battle beasts known to the world of collectors. now i need to find that issue of lee's and see exactlywhat you did, and put it on my wall.

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#29 Darth Monkey

Darth Monkey

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:39 AM

Hey, it's okay. I appreciate the responses. I buy all three of the publications (Toyfare, Lee's, Tomart's) on a monthly basis, so I'm pretty familiar with how they work. I just wanted to let you guys know how hard it was just to get that two page article in Lee's a year and a half ago. I'm excited about the prospect of a fanzine, but I'll leave that to the people who are already in the stages of planning it. Imagine all the people who collect more obscure toylines that get even LESS coverage, like Lords of Light, or something that's far less collectible, like Super Naturals. I think the internet is the best resource for obscure toylines, so it's up to us to make the best sites available for people who want to know about the toys. I'd say for Battle Beasts, this is the go-to place!

#30 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:50 AM

I think that if we do make the effort to do a fanzine, that we need to focus exclusively on the lines that don't get much, if any coverage. No sense in doing what is already being done well. Witha niche fanzine, it would popular enough to get a good sized following.

#31 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:42 PM

I think that if we do make the effort to do a fanzine, that we need to focus exclusively on the lines that don't get much, if any coverage. No sense in doing what is already being done well. Witha niche fanzine, it would popular enough to get a good sized following.

That's why a BB fanzine would be neat. And really, as cool and useful as websites are, there's NOTHING like having a guide on hand, place on your shelf, read on the go.
--Dave

#32 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:18 PM

That's why a BB fanzine would be neat. And really, as cool and useful as websites are, there's NOTHING like having a guide on hand, place on your shelf, read on the go.

That is EXACTLY the words I have spoken to Artimus and Jkaris on the phone in the last few days!

Jkaris sounds like he IS gonna take a poke at this...he has the accessability to the proper equipment. He can use all the photos I took that are in the guide. He will need contributing writers, Dave, you know a TON...will you contribute? I sure hope so!!!

We spoke about a 10 page, bi-monthly (every other month) guide that will build an ultimate guide...then when BB/LB's are finished...on to Muscles, Fistful, etc...

Basically..."LittleRubberGuys"

TGB

#33 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:31 PM

Hey, great idea. A little rubby guys magazine/fanzine. I have been really loving those Fistful guys, and since picking some of them up, I have been digging through the old toy boxes for my old Muscle figures. I found about 30 of them so far.

Also, I might reccomend an article on Trash Bag Bunch. I know they didn't sell all that well at all, but for me, I loved them. They were really goofy, and really gimicky, but they had some pretty decent figures in the set.

Eric

#34 Orca

Orca

The Idea Man & Custom Vehicle Inventor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:44 PM

This fanzine idea sounds great......LMK what i can do to help~!!!! ;)

#35 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:33 PM

Hey, great idea. A little rubby guys magazine/fanzine. I have been really loving those Fistful guys, and since picking some of them up, I have been digging through the old toy boxes for my old Muscle figures. I found about 30 of them so far.

Also, I might reccomend an article on Trash Bag Bunch. I know they didn't sell all that well at all, but for me, I loved them. They were really goofy, and really gimicky, but they had some pretty decent figures in the set.

Eric

It's funny you should mention "TBB" (Trash Bag Bunch), I sold 3-4 MOC GITD & COLOR CHANGE bootleg/knock-off ones and TONS of European paint variants to a member of the AKIA...He could do some KILLER photos of the set!!! As far as info, I have the ORIGINAL Galoob TOY FAIR catalog that tells and shows about them (and also shows prototype paint variants)!!!

TGB

Edited by THEGODBEAST, 21 March 2005 - 08:34 PM.

#36 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:41 PM

Would you be able to scan some pages of it for me? I would love to see them. I tried to get them all when I was a little kid, but only managed to get about half of them.

That member of AKIA should get on it about getting some pictures of the TBB knock offs.

Eric

#37 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:17 PM

This fanzine idea sounds great......LMK what i can do to help~!!!! ;)

I'm with Orca, if a fanzine is going to seriously be pursued, I'd like to help however possible. I've already mentioned to TGB that I'd like to write a preface about the line to kick the magazine off, with which I'd include what little known facts are solid and any additional info I could muster up... LMK guys if I can help in any way shape or form.
Formally known as Artimus Prime

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com