Any casual magic players on the board.

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

Thought I would start a topic to see how many toy collecting magic payers we have on the board. If you do what decks are your running? Here are my two.

Blue Total Control Deck

X4 Remand
X4 Counterspell
X3 Etherium Sculpter
X4 Black Vise
X3 Winter Orb
X2 Meekstone
X3 Howling Mines
X4 Sage of Epityr
X4 Mana Short
X3 Icy Manipulator
X2 Propaganda

Land
X2 Reliquary Tower
X4 Coral Atoll
X18 Islands

Burn Discard Lightning Rat Deck

X4 Ravenous Rats
X4 Sanity Gnawers
X4 Lightning Bolt
X4 Ball Lightning
X4 Hymn to Tourach
X4 Blightning
X4 Shock
X2 Hellhole Rats
X2 Smoldering Tar
X4 Chain Lightning

Land
X2 Rix Maadi, Dungeon Palace
X2 Swarmyard
X10 Mountains
X10 Swamps

Would like to see if their are other members that injoy the game as well.

WhiteLeo

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#2 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:40 AM

I used to play pretty heavily the first few years the game was out, then dropped out sometime after 5th edition, selling all my cards (i miss you Moxes!!).

Then i got back into it like...two summers ago? Whenever 10th edition was new, Time Spiral and the surrounding expansions. I dumped at least $500 getting back into it and then promptly quit again after about two months. Mostly because the only person i have to play inside of a hundred miles or so is my wife. :search: There are tournaments at the local comic shops, which was my intent when i started buying them again, but i tried that out and hated it quite a bit. Not as much fun as it used to be.

I do still like the game though, and probably won't sell all my cards this time around. :D
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#3 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:40 AM

I used to play pretty heavily the first few years the game was out, then dropped out sometime after 5th edition, selling all my cards (i miss you Moxes!!).

Then i got back into it like...two summers ago? Whenever 10th edition was new, Time Spiral and the surrounding expansions. I dumped at least $500 getting back into it and then promptly quit again after about two months. Mostly because the only person i have to play inside of a hundred miles or so is my wife. :search: There are tournaments at the local comic shops, which was my intent when i started buying them again, but i tried that out and hated it quite a bit. Not as much fun as it used to be.

I do still like the game though, and probably won't sell all my cards this time around. :D

I quite for along time myself. Now I play locally at a place in the Valley. Uncles Games is the name of the place. I go their when they have their casual play night. That is the best time. It is not competitive like the tournaments are. I hate doing the tournaments.

Too bad you don't live closer we could get together and play. :D

WhiteLeo

I will never quit.

#4 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:42 AM

I played a bit in the mid to late nintes then quit. Started dating a girl a few years back who had some cards so I got one of my old decks back out and got stomped the game got much more sophisticated since I had been in Jr. High, also have the problem I have so few people who would be intrested in playing.

#5 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

If the problem is a lack of players, try out Magic Online.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#6 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:03 PM

If the problem is a lack of players, try out Magic Online.

Is that where you pay real card prices for packs of virtual cards? Or have they switched to a less ridiculous system now?
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#7 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

i wish i still had my cards... i sold everything i had in '99 which was close to 2000 cards. i got a pretty penny, but i still miss them. I collected more than played.

#8 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:37 AM

I was actively playing and collecting up to Shadowmoor, and stopped just after last summer because I came back home and was no longer in walking distance from a store to play or my campus's regular Magic games. The closest store with Magic tournaments is on the other side of the county and not the least bit convenient to visit.

The last deck I was working on was based on Shadowmoor's ridiculously powerful and cool hybrid red and green cards. I more or less finished that one although I'm sure there's room for Alara block stuff; I just never bought any of their stuff.

I have some other entertaining decks as well - 100% Mirrodin artifacts including lands, four-color Slivers, Lorwyn Elves, Dredge, and maybe a couple more I can't remember. Good times!

I even tried Magic Online, but buying cards again online got tedious ridiculously fast and I stopped touching it over a year ago.

#9 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

The pricing for MOL is the same, but so is the game itself. If you enjoy the game, MOL ain't that bad.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

#10 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

The pricing for MOL is the same, but so is the game itself. If you enjoy the game, MOL ain't that bad.

I tried it but really couldn't get into it. I like the fact of physicly having the cards in my hand. Now if wizards made a game where you could play every single set and make it so you could play test your deck against a computer. That would be awesome and that way you could tweek it if it needs tweeking.

They are sposed to come out with duels of the planeswalkers again. I hope they have all the cards in the game.

Edited by WhiteLeo, 14 June 2009 - 02:46 PM.

I will never quit.

#11 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:04 PM

But that's like expecting me to pay $15-20 to stream a movie from Netflix. I love movies, and i love games, but i'm not paying real world money unless i get to keep something. Even if the cards were say, half the price of regular packs, it'd be enticing.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#12 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

Is there a reason the likes of Apprentice or Magic Workstation haven't been brought up, or is it just due to lack of knowledge of them?

In any case, both are free programs that are designed for playing trading card games, including... duh. Apprentice is the older and less polished of the two, while MWS is more modern and polished, and goes so far as being able to incorporate full card images. The difference from MOL is that everything is free (nearly - MWS charges a bit for the full version), there's no virtual collecting, the pool of cards available is limited only to what set and card files you're able to download, and connecting to other players is more complicated. Chat rooms at sites like www.magic-league.com are the most common means of getting in touch with fellow players and participating in tournaments.

#13 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:07 AM

Idiots and Arseholes abound on Workstation and on Apprentice. The chance of getting a high-quality player on one of those is next to nill since Magic Online came around.

Also, there's a free trial server for Magic Online (assuming they still have it after 3.0-- I can't run 3.0).

#14 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:51 AM

Just found out there's a Magic game hitting Xbox Live like...tomorrow. So i'll be considering picking that up pretty heavily.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#15 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:17 AM

Just found out there's a Magic game hitting Xbox Live like...tomorrow. So i'll be considering picking that up pretty heavily.

Let me know how it is if you decide to pick it up. From what I read you unlock cards as you play through the single player game. They can be used in multi as well and everyone will have the same set of cards to choose from ... for now.
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#16 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

Idiots and Arseholes abound on Workstation and on Apprentice. The chance of getting a high-quality player on one of those is next to nill since Magic Online came around.

I have never found an issue with finding so-called quality players through those methods, and I used those services both before and after the release of Magic Online. Douches exist, but they exist everywhere - look at this place's banned list.

I don't use anything at all currently, as my hard drive is dead, but arranging Apprentice games or something with everyone else on the boards interested could be cool, as long as one's not too net-illiterate to figure out how to connect.

#17 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

Most people who valued following and knowing the rules abandoned Apprentice and its clones. I suffered through years with those damnable things, and I almost NEVER found someone who knew the rules as technically as I sometimes would play.

The most common thing I saw typed was "you cant do that", and the most common thing I typed was rules citations.

I do miss playing 'player created' sets to an extent, but those got kinda dumb after a while.

#18 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:48 PM

So just a heads-up, the Xbox Live Magic game is pretty sweet. I played a bunch of the single player to unlock some decks, and then a few games on Live with a friend, everything works out great.

Sure there are only ten decks, but the game was only $10. Ten decks worth of cards in real life or on MTG Online is like $120, and you MIGHT get enough out of that to construct two or three that are actually playable. :)
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#19 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:11 AM

Cool I tried downloading the demo and it didn't finish before I called it a night.

I'll have to give it a whirl tonight.
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#20 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:36 AM

http://www.wizards.c...ily/feature/43c

Here's an article about 'duels of the Plainswalkers.' To a hardcore Magic player like me, this sounds AWFUL. For extremely casual players, though, who already play this (well, first instinct is to say 'horribly,' but 'inaccuratly' is more appropriate) way,it should be fine.

Also, anyone have any Orggs?

#21 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:04 AM

http://www.wizards.c...ily/feature/43c

Here's an article about 'duels of the Plainswalkers.' To a hardcore Magic player like me, this sounds AWFUL. For extremely casual players, though, who already play this (well, first instinct is to say 'horribly,' but 'inaccuratly' is more appropriate) way,it should be fine.

Hence it's a perfect fit for a thread entitled "Any casual Magic players on the board". :)

Seriously though, it's an incredibly cheap and streamlined way to play, allows me to play a quick and relaxed games with friends i don't see often, without the time-sink of deck-building and rules-lawyering. I had a couple minor complaints (i actually missed regenerating creatures at first because of a fairly fast timer), but all in all it's exactly what a Magic game on Xbox live should be. And the pre-built decks will allow me to actually participate in ranked games online and still have fun.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#22 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

Ugh. More bad news for me.

http://www.wizards.c...ily/feature/42a

No combat damage step (one of the most strategically fertile times in the game), no more mana burn (that'll let combo decks play out themselves without risking killing themself), and everything has a limited form of Banding when blocking(which makes the defending player have an OVERWHELMING advantage over the attacking player). And tokens are changing, but I expected that change since Brand came out in Urza's Saga, and they reverted mana emptying to what it was pre-sixth edition rules (no floating from Upkeep to Draw, now).

And I've got a note that I'll need to recertify, and I'm unable to go thirty miles right now, let alone the three hundred + to get to another Level 3 judge.

E- Gag. I'm feeling awful now. The game I love has devolved into something that just isn't what I grew up with.

#23 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:28 AM

Was able to play the demo last night. Thought it was a good deal of fun. I am not an experienced Magic player, never played with actual cards. I had and played a demo on the pc some time ago.

Seems to keep it streamlined to understand and play.

I'll probably pick it up in the next week or two. 60 points shy of having enough to pick it up.

#24 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:26 AM

Ugh. More bad news for me.

http://www.wizards.c...ily/feature/42a

No combat damage step (one of the most strategically fertile times in the game), no more mana burn (that'll let combo decks play out themselves without risking killing themself), and everything has a limited form of Banding when blocking(which makes the defending player have an OVERWHELMING advantage over the attacking player). And tokens are changing, but I expected that change since Brand came out in Urza's Saga, and they reverted mana emptying to what it was pre-sixth edition rules (no floating from Upkeep to Draw, now).

And I've got a note that I'll need to recertify, and I'm unable to go thirty miles right now, let alone the three hundred + to get to another Level 3 judge.

E- Gag. I'm feeling awful now. The game I love has devolved into something that just isn't what I grew up with.

I now how you mean. Yeah, Magic's 2010 rules are a little strange. In Play is now called the "Battlefield". I don't know I think they are trying to change it to compete with Yugiho. I think that's how it's spelt. I have never played that game so I don't know.

Anyways I was looking forward to duels of the planeswalkers. I still play the old school version. :unsure: I wish they would just come out with one that you can play every single card they make. Then you could build your deck playtest it against the computer. Then if it works go out and buy the cards. Plain and simple.

I have noticed though their is not that many people playing with old school cards. It is all the newer stuff. You can make a kick as deck included both old and new. :crazy:

WhiteLeo

I will never quit.

#25 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

"battlefield", "cast" and "exile" are terminology changes with very little functional change(only the things that got things that were 'out of the game' were affected). Phage is now understandable by novices, for example.

"When Phage comes into the battlefield, if you did not cast it, you lose the game." Instead of "when Phage comes into play, if you did not play it from your hand, you lose the game."

"But what about X, where I play the card "as though" it was in my hand?"

Well, with the old text, it was a little confusing to those who didn't know the game well. Now, well, you didn't cast her, did you? Then... you lose.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com