- - - - -

NFL 2009

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#51 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

do you ever get the impression that the lions may be losing on purpose so they can move?

No. The Ford family makes a mountain of money from the Lions. They used to sell out the Silverdome (80,000+) even when the team stunk a few years ago. The Lions lose because of the Ford family and a losing culture that permeates the entire organization.

A weird Detroit rumor that I've heard several times is that old-man Ford kept Millen around because they were drinking buddies and for no other reason. Go Lions!

#52 SpectreSuperSix5

SpectreSuperSix5

I am not a number. I'm a free man

• Old Guard
  • 2598 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, M.U.S.C.L.E., Xbox 360, firearms, grilling, muscle cars, zombies, and Cartoon Network.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:08 AM

My old man has liked the lions since before I was born. I'm a dolphins fan. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all...
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

#53 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

My old man has liked the lions since before I was born. I'm a dolphins fan. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all...

I for one, really enjoyed that Dolphins game last night. Its a shame they lost. :yahoo:

Wildcat!!!!!!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#54 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:37 PM

I for one, really enjoyed that Dolphins game last night. Its a shame they lost. :blush:

Wildcat!!!!!!

There have been some REALLY good, close games so far this year. I love it. Nothing is better than watching a football game that makes you so tense that you find yourself standing for the entire second half.

#55 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

All the early season games, both NFL and college, are fun to watch.

It gets to be a bit of a bummer when 4-6 teams play 3-7 teams.

#56 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

All the early season games, both NFL and college, are fun to watch.

It gets to be a bit of a bummer when 4-6 teams play 3-7 teams.

Unless of course those NFL teams are in the AFC or NFC West, in which case those 4-6 teams will probably win the division and get to go to the playoffs. :lol:

#57 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

Asator, please beat the Bengals this week. After those bums beat the Packers they are starting to print Super Bowl tickets.
In other news, the Browns will be 0-16 this year. :lol:

#58 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:52 PM

Asator, please beat the Bengals this week. After those bums beat the Packers they are starting to print Super Bowl tickets.
In other news, the Browns will be 0-16 this year. :lol:

I'll do my best, haha. :rolleyes:

#59 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

Damn, now I have to listen to these twerps all week. Plus the Browns play them next Sunday.

#60 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

What a game, eh? I cant believe that Sweed missed that TD catch. Rookies. <_<

I also cant believe some of those calls. :rolleyes:

Oh well, there is always next week.

#61 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

i'm just glad my bears won.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#62 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

How about them Cowboys :p :D

Stomped on those Carolina kittens B)

#63 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:46 AM

The Pack won. :D

And the Lions won. ;)

#64 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:09 AM

And the Lions won. ;)

Had to happen sooner or later. :D

#65 nevdog81

nevdog81

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Vintage video games, Football cards, comics pre-1999, Most action figures from the 1970- early 1990's.

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

In other news, the Browns will be 0-16 this year. :D

I went to the Packers Bengals game and was so pissed off! I bought 2 tickets on ebay for my dad and I to go and thought it was going to be a easy win.
But it was still fun to go back to Lambeau Field! Also Packer Alumni where honored at half time. I have to say it was pretty cool to see NFL Hall of Famers and other Packer Greats :D

GO PACK GO BEAT THE VI-QUEENS

#66 Blitzwulf

Blitzwulf

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

Bills, and Jets fail.

Pats win! (and moss/ brady make good...finally.)

@ Ghost Lion- my sympathies, I was hoping the browns would pull it in.

#67 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

Bills, and Jets fail.

Pats win! (and moss/ brady make good...finally.)

@ Ghost Lion- my sympathies, I was hoping the browns would pull it in.

I just finished watching this one...I was at the Sox game today. :)
It's about time Brady and Moss connect.:rolleyes:

Ghost Lion
I was watching ur boys also. :p
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#68 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

fubar :rolleyes:

#69 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

Cant believe I caught myself today rooting for the Browns and the Patriots. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. :rolleyes:

Sooooo... when did they stop blowing the whistle at the end of forward progress? The score of the Steelers/Chargers game should have been 38-21. But I guess we'll give them their bogus TD. The Chargers need a little confidence boost so they can make it all the way to 8-8 again this year.

Or, on the other hand, the refs blow the whistle too early and cost Kenny Philips a TD interception off of Jason Witten's foot 2 weeks ago.

Clearly the refs of the NFL need to get on the ball and get their shtuff straight.

P.S. Brady should be ashamed of himself for looking for a roughing the passer call today. Dude, man up. I hate to agree with someone like Ray Lewis but yeah, it is embarrasing to the game that a quaterback be such a sissy.

Edited by asator, 04 October 2009 - 08:43 PM.

#70 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:24 AM

P.S. Brady should be ashamed of himself for looking for a roughing the passer call today. Dude, man up. I hate to agree with someone like Ray Lewis but yeah, it is embarrasing to the game that a quaterback be such a sissy.

Amen! I never thought I'd be agreeing with Ray Lewis.

#71 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:38 AM

I think Tom Jackson said it well on ESPN last night. An unproven quarterback like JaMarcus Russell of the Raiders will simply not get the same calls as a proven, established qb like Tommy Brady will. One of the other commentators pointed out that the same thing occurs in the NBA with players like Jordan, Bryant, and LaBron James. They get calls that other, lesser players won't.

I'll take it a step further and say the same thing occurs for teams as well. Established teams like the Patriots, Steelers, and Dallas will get calls (and media hype) that other, lesser teams will not. And by lesser teams, I mean teams that don't regularly see the playoffs or win superbowls.

I mean come on, look at all the hype Romo and Dallas get every year. When's the last time they won a playoff game? Right. So what's the reason for all the hype and attention? It's the fact that the franchise has a slew of superbowl wins.

And if it sounds like I'm whining, I'm really not. I know compared to some other non-superbowl-winning teams, the Eagles actually get a lot of attention. However, we don't get nearly the attention and hype that other franchises get. But, we don't deserve it! We don't deserve to be talked about when it comes to superbowls because our franchise hasn't shown that we can win them.

So, this phenomenon is real, there's a reason for it, it's not going away, but it does need to be recognized and controlled as best it can.

EDIT: And it happens on all levels of sports as well, as we all know.

I live in Pennsylvania. A few years ago, a very small school had a basketball team made up of some guys who had been playing together since elementary school. They were very good. One year they went very far into the state playoffs, and the next year they lost in the championship game by 5 points. So, their program became highly regarded in our area by players, fans, and... the refs.

Last year, my nephew's team played them like the 2nd or 3rd game of the season. My nephew's school has a decent reputation as a basketball school, but nothing like the reputation that this other school was enjoying. The game was played, my nephew's team was essentially winning the game, but was called with a ridiculous 15-20 more fouls than Halifax the other school. This other team went on to win the game.

But, this other school failed to make playoffs, while my nephew's team did, and then went on into the third round of state playoffs.

I know I'm not telling you guys anything new: Refs sometimes think they know who the better team is, and make their calls accordingly.

Edited by Soupie, 05 October 2009 - 09:56 AM.

Posted Image

#72 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

I think Tom Jackson said it well on ESPN last night. An unproven quarterback like JaMarcus Russell of the Raiders will simply not get the same calls as a proven, established qb like Tommy Brady will. One of the other commentators pointed out that the same thing occurs in the NBA with players like Jordan, Bryant, and LaBron James. They get calls that other, lesser players won't.

A totally agree. The have to protect their meal ticket.

I'll take it a step further and say the same thing occurs for teams as well. Established teams like the Patriots, Steelers, and Dallas will get calls (and media hype) that other, lesser teams will not. And by lesser teams, I mean teams that don't regularly see the playoffs or win superbowls.

Here, I disagree. If you look at the stats for number of penalties and penalty yards of each team, you can see that its pretty mixed up and really the "established" teams dont really fare any better as far as numbers go. I mean, to say that teams like the Patriots, Steelers or Cowboys get special attention when it comes to calls is just wrong. First of all, the Patriots (those dirty rotten...) defense has the second most penalty yards against it and is tied for second with the most penalty calls against it. Their offense has 24 calls for 195 which is about average. Second, to imply that the Steelers dont get bogus calls against them means that you didnt watch the game last night, hahah.

I dont think any teams get special attention from the refs. Honestly, I think the refs make plenty of terrible calls on both sides of the ball, no matter the team.

As for media hype, I disagree here too, to a degree. First off, I'm sure the reason that the teams who do better more often get more media attention is because they excite people and excitement sells. Who gets excited wondering how awesome the Rams are going to be this year? I dont blame the media for this too much, I mean, they're trying to sell papers and who's gonna spend money to read about a team that they know is going to stink or has NO chance of being a contender during the next season?

But seriously, there are plenty of mediocre or worse teams who get all kinds of coverage and all kinds of hype.

Look at the Bills. What have they done lately? The Vikings? The Jets? Heck even the Lions. All of the hype from each of these teams can be attributed to ONE player on the team, and we all know which one it is for each of those teams.

And of course a team like the Steelers are going to get hyped, they just won the Super Bowl. The Pats, Giants, Colts, they all seem to be teams who have been at the top of the pile in recent years. Thats the price you pay when you are a Champion.

I mean come on, look at all the hype Romo and Dallas get every year. When's the last time they won a playoff game? Right. So what's the reason for all the hype and attention? It's the fact that the franchise has a slew of superbowl wins.

The Cowboys on the other hand, I'm not sure how they get hyped every year. I don't think that it is because of their 5 Super Bowls. If it was solely that, like you suggest, then why are the 49ers not hyped every year? Its almost like people have forgotten that the 49ers have 5 Super Bowl wins too. No, the Cowboys get hype I think because Jerry Jones has a zillion dollars to build the Cowboys a 500,000 seat stadium on the sun or whatever... though they havent won a playoff game since 96... :bunny: "America's Team"? That says a lot about "America", doesnt it? I think it also has to do with the fans. I mean, there is no denying, people from Texas are insane, in more ways than one, and there a lot of Cowboy fans out there, add the two together and BAM, instant hype! Yes, these poor, misguided folks are out there.

And if it sounds like I'm whining, I'm really not. I know compared to some other non-superbowl-winning teams, the Eagles actually get a lot of attention. However, we don't get nearly the attention and hype that other franchises get. But, we don't deserve it! We don't deserve to be talked about when it comes to superbowls because our franchise hasn't shown that we can win them.

Dude, I dont know what you are talking about here, I hear about the Eagles WAY more than I should. It's like every year some Blogster "Expert" is picking them as the NFC rep and ultimately the winner of the Super Bowl. I dont know why. This year was even worse with all the Vick talk. Yet another example of how one infamous player can draw a boatload of attention to one team.

#73 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

D'oh, that's a good point about the Eagles and Vick this year. :bunny:

But another reason the Eagles do get mentioned a lot is because they are typically in the playoffs, or at least have been for the past decade. However, I too cringe when I hear them get picked to win the superbowl every year. Reid and McNabb can win games, but they seem to be missing that certain something needed to win The Game.

:bunny:
Posted Image

#74 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

D'oh, that's a good point about the Eagles and Vick this year. :bunny:

But another reason the Eagles do get mentioned a lot is because they are typically in the playoffs, or at least have been for the past decade. However, I too cringe when I hear them get picked to win the superbowl every year. Reid and McNabb can win games, but they seem to be missing that certain something needed to win The Game.

:bunny:

It's like these dudes are jinxing them by picking them to win it all every year. Maybe they should avoid picking them at the beginning of the year so the Eagles have a decent shot of going all the way. :bunny:

Oh, if only it were that simple, eh?

And really I think that is why the Cowboys get hyped too. They haven't won a playoff game in years and years but they are in one of the toughest and most exciting divisions and really, they dont do too bad year in and year out.

And who knows really what is going to happen from week to week. To be honest, at the beginning of the year last year, I NEVER would have thought that the Steelers would go 12-4 and win the Super Bowl. What's funny is that at the end of the NFL 2007 thread, Nachoz God of Metal picked the Steelers to win it in the next Super Bowl and I'll be darned if he wasnt right, hahah.

P.S. GO PACK GO. Tonight, at least.

Edited by asator, 05 October 2009 - 04:45 PM.

#75 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

P.S. GO PACK GO. Tonight, at least.

Yeah, great game so far (at the half).

I'm enjoying Jaws and Gruden in the booth. I've learned so much this year from them jabbering back and forth. Good stuff.
Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com