5 replies to this topic

#1 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:01 AM

Here's a look at the two variations I found as a result of two different molds being used to make this sculpt. If anyone has a #060 with a 3rd variation, let us know!

Variation One: Ejector pin marks on back of ankle and back of thigh

Attached File  DSCN5243.JPG   31.17K   25 downloads Attached File  DSCN5245.JPG   34.36K   18 downloads Attached File  DSCN5257.JPG   34.7K   11 downloads

Variation Two: Ejector pin marks on back of thighs

Attached File  DSCN5248.JPG   29.02K   20 downloads Attached File  DSCN5244.JPG   31.08K   8 downloads Attached File  DSCN5253.JPG   32.39K   9 downloads

Edited by Soupie, 06 August 2008 - 10:45 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:24 AM

I realized I used two MUSCLEs for variation one and two Kinkeshi for variation two, so I added a Kinkeshi example for one and a MUSCLE example for two as well.
Posted Image

#3 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:24 AM

Are you saying that the variation is the plastic injection points?

#4 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:28 AM

Yes

#5 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

Are you saying that the variation is the plastic injection points?

No. And I do need to clarify. The four circles on the back of Kinkeshi/MUSCLE figures is not where plastic entered the mold. The plastic enters the mold via a tiny hole either at the sculpt's head or feet. Check out the tree Arforbes found for a visual.

Attached File  KinkeshiTree_IM_Forum.jpg   52.49K   21 downloads

Via PM's with TGB (which I will post here in a minute) he said those tiny holes were probably drilled into the molds after the molds were made. Therefore, their exact location on the mold will be slightly different for the sculpts on either side of the family mold.

Now, the four circle on the back of each Kinkeshi/MUSCLE are caused by the ejector pins pushing the figure out of the mold. Wikipedia:

Once the mold is open, the ejector pins are moved forward, ejecting the part. When the ejector pins retract, all criteria for a molding cycle have been met and the next cycle can begin.

Since #060 appears to have two consistent ejector pin patterns, I'm proposing that this is due to #060 having two different molds. (We already know -- due to Arforbes tree -- that each family mold had two molds for each sculpt.) So, the question is:

(1) Are these two ejector pin patterns a result of #060 being on both sides of a family mold. One ejector pin pattern on one side, and the 2nd ejector pin pattern on the other.

(2) Or are the two ejector pin patterns a result of there being 2 family molds, both having two molds for sculpt #060, for a total of 4 molds for #060. Family mold A has ejector pin pattern 1, and family mold B has ejector pin pattern 2.

My opinion is that option (1) is the correct option.

Edited by Soupie, 06 August 2008 - 09:46 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:05 AM

Oh, I misunderstood too. But you've cleared it up and definitely strengthened my belief that option #1 is correct.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com