• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#76 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Here's the last two of my guys, the only ones that were salvageable. They've had a rough life.

Posted Image

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#77 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:14 AM

whoa, crazy. I havent came across any of the soft ones. Are they marked the same as the others~? are they official~?

and they do melt~! haha

Edited by Ericnilla, 21 March 2012 - 12:15 AM.

#78 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

Are they marked the same as the others~? are they official~?

Yes and yes. And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but so far the super soft, rubbery ones are the only ones we've found carded.
Posted Image

#79 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

No. As I sit in my office, away from the actual 4-packs, I am 85% sure I have some of the hard figures in 4-packs. I say that because I never touched a super soft MUSCLEMANIA figure until very recently.

However, all of the 4-packs that have been turning up over the last...6+ months have been soft. I said some time ago that the softest may have been at the end of the run. I'm starting to believe that is the case. That's why we're seeing so many more soft ones show up. It's like how color MUSCLE 10-packs and 4-packs were at the end of the line - which let to big finds of those sets.

#80 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

However, all of the 4-packs that have been turning up over the last...6+ months have been soft. I said some time ago that the softest may have been at the end of the run. I'm starting to believe that is the case. That's why we're seeing so many more soft ones show up. It's like how color MUSCLE 10-packs and 4-packs were at the end of the line - which let to big finds of those sets.

You're probably right about that because I would have gotten my soft stretchy ones in the very late '80s, when these were on their way out.

#81 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but so far the super soft, rubbery ones are the only ones we've found carded.

I never followed up on this. I can now say I am 100% sure that I ONLY have soft 4-packs.

#82 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

Big update today guys, plus my Firm vs. Stretchy hypothesis. ;)

#83 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

Big update today guys, plus my Firm vs. Stretchy hypothesis. ;)

Nice update!

What I still wonder about these is if certain sculpts exist independently as either firm or stretchy or if every character exists as both. Certain characters I have only seen in stretchy form and others I have only seen in firm form. For example, it seems the later numbered figures always turn up stretchy. Of course, that doesn't mean their different material counterparts don't exist, it's just an observation.

#84 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

I've noticed that too.

I'm on the fence. It's the 12-pack that I see as the wild card. Could figures 13-24 been Firm in the 12-packs, but they just didn't sell many?

I haven't seen enough 12-packs to rule out that idea. But given what I have seen so far, it looks like 1-12 are both and 13-24 are only Stretchy.

#85 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Has anybody ever seen a MUSCLEMANIA figure that was made of hard plastic and not firm nor stretchy rubber? I got this lot recently and it has a dark blue hard plastic figures in it. It for sure isn't a dried out soft rubber figure and the plastic didn't deteriorate as the color is too nice and shiny. It just so happens that this is my favorite sculpt in my favorite color so that was pretty awesome as well.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#86 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Very cool. I've never seen any hard plastic ones--only soft plastic and stretchy rubber. Nice find!

#87 Biffard

Biffard

Team Truffle Shuffle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

I've had several hard plastic figures. Some were red, yellow, and translucent green. I've seen hard plastic figures in dark blue as well. Also, when I say hard plastic I mean nearly no flex in the arms or legs. Similar to a common gpk cheap toy plastic.

Good snag on that auction. I debated paying $40 for it but I took too long to decide. I'm glad someone here picked it up though!

#88 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

I've had several hard plastic figures. Some were red, yellow, and translucent green. I've seen hard plastic figures in dark blue as well. Also, when I say hard plastic I mean nearly no flex in the arms or legs. Similar to a common gpk cheap toy plastic.

Good snag on that auction. I debated paying $40 for it but I took too long to decide. I'm glad someone here picked it up though!

Any idea where they come from?

#89 Biffard

Biffard

Team Truffle Shuffle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

No idea. Mine all came from eBay and were loose figures. However, I tend to think they came from 12 packs but I have nothing to back up that claim with. Just a hunch.

#90 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

No idea. Mine all came from eBay and were loose figures. However, I tend to think they came from 12 packs but I have nothing to back up that claim with. Just a hunch.

weird and cool..glad i got it!!

#91 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Anyone else have any of the hard plastic figures?

#92 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

I used to have a Blue one but sold him a couple years ago to someone here on the board. I think there is an old thread with me asking about them, but no one know what it was.

#93 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

I used to have a Blue one but sold him a couple years ago to someone here on the board. I think there is an old thread with me asking about them, but no one know what it was.

it's just weird to me because there is information on both the firm rubber and stretchy soft rubber, but zero that i could find on the hard plastic ones.

#94 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

i just realized the hard plastic one does NOT have Select 1984 on it

#95 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

i just realized the hard plastic one does NOT have Select 1984 on it

To me, that only leaves two plausible scenarios:
1. Unlicensed bootleg that was resold (like in 25¢ machines)
2. Select lost the molds (for whatever reason) and used a new company to make figures. It would easily explain the "new" plastic. The casting company may have removed the Select because they were copying another company's work (the original mold).

Those are my guesses. :confused:

#96 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

im guessing a mexican bootleg, almost everything they boot is in a hard plastic.

#97 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

im guessing a mexican bootleg, almost everything they boot is in a hard plastic.

i could see that...do the translucent hard green figures have the select 1984 stamp?

#98 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

Reading over everything written on MUSCLEMANIA i realized something (i may have missed it but am pretty sure it was never mentioned)...the soft rubber figures have "Select 1986" as opposed to the firm figures having Select 1984".....i know it was speculated that firm came before soft, but i guess that kind of proves it....

#99 TinyPink

TinyPink

Vengeful Ghost of Bubba Ritter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:01 AM

I'm confused -- I've already seen figures, carded, that don't appear among the 12 pictured sculpts shown on the cardback.  (??)

Is everyone sure that there are just 12 sculpts?     :unknw:

Welcomed currency:  Rubber Uglies, rubber monsters, jigglers, vinyl monsters, Arco monsters, Imperial monsters, fish cans....

#100 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:47 PM

I'm confused -- I've already seen figures, carded, that don't appear among the 12 pictured sculpts shown on the cardback.  (??)

Is everyone sure that there are just 12 sculpts?     :unknw:

the soft figures you see in the 4 packs only came in soft rubber.....the 12 packs contained the more firm rubber sculpts, but these sculpts have also been found in soft rubber....the soft rubber sculpts you see in the 4 packs have never been found in the more firm rubber...there are more than 12 sculpts, but not all have been found in both soft and dirm rubbers

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com