• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 07:05 PM

I LOVED the first two episodes! I thought that the tension between Terry and Kid Muscle was a great character dynamic (although I wish they could have kept it for a while instead of resolving it in one episode). Kid Muscle's voice has a good combination of cowardice and heroism in it. And Meat's voice is waay too funny! Hearing a voice that sounds like a guy who has been smoking for 20 years coming from a little kid is hilarious! I didn't really have any problems with the voices, and I think they took some fun liberties with the characters (Sean Connery as Robin Mask... heh...) I think they did a great job with casting.

I also think that the "Muscle League" name harkens back to old MUSCLE days, so I enjoy that as well. And I actually liked the theme song, too. Its goofiness really goes well with the show, in my opinion. I guess everybody has his own tastes.

After seeing the first two episodes, I really think that kids will connect with this series.

-Nathan

#27 DavidMask

DavidMask

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 07:19 PM

Don't you worry, there is going to be lots of tension going on between Kid Muscle and the rest of the characters if the cartoon follows the comics, such as: Kid Muscle and Jade(Blocken Jr.'s pupil) fell in love with the same girl, the rivalry between Kevin Mask(Robin's son) and Kid Muscle...

#28 DavidMask

DavidMask

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 07:30 PM

I agree, the casting is awesome, the accents reflect the origin of the characters. Robin Mask is from England, therefore he sounds like Sean Connery.

#29 EASports

EASports

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 07:36 PM

As far as the quick resolution between Terry and Kid Muscle, I think that it's a classic example of a moral at the end of a story... And you see that a lot in kids cartoons. Would you rather have it drag on for weeks like DBZ? It's cool that we got some action right away.

And what about the coolest guy ever? dork dork Van dork?
"Let's go home"
"We are home"
"That was fast"

#30 DavidMask

DavidMask

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 07:56 PM

Don't be too addicted to drk drk van drk, he is just like Picalo in DBZ, cool for a few epidsos, being an extra for the rest of the series. The only role Drk Drk Van Drk has is being the guy who challeges a villan first, gets beat up quickly and paves the way for Kid Mucsle to be the hero and save the day.

I am wondering is Specialman Jr dead already. I hope not because I think he is cool.

#31 EASports

EASports

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 08:04 PM

I just thought it was super funny that his name is d1ck d1ck van d1ck. I actually laughed out loud!
"Let's go home"
"We are home"
"That was fast"

#32 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 16 September 2002 - 05:47 AM

I though that they did a good job with the voices.

The terry issue was resolved to quickly though. I guess king muscle just knows how to talk.

overall I thought they were preety good and the theme song is catchy.
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#33 Warsman

Warsman

Demonic General

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 06:51 AM

I really wish i could be part of a networking thing so i can see how many tuned in for the show

if it stays as it is i hope for a second season :)
well only 50 more episodes to watch before season 1 ends :wacko:
~This space for rent.
~~The Management

#34 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 12:18 PM

On the Nielson Ratings site, it was mentioned that they don't release detailed ratings of shows because they don't want to influence any of the Nielson families. I guess this excludes some basic information, like the top 20 shows in prime time. But I searched around a bit, and I didn't see anything about Saturday morning cartoons.

-Nathan

#35 AK of Troy

AK of Troy

The Man, the Manga, The Legend!

• Legends
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 05:31 PM

Not that I actually expect much from dubs these days, but the Kin 2 dub was... OK, I guess. I'll try not to criticize Toei too much since I doubt many people have read the manga and know what was cut. (Like Kinnikuman being AWOL.....)

The VAs are fine, but why does every character have to have a goofy accent or talk in puns? Wow, you look like a snake so you have to talk about snakes in every sentence... Makes sense to me. Robin Mask... Oh lord.... Meat... oh the pain.... "Kid Muscle"'s VA was pretty good.

The stupid changes.... Pay-Per-View? What the?! Why are they making it seem like this is the WWF? "DMP, nobody knows what it stands for but..." Umm... yes we do....

The intro.... OH MY LORD!!! How crappy can you get? The original intro was perfect and all the kids would have loved it. All they had to do was write some simple lyrics and combine it with the original music. Oh yeah, then they make less money, why would they do that? Sigh....

The Names..... This is so ridiculous... The main character has no name? The title has Kinnikuman in it, why not use the name in the show!?! Dik Dik Van Dik....... How hard is Gazellman?! What are they smoking...? Wally Tusket... Oh lord.. Canuckman? Very very sad...

Also, to the person who said the first season is like 50 eps, that's wrong. Only 37 eps or so have been created in Japan. So there won't be 50 dubbed eps for a long long time. The first season will probably only be like 25 eps. Though... If they keep showing 2 eps a week they will use up all they have pretty soon.

It took longer for the Terry-Mantaro issue to resolve in the manga, but things speed up in anime form.

#36 DavidMask

DavidMask

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 07:35 PM

Like I said before, they are Supermen, not stupid westlers. A lot of the plots are cutted from the manga. Ramenman trained Kid-muscle for two weeks, they cut that out. Meat isn't going to show up until the training in the heroes factory was over in the Manga, Meat shows up way too early. Kid-muscle didn't know his father was a hero because King Muscle ordered to destory all of his fighting record, they cut that part out.....
The rating of Kinnikuman gen II is so bad in Japan people predict this is the going to be the last season.

#37 DavidMask

DavidMask

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 07:36 PM

By the way, DMP stands for DEAMON MAKING PLANT
and Warsman is going to show up as KUROE, trainer of Kevin Mask.

#38 Warsman

Warsman

Demonic General

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 07:47 PM

i got the 52 off of a site , i can't remember what one right this moment
but it was a entertainment site.

also i belive it started in 2001 in japan so i don't know how long a season is
people like me that can't find manga easy or the older versions easy
are just happy someone reconized that kinnikuman exsists still in the hearts. 1 season or 10 seasons .

DBZ has horrible voice actors in the world and the plot takes 10 years to unfold , but people enjoy it. I've seen the japanese versions of some of the episodes and movies and yes i agree the japanese versions are better.

I'd like to find the gen 2 manga's i just ordered from ebay gen 1 mangas
but in manga they can install , but tv shows it's a like it or shove it
also only 21 minute of air time, so it hurts overall quality.
~This space for rent.
~~The Management

#39 DavidMask

DavidMask

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 07:49 PM

regarding the terry and Kid muscle conflict, I think it ended perfectly. I am so darn tired of that Goku-vegeta type relationship.

#40 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 06:12 AM

Well, each to his own, I guess. I was expecting goofy kid stuff in the show, so I enjoyed the dumb accents. Who knows for sure why they changed certain storylines and cut all that stuff out, but they probably thought it would make the show more interesting to American kids. For example, "Gazelleman" is a wussy-boy name for a main hero. But on the other hand, they changed it to "Dik Dik Van Dik" which isn't exactly the essence of masculinity...

But then again this show isn't meant to be for us old geezers, it's for the kiddies. The shows we watched when we were kids were just as goofy and cheesy.

-Nathan

#41 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 17 September 2002 - 07:15 AM

The wrestling part is probably an idea of capitalizing on how big wrestling is here in the U.S.

They are gearing the show towards kids and so they make it somewhat cheesy.

If you don't like it you can hope that they will bring it to the U.S. subtitled.

What works in Japan isn't always going to work here and vice versa. So there are things that have to be changed to make it more appealing to which ever area it is going to be shown.
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#42 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 07:23 AM

If you don't like it you can hope that they will bring it to the U.S. subtitled.

Yeah, that would be great! They had unedited episodes of Dragonball Z, so hopefully they'd do that for Kinnikuman. I would be interested in seeing what has been edited out.

-Nathan

#43 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 17 September 2002 - 07:33 AM

I agree that would be cool. In one of my Kinnikuman comics they showed Benki Man's fans throwing crap at him (Like roses), it even showed Nakano-San squating to crap so he could join the fun. I doubt that would have made it over here. Maybe though.

#44 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 10:21 AM

In one of my Kinnikuman comics they showed Benki Man's fans throwing crap at him (Like roses), it even showed Nakano-San squating to crap so he could join the fun. I doubt that would have made it over here. Maybe though.

I don't know. We still haven't seen Kinnikuman peeing his pants yet (except in the promo FoxBox video), so who knows how strict Fox will be with the editing of bodily waste?

-Nathan

#45 The Shizit

The Shizit

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 11:12 AM

Adamantiumwulf Posted on Sep 17 2002, 07:15 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The wrestling part is probably an idea of capitalizing on how big wrestling is here in the U.S.

why do u think fox picked it up in the 1st place???
www.rawkthreads.com

#46 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 01:25 PM

Adamantiumwulf Posted on Sep 17 2002, 07:15 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why do u think fox picked it up in the 1st place???

Mr. O
The Quote button works alot better. :p

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com