41 replies to this topic

#26 trestletop

trestletop

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

I'm interested in a set of those laser shields.  Those are pretty cool.  Do they all come with a plastic clip to attach to the arm or are they all hand held?  

#27 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

I'm interested in a set of those laser shields.  Those are pretty cool.  Do they all come with a plastic clip to attach to the arm or are they all hand held?  

Thanks! Regarding the holding method, a few posts ago in this thread I had I uploaded a few images of Sea Panic holding the two different styles of shields from different angles so you can see how they're held.

Since three of the lower-12 LBs don't have a left hand we had to improvise a clip since these shields did not have one originally. The clip we use is metal, but painted grey to match the shields and then adhered to the back. 

Let me know if you're for sure interested in a set and I can put you up on the pre-order list :thumbsup:

Edited by bachamn, 19 July 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#28 alexveriotti

alexveriotti

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

Got my shields today.  First and foremost let me say to the crew on the project.. effing great job!  I'm very new to the world of toy collecting but this kind of passion towards anything is pretty damn inspirational.. now my 2-cents..

Shields are made from a very sturdy hard plastic material.  9 shields came with unconnected handles, 3 came with glued 2-prong metal attachments.  There were 12 L-Bar handles provided.  The L-bar’s hooked into the shields PERFECTLY, in fact, it felt like they locked into place.   

What I liked the most was the artwork & concepts on the shields.  I know both teams of shield designers were going for the nostalgic "vintage" look resembling the original mid-12.  With the exception of Sam (which I like neither design btw), Bach’s team wins by a landslide. The style, color, concept and overall design, was very well executed!  Anarchy, Zarg, Shool, Fly Sail, Mouse, and by far my fav Wolf, are a homerun!  Also want to note that portraying the Egyptology / shrew concept is pretty damn cool.

Shool, Anarchy, and Mouse don’t have grip hands so the shields have the old school two-prong “clipâ€￾ style applied to their shields.  Unfortunately, I don’t own any original shields so I can’t offer a true comparison to the “clipâ€￾ but I can say hooking Anarchy’s shield to stay was the toughest.. (I managed to get the shield to stay clipped using his knee as a prop, looks pretty cool now =)).  Mouse was impossible to clip but found that I could squeeze the two prong shield into his left hand “gripperâ€￾ to make it stay.  In fact, he looks the most natural holding his shield after I did this.  Condor, and this guy really is one of my least favorite beasts, is so awkward in his stance that he’ll topple over holding the shield unless his shooter is aimed at the sky or pinned to the ground.

Overall, These 12 suckers; extra jacked-up with shields is pretty effing awesome.  Super kudos to the entire crew who made this happen!

#29 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:21 AM

Got my shields today.  First and foremost let me say to the crew on the project.. effing great job!  I'm very new to the world of toy collecting but this kind of passion towards anything is pretty damn inspirational.. now my 2-cents..

Shields are made from a very sturdy hard plastic material.  9 shields came with unconnected handles, 3 came with glued 2-prong metal attachments.  There were 12 L-Bar handles provided.  The L-bar’s hooked into the shields PERFECTLY, in fact, it felt like they locked into place.   

What I liked the most was the artwork & concepts on the shields.  I know both teams of shield designers were going for the nostalgic "vintage" look resembling the original mid-12.  With the exception of Sam (which I like neither design btw), Bach’s team wins by a landslide. The style, color, concept and overall design, was very well executed!  Anarchy, Zarg, Shool, Fly Sail, Mouse, and by far my fav Wolf, are a homerun!  Also want to note that portraying the Egyptology / shrew concept is pretty damn cool.

Shool, Anarchy, and Mouse don’t have grip hands so the shields have the old school two-prong “clipâ€￾ style applied to their shields.  Unfortunately, I don’t own any original shields so I can’t offer a true comparison to the “clipâ€￾ but I can say hooking Anarchy’s shield to stay was the toughest.. (I managed to get the shield to stay clipped using his knee as a prop, looks pretty cool now =)).  Mouse was impossible to clip but found that I could squeeze the two prong shield into his left hand “gripperâ€￾ to make it stay.  In fact, he looks the most natural holding his shield after I did this.  Condor, and this guy really is one of my least favorite beasts, is so awkward in his stance that he’ll topple over holding the shield unless his shooter is aimed at the sky or pinned to the ground.

Overall, These 12 suckers; extra jacked-up with shields is pretty effing awesome.  Super kudos to the entire crew who made this happen!

Thanks for the review, I'm glad you liked them! For the 3 clips, I did notice that some were of varying widths so if you're having trouble getting them to stay on the arms you can gently bend the metal inwards with some pliers until you get a snug fit.  Put a rubber band or cloth around it while doing so to avoid scratching the paint on the clip :)

Edited by bachamn, 02 August 2013 - 05:22 AM.

#30 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

Just got my White Leo shield today!!!! Friggin awesome!!!!!

Attached Files

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#31 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

Oh, I want to thank Coelacanth too for the bad ass design. He has been working with bachamn on these shields. And let me tell you they rock!!!!!!

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#32 Coelocanth

Coelocanth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

Oh, I want to thank Coelacanth too for the bad ass design. He has been working with bachamn on these shields. And let me tell you they rock!!!!!!

Thanks man! They were a lot of fun to do. More BB designs coming soon - and taking suggestions on which beasts get shields. Though life is pretty busy right now, hopefully someone else doesn't take over that project before I do. 

#33 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

Thanks man! They were a lot of fun to do. More BB designs coming soon - and taking suggestions on which beasts get shields. Though life is pretty busy right now, hopefully someone else doesn't take over that project before I do. 

All 76 regular BBs should get shields. Since they all have the same shield sculpt, it's more of a matter or drawing 76 new designs. Get cranking. :p

But yeah the Carp, Alligator, Shark, Bat, Octopus, Chameleon, Bear, Frog, Owl, Gorilla were beasts featured more than most.

What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#34 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

For Sale
Custom White Leo Shield
26 Sep 2013 - 16:53
Another of Coelacanth's superb shield designs, this time depicting an impressive coat of arms for White Leo. While this was just an extra design that Ed put together for fun and wasn't originally planned to be distributed, we had multiple members ask h...

:acute:

Attached Files

#35 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

They're made of hard plastic,not the stuff used on the vintage shields. So no, they do not bend but yes, the little notch at the top of the shield fits the laser quite nicely. This was actually one of my search criteria when we were in the planning stages. While I don't own an original sled to test with and so can't say for sure, on the repro sled I have it seems like the notch was a tiny bit too narrow for the shield's thickness. However it's possible that the original sleds are made of plastic with a little more give, and if not slightly narrowing the thickness on bottom of the shield would make it fit. I'll mess with that later this evening and try to get some pics taken if I can make it work with my sled, but for now here are some early prototype-stage photos that show a few angles of the shield/laser combo:

attachicon.gifIMG_20130214_131615.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_20130214_131724.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_20130214_131541.JPG

I can confirm that the shields are slightly too big to fit into an original sled unfortunately. But perhaps sanding down the back of the shield at the bottom a little could thin it out enough that it could fit, it wouldn't be much sanding because it's really close but it would sacrifice the nice finish on the shield so that's probably why I think thinning it from the back is better so it's not visible from a frontal point of view. I'll probably give it a try since I ordered 2 sets.

What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#36 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

Just skimming, don't know if this'll help.... but you can polish up plastic by incrementally using finer and finer grits of sandpaper till you get to like 2000 grit. Again I don't know the finish we're talking about, but that might help.

#37 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

White Leo Shield Pre-Order List

Bold means payment has been received; strike-through means your order has shipped! :thumbsup:

1. BattleChick41
  2. alexveriotti
  3. FANtomCore (x2)
  4. eightystoynut (x3)

Edited by bachamn, 10 September 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#38 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

Preorder list updated; first wave of White Leo shields are going out in the mail tomorrow! :)

#39 tokyonever

tokyonever

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Nice Job for the White Leo, he looks great holding the shield ;)

laserban.jpg

blogbann.jpg

#40 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've begun offering these on eBay.

The first set sold very quickly and there are only a limited quantity remaining, so if you've been waiting to buy a set consider this is a heads up that they might not be around for much longer. LRG pricing is still $45 for a set of 12, so just drop me a PM if you're interested in the Lower 12 (or White Leo shields for just $5!)

Edited by bachamn, 28 October 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#41 beastmode

beastmode

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

These shields look outstanding!..it makes me want to purchase all of the LBs as I don't have very many of them..I am also eagerly awaiting for the BB shields to begin production..the figs I would like to see first are:

Gator, Carp, Horse, Panther, Bison, Sabre, Crow, Shark, Gorilla, Rhino, Porcupine (No order)

Thanks for all the contributions and info found here..I have just joined LRG.

Anyone have a Brown Lion for sale?

#42 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:21 PM

Just wanted to drop a friendly notice in that I've posted the final full set of Lower 12 shields on eBay. Response there has been great and it's been very simple moving the rest of our available sets. So, if you've been holding off ordering a set of these let me know in a PM if you'd like to pick this one up. I know there are a few guys here who had gotten in touch with me about ordering a set but never followed through, so here's your fair warning before they're gone. :)

I have a handful of blank shields left after this set, just not enough to make a full set of 12. So if you're looking for just a few particular designs and not a full set, let me know soon and I can make it happen. There are also still 3 White Leo shields up for grabs. Individual shields are $5/each + shipping.

Oh and thanks for those suggestions beastmode, I'm glad you're enjoying your shields! Everyone else, please let me know what Battle Beasts you'd like to see get their own shield. If there's enough interest we just might be able to make it happen! :thumbsup:

Edited by bachamn, 05 December 2013 - 01:23 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com