ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

I got this mixed lot of figs from eBay over the weekend (mostly for the MIMPs) and it included one army ant with a pencil-hole on it's underside, no spot for a thorax, and sloppy paint.  I looked around a bit and didn't come across any mention of these, so curious if there's existing knowledge about them (assuming there is, and I just couldn't locate it).

$_57.JPG

I can take a better pic of the figure later this evening but for now here's the auction photo (he's in the bottom-right of the pic)

#2 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

It is most likely a bootleg, likely distributed through vending machines. Every so often a line of mini-figures had their molds sold off once the lines were discontinued and wound up as vending toys; "Real Squish Bugs" are one of the more recent to do so and I definitely see ripoff Army Ants from time to time in the display cards of mix vending machines.

#3 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

It is most likely a bootleg, likely distributed through vending machines. Every so often a line of mini-figures had their molds sold off once the lines were discontinued and wound up as vending toys; "Real Squish Bugs" are one of the more recent to do so and I definitely see ripoff Army Ants from time to time in the display cards of mix vending machines.

yeah I'm sure it's a bootleg item, but I hadn't seen Army Ants KO's before other than the Euro ones that are pretty well-known. Just wasn't sure if these had been documented here anywhere yet. Sloppy paint aside I kind of like these versions better than the originals, probably because it's rubber.

Anyway here's a front/back photo for posterity.

aa-bootleg.jpg

Edited by bachamn, 18 August 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#4 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Wow, that is something that I have never seen before. I have collected Army Ants for a while, and had no idea that these existed. Great find! He looks a bit weird to me without his thorax, but I like the color combination. 

#5 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

I believe there is a thread, somewhere on here, with a pic of about three of these in it.

#6 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

Yeah I have a couple somewhere, I got them in mixed lots. They don't pop up that often.

#7 TanRnet

TanRnet

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, Army Ants, The Real Ghostbusters, and most movies/music/games from the 80s.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

Pretty cool find. Where were these when I was in elementary school. Having these on my pencils would have been awesome.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Army Ants, Bootleg

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com