- - - - -

Art contest calendar and discussion

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#51 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:55 AM

what if we did like a lrg masterpieces. where we put lrgs in fine art. like the mona lisa could be a gpk or cutie or something like that.

I wasn't crazy about your other ideas, but this one would be awesome! Of course, trying to beat Tortle in something like that would be a huge challenge.

LRG vs LRG collectors - now doesn't that create some interesting images?

LRG brawl - 2 or more LRG lines, the more characters involved in the fight the better.

LRG style wheres Wally

I love all three of these ideas!

I would also be interested in seeing LRG's in "real-life" situations. Would Terri-Bull run a daycare? Would Stone Cobra be a toll booth operator? Something like that.

#52 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:42 AM

what if we did like a lrg masterpieces. where we put lrgs in fine art. like the mona lisa could be a gpk or cutie or something like that.

I wasn't crazy about your other ideas, but this one would be awesome! Of course, trying to beat Tortle in something like that would be a huge challenge.

That sounds like fightin' words. Now i'm going to have to insist that this idea get used. :thumbsup:
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#53 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

I'm back! And I brought my back with me!

• Legends
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Taking old toys and making them new again.
    Staying motivated artisticly, creatively.
    Keeping my XboX360 addiction under controll.
    Putting my surplus M.U.S.C.L.E.s in trades of other toylines.
    Talking like Tom Waits more often.
    Getting that Y/S N*T tattooed big n' bold accross my back.
    Having my dentist build me some new permanent fangs.

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:04 AM

Ok, here's the 2009 Challenge Calender!

January-February:
L.R.G. Vs M.o.t.U : Masters of the Universe battles/mash-ups/teams with L.R.G. figure lines.
Figure Joints customs Challenge : Will focus on articulation, joint durability/strength, and innovation. Will be found in Customs.
February-March:
Beastformers- Call of the wild : BBs regress and lose their anthromorphic properties.
L.R.G. Macro Challenge #1 : Instead of cats, we use L.R.G. figures. Focus on humor. Find in Sandbox
March-April:
L.R.G. Headshots : Portraits of your favorite L.R.G. figure or board member.
Figure paint and sculpt customs Challenge : Will fcus on painting quality and design, as well as custom sculpting. Will be found in customs.
April-May:
M.U.S.C.L.E. Zombies! : Muscles as zombies or fighting zombies.
May-June:
LRG Mashups : Covers mashups/teamups/versus of any 2 or more Lrg lines
Figure props and dioramas customs challenge Will focus on the custom props and backdrops, and how well they fit the figure(s). Will be found in customs.
June-July:
G.P.K. & Cheap Toys : Covers both Cheap toys and the card line they're based off of. New card series also eligeble.
L.R.G. Macro Challenge #2 : Outdoor theme. May be cancelled if #1s participation is low. Find in sandbox.
July-August:
L.R.G. Figure Logo : A logo representing a single figure from LRG lines. Please keep in mind that the winner will have their logo painted on the patch!
August-Septmber:
Battlebeast M.I.A. : The animals that never got "beastformed" finally get their due.
September-October:
L.R.G. Workin for the weekend. : Lrg figures get jobs.
Figure Halloween customs Challenge : Customized to into costumes. Will be found in Customs.
L.R.G. Macro challenge #3 : Halloween themed. Will be found in Sandbox.
October-November:
M.I.M.P. Vs C.U.T.I.E.S : A true Versus challenge. Monsters chase and torment Cuties in distress, or are defeated by victorious vixens!
November-December:
L.R.G. Tattoo Grafix : LRG charachters designed into tat art, either pre or post needle.
Dacember-January2010:
Beastformers Vs Beastwars- Blood and Oil! : Another true Versus Challenge. BBs take on thier all-metal counterparts.

By my count, that's 19 challenges in '09 (and 19 patches- Yikes!) in three different forums.

I know there were a few requests for challenges that are not on there yet, but I'll see what I can work in. Many could be entries in challenges that ARE on the roster for '09, the Where's Wally idea for instance.

Edited by Reccoom Kaboom, 23 December 2008 - 09:06 AM.

Posted Image

#54 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

Wow, great lineup! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go have my secretary cancel all my appointments for 2009. :)
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#55 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

jeebus. there's a lot of great contests coming up. i figure if i can get started on the ones i'm most interested in now i might get something finished on time for a change. :)

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#56 mannakat

mannakat

Electro Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Creature junkie, werewolves, dinosaurs

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

Going to have some real fun with these. Hopefully will be able to enter a fair few of em.

#57 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

• Legends
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:08 PM

Glad to hear. I was thinking that maybe posting the entire year calendar, the participation might get a boost.

Will also post this lineup in new Custom and Sandbox threads, to maximize cross-pollination of our talent pool.

Its up to Johnny whether he wants to prize for all these. Frankly, I'm surprised he has for this long. 15 challenges down, at 10 a pop, that's 150 out of his own pocket. Very generous, indeed.
Posted Image

#58 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:36 AM

I just wanted to add a quick note. I'm glad we're trying to get more people involved in the contests, but we need to have some central spot that highlights the current contests and where they are located. If I didn't waste so much time at work looking at just about every thread, then I probably would have missed the caption and articulation contests.

Plus if I don't read every thread Jkaris cuts my pay by 50%. I can't let that happen again. :p

#59 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

• Legends
  • 917 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

Um, like the old A.K.I.A homepage? I wouldn't know how to help you with that....

...I'm just an artist...
Posted Image

#60 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:23 PM

maybe someone can trick jkaris into posting info on the contests where he had his ron paul book propaganda up. although maintaining that while maintaining the website and his web store might be a little much.

#61 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order, these are the things I collect;
    Monster in my Pocket (Both original the modern)
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:09 AM

although maintaining that while maintaining the website and his web store might be a little much.

Why not a note saying 'Check out the contests! New contests available monthly in the Fan Art forum, every x number of months in customs, x number of months in sandbox....' you know, something general that doesn't need to be edited. Just to point people in the right directions. Once they know the contests exist and roughly where they are they wont have too much trouble finding them, right?
I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

#62 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

maybe someone can trick jkaris into posting info on the contests where he had his ron paul book propaganda up. although maintaining that while maintaining the website and his web store might be a little much.

I like that idea.

#63 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

• Legends
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

There have been a few questions pm'd to me, wondering if an entry they were planning could be disquailfied for one reason or another. Not being an administrator or moderator, I couldn't even if I thought it nessesary, and I doubt that any of the Admin or Mod would take measures without really good reasons. The area where an entry's qualifications are scrutinized are in the voting polls. A good example of this is Tortle's Turducken Vs Kiss entry for the holiday challenge: not having any figure line represented wouldn't have disquailfied it, but its quite possible that fact hurt it in the polls. Just food for thought.

There are a few things that should be considered when entering:

Try to enter only new art (i.e something not already posted in another topic or challenge). the challenge topic should be where you first post the piece if you intend to enter it.

Try to include some aspect of the challenge theme in the piece.

Aside from the theme, anything can be incorporated into the entry; other figure lines, themes, mediums.

Figure lines that aren't typically found here are still valid.

Please keep it tastefull, unless its another nasty nester challenge.

Again, I'm no Mod or Admin, so take these suggestions with that in mind.
Posted Image

#64 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:35 AM

I got Reccoom's badge and extra credit from FAC #15! The extra credit this time is one of his super-cool blocks. This one is of Ashuraman. This was the line art for it:

Attached File  sha_line.jpg   118.13K   10 downloads

I love these blocks, and I'm home today because of bad weather, so I decided to finish it. Here's the inked version:

Attached File  sha_ink.jpg   163.47K   12 downloads

And I decided to color it with crayons. I didn't know what Ashuraman's color scheme was (and frankly didn't care) so I just went crazy with the colors:

Attached File  sha_color.jpg   149.52K   16 downloads

After assembly, here's Ashuraman in all his glory!

Attached File  sha_3.jpg   97.86K   7 downloads
Attached File  sha_2.jpg   92.37K   5 downloads
Attached File  sha1.jpg   79.71K   8 downloads

How Reccoom designs these blocks is beyond me. Half the time when I was finishing it, I had no idea what I was doing. Anyway, great job Reccoom, and thanks a lot! ;)

#65 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:43 AM

Awesome block bro! Great job coloring!

Reccoom, you never cease to amaze me with your ingenuity!

As far as your suggestions go, they sound great to me.

On the $10 prize, I am more than happy to continue to supply one $10 prize per month for the main F.A.C., as long as participation is good. Although, if participation ever dissipates, the FACs would likely get put on hold anyways. Hopefully participation increases.

As far as the FAC links in the board header (where the Ron Paul book link used to be): As long as you guys PM me the updated blurb, I can update it.

Other than that, I don't really check this thread too often, but I do check the art threads!

#66 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

best extra credit prize ever.

#67 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

• Legends
  • 917 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

great work on the extra credit, Tortle! Congradulations on being the first of five extra credits sent out to turn one in. That leaves Scumdogg, Airot, Theorgg, and your other extra credit.

If oddbloks are the preferred extra credit, that is fine with me. I can theme just about any figure line on these.
Posted Image

#68 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

i think those oddbloks are the coolest ever. i hope i can win a contest just so i can get one.

#69 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

• Legends
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:19 PM

Great poll turnout for challange 17 gormiti. Congratulations Ericnilla, and everyone else who entered. This was a strong turnout, and and garnered an impressive amount of attention from the community.

What I find impressive that hasn't been brought up yet are the views/replies counted between the challenge topic and poll topic. as of this post, challenge 17 drew 629 views and 47 replies over the course of 2 months 2 weeks. Poll 17 drew 540 views and 35 replies in one week, for 1169 views and 82 replies for a single challenge. I'd say all the extra promoting definately worked. This is also further proof that the fan art section is something for us all to be proud of.
Posted Image

#70 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

Thanks RB. and yeah the FA section here is pretty awesome... i love the fact that there is constant great art brought to the table every month for all to enjoy... , whether i win or loose is not a huge factor, i just love seeing other peoples interpretation of the contest at hand and just having fun. I just wish we had more people entering.

#71 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

i'm going to try to stop sucking at getting shizznit done. with my work schedule and school and family though it's hard to juggle. i guess i could try and give up sleeping. don't really want to fall asleep at work when i'm 30' in the air though. i'll figure something out. :huh:

#72 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

i'm going to try to stop sucking at getting shizznit done. with my work schedule and school and family though it's hard to juggle. i guess i could try and give up sleeping. don't really want to fall asleep at work when i'm 30' in the air though. i'll figure something out. :yes:

i know what you mean... i have alot on my plate right now too... i almost have a panic attack daily. ;)

i've been drawing at work a lot lately...

on my lunch of course :huh:

#73 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

hehe.. yeah right. :huh:

#74 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

While trying to find digital copies of the covers of all the CDs I own, I thought of a great contest concept-- LRG Album Covers.

Sound interesting?
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#75 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

• Legends
  • 917 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

That was actually the first of the extra credits that I sent Tortle (m.u.s.c.l.e pentagram as the angel Led Zepplin cover), to test the intrest.
Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com