1034 replies to this topic

#51 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

I am honestly ok with the plunger so long as it doesn't make the figures hard to balance.

Otherwise, even WITH the blocky bodies (which I can get used to pretty quick), I WANT to somehow get these figures.

#52 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

Those would really make great energon cubes.

Also, these are probably the closest to original looking Battle Beasts we will ever get.

#53 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

I don't think that final release dices will use stickers. I guess only the promo figures will have this kind of dices.

#54 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

When was the last toyline that you can remember that had such an action feature, anyone recall?
Knowing that the dice uses stickers, I'll be sure to scan all of them just in case I lose a dice I can use a new dice and print out a replacement sticker.

Think Transformers Bot Shots and B-Daman

In regards to the plungers, ditch the dice, push in the plungers and stick a reprolabel on the end of the plunger. If we get lucky a heat sensitive one.

#55 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Think Transformers Bot Shots and B-Daman

In regards to the plungers, ditch the dice, push in the plungers and stick a reprolabel on the end of the plunger. If we get lucky a heat sensitive one.

Ah, well both are from Takara, so clearly a pattern shown. I'm surprise a few here have no really interest in playing the dice game. I felt the Battle Beasts game was rather boring and short, but the dice game for BS could be interesting. I hope we get an English translation on how to play it.
What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#56 glass67

glass67

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure, Pink Floyd, the Pacific Ocean, the 80's!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

Ah, well both are from Takara, so clearly a pattern shown. I'm surprise a few here have no really interest in playing the dice game. I felt the Battle Beasts game was rather boring and short, but the dice game for BS could be interesting. I hope we get an English translation on how to play it.

I would love to play the game, especially since my daughters have shown interest in it, I just need English instructions. If the dice come with stickers I'll end up using those for the end of the plunger for display purposes and buy extra figures for my kids and I to play the game. Have to wait and see how things pan out, I guess.

#57 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

What are your thoughts on it, GJ?

Ok, guess its about time to give my reaction.

As you all might know I've been pretty harsh and had a lot of criticism about the other 'wannabe' BB lines that have been discussed the last months and it wouldn't be fair to spare the Beast Saga line as I'm affraid there's quite some issues to complain about.... at least for me personally.

Like all of you this side by side shot has been something I've really been looking forward to because outside the crucial in hand conclusion this is the 2nd most important option to be able to shape any opinion about this new Takara line.

First of all I'd like to add that this Hamster promo figure isn't really the perfect reference looking at the other more 'advanced' sculpts that can be found within this line. Its been mentioned before by Lord but this is quite an important thing to keep in mind. But of course this figure tells a lot about what to expect from the other BS figs.

The dice was/is and will become an issue for me personally as I've not been very fond that idea from the beginning. I had the hope, after seeing the first grey prototypes, they'd be able to merge it a little more with the figure but now with that whole shootingsystem in it they clearly didn't succeed with that IMHO. Its presence is to much within the overall view of the figure and its clearly something that jumps into the eye immediately, especially with this Hamster looking figure. Maybe with other sculpts/colors this will be a little less?

Based on the references so far I'm affraid the sticker idea will remain and its something you've to put on the dice yourself as it looks like a paper with stickers is included in the boxes. This might be in line with some other critics I'll have later.

First back to the dice shootingsystem as I share the concern of balance which is also related to its 'shaky appearance' (also an aesthetic issue). I've had some balancing problems amongst the LB of which some figure just wont stand properly holding their gun. This can be quite annoying for displaying them. But looking at the material used (pretty sure its hard plastic) and the way its weapon and shield are designed (holding position close to its body) I think the balancing issue wont be as big as it looks due to the combination of these factors. But this'll mostly depend on its feet and leg joints which look not to convincing.

Looking into the aesthetics the first thing to note is the blocky appearance which as some of you mentioned as well is something i can get used to. But the main issue I have here is similar to the issue I have with the DST line figs namely the way its joints give the figure a shaky and uncertain look. Especially the side by side shot is clearly showing the BIG difference of the way this figure stands in relation to the strong and balanced stand of the BB and LB fig. So this is not only a balancing concern as discussed above but its (maybe even more) and aesthetic issue. The reason I like the vintage line is because of their strong appearance which showes power and strenght especially if you look at a figure like Jaded Jag and the way this one stands. And although the joints give more freedom within the displaying options, I like the happy walk positoin pic of this Hamster, it can also be a weakness (especially in combination with the used material!).

When it comes to the level of detail I think the design/sculpting team of Takara did a great job again as the details are there as before and in combination with the overall design the Beastformer feeling is certainly there. So this is a good thing. BUT.... here I go again also the details suffer from the material used IMHO.

Because I totally agree with John and it was something that was clear to me directly looking at the pics they've used HARD PLASTIC for this BS figure. Maybe not for 100% but at least for 80% or more. And this is a concern that's in line with the sticker issue I mentioned in the beginning of this reply. Shoot me if I'm wrong but its starting to look like Takara has decided to go and launch a much more cheap lookign line compared to the vintage line. The stickers, ok these were also there with the vehicles and some of the BB figs (loose sunburst sticker), are not the strongest way to solve the problem of having a character/symbol/number onto the dice. Its clearly a money saving issue as printing these directly onto the dices would've cost much more. And saving money within the production process might also have been the reason for the choice of the hard plastic material, BUT this might also have something to do with the strict international (?) rules for plastics beign used in toys. Rules or not its clear that the choice for the Hard Plastic is influencing the lifespan of these figs because in combination with the breakable looking joints I'm affraid a lot more BS figs wont survive like most of the BB LB figs did.

It might a big offence but in the extreme you might even say that these figs have Kinder Surprise Egg look over them.......... srry for this as I know this might influence your view on them :)

So far my criticism, which I think on most points is quite valid.

Beast Saga still has the benefit of the doubt but after all their succesfull and hopefull updates over the last months its sad to get confronted with these issues so close to their official release........

For me personally these pics have resulted in the fact that FOR SURE I wont go buying or pre-order these figs like a maniac directly as I really need to get my hands on one before I can make a final decission.

These were my thoughts ;)

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#58 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

Nice writing GJNL. I'm 100% sure that the dice will be printed dice and not like the promo one which need stickers. Keep in mind that Takara had to produce about 30 000 figures for the promotion and that they had to be ready more than 1 month before the launch of the line. This is the reason the promo figures come unpainted and the dice was not finalized. This promo are some kind of pre production items. I wonder where you saw that a paper with stickers will be included in the boxes.

About the plastic I still think that all the figure will be in a plastic similar to the old one with the launcher and dice being hard plastic. I don't know why but I have some kind of intuition. We will know very soon for sure. As soon as the promos will be in Onyxiaphil's hands.

#59 glass67

glass67

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure, Pink Floyd, the Pacific Ocean, the 80's!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:57 AM

Nice writing GJNL. I'm 100% sure that the dice will be printed dice and not like the promo one which need stickers. Keep in mind that Takara had to produce about 30 000 figures for the promotion and that they had to be ready more than 1 month before the launch of the line. This is the reason the promo figures come unpainted and the dice was not finalized. This promo are some kind of pre production items. I wonder where you saw that a paper with stickers will be included in the boxes.

About the plastic I still think that all the figure will be in a plastic similar to the old one with the launcher and dice being hard plastic. I don't know why but I have some kind of intuition. We will know very soon for sure. As soon as the promos will be in Onyxiaphil's hands.

Not only did the hamster come with stickers that needed to be applied, but it looks like the DX playset has them as well. From that I would say there's a fair chance this will be the way the dice are packaged. I could be wrong, but I really hope I'm not.

#60 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

Not only did the hamster come with stickers that needed to be applied, but it looks like the DX playset has them as well. From that I would say there's a fair chance this will be the way the dice are packaged. I could be wrong, but I really hope I'm not.

The DX playset is clearly swhown to be sold with stickers for the dice. This is not the case for the figures so why do you want them to be sold with dice stickers ? I'm 100% sure that the dice will be printed dice. If not the stickers sheet would have been shown like for the DX playset. The Hasmter certainly comes with stickers because of a lack of time to have the final dice ready for the promotion.

#61 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

The DX playset is clearly swhown to be sold with stickers for the dice. This is not the case for the figures so why do you want them to be sold with dice stickers ? I'm 100% sure that the dice will be printed dice. If not the stickers sheet would have been shown like for the DX playset. The Hasmter certainly comes with stickers because of a lack of time to have the final dice ready for the promotion.

I thought the same possibility that glass concluded. Whether stickered or painted dice, its fine either way. Although I think from a manufacturing point of view it would probably be cheaper in sticker form to mass produce.
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

#62 glass67

glass67

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:34 AM

Whether they do come with stickers or not, I honestly don't care that much. The only reason I hope they have stickers is because I would like to take the animal sticker and place it on the end of the plunger so I don't have to display the beasts with dice in their chests. If not I'll just have to wait for repro labels to show up at some point, or display them without anything.

#63 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

Whether they do come with stickers or not, I honestly don't care that much. The only reason I hope they have stickers is because I would like to take the animal sticker and place it on the end of the plunger so I don't have to display the beasts with dice in their chests. If not I'll just have to wait for repro labels to show up at some point, or display them without anything.

Or it might be an idea for the sculpt/mold artists amongst us to produce a dice filling element that can be painted into the same color of the armor to fill that ugly dice hole...........

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#64 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

Or it might be an idea for the sculpt/mold artists amongst us to produce a dice filling element that can be painted into the same color of the armor to fill that ugly dice hole...........

Seems a bit unnecessary, your idea is implying to remove the whole dice shooting mechanic out of the figure, which would actually be ruining the figure's resell-ability if those parts can not be put back in. Here's another idea, just tuck in the plunger into the figure, it's flat square surface reaches up to the chest of the figure now, then scan the animal symbol of the dice and then sticker print it and label it on the square surface. Until we have the figures in hand. I can't say my idea is best suited for display purposes. For all we know the plunger or the entire dice shooting mechanic can be easily removed and put back without any trouble.

Edited by FANtomCore, 12 August 2012 - 09:44 AM.

Spoiler
-Walter Benjamin

#65 salazar4id

salazar4id

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Around for any RARE Laser Beasts.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

I only have one real take on this new line, I hope it continues to grow, with battle and laser beast prices through the roof this line gives us a chance to start collecting something similar to the old line but with a 20th century twist.
I for one am for them them and can't wait to add a few to the Battle and Laser beast collection...!
Manuel

#66 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

When you say you're excited for this, do you mean they look cool and you'll buy a few? Or do you mean they look cool and you will actively collect the entire set?

What are people planning?

#67 saleen123456

saleen123456

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

When you say you're excited for this, do you mean they look cool and you'll buy a few? Or do you mean they look cool and you will actively collect the entire set?

Well I bought 1000 figs so Im in for the long haul I guess :woot: I like the figures so far, the dice thing I'm on the fence about but we will see. I plan on getting a whole set of Regular and Clear Figures.

#68 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

When it comes to me at this moment (after my view on the side by side pic) I might only buy the few ones that are cool looking where before I was seriously thinking about going in all the way. But as mentioned before the Hamster isn't a fair reference and it might influence my view a little to negative since most of the figures do have the strong BB pose with less skinny legs and an unstable standing look.

But I guess like me most people will make their final judgement the moment they actually get their first BS in hand because all these previews and opinions based on pics and rumors are only worth something if they are confirmed by the review. Let's hope the real deal will blow all of us away and they become so convincing we'll all go for the full collection!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#69 Coelocanth

Coelocanth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Taking a look at the pictures again, it looks like the plunger might actually have their individual emblems on them (vs. the promo figures that are just clear). If you look at this picture, the plungers are translucent while the dice beside the figures are opaque.

It could just be the way the image is rendered, but it does now seem like a big oversight by a very experienced toy company to either have the figures look bad w/o dice or have a plunger hanging out of their backs w/ the dice. Plus, this way the figures can still look cool if the owner loses the die (which is likely given the size and that little kids will play with them).

#70 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

Wahou. You're right. I never noticed that. If you look at all the official pictures from the site it seems that plunger have the beast symbol printed on it.

#71 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

Taking a look at the pictures again, it looks like the plunger might actually have their individual emblems on them (vs. the promo figures that are just clear). If you look at this picture, the plungers are translucent while the dice beside the figures are opaque.

It could just be the way the image is rendered, but it does now seem like a big oversight by a very experienced toy company to either have the figures look bad w/o dice or have a plunger hanging out of their backs w/ the dice. Plus, this way the figures can still look cool if the owner loses the die (which is likely given the size and that little kids will play with them).

That's very perceptive, the thing is the main image on http://www.takaratom...ucts/beastsaga/ shows with the exception of the Lion, Shark and Eagle, the other beasts in the background appear to have clear non-animal symbols just like the promos. They look as if the plunger is push into them without there dice. So I'm still no sure of anything right now about this :confused:
Spoiler
-Walter Benjamin

#72 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:59 PM

The main image is a older image than the ones showing the products. If you look at the products images they show everything included in each set. So I guess Coelocanth is right about the plunger. Or Takara pic of final products don't show real final products.

#73 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

The main image is a older image than the ones showing the products. If you look at the products images they show everything included in each set. So I guess Coelocanth is right about the plunger. Or Takara pic of final products don't show real final products.

I'm not so sure, if you look at this pic: http://www.takaratom...box/bs01_01.jpg

It shows the Hamster's plunger in the back as if the dice are in fact loaded into the figures, you just can't see it with the rest of the beasts because they are bigger.
Spoiler
-Walter Benjamin

#74 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:21 AM

I'm pretty sure the animal emblem isn't engraved in the plunger for two reasons.
First it wouldn't make sense looking at the 'money-saving' solutions of Takara so far and secondly the transparent part that's seen with the Hamster promo figure is just the clear (unstickered dice).

It looks like the animal emblems are part of their invidivual dice (with or without stickers) and when throwing its own emblem you might have an extra or special option within the game (haven't looked into the game that much yet).

These plungers are just mass produced and it would cost them a lot of extra effort/money to personalize them printing/adding the individual figure emblem to it, and knowing it'll be on the dice anyway there's no need to do that.

When it comes to the Hamster and the plunger its more visible compared to other figs because he's more slim than the other more fat beasts in which the plunger will look more merged.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#75 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:09 AM

We're talking about Takara Tomy here. The third or fourth biggest toy company in the world. We're talking about a company that can produce thousands figures just for promotion, that can print hundreds of thousand 50 pages magazines to give them to kids for free. So if Takara could not produced specific plunger for each figure then nobody could. I'm sure that like Coelocanth said we will have such a feature on every beast. A little more than 3 weeks to wait and we will know for sure anyway.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com