108 replies to this topic

#101 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:19 AM

Finally Direct TV got Versus back on air, just in time for last nights free UFC event. They showed five fights, none went the distance. I haven't been following mma as much lately but that Jon Jones kid is sick, I hope to see more of him.

#102 nemesisbonga

nemesisbonga

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Tattooing, Art (usually printmaking or illustration) and Music (mostly classic rock and blues). BB/LB, Madballs, Deadpool and anything done by Sam Kieth or Amanda Conner. And tikis, almost forgot about the tikis haha.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:55 AM

Last night's fights were live, before the premier episode of this seasons ultimater fighter. They were pretty good. I cant believe that Gomi didnt put up more of a fight. Big country knocked that skyscraper guy out, just goes to show that height and reach aren't everything. It was also cool to see Riveria back, he picked Quarry apart. Anyone still watch this stuff? Hope i didnt ruin any of the results for ya, but more then likely if you didnt watch it, you still know the outcomes.
"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water"--Loren Eiseley

#103 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:03 AM

I watched last nite as well. Pretty fun night of fights! Actually, a lot more fun than the PPV last weekend. :D

Yeah, Roy Nelson is "no joke" as Joe is fond of saying. Remember, the HW weight limit is 263 which he is, so he can easily take on Lesnar, Carwin, Vesquez, etc. The question is, would Dana allow him to?

As for Gomi, he probably had some ring rust from the long layoff and the usual first time Octagon jitters. I felt bad for Nate, but he's just too slow.

For me, right now, the most exciting upcoming match-ups are in the HW division. What a change from the last couple years, huh? Can you imagine if Fedor would ever join the UFC ranks?
Posted Image

#104 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

My favorite fighter is Matt Hughes. My favorite fight is the second match between him and BJ Penn. To me that is a perfect example of never give up on yourself. BJ Penn had Matt Hughes in a chock for at least a minute, maybe more in the second round. BJ couldn't get Matt to tap, bell ended second round, Matt crushed BJ in the third round.

Going to be an excellent fight on 3 July between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin. Both at 265 and NCAA Division I champions. This will be their first time ever facing each other.

Edited by vette88, 01 April 2010 - 09:14 AM.

#105 1313

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:Series 1 MIMP, Trash Bag Bunch, Vintage StarWars, Batman, Ghostbusters, Bootlegs, Obscure toys, Movie figures, Horror, 80's/90's toys, MMA, Rock/Metal, original film posters/promo's, Book Collecting, DVD/Blu collecting.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

SWEET! Didn't know there was an MMA thread on here! It's the only sport i follow & train in. One of the guys who coaches me (when i do turn up, lol) is fighting on the next UFC event too.
I stayed up for last nights fights. Well pleased with Pearson & gutted at the state of Gomi. :D

#106 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:05 AM

@ MrJ - Yes, along with the HWs, I'm excited about all Jones' upcoming matchups!

@ Vette - When I first got into MMA, Hughes was one of my favs too. ONe of the first MMA fights I ever saw was Hughes Vs. Trigg where Trigg hit Hughes in the balls, and HUghes went on to win. However, Hughes has been fading quickly. He used to rely so much on his brute strength and now that it is waning, he's having trouble with these young bucks. Should be a good fight with him and Gracie.
Posted Image

#107 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:20 AM

Yup, unfortunately Matt Hughes hasn't had much luck lately. In the Trigg fight you mention, I like the part when Hughes does regroup after the kick to the groin, picks Trigg up and puts him on his shoulder, and finally slams Trigg. Wow. GSP and Silvia have been unbeatable lately.

#108 1313

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:Series 1 MIMP, Trash Bag Bunch, Vintage StarWars, Batman, Ghostbusters, Bootlegs, Obscure toys, Movie figures, Horror, 80's/90's toys, MMA, Rock/Metal, original film posters/promo's, Book Collecting, DVD/Blu collecting.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hughes was great but he never evolved as a fighter. He's from the old breed who were dominant in one aspect (wrestling) & apt at the others. Now everyone cross trains the second they start MMA & are therefore more well rounded.

#109 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:04 PM

For me, right now, the most exciting upcoming match-ups are in the HW division. What a change from the last couple years, huh? Can you imagine if Fedor would ever join the UFC ranks?

No doubt, this time last year I was making a point to watch WEC and catching UFC on nights I didn't have anyhing better to do or got invited over to somebodys house to watch a ppv. Now though there are enough guys in UFC I like enough I hate and a few with some big fight potential (as you said especially in the HW division),

Thats why I woke this thread from its slumber there are some exiting things happening in MMA.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com