50 replies to this topic

#1 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1853 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

As all of you know by now I'm not that eager about putting a Variant Stamp onto every shade difference or any other doubtfull reason to make a figure more rare than it actually is, but here is something special I'd like to share.

In Nov./Dec. last year I was contacted by a Spanish BB collector for some BB and he mentioned me he had an odd looking Bison within his collection but he was busy and promissed me to forward me some pics of it later. A few months had passed and I had actually already forgotten about it when I received an email from Spain with the following pictures in it.

Attached File  DSCF4702.JPG   203.66K   153 downloadsAttached File  DSCF4703.JPG   196.89K   158 downloads

Yes there it was a BLUE BISON! Of course I know how good the quality of custom figs can be so I took a close look at these pics and since its skin is also from a completely different color it could be something interesting indeed. BUT to be sure I contacted one of my BB friends known for his massive collection (JPac) to discuss this with him and to hear about his thoughts on this one. Based on the overall skin color and the color of blue we both agreed that its a variant because even the areas were the blue paint is a little damaged the same skin color appeared. Althought we both knew all odd looking figs within the original promotion BB poster must have been destroyed (like the Skunk, and Black Tapir with other colors) we had the idea this could've been the original Takara prototype similar to those who've never been released as such.

We both agreed it was worth it to go after this fig and to give him a closer look. But this was easier sad than done since, as with sending the picture, the Spanish collector wasn't very quick in replying my mails. After hearing him out about the origin of this fig it turned out that he got it years ago within a big lot from the US. I made him an offer but he rejected it as he tought it was to low, this went on and on and in the end I decided to make him a much better offer and we could agree on it. Again a few months later...... At the end of May I finally got some payment details since I couldn't pay him with Paypal, long story but in the end this resulted in more delay.

TILL TODAY because I just got the figure in the mail a Blue Bloodthirsthy Bison!

Attached File  Blue Bison.JPG   238.64K   91 downloads

So to all you PRO-VARIANT people out there I'd like to say this is what I call a variant :)

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#2 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

That is an awesome find!

I had a Slag King one time that was a very different shade. I can't remember who he went to. Nothing as extreme as your Bison though. Very unique!!!!

#3 Onyxiaphil

Onyxiaphil

Starcaller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Transformers
    Battle Beasts
    Armorvors
    Nintendo
    Everything custom
    Poutine & Bacon

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

That is quite the difference! Good find :good:

#4 Edrixx

Edrixx

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

Wow, that is baller. How much did you pay;)

How do we know that this isn't a Spanish version...similar to the off color bear or deer?

#5 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

How do we know that this isn't a Spanish version...similar to the off color bear or deer?

Those are the Bestias de Combate (BDC) figs, which of course was the line I looked at first when I received the first pictures, but it soon became clear this wasn't part of this line as the Bestias de Combate Bison does have a different shade than the original one as well but nothing close to this. Of course Jonny was there to back me up on that one as well since he is quite into the BDC.

Wow, that is baller. How much did you pay;)

Since the Spanish guy didn't really knew what he had and neither did I in the beginning I made him some low offers similar to the price of a mint normal Bison but that clearly wasn't enough :) Eventually my offer 25 euro did the job.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#6 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, Fake Battle Beasts, Custom Battle beasts.
    BATTLE BEASTS ROCK AND SO DO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

Wow really cool varient for exsample 100% differant colours then the normal ones thats what makes him so cool and as nobody has seen one of these befor also very rare.

I think hes a major cool find and he would look great in my varient collection lol.

However a varient comes in many styles some just a little change others a huge change like the one you have there.

But if its not a custom change.
Or sun damaged change.
But looks differant from the normal amount there Then in my eyes is a varient.

Great find mate. Jay

#7 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, Fake Battle Beasts, Custom Battle beasts.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

That is an awesome find!

I had a Slag King one time that was a very different shade. I can't remember who he went to. Nothing as extreme as your Bison though. Very unique!!!!

Hey man im the one with the rare slag king varient now hes cool. His skin is a very light grey instead of a dark grey.

#8 TOPHER

TOPHER

Chit Happens.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Interests:My Recording Studio, Video Games, Shelby Cobras, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle/Laser/Greek Beasts, MIMP+WIMP, Remco Mini Mashers, Figurines holding any kind of musical instrument, Weird Ball Wrestlers......

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

Nice find.
Yep definately a Rare variant.
Worth at least $350 for sure.

'On Sale' or 'For Sale'. It's really the same thing! The word, 'Sale' means YOU CAN BUY IT,
not that it is discounted. We as consumers are conditioned to think"On Sale"means it's cheaper.
Posted Image

#9 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Nice find.

$350? Where did you pull that number out of? o.O
What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#10 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Ha ha yea $350? Not sure about that one lol.

#11 TOPHER

TOPHER

Chit Happens.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Interests:My Recording Studio, Video Games, Shelby Cobras, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle/Laser/Greek Beasts, MIMP+WIMP, Remco Mini Mashers, Figurines holding any kind of musical instrument, Weird Ball Wrestlers......

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

I don't think Geert would refuse my offer,maybe I think...
unless someone offers more for it. :lol:

'On Sale' or 'For Sale'. It's really the same thing! The word, 'Sale' means YOU CAN BUY IT,
not that it is discounted. We as consumers are conditioned to think"On Sale"means it's cheaper.
Posted Image

#12 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

Are you actually offering him $350? I'm sure he would take that. J

#13 trumanshower

trumanshower

Eternal Truman of the spotless mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • Interests:dragonautes, monster in my pocket, fistful of power, motu, cosmix, luxioles etc etc...

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

sorry for my scepticism, but for me it's not a variant, but a sun damaged or a custom discoloration.

French collector of Battle Beasts, Monster in my pocket and a bunch of other toys !!
FoP facebook page : https://www.facebook.../fistfulofpower

Boogaz facebook group : https://www.facebook...810983082984202

#14 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

sorry for my scepticism, but for me it's not a variant, but a sun damaged or a custom discoloration.

Hey man i dont think it can be like he said the bit of blue paint chipped off and the color of the skin under that is the same color as the rest of his skin.

I am allways pro Varients but i think this is the real deal mate. Jay

#15 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

I'm with Truman. My children has a Gormiti that he left in the swiming pool for days. WHen he get it back it was discolored in the same way the Bison is. I will try to take a pic later this day.

#16 Onyxiaphil

Onyxiaphil

Starcaller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
    Battle Beasts
    Armorvors
    Nintendo
    Everything custom
    Poutine & Bacon

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

I'm with Truman. My children has a Gormiti that he left in the swiming pool for days. WHen he get it back it was discolored in the same way the Bison is. I will try to take a pic later this day.

I've got a spare Bison with chewed up parts I found at a garage sale. I'm going to test this out. :teehee:

**edit Took water from the pool. I'll let it sit there for a few days and see if there is any change.

Posted Image

Edited by Onyxiaphil, 23 June 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#17 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

It's all for science ^^

To be complete I have to add that my pool was a chlorine pool. Maybe chlorine will affect the plastic in combo with the sun.

#18 Onyxiaphil

Onyxiaphil

Starcaller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
    Battle Beasts
    Armorvors
    Nintendo
    Everything custom
    Poutine & Bacon

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

It's all for science ^^

To be complete I have to add that my pool was a chlorine pool. Maybe chlorine will affect the plastic in combo with the sun.

There is chlorine in the pool. I added a little in the bucket also. I will leave it out in the sun for a few days and see if there is any change.

#19 TOPHER

TOPHER

Chit Happens.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

All in the name of science :lol:
But sun damage can take many months,
chemicals can take weeks.
mixture of sun + chemicls = ??
If ya put the figure in a glass bowl/bucket
it will catch more of the suns rays.
The experiment has begun,make it so. :)

Edited by TOPHER, 23 June 2012 - 12:38 PM.

Posted Image

#20 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

Easy way to tell. Pull the arms out of the socket. If they match the outside, it is not a fading issue.

#21 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

Nice find.

LOL

Great, thanks for all the reactions and replies on this one.
Jonny and I reacted like most of you did jumping from out chair and expecting it to be a true rare variant.
And based on the pics and the way it looks there didn't seem to be much wrong with it.

BUT the story wasn't finished yet.............

TILL TODAY because I just got the figure in the mail a Blue Bloodthirsthy Bison!

I told Jonny the first thing I'd do when I would get this fig is to pull out its arms since that's the only way this feeling could be verified as confirmed or busted. So the result of the test would be an easy one as Jon mentioned

Easy way to tell. Pull the arms out of the socket. If they match the outside, it is not a fading issue.

After waiting months to get this figure in my hands I now had the chance to do the ultimate test, and this was what happened;

Attached File  Blue Bison Fail.JPG   246.86K   72 downloadsAttached File  Blue Bison Fail 1.JPG   278.21K   85 downloads

All this magic and mystery that was present around this fig GONE WITHIN A SEC.....................

I still wonder what has happened with it as it IS somekind of discoloration, although his armor might have been really well painted its skin color is clearly a result of discoloration. But I exclude the influence of sunlight as even in the tightest parts and bellow its feet it has the same skin color, except the hole for its arm and the extended piece of the arm that has to pop in the body again............ To me that is still a mystery, could a microwave do something like that with a figure? I doubt hot water as than it would've affected the inner part as well. Any idea/thoughts!?

As you can see I've opened a serious topic about it showing (in first instance) its a new VARIANT FIGURE to see the reactions of those people who think they've found a variant with every little shade difference they find, which in my opinion is insane because than almost every fig would be a variant. But I think this is a wise (and for me expensive lesson) to learn seeing what discoloration is able to do with a fig, because its clear this Bison has been exposed to I don't know what kind of force but it is changed radically. Even in such a way that even most of us believed it was something special.

Eventhough I hoped the Fig really was something special its a good thing I can make a statement with it now revealing the true story behind it hoping to get those Pro-Variant people back to earth again. :)

But it still is a cool figure to me especially knowing how much effort I had to do to get it overhere resulting in the fact that I have payed 25 euro for a completely discolored Bison fig which I can get MINT for five times less LOL Due to all this he has really earned his place within my collection. But if someone still would be willing to offer me $350 I'll consider to let it go :)

Attached File  Bisons.JPG   212.8K   60 downloads

It was fun reading all your replies and good to see that near the end the issue of discoloration came up because that's actually the case here, but how and from what did this Bison get this color?!

Hope its a wise lesson seeing that discoloration can do a LOT with the color of a figure so I hope to gain a bid more followers when it comes to my critical view on 'variants'

ps. For the people who didn't believe this post was a set up, I've contacted Jonny (Jpac) with a PM about the Blue Bison Fail right after the opening this Topic and most of the text in it is copied for you above. Thnx for the fun! ;)

Edited by GJNL, 23 June 2012 - 02:12 PM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#22 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

Bummer, must have spent some time in a tanning bed.

Edited by Rubberhammer, 23 June 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#23 Onyxiaphil

Onyxiaphil

Starcaller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
    Battle Beasts
    Armorvors
    Nintendo
    Everything custom
    Poutine & Bacon

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

I'm still curious how mine will turn out with sun+chemicals

#24 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

I couldn't figure it out because if it would've been water with chlorine in it it would've affected the inner parts as well since the water should easily get there as well...............

BTW don't see this topic as a trigger to start messing up your original figs with chemicals or other scientific tests since that would result in the opposite of what I wanted to achieve with this topic :)

Edited by GJNL, 23 June 2012 - 02:25 PM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#25 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

Oh bummer that's a shame. Oh well keep hunting guys. J

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com