• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts - Laser Beasts - Beast Saga - Nintendo - Photography - Travel - Scuba Diving - Football

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

Hi guys!

I recently got a hold of a Brain Mouse figure via a local auction and didn't think much more about it. Just put in a bid for the fun of it. Anyways I won the auction and got the figure today. Upon closer inspection it seems to be a variant(?) of the Brain Mouse figure. As seen on the pictures below the figure is without the green details on the armour but has the green eyes. Probably it's just a paint error from the factory. It looks like the green paint has never been applied to the armour. I spent a while now trying to find more information about it or if i could find any others but I haven't yet. So whats your input in this?

Attached File  thumb_IMG_3209_1024.jpg   102.79K   7 downloads

Variant on left side.

Attached File  thumb_IMG_3210_1024.jpg   92.29K   10 downloads

Variant on left side.

Attached File  thumb_IMG_3212_1024.jpg   187.06K   5 downloads

Variant marked 88B and the Hasbro and Takara stamp.

The pictures might not be the best but I can take more if needed.

Cheers!

#2 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:10 PM

Very cool!

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#3 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:12 PM

That is very amazing!  Congrats on such a fantastic find!

#4 Shadow Bat

Shadow Bat

Serious Collector

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:20 PM

Hi guys!

I recently got a hold of a Brain Mouse figure via a local auction and didn't think much more about it. Just put in a bid for the fun of it. Anyways I won the auction and got the figure today. Upon closer inspection it seems to be a variant(?) of the Brain Mouse figure. As seen on the pictures below the figure is without the green details on the armour but has the green eyes. Probably it's just a paint error from the factory. It looks like the green paint has never been applied to the armour. I spent a while now trying to find more information about it or if i could find any others but I haven't yet. So whats your input in this?

I'm thinking factory error, and a very cool one. I have a bat with green eyes and a green hook who has his vents and crotch unpainted.

while I would say it's less common than some smaller errors it's still an error.

great find

#5 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:12 PM

Yep, this is a nice example of a factory error, clearly showing a missed paint app on some of the smaller details.

Figs like these are pretty unique because the quality check within the factory was supposed to be pretty strict so not a lot of figs like these made it outside the factory and the ones that did are often find back amongst real collectors. The Black Face Gorilla is probably one of the most common known unique Factory Error figs (who´s often, by mistake, thought to be a variant). A small error in the factory caused this fig to be unique in its kind and thus a true Factory Error, congrats!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#6 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts - Laser Beasts - Beast Saga - Nintendo - Photography - Travel - Scuba Diving - Football

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:35 AM

Thanks. As I suspected as well a factory error then and a pretty cool one I think. These finds are whats so great about collecting these figures, small differences that maybe don't show at first glance but then you notice it. Really cool. I suppose it might be as you wrote to me on IG @Beastformers that this was a early monday morning och late friday afternoon in the factory. :)

#7 mca19

mca19

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Mainly Battle Beasts/Laser Beasts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:02 AM

Yep factory error and as others have mentioned, a solid one at that.  I am sure he is worth quite a bit more than your basic mouse at this point.  Hardcore collectors seem to love errors.  Great find, amazing to see new additions and errors after all these years.  

#8 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:47 PM

Yeah really cool to be able to find new and unseen stuff this long after the production got stopped. Makes you wonder what else might be out there to find...! Happy that I can share this find here with you guys that appreciate it and I'm sure we have more that still remains to be discovered.

#9 laserbeast

laserbeast

Beyond Budding

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:54 AM

Nice find, there are a few other variations like that with some of the more common figures, hence the labeling of #A and #B, just moved and have no idea where my list is at otherwise I could be more helpful lol

#10 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:25 AM

Okay, would be nice to see what variations you have in your collection. Maybe you can share some of them when you've finished with the moving. I was under the impression that the labelling of A/B/C on the beasts was related to what mold was used when they where casted. But do you mean that it is a connection between the labelling and if it is a variation or not? 

#11 laserbeast

laserbeast

Beyond Budding

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:31 PM

Okay, would be nice to see what variations you have in your collection. Maybe you can share some of them when you've finished with the moving. I was under the impression that the labelling of A/B/C on the beasts was related to what mold was used when they where casted. But do you mean that it is a connection between the labelling and if it is a variation or not? 

From what I have read, yes the mold labeling is correct but the different molds can also have slight color variations..not on all but I know I have 3 figures in particular including Brain Mouse that are like that, and I wrote all this down so I wouldn't have to remember, its been years (probably 10+) since going through all mine, all the boxes were bubble wrapped and packed away and onward to the next collection so I could be mistaken, just going off of what i sort of remember.

#12 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:57 AM

Interesting, so on some figures there might be a link between the mold marking and slight variations in colour then. Might have to dig a little deeper in my own collection to see if I can find some figures that this applies to. Thanks.

#13 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:52 AM

The mold markings have, in general, nothing to do with errors like this factory error because as it says this was an error which could literally have happened on every figure regardless the mold marking. It is unclear whether or not if with the change of molds there was a certain period in between production or whether one mold broke down (A) and it was directly replaced by the other mold (B). In case there might´ve a certain period in between the production it´d make sense that there might be slight color differences but lets not forget that most of the variants etc. we´re discussing here more relate to the paint rather than the molds because all beasts were casted in their own skin tone meaning that the color of the armor and the details, that what creates the differences or variants, are actually caused by the paint so there is no direct relation between the different molds and the variants in paint simply because of the fact that the paint was applied over the skin color of the figure in which it was casted. Of course there are a few exceptions because with the Orange Plastic Turtle the figure was casted in the Orange color of the armor instead of the skin color. The pics of the LB Testshots that´ve recently been brought to attention again perfectly show the monotone base color of the several Beasts.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#14 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for clarifying some stuff there Beastformers. I actually found a orange plastic turtle and a walrus with unpainted tusks in the same period as I found the brain mouse.

#15 traderluke

traderluke

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:26 PM

Attached File  Mice 1.jpg   35.29K   6 downloadsAttached File  Mice 2.jpg   39.15K   7 downloads

I also have what is probably a factory painting error with the Brain Mouse.  I have one with unpainted eyes.  I did notice that the head also seems a little shorter in length from side to side, but that may just be my looking too hard for other differences. 

#16 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:12 AM

Cool! That’s most likely another factory error yes. From the pictures the head actually look a bit different on them. But maybe that’s due to the perspective of the pictures and/or that the eyes are missing paint. Congrats on getting a cool piece!

#17 traderluke

traderluke

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.  It's interesting to get another opinion.  The head size/shape issue is more than just the perspective, I think, because I noticed it before taking the photos.  However, maybe it's a small enough difference that it could be considered normal variation.  The holes in the back of the beast (where the light shines through to the front) are also different in size, and that appears to be true on yours as well.

Edited by traderluke, 02 November 2018 - 01:56 AM.

#18 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:33 AM

Did you compare the letter underneath the feet as well? Big chance they're from another mold causing the slight changes in the sculpt. The missing paint is a factor error.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#19 traderluke

traderluke

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

Just checked and after I saw your message, I was expecting to see that they were different molding stamps too, but both say 88B. Is the Brain Mouse made differently than some of the others though? His armor seems like it is a hard plastic. Perhaps that portion is the same, but the other is different?

I also noticed that the ears are significantly different in size.

Attached Files

Edited by traderluke, 04 November 2018 - 03:42 PM.

#20 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:59 PM

Yes the ears do look different. Cool and congrats on a nice one of a kind figure.

#21 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:32 AM

Interesting. Could you share a pic of the bottom of the feet and the backside as well and tell us what you know about the origin of this figure?

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#22 Cybrasty

Cybrasty

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:00 AM

I am not an expert by any means, but it is not unheard of that companies will use different fulfillment centers or parts to finish a project (I am basing this mainly on micro computer market in 80s and 90s from companies like Commodore and Atari). A lot of this stuff was undocumented and has been discovered by fans decades later.

So it is possible this figure is just using a later/earlier part for the head, one that might use a different material and is maybe more prone to shrinking, which would be more visible on thinner parts like the ears. It would be cool if we had a bigger sample of photos to compare and see how common this part is.

#23 traderluke

traderluke

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for all of the replies about this. Here are the other photos. Smallears is on the right in both photos. The origin, for me, is simply that I bought it on ebay from Molleking about a month ago. I talked to him about it afterward, and he just hadn’t noticed. Beyond that, ???
Attached File  86F9CB37-5FEB-4BAD-80B3-A2E7F05AAAA4.jpeg   35.34K   6 downloadsAttached File  0E2A32E6-CEA0-428F-A0E4-7BE343080E9B.jpeg   42.25K   5 downloads

Edited by traderluke, 05 November 2018 - 06:17 PM.

#24 traderluke

traderluke

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:45 PM

Just found out that it was bot3ro’s before Molleking. So you (bot3ro) had two Brain Mouses (Mice?) with irregularities!

It would be funny to learn that you’ve all owned this one at one time.

#25 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:03 AM

Haha! Didn’t even know mate! Sometimes these subtle differences just disappears.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com