9 replies to this topic

#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

azog-defiler.png?w=470

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is different from the original book...

...Just like Frankenstein, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Snow White, Jaws, First Blood, Sleeping Beauty, Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast, the other thirty-odd Disney animated movies, Jurassic Park, The Princess Bride, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Shining, The Thing, The Maltese Falcon, Kiss Me Deadly, The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, Dune, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Tarzan, Jude the Obscure, John Carter of Mars, Jakob the Liar, All the Harry Potters, The Silence of the Lambs, The Shining, Fight Club, Goodfellas, The Godfather, every Sherlock Holmes adaptation, World War Z, I Am Legend, The Clan of the Cave Bear, Coraline, Stardust, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Matilda, The Da Vinci Code, James and the Giant Peach, The Chronicles of Narnia, Blade Runner, Life of Pi, The Men Who Stare At Goats, Perfume, The Postman, The Joy Luck CLub, Fried Green Tomatoes, The Princess Diaries, Patriot Games, Wag the Dog, Charlotte's Web, A Christmas Carol, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, 1984, War of the Worlds, The Color Purple, Lord of the Flies, Stand By Me, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Die Hard, 30 Days of Night, Starship Troopers, Eragon, The Great Escape, Ichi The Killer, all of the BBC adaptions of the Richard Sharpe novels, The Name of the Rose, Where the Wild Things Are, M*A*S*H, Enemy at the Gate, The Hunt for Red October, A Clear and Present Danger, Conan the Barbarian, Howl's Moving Castle, Scarface... and so on. The issue isn't really whether or not the movie is accurate, it's whether it is a good movie in and of itself. I really liked it, but I'm fine if you didn't because it's just a movie, and not something worth murdering one another over. But if you disagree with me, I will murder you.

azog-ready.png?w=470

Anyway, one of the major differences between book and movie was Azog the Defiler. See, in the book, Azog had died in that flashback battle. Bilbo and the Dwarveswere not constantly pursued by a band of orcs. And at the very end of the story, Azog's son, Bolg, appeared to lead the goblin army in the Battle of the Five Armies. In the movie, they kept Azog alive and added the pursuing orcs to give a little more coherence to the narrative. Bolg is also present starting with the second movie. Personally, I was fine with it, and this is not the place to talk film merits. What a lot of peopel do not know is that Azog was one of the very last special effects done for the film. Originally, he was a man in a suit, but he did not seem intimidating enough, so they swapped him out for the giant one-armed CGI albino at the very last minute. They reused Azog's old design for "Yazneg," the orc with feathery shoulder pads who chases the dwarves on wargback at one point. Something similar happened to Bolg, whose design changed dramatically between the release of his action figure and his actual film appearance. The issue with Azog's design meant that he couldn't get any real merchandise before the first movie, at least not until the middle of last July.

azog-taunt.png?w=470

Azog the Defiler first got an action figure as a 2013 San Diego Comic-Con exclusive, which retailed for $50. I was tempted, but didn't plunk down the cash for it. A regular release came out in time for the movie, with fewer accessories. This review will compare them both, but only a little bit because since I do not have the exclusive in front of me.

azog-packaged.png?w=470

PACKAGING: ***1/2

Azog comes tied into a blister pack, with some basic imagery from the movies, a listing of figures on the back, and a pretty good figure of the toy. It's got nothing on his impressive SDCC packaging, but that really does not matter much in this context.

azog.png?w=470

SCULPT: **1/2

On a technical level, Azog's sculpt is fine. Nothing looks inaccurate his face i the right shape, and his skin has a measure of texturing to keep it from looking "toy-ish." But in spite of that, everything seems soft and under-detailed. He's sort of like an impressionistic painting, where everything looks great from a distance, but not so good up close.

azog-face.png?w=470

The face is a perfect example of this. Technically it is Azog, from the shape of his nose to his high cheekbones to the ritual scars over his mouth and cheeks. It is easily the best part of this figure. And yet, his expression is calm, serene, and quite un-Azoglike. Every time you see this guy in the movies, he is grinning, snarling, roaring, scowling, or doing something - even at his most neutral, he at least looks thoughtful. This is the calmest orc mass-murderer ever. He's very Zen.

azog-claw.png?w=470

As for the rest of the body, credit is due for the skin texturing, but Azog's musculature seems less-prominent than in the actual movie. His scars are all present, but the lines look shallow and simple, not like markings he carved into his own flesh.  The comic-con Azog had interchangeable hands - the right could swap for one holding Dwarven King Thror's head, while the left forearm traded for his prosthetic metal claw. This figure just comes with a basic right hand and claw on the left arm. And, much like in the film, you can see how he had it put in - he jammed the thing into his stump so hard that it's sticking out of his elbow! Between this and the scars, I'd say that Azog has a thing for pain, but he did look pretty unhappy when he first lost his arm. The claw looks good, and is strong enough to hold a toy up by the chin - nice detail!

azog-loincloth.png?w=470

Azog's loincloth is leather, and appears to be made of dwarf faces. That's grim! The faces are very faded and a little hard to make out, but clearly there. You can also see some extra metal bands that he nailed to his torso, because apparently nothing is worth doing if it doesn't involve self-mutilation. Topping off the whole ensemble are his boots, with some Mordor-esque layers of metal plating, and pointy toes.

azog-back.png?w=470

PAINT: ***

Azog's paint is pretty functional and serviceable. His skin is a grayish shade of off-white, painted rather than sculpted. He looks like he's wearing heavy makeup, which would have been the case had it been an actor and not a CGI model. His scars are all painted, though the pink lines do not always line up with the marks on his sculpt. His eyes are particularly good, as the only detail with more than one paint app.

azog-lift-club.png?w=470

Azog's clothing is all brown. This fits the leather, though it also contributes to his loincloth looking sloppy and soft. What's more, the metal bands nailed to his torso are painted the same brown as his leather loincloth. This odd, especially because he has some metallic apps on his costume.  Azog's claw is appropriately metal, and some of the coloring has bled onto the skin of his arm. This is a nice little touch, showing the horrible effects that this kind of thing would have on someone's flesh - though how long has he had that claw? I think that if anything was going to rot, it would have done so along time ago.

azog-vsbarbarian01.png?w=470

ARTICULATION: **

Azog has a ball-jointed head and ankles, ball-and-socket shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees, and a swivel wrist and waist. Technically, it is sufficient articulation for almost any pose. However, in practice...

azog-vsbarbarian02.png?w=470

...Notice how you never see Azog with his knees bent? This is because his skirt totally eliminates his leg articulation! You can spread his legs out a little bit, but they will likely spring back into place. Bending his knees doesn't work if he has no movement at the hips, either, so you have an orc warlord who fights while casually standing straight up. His head may be a ball joint, but it has less range of movement than many figures with full hairdos, and might as well be a swivel.

azog-taunt.png?w=470

The movement that his arms have is also hampered - he cannot reach over his torso very well, so your options for swinging his club are pretty limited. He can hold an enemy up with his claw, though, so that at least is good. And finally, this may only be an issue with my Azog and not others, but mine has an extremely loose right hand. It takes work to pose him with his club without the club just swinging down. All of this is really goo bad, as you have a figure with articulation who honestly cannot use it. He might as well be a Todd McFarlane Statue for all he can move.

azog-club.png?w=470

ACCESSORIES: **1/2

SDCC-Exclusive Azog came with a lot of accessories: Swappable regular and prosthetic left forearms, an extra right hand with Thror's head, two swords, and a mace. Regular Azog only comes with the mace. I am glad that he has it, because it's the weapon he uses most in the films, but it really feels lacking. Still, I suppose they had to make it different from the exclusive somehow, and he does have his most important weapon

azog-vsbarbarian03.png?w=470

VALUE: Exclusive: **, Regular: ****

Regular Azog's price varies. While Amazon has him for thirty freaking dollars, Toys R Us has him for $16, and I paid $10 for mine on eBay. Considering what you get, this price is just fine - it's as if they looked at the problems with the figure and gave us all a break. For comparison's sake, the SDCC exclusive was $40. And that is an awful price.azog-vsbarbarian04.png?w=470

THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR:

Watch Azog's right wrist, and make sure that his scar paint is lined up well. But other than that, this figure has no quality control problems.

azog-wins.png?w=470

WHERE TO BUY:

Toys R Us sells them for fairly cheap - I got mine at a discount from TRU's eBay store, in fact!

azog-skull.png?w=470

OVERALL: **1/2

Despite some high points, Azog the Defiler is kind of a disappointment. His sculpt is soft, his paint is minimal, he only has one accessory, and he can barely move. The comic-con exclusive comes with more pieces, but still has all of the other problems. The legs especially are disappointing, because they cut out almost any pay or display value that the figure has. Still, it does look nice at first glance, and you can sneak him into a Lord of the Rings display if you feel like it. But this is an average toy released in a year of greats, and it seems lacking.

azog-predator.png?w=470

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

As a Tolkien nerd I approve of this review, and this sculpt (even though his storyline is greatly embellished in the films. )

I have all of the first wave of 3.75" scale Hobbit figures, and I was very disappointed by Bridge Direct with the second wave, which only released a single new figure at that scale, in a five-pack with four re-releases. I was thrilled though to see Azog at TRU but I don't want to buy the 6" figures since they won't match the 3.75" figs. Would love the SDCC version that comes with Thror's head but it's a bit too pricey for me.

I did find out that for some reason, they released Radagast and Azog in the smaller scale in the UK (as well as a re-release of the invisible Bilbo from SDCC '12) so looks like I need to do some coordinating with a UK member or two ;)

Edited by bachamn, 27 December 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#3 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

They did make a smaller-scale Azog?  Good!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Yep! But if I understand correctly they didn't get the 6" versions of the same figs in the UK. Such wonky distribution. I think there is an entirely different company handling the line in Europe, which I'm sure doesn't help. 

http://www.amazon.co...88165468&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co...88165616&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co...88165616&sr=8-3

#5 waaaaghlord

waaaaghlord

C.UT.I.E. Owners Club Founder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

I'll check what Home Bargains have got next time I'm out shopping. It's Radagast and Azog in 3.75" that you guys would be interested in?

soundwave wrote "don't insult my bananna!!!!!!!!!"

#6 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:09 AM

Azog and Radagast are new 3.75" figures in Desolation of Smaug packaging, I'd be surprised if they'd hit clearance yet.

I did notice that a lot of the figures in DOS packaging are identical to those from AUJ, which seems utterly redundant, but not these two; these are new so far as I can gather.

I hadn't seen that invisible Bilbo before, I must get that.

This is what I have from the 3.75" scale, can anyone who knows better tell me if I'm missing any other characters?

2x packs: Kili & Fili, Legolas & Tauriel, Balin & Dwalin, Bilbo & Gollum

3x pack: Fimbul, Grinnah & Bolg
1x pack: Gandalf

Fimbul & Warg

Thorin & Goblin King

<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#7 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:47 AM

Interesting to hear about the 3-pack, that one I wasn't aware of previously. In the US, we got a 2-pack with 'battle damaged' Gandlaf vs "Bolg" (or what was considered Bolg at that time of release), Grinnah was a single pack, as well as a Thorin, Legolas, and Bilbo though there was also the Bilbo/Gollum and Thorin/Goblin King (which is my favorite release at this time by far). There was also a "heroes pack" released with four dwarves and Bilbo but again, all duplicate releases so pointless, and a Yazneg figure that was released in the UK that we never got over here at all, but I think he's in 6" scale only I think.

I think the best bet for finding them at decent price would be Amazon, or just to wait a little bit till they go on sale. I know the first wave of figures didn't do as well as they'd hoped and I saw them on sale everywhere over here last spring and summer. If anyone does decide to go that route and is in a position to help me out, please let me know as I'd like to pick up one of each of those three figures I linked to above. I'll send you money. :)

Edited by bachamn, 28 December 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#8 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:TMNT, m.u.s.c.l.e., GPK's, Classic NES, Transformers...pretty much anything pop-culture related from the 80's & 90's

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

good movie, neat toys, but i'm suprised the hobbit will be a 3 parter.  i thought it was only going to be a 2 parter.

Want to commission me to customize your m.u.s.c.l.e. or any other figure??? then click the link below for further info and message (PM) me if interested :)

http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69686&pid=351254&st=0&#entry351254

#9 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:16 AM

It was originally 2 parts, then PJ decided to split it into 3 mid production. Which is why the merchandising releases have been a bit inaccurate or oddly timed.

In all I think LEGO has handled it the best. The LotR and Hobbit minifigs are fantastic. I just got the Dol Guldur set that comes with Azog and he's one sweet LEGO figure :)

#10 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:00 AM

I did buy that invisible Bilbo in the end. Today I saw dozens of them in the store for £1.59. Meanwhile, EBay UK seems flooded with them - there's a lot of 25 with a 99p starting price. Crazy.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com