• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

Number of figures: 28+
Produced by: NECA
Distributed by: NECA
Found at: TRU, other retailers
Package type: single, visible packs
Size: 1.75-2 inches
Material: painted vinyl
Gimmick: they hang on things
Tagline: "Colllect 'em. Hang 'em!"

scalers-dc1.jpg

At first glance, you think "Aww, cute."

Upon closer inspection, you realize:  Man, these are dumb.

NECA seems to have put no thought into this toyline whatsoever.

1. There is no articulation.  A figure with such a large head could have easily been jointed at the neck. That's all the articulation needed. One change could have created 360 degrees of displaying possibilities.

2. They are all facing the same way.  This is different than point #1. If you are not going to give these figures movement at the neck, then please design them in pairs so that they are facing each other. Batman needs to be in a face-off with The Joker.  To be more precise, they need to have their bodies positioned toward each other with their heads turned toward us.  These should have been sold as 2-pack hero vs villain pairs: One has his head turned left, one has his head turned right.

3. They will hold onto almost nothing.  The packaging says: "Hang 'em from headphones! Attach 'em to cables!"  It goes on to suggest that you put them on lanyards, microphone cords, and shoelaces! Are you kidding me?  Follow these suggestions only if you are 100% determined to lose your figures. Their hands will grip a string or cord just like any other action figure holds any accessory. There is no hook, clasp, or knot keeping them attached. Add movement and they will let go.  I tried to hang one from my rear-view mirror, but it flew right off at the first turn I made.

4. The character selection is ridiculous.  Four figures in, and we've already doubled-up on Batman? Did we forget about the current marketability of Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, and Harley Quinn? And why is Superman holding onto a rope anyway?  Did he lose his ability to fly?

5. Speaking of Superman... what's with that face?  I swear, he looks more like a South Park character than anyone from DC.  Actually, it would have been hilarious if NECA had made The Coon, Mysterio, and Professor Chaos instead!  The style of this toyline seems more appropriate for comedic animated characters. Respected and revered superheroes -- with presumed superpowers?   Yeesh.

6. Not to mention how dirty they look just sitting around.

scalers-marvel1.jpg

Man, these are so dumb. 

The oddities continue:

1. There is a 2-pack that exists after all.  Of course, the figures are positioned in the same direction as all the others. It's a SDCC 2014 black-and-white alternate paint versions of Batman and The Joker. Great, another Batman.

2. Then, there are 3.5-inch versions of both that same Batman and that same Joker. They look exactly like the 1.75 inch versions -- packaging and all -- except well, larger. They don't even have a unique name at this scale (like "Mega Scalers" or something like that).

3. Finally, for some unwarranted reason, they've also made a 12-inch "Jumbo Scalers" version of that same freaking Batman.  Get ready to shell out $80+ if this figure is a must-have for you.

Other than Marvel and DC, these properties have also hastily been made into Scalers:

1. Alien
2. Predator
3. Godzilla
4. Jason Voorhees
5. Freddy Krueger
6. LOTR: Gollum
7. Gremlins: Gizmo*
8. Planet of the Apes: Cornelius
9. Pacific Rim: Knifehead
10. Pacific Rim: Gipsy Danger
11. TMNT: Leonardo
12. TMNT: Michelangelo
13. TMNT: Raphael
14. TMNT: Donatello

*Of all the Scalers (in all properties) Gizmo is the only one positioned in the opposite direction. Again, this makes no sense.  If you somehow wanted to argue the aesthetics of consistency by having them all positioned the exact same way, well, there goes that notion due to this one figure.

Hopefully, all these properties that have only one odd figure will soon get a complimentary figure positioned in the opposite direction.  

Hopefully, NECA is paying attention.

#2 trumanshower

trumanshower

Eternal Truman of the spotless mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • Interests:dragonautes, monster in my pocket, fistful of power, motu, cosmix, luxioles etc etc...

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:43 AM

i've bought the Gizmo scalers a few month ago, and waiting for the Stripe Gremlins that was shown in a previous toyfair.

Attached Files

French collector of Battle Beasts, Monster in my pocket and a bunch of other toys !!
FoP facebook page : https://www.facebook.../fistfulofpower

Boogaz facebook group : https://www.facebook...810983082984202

#3 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:18 AM

How cool would it be to have Gizmo and Stripe in a face-off?  Nope.  Not gonna happen.  

Even on the same string, they would look so much better if half of them were positioned in the opposite direction.

I wonder if we'll even see Stripe -- they're already making ones not shown in that picture, without ever having fulfilled the expectation of releasing those first.  

I just realized -- that's not even a display of prototypes.  It's just a photo of a banner (poster) featuring digital mock-ups! 

Edited by steverotters, 21 January 2015 - 05:26 AM.

#4 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:00 AM

I got the Knifehead one. I wasn't overly impressed with them. If they were to do a mini  figure line based off of that control art, that would be cool though. It's just that the Scalers gimmick is useless.

#5 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:09 AM

I thought about buying some of these. Now I am glad that I didn't. 

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#6 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

Wave 4 is out.  Plus an Avengers series.  Still no sign of Stripe. 

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NECA, Marvel, DC, TMNT, Alien, Predator, Godzilla, Gremlins, Gollum, Pacific Rim

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com