142 replies to this topic

#126 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

In all fairness, that diatribe wasn't about any one person, though there are several members that epitomize that behavior...
But, I think the time that has elapsed has shown, that the idea of change was good in theory, but not so realistic in practice. Money talks, brother.

#127 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

True but at the same time there are great people here who have always been great and probably will always stay the same way. I could run off a list of awesome people but i would be afraid to leave anyone out. For example be9ine is just an awesome guy. I have a standing deal with him to trade any extra muscle guys i get and any customs i release for the greatest coffee beans the world has ever known. Met the guy when i needed a claw and he helped me out basically for nothing. There are tons of people like that i know through this place. I honestly think this place has a great base but more and more those people feel less comfortable actually posting. That's what worries me.

#128 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

It's like I said before, in this thread... I know that the main issue is that the unethical minority seems like the majority, because they are more vocal. The ethical majority is largely silent, and that's why this trend has persisted.

#129 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Somebody stepped up to the plate big time to prove that LRG's community could still be awesome, whoever that was. It's precisely why I wanted to wait until I had the time to tell the full story to post what happened, to really emphasize what even an anonymous member could accomplish.

I'd also mentioned before that I'll be giving up the other 154s I received for free, the least I could do to pass on that goodwill, once I get my figures together.

#130 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

So has anyone actually done anything yet to change what it is they don't like about this hobby and this place?

Anyone taking any of the advice lots of people here offered?

Anyone change how they do things or who they do them with?

Have you helped out a collector just for the sake of their collection?
Have you avoided dealing with someone just because you know what they do to other collectors?
A lot of people here seemed into the idea irommask suggested but has anyone implemented it yet?

It seems a majority of these issues stems from MIMP or MUSCLE collecting, two lines I don't collect. I've had some offers I didn't like on Beasts before though, and I simply didn't go for them.

In regards to how I treat others, I try and treat everybody with as much courtesy as possible on the boards. If you ask me, part of the fun of the hobby stems from being a part of the community.
<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#131 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

If you ask me, part of the fun of the hobby stems from being a part of the community.

What he said! :good:

#132 fuzzbuster

fuzzbuster

Yes

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 2303 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

#133 CaffeineSanta

CaffeineSanta

Formerly Be9ine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., M.U.S.C.L.E.Super Rares, giant lots of M.U.S.C.L.E.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Well written :)

I've only been collecting a short while, so I am still experiencing the first part of your article: making new friends, and thoroughly enjoying the hobby; I even read and loved a book YOU suggested ;)

Anyway, thanks for the good times, all of you :)

And thanks for the shout out, PlasticSoul :D

Edited by be9ine, 25 March 2013 - 03:59 PM.

Like coffee? I roast for a living! Check it out at caffepacori.com
Ask me about trading coffee for your spare M.U.S.C.L.E.S.! I'll take most, regardless of condition :D

#134 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

True but at the same time there are great people here who have always been great and probably will always stay the same way. I could run off a list of awesome people but i would be afraid to leave anyone out. For example be9ine is just an awesome guy. I have a standing deal with him to trade any extra muscle guys i get and any customs i release for the greatest coffee beans the world has ever known. Met the guy when i needed a claw and he helped me out basically for nothing. There are tons of people like that i know through this place. I honestly think this place has a great base but more and more those people feel less comfortable actually posting. That's what worries me.

I second that be9ine is a great guy, and ive done a handful of trades for coffee too. :lol: Good shit!

but yeah making connections and friends on this board is the main reason i stick around, and I hope ive helped a bunch of you guys out on the board sharing the figures i come across a spreading the wealth. If we treat each other mare as friends than just a name/ business deal (which most of us do already) we'd lower the drama and crap that comes from harsh competition and underhandedness. :yes:

#135 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

I have been thinking about it a lot, and I have come to a few conclusions:

1. The monetary aspect of collecting isn't evil. In fact, it is necessary for sustaining the community. However...

2. The MUSCLE market NEEDS price fluctuations. We need to do a better job of classifying figures by rarity and by grade. Market fluctuations will help sustain market movement, so that we don't become another beanie baby bubble market. But, to better classify MUSCLE for pricing...

3. We need more/clearer classifications. Some of those step-brother Class A figures that are actually Class B or even C need to be renamed as such. Condition should be a factor as well. As pieces are indicated to become less rare, the pricing should reflect that. Less sought after figures would be knocked down a class, as they would not have the same demand that more popular figures have. This means that...

4. Pricing should ebb and flow based on actual rarity and actual demand.

I think if we recognized these things, as well as outliers/isolated events, we could find a happy medium between the money driven collectors and the schlubs like me that do it for love. I think we'd also have more cross pollination between collectors, instead of this monetary divide. Thoughts?

#136 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

I think we need to go back in time before the class system, and laugh like we used to at alex for trying to sell a figure for $65 because it was rarer. No matter how rare some of these are, they do pop up. why does any body pay exorbitant amounts? Because they are willing to. But just cause you pay a certain amount for a figure, doesn't mean that's what it's worth. Eventually all the high rollers will get their figures and these prices will stop, we just need to educate the next influx of collectors so they dont buy into that pricing like some already have.

#137 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

Happily stuck in the past

• Legends
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Keshi, Minifigs, Baseball Cards, Travel, Disc Golf, Bigfoot, Pizza, Beer

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

I've sat back and read the posts on this thread for quite some time now. It amazes me at just how much the hobby has changed since 1996. Back then, you really could spot a collector that didn't have the "best of intentions" from a mile away, and everyone in our circle (especially new collectors) were promptly notified to avoid them via e-mail newsletters and word of mouth. I felt like a sheepdog protecting his flock, and was adamant about protecting everyone from getting ripped off.

When I started the M.P.S., M.U.S.C.L.E. was abundant and easily attainable at a fair price. Singles, 4packs, 10packs, 28 packs, you name it. I didn't even care to sell them for the longest time. The name of the game back then was trading. Whether it was for other figures, or for items from other toy lines all together, I can honestly say that I've traded more M.U.S.C.L.E. than what I've sold (and I've indeed sold a lot) Heck.. for a little while, I gave away a free four packs to new collectors who joined The M.P.S. The new collectors really appreciated it, and I was blessed ten fold over the years for helping out collectors who desperately wanted to get started in the hobby.

There have been times in recent years, when I wanted to buy a bunch of four or ten packs for different projects I had in mind. More often than not, I quickly did an about face, if for no other reason than cost. Yes.. the hobby has changed a lot. Some things for the worse, but a lot of it for the better. Some of the worse almost put out the fire that burned inside me for the hobby, but the better has kept me snooping around over the years, and I'm happy to still be a part of the family.

Rest assured that other toy line enthusiasts have a lot of the same problems we've experienced in our hobby. Being involved with a tight knit group of collectors not only helps in regards to achieving your collecting goals, but it also makes it a heckuva lot more fun. I'm super grateful for all of the folks who have kept LRG alive all of these years. My focus on collecting is a lot different than it used to be, but the boards are an incredible resource for and old dog like me who is slowly trying to ease back into the game.

#138 Leitmotiv

Leitmotiv

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Caving, Mushrooming, Newsletter creation, radio, formicariums, guitar, singing, writing, thrift stores, garage saling, board games, discussion

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

In addition to make a new and improved rarity list (that seems to be taken seriously by the community), a price guide should be made as well. Just set the prices for what is agreed upon as a justifiable amount. New collectors will be indoctrinated by this price guide, and veteran collectors can become reacquainted. It sets the precedent for the future. It might not be adhered to right away, but you can point to the price guide when it suits the community's needs and hopefully change the state of mind for the hobby.

#139 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

In addition to make a new and improved rarity list (that seems to be taken seriously by the community), a price guide should be made as well. Just set the prices for what is agreed upon as a justifiable amount. New collectors will be indoctrinated by this price guide, and veteran collectors can become reacquainted. It sets the precedent for the future. It might not be adhered to right away, but you can point to the price guide when it suits the community's needs and hopefully change the state of mind for the hobby.

I don't think there is any way around the price guide always being sold auctions on ebay and board auctions here. The range of casual and hardcore collectors make it impossible to agree on a justifiable price. The group that is willing to pay Class A prices for Class A figures won't adhere to a price guide, and Class A sellers would laugh at a price guide.

The one Class A figure I want is light blue #23. I'd probably pay $40 for a mint one and not feel great about spending that much on a single MUSCLE. I think it would sell for over $200 on a board auction even if the buyer doesn't love that figure. There is just a wide range of collecting mindsets within the MUSCLE community. Some people don't think it's crazy to spend $100+ on a figure they already own in 7 other colors.

#140 Leitmotiv

Leitmotiv

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Caving, Mushrooming, Newsletter creation, radio, formicariums, guitar, singing, writing, thrift stores, garage saling, board games, discussion

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

I don't think there is any way around the price guide always being sold auctions on ebay and board auctions here. The range of casual and hardcore collectors make it impossible to agree on a justifiable price. The group that is willing to pay Class A prices for Class A figures won't adhere to a price guide, and Class A sellers would laugh at a price guide.

I don't think it would hurt to try.

#141 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

I shouldn't have been so caviler with my pluses and minuses.

I think a very basic price guide could be established for very routine stuff (basic figures, 4-packs, rings, etc.). I've had it on my To-Do list for some time - you can see where the working version stopped right here. But once you get into Class A, Non-Poster, and special items the MRT sets the price.

#142 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

I shouldn't have been so caviler with my pluses and minuses.

I think a very basic price guide could be established for very routine stuff (basic figures, 4-packs, rings, etc.).

I gave Leitmotiv a +. My thoughts on a price guide went straight to Class A, but he never said that. It could be useful for the common stuff.

Popularity of the sculpt drives the price on common figures. It would be a lot of work to try to rank them 1-236 by popularity though.

#143 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

I think a very basic price guide could be established for very routine stuff (basic figures, 4-packs, rings, etc.). I've had it on my To-Do list for some time - you can see where the working version stopped right here. But once you get into Class A, Non-Poster, and special items the MRT sets the price.

Couldn't agree more. You're spot on.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com