14 replies to this topic

#1 countzackula

countzackula

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

I consider myself a G.I. Joe fan in pretty good standing. It was always one of my favorite toy lines...I'm talkin' the small ones, not the honkin' big 12 inchers...sorry, old timers! Ha ha ha ha! Anyway, I had finally gotten my grubby mitts on a group of Zombie Vipers. These guys were art of the final wave of 2011 product...and tend to be extremely hard to find at retail. That's a story in itself. Me? I broke down and bought these off of a seller, in bulk, on eBay. Couldn't take it...things were looking grim. At any rate, I got a few and I'm relatively happy.

Now, some amongst ye might consider the whole "zombie thing" a bit overdone these days. Mmmm...true...even I kinda feel that way a bit. Seems everywhere you go you see something zombie-related. I mean, I guess zombies never really went away in pop culture when you think about it. Well, when I heard that Hasbro was making a zombie character for G.I. Joe, I knew I had to have it...well...several! Too bad the figure seems to have gotten a really crappy release. Like I said before: so hard to find!

Here it is carded, front and back:

Posted Image
Posted Image

The packaging style is pretty much standard. The 80s era small-scale Joes had a similar packaging style all the way into the 90s. The early 2000s saw a lot of two-packs, but around the time of the 25th Anniversary, the traditional packaging style came back. You have the brand logo, a big illustration of the character to entice you, and the off-center blister bubble with the figure and accessories. Around back, you get the classic clip-and-save file card.

The figure itself rocks! I knew that before I ever even got any! Here he is freed from his paper and plastic prison:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The figure is your classic zombie. I'm not sure if it is meant to be truly undead. I'm assuming, due to the bio, the Zombie Vipers are essentially mutants. Apparently, they are Cobra troops exposed to a mysterious substance called Compound Z. We first heard of this as a sort of teaser with the Hazard Viper...a creepy, evil haz-mat guy that carried around case full of blue canisters of the vile substance. I don't think any of the comics or the new cartoon ever touched upon this...yet.

I assume Hasbro didn't go with the classic rotted, gory flesh since these would ideally be on toy shelves at Wal-Mart, Target, and such...and I don't think that'd fly. Instead, the zombies still appear to be decayed, yet their exposed veins and muscle are bluish...assumed to be saturated with Compound Z. The detail on these guys are great...mottled skin with bubbling blisters, veins sticking out, matted hair, rotted teeth, even the top of the skull is sort of ripped off! The hands are not sculpted to hold guns or knives, like most Joes. Instead they are gnarled, scraping claws. Almost all newer style Joes have removeable armor or web gear. Aside from the evidence of a tattered jumpsuit, this guy's harness straps are ripped and frayed. You can take this off and see the big Cobra insignia on Zombie Viper's chest more clearly...he's also got smaller ones on his upper arms.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Zombie Viper comes with a dome-like helmet with little vents on the sides and a grill on the front...it has several holes in the back for hoses to hook up to. Yep, around the back of his web gear harness, you can see four holes where canisters of Compound Z can plug into. Originally and whatever show or convention these first got shown off at, they had numerous canisters plugged into the back of the figure and hooked up to the helmet. The figure only comes with one. If you you blow your money like a nut job, and troop build...you can relive this old promise! Looks awesome with multiple Compound Z bulbs plugged it. You really can't do four since the helmet has only three holes and the tube would never reach from the bottom port. You also get alternate tendril arms...a nice touch. I'm not a huge gamer, but this makes me think of something out of Resident Evil. This also goes hand-in-hand with my mutant zombie theory. I guess something truly dead couldn't grow, huh? I like to pretend that the mutant tentacles are a result of pumping these boys up with tones of the compound. Just pop off the humanoid lower arms and attach the tentacle ones. The little chunks of tattered sleeves are actually separate, so careful you don't loose 'em! The hands and arms look as if they've been stretched out and eventually started to morph into squid-like tentacles. The flesh seems to rip as it stretches. So cool...what detail!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, one other great thing about these...you can put gear on from other figures...paintless customization! This way, if you want zombified Joes instead of just Cobra troops, you can live your dreams. You can also just pop the zombie noggins on other figure bodies and make up zombified guys that way.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I've army built with many of the Cobra troop types...I absolutely HAD to have at least six of these! What kind of zombie hoard has, like, two measly zombies?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Deep down, some sick part of me wants more! I know toy companies like to re-release stuff and repaint figures, so I'm hoping we might get a new paint deco (and possibly a modified sculpt) after the new movie stuff...hey, I guy can dream!

I found some dumb LED finger light in a drawer and figured I screw around with it. Dude...check it! Ahhh...mood lighting...for the zombie awakening!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Well, that's enough of that...time for beddy-bye!

Edited by countzackula, 21 February 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#2 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Very cool, i have never seen him before.

thanks for sharing~!

#3 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

Yeah I've been looking for this guy for a few weeks now. I'm not sure if the shops in my area have him yet or if everyone nabbed him and are now selling him on the secondary market. Anyway, nice pics.

#4 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, Fake Battle Beasts, Custom Battle beasts.
    BATTLE BEASTS ROCK AND SO DO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Dude i think he is great. However i only collect the 80s and 90s ones. They did release anoutheer zombie in the early 90s i think he was called toxo zombie or something like that. He kind of look like a robot but with bite marks taken out of him. Hes pritty cool. I find love bugit zombie movies are way over done however i think its only getting going on a high end budgit with things like walking dead and world war z coming out. I cant wait. Jay

#5 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Zombies are awesome!

Really though... just saw these the other day at Wal Mart or Toys R Us or something... didn't realize they were tough to get ahold of... guess next time I will pick them up?

#6 WarOnTheShore

WarOnTheShore

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

This is far and away my least favorite of newer Joes. Just doesn't look like part of the line.

#7 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

This is far and away my least favorite of newer Joes. Just doesn't look like part of the line.

Doesn't matter to me. This is one wickedly awesome figure for any zombie admirer to love and hold!

#8 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

These are great figures. I was able to find 4 of em. I'd have liked to see more accessories, and alternate hands that can hold weapons. They are Zombies, but at the same time their BIO cards say they retain all of their prior skills and abilities.

I wouldn't mind if they just released a Zombi-fication kit. Give us a box with 20 sets of Zombie heads, hands, and feet, and let us make Joe zombies like count did. :)

Posted Image

#9 JetEyeNight

JetEyeNight

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

Doesn't matter to me. This is one wickedly awesome figure for any zombie admirer to love and hold!

I agree. I used to really be into GI Joe when I was a kid, but moved to Star Wars figures. However I am into zombies and the zombie viper looks really cool.

#10 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

During the 4th, toysrus.com restocked with a crapload of all the later Joe waves and that included the Zombie-Viper.

I'll have one in on Monday, along with three for friends.

Good news for those of you who missed out is that the actual TRUs are starting to get more in now, so keep an eye out if you have one local.

#11 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

sadly my tru restocked with gi joe's new movie stuff...................and it sucks

#12 GoreVidalMeaty

GoreVidalMeaty

Trojan Trebuchet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Toyfinity, Wrangler jeans, MIMP ALL series,
    M.U.S.C.L.E. Things and the mighty ARCO Red Lizardman.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Same here. I have two T'R'U's and 2 Targets and a Walmart all within 10 miles of me...zilch! No 30th Anniversary Joes ESPECIALLY the Zombie-Vipers. Also no SLUG Zombies, but that is another post.

#13 McCTXToys

McCTXToys

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

I found all of mine at Wal-greens.

#14 eaglekiller

eaglekiller

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

What a cool figure. I wish it got more of a mass release!

#15 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

eagle, it got a pretty wide release, it was just bought up fast when they hit, because people liked to take the zombie parts and change them with other joe figs so it looked like other joes got infected by the zombie virus. you can still get them on ebay for around 15ish plus shipping which isn't god awful considering mine came from walgreens, and at that time they were charging 12.99 for a joe figure for some reason..just couldn't pass up a zombie so i woulda paid 20+ for him if they told me that was the price.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com