Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:MUSCLE Salmon #108

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

PM me in winter...
If you can't remember to PM me... You ain't gonna remember what I tell you :D

Really, if you are still into it come winter, I'll help you to dial your trees.

D.

Garden pics from last Friday...

Attached Files

Edited by DDR, 17 June 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#27 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

Today's harvest. :D

Attached File  garden.jpg   41.83K   7 downloads

#28 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Starting to get a few things out of our garden  :)

Attached File  IMG_5464x.jpg   175.41K   9 downloads

Had some growth since the first photo -

Attached File  IMG_5465x.jpg   180.48K   8 downloads

Posted Image

#29 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

We've been getting those midget cucumbers, too. :D

So far, lots of tomatoes.
A half a dozen cucumbers. Including one "lemon" cucumber. Pretty novel.
About the same amount of chili peppers, but there are tons of small ones blooming.
1 (small one) per plant on the Bell Peppers (so far)
We got lots of tomatillos from one plant and one fromt he 2nd one, but the "fruitful" plant ended up turning yellow and dying before the fruit was ripe. The one next to it is still green and healthy. Same raised bed, right next to each other. Go figure.
Cantaloupe is growing on.
Watermelon is blooming but no fruit yet.
Corn is growing about 2 per stalk, but the stalks are short still. My buddy who lives a few blocks down had stalks as tall as the house. He grew up on a farm so it is no wonder, ha ha.

Overall I am still pretty excited! Planning on exapanding next year, too.

Here's a pic:
Attached File  garden-2013-07-20.jpg   316.88K   16 downloads

#30 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

We've been getting those midget cucumbers, too. :D

So far, lots of tomatoes.
A half a dozen cucumbers. Including one "lemon" cucumber. Pretty novel.

Yeah, we got those midgets to pickle, we may just end up eating them tho...  :lol:

I have heard about those Lemon Cukes. I can't remember exactly what I heard but I remember thinking they would be fun to try. Let me know what you think of them.

Beyond whats pictured we've gotten 8 cups of Black Berries, about 2 gallons of Mulberries (made jam from both) and some Kale and Chard. Our tomato plants are out of control but nothing is ripe yet.

Posted Image

#31 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

Score, I got to get a pic up now that stuff is growing in ours.  My corn and tomato plants are taller than I am, each corn has two stalks, and tomatos are out of control.  They are just now ripining so my daughters can pick them, she loves that.  My pepper plants never flourished, they are like 6 inches tall.  Carrots i think are doing good, i dont know, havent picked any and dont know anything about them, and my brocolli plants are getting huge, like waste high, but i dont see anything on them that looks like brocolli, not sure how that grows either haha.

#32 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

......and my brocolli plants are getting huge, like waste high, but i dont see anything on them that looks like brocolli, not sure how that grows either haha.

Yeah Doc, we were in the same broccoli boat, so to speak. Our plants are big but they didn't look like "broccoli" and we didn't know what to expect. However, just today we noticed the familiar broccoli head (or at least what looks like one) forming in the center of one plant. 

Posted Image

#33 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

Yeah Doc, we were in the same broccoli boat, so to speak. Our plants are big but they didn't look like "broccoli" and we didn't know what to expect. However, just today we noticed the familiar broccoli head (or at least what looks like one) forming in the center of one plant. 

Haha thats awesome, I guess I just have to give mine a little more time.

#34 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

Today's haul and a little shot of some of my garden.  Not too impressive today haha, just some tomatoes and carrots.

Attached Files

#35 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

I dunno about your veggies but your other produce is stealing the show  :lol:

Posted Image

#36 DDR

DDR

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

Nice harvest everyone.

Remember to pick summer squash & cucumbers earlier as they ripen... Before they get too fibrous, seedy & large.

Also, if you have trouble with critters eating your tomatoes just before they fully ripen:
Cut off a 6-10 inch section of the branch the almost ripe tomatoes are attached to... (Leaving fruit attached to branch you cut) place inside near a sunny window. This allows the fruit to truly ripen safely indoors, as nutrients from the branch continue to be translocated into the fruit. Ripe, good flavor, no damage :)

Really manage your plant/soil dry down during this part of the year as pests will quickly bloom & create issues. (See my previous posts)

I'm currently drowning in work & travel... So no pictures of the garden. Though a few of my tomato plants are 15 footers :)

Cheers fellas! Great work!

Edited by DDR, 06 August 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#37 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

I'm currently drowning in work & travel... So no pictures of the garden. Though a few of my tomato plants are 15 footers :)

Is that a vertical measurement?

Some of our tomato plants are so big that they crushed their wire cages. Now, they just look like a pile of vines on the ground, its a bit unruly.... However, they were nowhere near 15 foot.....

Thanks for the tips btw  :good:

Posted Image

#38 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

All my tomato and corn plants are a foot taller than me.  But im not that tall hahaha.

#39 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Our tomato plants are only about 3 feet tall, but putting out lots of fruit.

#40 smokinjoe

smokinjoe

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

My neighbor grows gherkins in his front flower bed. I saw him out there picking some the other day.

#41 DDR

DDR

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Is that a vertical measurement?

Some of our tomato plants are so big that they crushed their wire cages. Now, they just look like a pile of vines on the ground, its a bit unruly.... However, they were nowhere near 15 foot.....

Thanks for the tips btw  :good:

Actually more of a 45 degree angle :D

See my terrace pictures... They climbed over the 5ft trellis (from the bed in which they were planted), across the path & up the wall & into the next terrace to about 4ft tall. I actually put the garden in for my mom & dad, but have been traveling and not around to help... So things got a bit out of hand.

Not to mention, that perhaps my soil calculations made the soil a bit TOO IDEAL..

They are currently dripping in tomatoes (16 varieties)

Anyone that wants to plant deciduous fruit (peaches, plums, nectarines, pears, apples, grapes, blueberries, raspberries, etc), should start planning & prepping the soil while its still soft (for you northern orchardists). ONLY buy/ plant completely dormant bare root stock... Never buy potted or leafed-out plants.

Depending on how harsh your winter is, you'll be planting Dec-March(ish)

Again, these deciduous fruits should not have any leaves when you are planting them.

Hope you've enjoyed my unsolicited tidbit :D I can't help it... Love what I do.

Later all!

D.

#42 DDR

DDR

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

(Tried to quote you too doc, but it didn't come through)

You want to pick broccoli while it still has a purple hue... The top of the broccoli stalk are clusters of tiny unopened flowers... They will start out egg shaped/spherical and smooth. When they start to segment and they develop a "X" or + shape on top... HARVEST!

If they flower out, you can still eat them... They just aren't as good ;)

D.

#43 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

Thanks, my brocolli still just looks like a big plant, nothing on it that looks like brocolli and its up to my waste haha.  In regards to fruit trees, I have a hosai asian pear tree which is supposed to self pollinate, however I have had it for two years and not one piece of fruit.  Do pear trees typicall take a few years before they start producing, or do I need another tree to pollinate this biatch?

#44 DDR

DDR

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

Thanks, my brocolli still just looks like a big plant, nothing on it that looks like brocolli and its up to my waste haha. In regards to fruit trees, I have a hosai asian pear tree which is supposed to self pollinate, however I have had it for two years and not one piece of fruit. Do pear trees typicall take a few years before they start producing, or do I need another tree to pollinate this biatch?

In regard to the fruit trees:

Have they flowered and not set fruit?
Or
Have they never flowered?

Other than this issue, are they otherwise healthy, happy & vigorous?

Edited by DDR, 15 August 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#45 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

Anyone that wants to plant deciduous fruit (peaches, plums, nectarines, pears, apples, grapes, blueberries, raspberries, etc), should start planning & prepping the soil while its still soft (for you northern orchardists). ONLY buy/ plant completely dormant bare root stock... Never buy potted or leafed-out plants.

Why is this?

I bought green apple and nectarine trees earlier this summer and planted them. The green apple has flowered a lot and grown a foot. The nectarine has done nothing, but still looks very healthy.

My lemon tree (still in a pot) is blooming right now.

Can you elaborate on your soil calculations?

#46 DDR

DDR

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

Why is this?I bought green apple and nectarine trees earlier this summer and planted them. The green apple has flowered a lot and grown a foot. The nectarine has done nothing, but still looks very healthy.My lemon tree (still in a pot) is blooming right now.Can you elaborate on your soil calculations?

Yes, indeed you should be fine. Also to be specific, I am solely discussing deciduous trees (those that lose their leaves in winter)

Well to answer your question, we are talking about very complicated physiological mechinisms... so I have to simplify...

They can indeed thrive... However, you are dealing with a tap rooted tree which has been unable to properly develop its root system which limits uptake & vigor. Bare root planted trees are strikingly different many years into growth (larger, more productive with markedly improved disease resistance). This is significant in the case of apples which live hundreds of years if properly managed. This is a well established fact & there are many studies that demonstrate this. Also, I have a masters in Agroecology & work for the USDA as farm consultant who helps farmers refine there management and have seen this first hand on many varying sites.

Deciduous trees, kinda like a bear fattening up for winter, translocate nutrients from the leaves in fall, storing carbohydrates in the branches, bark, trunk and roots, which fuel the initial burst of growth come spring. If you plant a leafed out tree (bare root or potted), this reserve has already been been expressed & exhausted. When you plant a tree it becomes stressed from its new environment ( new: soils, orientation to sun, humidity, temp fluctuations, pests, irrigation water, etc.). If planted while actively growing, you now have an impacted organism who's root system can not yet effectively access water/nutrients and limited reserves to carry it through the stressful adjustment period. As a result it is typically more detrimentally impacted than a deciduous tree which has been planted dormant, adjusted to its environment slowly and has efficiently expressed its nutrient reserve.

Also, trees coming out of dormancy have a major root flush (growth) well before you see anything change above ground.

In the case of citrus trees, they are not deciduous and never go dormant... A different "animal" all together...

As for soil calculations... You are better off getting an Agronomy text. Though if interested, there are many agricultural labs that can help. Basically, you send in a soil sample, tell them what you are growing and they'll test it, sending you the results with soil amendment recommendations. Usually about $60-$70.

That's about all the typing I've got in me for the day... I hope I've answered your questions.

Later, D.

Edited by DDR, 16 August 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#47 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

In regard to the fruit trees:

Have they flowered and not set fruit?
Or
Have they never flowered?

Other than this issue, are they otherwise healthy, happy & vigorous?

This tree has never flowered.  never seen one yet.  I just planted it last year and when i did, it was about four feet tall with only a couple branches.  Now it stands about ten feet tall and full of branches and leaves.  I would say its definately healthy.  Its more than doubled in height in a single year.

#48 DDR

DDR

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Probably not enough chill hours to induce flowering... Send me the variety name & I'll check.

Many nursery's sell trees in areas in which they will never flower... A complete disservice.
Although it could be something else... Let me know and we can verify ;)

Best, D.

#49 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

DDR, you are awesome!

Thanks for all the advice (and pics!!!)

#50 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

Rin's weekend harvest, this girl is a gardening machine!

Attached Files

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com