• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Idol Choujin Showtime

Idol Choujin Showtime

Nezumi-Otoko for President!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts (Jeet Kune Do, Tai Chi, Aikido), manga and anime, drawing mangas, Kurosawa Akira and Woody Allen and Stanley Kubrick films, Japanese food and culture, breathing, Mystery Science Theater 3000, political humor, voice actors, flying by farting, wrestling, and the music of Frank Zappa

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:59 PM

I've said it before but I'm going to say it again: "I don't think that I have any say in this, I'm just giving you my 10 yen". I personally hate when people aren't happy with what I'm doing but tell me 'Good Job' anyway, so I'm giving some constructive critisism that I hope you won't hate me for.

Meat-60 lines(See/Hear Ultimate Muscle-version of Meat. If only Mike wanted to have a go...)

Does he really need to sound like Burgess Meredith? I mean, he's 12! Why can't he sound 12?

Nachi-35 lines(Female, but androgenous.)

Well, Nachiguron's a guy, but a girl-voice is okay... i guess...

MikeMetaphor-20 lines(gay version of Mac Metaphor. 'fruity' Mac Metaphor voice)

This is off topic (sort of), but I recently found out that this character was actually called "Yay Totani". I don't get the Yay part, but the Totani part comes from his (and the detective's) voice actor Kouji Totani (r.i.p.).

Doc Nakano-15 lines(Announcer, small and excitable announcer)
Mac Metaphor-30 lines(Announcer, primary announcer)
SkullDuggery-6 lines(Simi-fruity mexican/spanish accent)
Rocky Slabb-7 lines(Gravelly Voice)

The name changes and Kinkotsuman having a "semi-fruity mexican/spanish accent" are my only problems here.

Detective-3
Gramma-3
nudist guy -3

Detective Gobugari
Grandma Kinkotsu
Yosaku

Ramenman-6 lines(Asian stelrhotype)

A.) Which "Asian stereotype"? There's more than Asian accent
B.) Why? Ramenman deserves better than a cheap laugh from a funny accent

Terryman-Jensen-9 lines-100%(Southerner Stereotype)

As long as there's no "gosh dang doodle" or "boy howdy, we's all in one them-there pickles", I'm okay with an accent

RobinMask-5 lines(Sean Connery Impershon)

I know (very well) that Sean Connery played James Bond, one of the biggest and most recognizable British cultural icons ever... but he's still Scottish, and Robin Mask isn't.

Geronimo-5 lines(American Indian Stereotype)

Mmm, an accent would make him sound too old, he's only 17 right here.

Buffaloman-5 lines(Prussian Stereotype)

For the love god, no please! Buffaloman is not Russian, we's a Spainard(sp?). He's obviousley a reference to the Running of the Bulls, so making him Russian makes no sense.
Currently Reading: One Piece, Hajime no Ippo, Detective Conan, Toriko, Beelzebub, Bakuman., Nurarihyon no Mago, Kyoukai no Rinne, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, GTO: Shonan 14 Days, Naruto, Bleach, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Rurouni Kenshin, Shamo, Real, BØY, and (whenever I can) KochiKame
Posted Image
Gouri Daisuke, 1952~2010
"Washi ga Otokojuku jukuchou... Edajima Heihachi de aru!!!!!"

#2 Idol Choujin Showtime

Idol Choujin Showtime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts (Jeet Kune Do, Tai Chi, Aikido), manga and anime, drawing mangas, Kurosawa Akira and Woody Allen and Stanley Kubrick films, Japanese food and culture, breathing, Mystery Science Theater 3000, political humor, voice actors, flying by farting, wrestling, and the music of Frank Zappa

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:07 PM

Part II of Annoying Purist Fest '07

BrockenJr-6 lines(Ahnuld/German stereotype)

.....umm.... no?.... please...?

Warsman-Jensen-100%(Robot Stereotype)

As long as you mean "a computerized voice" I'm allright here. But if Warsman starts spouting "All your base are belong to us" I'm outta here

The Boss of the Chikatetsucyozinka-Jensen-100%(Russian Stereotype)

Fight Walla
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chikatetsucyozinka Gang-various-20% done

Is this supposed to be the guys in the subway? If so, shouldn't they have Brooklyn accents?

Big Apple-14 lines(Brooklyn Accent)

Um, why?

vox 0075-SkullDuggery-Is this a joke? America has a cowboy for its president?

vox 0076-RockySlab-It'll be funnier in twenty years!

I still don't understand why this had to be changed. I mean, Reagan was an actor before he was president, predominately in westerns, so I think that joke was funny as was.

Well, I hope I didn't annoy you too much. Again, my opinion prob'ly doesn't even matter that much, I'm just giving you feedback (and I seem to be the only one). My computer hates me so I still haven't been able to audition, but I'll still try to.
Currently Reading: One Piece, Hajime no Ippo, Detective Conan, Toriko, Beelzebub, Bakuman., Nurarihyon no Mago, Kyoukai no Rinne, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, GTO: Shonan 14 Days, Naruto, Bleach, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Rurouni Kenshin, Shamo, Real, BØY, and (whenever I can) KochiKame
Posted Image
Gouri Daisuke, 1952~2010

#3 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:16 AM

I've said it before but I'm going to say it again: "I don't think that I have any say in this, I'm just giving you my 10 yen". I personally hate when people aren't happy with what I'm doing but tell me 'Good Job' anyway, so I'm giving some constructive critisism that I hope you won't hate me for.

You do have a say. See the Ukon/Udon scene? It's cut, with a small voiceover to explain why. Why? 'cause of your feelings. No 'floating poo joke' there.

Meat-60 lines(See/Hear Ultimate Muscle-version of Meat. If only Mike wanted to have a go...)

Does he really need to sound like Burgess Meredith? I mean, he's 12! Why can't he sound 12?

RobinMask-5 lines(Sean Connery Impershon)

I know (very well) that Sean Connery played James Bond, one of the biggest and most recognizable British cultural icons ever... but he's still Scottish, and Robin Mask isn't.

Terryman-Jensen-9 lines-100%(Southerner Stereotype)

As long as there's no "gosh dang doodle" or "boy howdy, we's all in one them-there pickles", I'm okay with an accent

BrockenJr-6 lines(Ahnuld/German stereotype)

.....umm.... no?.... please...?

Buffaloman-5 lines(Prussian Stereotype)

For the love god, no please! Buffaloman is not Russian, we's a Spainard(sp?). He's obviousley a reference to the Running of the Bulls, so making him Russian makes no sense.

I'd like some consistancy between the current English translation and this one. Sorry. But don't worry about Terry. I'm a REAL southerner, and I just talked. I said exactly as is in the scrypt, though it'd probably be spelled as "Whutinnuh'ell?"

Ramenman-6 lines(Asian stelrhotype)

A.) Which "Asian stereotype"? There's more than Asian accent
B.) Why? Ramenman deserves better than a cheap laugh from a funny accent

A.) (rhl for "L" and "R")
Partly consistancy (UM did it), partly because I find the 'r/l mixup' funny... and partly moreso because his line is "to be completly selfless." Lots of R's and L's in there to "be complrhetlry sehrlfrhess" with.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#4 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:17 AM

Geronimo-5 lines(American Indian Stereotype)

Mmm, an accent would make him sound too old, he's only 17 right here.

Shouldn't be too noticeable. It's more of a speaking pattern than an actual accent I'm after. Much like if Shatner's speech method was an ethnic stereotype (but not talking... like... Whilliamshatner!) So it would be like "It... has given... our oppro... tunity."

Warsman-Jensen-100%(Robot Stereotype)

As long as you mean "a computerized voice" I'm allright here. But if Warsman starts spouting "All your base are belong to us" I'm outta here

Here's what I did: Pitch shift to all the same note (no dynamics), Phone Futz, followed by a desampler with a 16k downsampling and slight distortion, through an amp simulator with fuzz, through a hard limiter. I couldn't get an online voice synthesizer to say "Uhhhgh! Ohhhwwwww! Yaaahhhhh! Aaaahhhh!" Granted, after I did all of that processing, I got what sounded like a machine shorting out... but I guess that fits quite well, too.

Nachi-35 lines(Female, but androgenous.)

Well, Nachiguron's a guy, but a girl-voice is okay... i guess...

Well, Nachi is a "pat" character. Since Kinn kisses it, I'd prefer to think of it as female. Americans mostly don't get that "bisho/bichojin" thing.

SkullDuggery-6 lines(Simi-fruity mexican/spanish accent)
Rocky Slabb-7 lines(Gravelly Voice)

The name changes and Kinkotsuman having a "semi-fruity mexican/spanish accent" are my only problems here.

Again, Namechange, see above. Respectful Consistency. As for the voice description... that's the original Japanese version as far as I can tell. I didn't like his dub voice, and prefer the simi-fruity sounding spanish accent like in the original Japanese.

Detective-3
Gramma-3
nudist guy -3

Detective Gobugari
Grandma Kinkotsu
Yosaku

Don't you mean Detective Tommy Gunn/Detective Akaiwa/Detective Gobugari? He's never named. He has three lines. "Yay! Yay!;" "Yaaay!" and "Huh? Ewwww!" That goes for all three of 'em. I'll change the names when I Overdub the credits with who did what... Though why "Granny Kinkotsu?" Isn't "Granny" enough?
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

#5 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:19 AM

Big Apple-14 lines(Brooklyn Accent)

Um, why?

'cuz hese 'da spi'it ah Nuh Yohk. (Any stereotypical NY accent works, honestly. I just have to find someone who can do a decent one that doesn't sound oddly familiar and have a stutter to it)

The Boss of the Chikatetsucyozinka-Jensen-100%(Russian Stereotype)

Is this supposed to be the guys in the subway? If so, shouldn't they have Brooklyn accents?

Yes. According to the (now closed) AKIA store, that guy was the boss of the chikatetsucyozinka. He looked kinda like Zangief from Street Fighter, so I tried a Zangief impression. Worked fairly well, and it only misses one mouth movement (though it wasn't edited, it sounds edited... unfortunatly). However, the other Chickas have the lines of "Oof," "Arrgh!" "Ouch!" "OW!" and "Aaaah!" And their origine isn't explained. Who knows if they're NYborn?

vox 0075-SkullDuggery-Is this a joke? America has a cowboy for its president?

vox 0076-RockySlab-It'll be funnier in twenty years!

I still don't understand why this had to be changed. I mean, Reagan was an actor before he was president, predominately in westerns, so I think that joke was funny as was.

Well, I hope I didn't annoy you too much. Again, my opinion prob'ly doesn't even matter that much, I'm just giving you feedback (and I seem to be the only one). My computer hates me so I still haven't been able to audition, but I'll still try to.

How many people who see this on YouTube are going to know who Regan is? I want this to appeal to a LOT of people, and get this series licensed by someone in the US. The rewrite scene is the same kind of thing, but americanized a bit (and updated a little). I feel it'll appeal to more people. A factoid about Regan being an actor makes it seem like a history lesson to the 13-18 ageset that I'm hoping take to this clip.

And don't worry about annoyances. Every little thing helps-- I may have to rewrite the "SuKuFroZan" bit if the lines don't match up as well as I thought, and I have your translations of what that scene is to fall back on even harder if needed. Everyone's assistence with this project is VALUBLE.

#6 Idol Choujin Showtime

Idol Choujin Showtime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:07 AM

Pretaining to the voices: I may be wrong here, but if we stick too close to the 4kidz dub, isn't there a possibility we could be sued? Because those voices are a bit unique to 4kidz. There are plenty of people who would try to dub Kinnikuman and give Rikishiman a "Sumo voice" or Ramenman and Asian accent (but more than likely, no "l to r" thing), but how many people who would like Kinnikuman enough to do a fan dub would come to the conclusion that Robin Mask should sound like Sean Connery, Brocken Jr should sound like he invents weather machines for Cobra, 12-year-old Meat should sound like 60-year-old Burgess Meredith, and Buffaloman should be Russian. Those voices were just so odd for those characters (especially if you know the characters pretty well, which we'd have to if we're doing a fan dub), that it's probably seem like we were ripping the 4kidz dub off. The announcer would pose a problem too. The announcer's sound completely different in the orignal Japanese versions of G1 and Nisei, so if we were to use the Eric Stuart voice (which, as much as I hated it, was similar to the Japanese Nisei announcer) for the original Kouji Totani announcer it'd seem like we were ripping them off again. The name changes could enter into this as well. Again, though, I may be overthinking things here.

Pretaining to the movie only characters: I still don't think the Big Apple needs a "funny" accent to be interesting, but if you have to, why not give him an old Jweish man accent? And I still say the Subway baddies should be the one's with Brooklyn accents.

Pretaining to Nachiguron: Nachiguron is in no way androgynous, he is a little boy monster who serves as Kinnikuman's second sidekick in the anime. If Kinnikuman kisses him at some point, it's prob'ly 'cuz Kinnikuman was just being his usual goofy self at the time (unless you're reffering to that time in the manga when he thought Nachiguron was Mari; if that's the case, remember how Kinnikuman screamed after he realized it was Nachiguron?).

Pretaining to Ronald Reagan: Are you kidding me? "How many people who see this will even know who Ronald Reagan is"? Dude! The same amount who know who JFK, Truman, and Lincoln were: most of them!! Talk about taking the whole "Kids today are stupid and only care about their ipods and playstations" thing way too far! I may not have liked the b@stard but his funeral was like two months long!! And even if yer right and nobody that young remembers him, he just died a couple of years ago, so being forced to pay tribute at school to "that president who died" (which, more than likely, would've required doing reports on him) will probably still be fresh in their minds. I mean, if you had said "How many will know that he used to be an actor" instead, I would've agreed (although, I still would've insisted we keep the joke in its original form).

Also, I never knew we had a targeted audience and that it was the 13-18 ageset. In that case, you might want to really reconsider sticking close to the UM dub, because most anime fans that old aren't to fond of the 4kidz style of dubbing.

And of course, I still don't think Ramenman and Geronimo should be reduced to offensive cultural stereotypes and the voices, and the name changes, and the blah-blah-blah, same-old same-old, I'm-annoying, you know the rest...

PS: What is the "SuKuFroZan"?
Posted Image
Gouri Daisuke, 1952~2010

#7 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:03 AM

PS: What is the "SuKuFroZan"?

The thing we WERE going to call the "Elemental Mixer," but just spelled it out. If the person who dubs Kinnikuman can't get a good sound out of the japanese parts, though, it may be forced to be "Elemental Mixer" if the scene I wrote based on the translation doesn't expand like I think it does.

#8 Frobman

Frobman

KA-KAKAKAKA!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Video Games, Drawing comics, Toy collecting, Cartoons, TV shows and movies that would make me laugh for sake of nostalgia, so on ....

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:34 AM

You mean FuuRinKaZan? I can say it with no problem, but I still have troubles to get Kinnikuman's childish voice right.
Say, aren't I still playing Warsman? I can do the voice, then flange it, then mix them both for that kind of effect. I should probably try out some more voices.

#9 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:23 AM

You mean FuuRinKaZan? I can say it with no problem, but I still have troubles to get Kinnikuman's childish voice right.
Say, aren't I still playing Warsman? I can do the voice, then flange it, then mix them both for that kind of effect. I should probably try out some more voices.

Due to synch difficulties within the Pro Tools program, I'm having to record each person in person... I couldn't scrape enough money up to buy VocAlign that would've allowed us to do the voices remotely.

ETA on the vox and sfx: 6 months. ETA on Music: TBA by NewOldGuy.

#10 Idol Choujin Showtime

Idol Choujin Showtime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:48 AM

Due to synch difficulties within the Pro Tools program, I'm having to record each person in person...

Where at?
Posted Image
Gouri Daisuke, 1952~2010

#11 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:22 AM

Due to synch difficulties within the Pro Tools program, I'm having to record each person in person...

Where at?

Central-Mississippi area.

#12 Idol Choujin Showtime

Idol Choujin Showtime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:46 AM

Well, I'm in Pearl River, LA, about 20 minutes from the state line.
Posted Image
Gouri Daisuke, 1952~2010

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com