• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

I was thinking of making a basic guide for MIMP in spreadsheet form that listed every Series 1 MIMP in each color with 4 icons. 

R = Rare

C = Common

P = Promo

X = Does not exist

I made a preliminary version of this spreadsheet but I don't know the rarity of a lot of the 5 and 10 point monsters. I thought this guide might help the new people to MIMP collecting. Would anyone be interested in the guide or helping me make it more accurate? I can send it to anyone who asks.

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#2 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

I think this is a fantastic idea.

Unfortunately, that's about all that I can offer.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#3 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

I think this is a fantastic idea.

Unfortunately, that's about all that I can offer.

Ha! I appreciate the moral support at least.

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#4 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

As you know from Facebook I am interested in this idea and like what you put together (still need to take a closer look :) ). When I got into collecting MIMP more aggressively I was actually surprised something like this didn't already exist (at least that I could tell).

I think it would be really helpful to new collectors in terms of giving a sense of what to expect in their search and provide some direction.

At the same time I think the challenge is that there can be big gray areas on what can and should qualify as "rare," especially with some figures--and that some are not common but also not quite rare. Plus the whole question of whether certain figures are genuinely rare or if they're just called rare because they were only available in a specific country.

Maybe instead of "rare" the terminology should be "location specific" or something like that? Although, I'm not sure if there's comprehensive knowledge about exactly which figures were limited to a specific location.

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#5 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

As you know from Facebook I am interested in this idea and like what you put together (still need to take a closer look :) ). When I got into collecting MIMP more aggressively I was actually surprised something like this didn't already exist (at least that I could tell).

I think it would be really helpful to new collectors in terms of giving a sense of what to expect in their search and provide some direction.

At the same time I think the challenge is that there can be big gray areas on what can and should qualify as "rare," especially with some figures--and that some are not common but also not quite rare. Plus the whole question of whether certain figures are genuinely rare or if they're just called rare because they were only available in a specific country.

Maybe instead of "rare" the terminology should be "location specific" or something like that? Although, I'm not sure if there's comprehensive knowledge about exactly which figures were limited to a specific location.

Yeah I am not at all stuck on "rare" as the given terminology. Just was the easiest term. I think the consensus is that most of the "rare" neons originated in France. I need to look up the old MIMP threads here and mine them for more data. 

I didn't know you were the one who created Little Weirdos. I used that site to create my Monstruos Mutante and Cromy MIMP checklist. Good stuff. 

#6 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

Yeah I am not at all stuck on "rare" as the given terminology. Just was the easiest term. I think the consensus is that most of the "rare" neons originated in France. I need to look up the old MIMP threads here and mine them for more data. 

Yeah, the trickiest ones I think are the lower point monsters. Some of those in certain colors seem to have been limited to specific areas as well, but since all the neons for those have a corresponding "regular" color, it's harder to say.

I didn't know you were the one who created Little Weirdos. I used that site to create my Monstruos Mutante and Cromy MIMP checklist. Good stuff. 

Yep! Glad you've found it useful. :)

#7 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

I'm on board with it...it would definitely be helpful if/when I start chasing after MIMP that aren't regular color Series 1 figures. General Veers and Soupie (as well as Universal Ruler Supreme, who hasn't been around for a while) did similar things with M.U.S.C.L.E. They might be able and willing to give advice for how to proceed with the MIMP rarity guide.

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#8 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

imho... I say leave it be, the class system of muscles ruined the hobby for a lot of people, and i think changed it for the worse.  Once you put the term uncommon or rare on any figure it brings a new group of people banking on it. Im sure people will be doing the same with MIMP.

Its obviously interesting to know which are HTF and why, but anyone outside of the hobby would care less about why and just care about asking the moon for a figure that is classified as rare or Uncommon.

:teehee:

#9 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

I agree with Eric. It's a two edged sword that is much sharper on the side you aren't using now.

#10 Metalmonkey

Metalmonkey

Ironhaus apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Collecting/making/talking about LRGs.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:11 AM

Yep. Cant help but feel the same.

bannerfans20blog2015.jpgbanner2015_1.jpg

#11 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:07 AM

Now that I think about it, Jon, Eric, and MetalMonkey are correct. Some MIMP are expensive enough without encouraging the Gollums, 12345s, and possibly Brojos of the world. Funny thing is, a guide to rarity always starts out with the best of intentions...

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

#12 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

I am not familiar with the path MUSCLE took as I have never collected it. Anyone care to fill me in?

#13 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

I am not familiar with the path MUSCLE took as I have never collected it. Anyone care to fill me in?

I believe they're just saying that as soon as we start labelling certain figures as 'rare' etc then it opens up the floodgates for certain people to start trying to manipulate prices, scam others, becomes obsessive/aggressive collectors etc. Things which have happened in the MUSCLE community more than likely.

The thing is though, haven't the rare/uncommon MIMP series 1 figures already been identified through such things as the previous rarity guides? If so, then how would creating a similar database version make much of a difference?

#14 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

The thing is though, haven't the rare/uncommon MIMP series 1 figures already been identified through such things as the previous rarity guides? If so, then how would creating a similar database version make much of a difference?

That's what I was thinking. The info is already out there and can be found if someone really cares to find it, just not in collected spreadsheet format (as far as I know). I think the harm might come if such a list were posted on a website for anyone to easily download--then it'd be more likely to fall in the hands of people who have no interest in MIMP, but have some they want to sell and want to make the most money while doing the least amount of research possible. 

Plus, MIMP prices are already crazy high. I guess it's possible for them to go higher, but I hope not!

#15 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

I believe they're just saying that as soon as we start labelling certain figures as 'rare' etc then it opens up the floodgates for certain people to start trying to manipulate prices, scam others, becomes obsessive/aggressive collectors etc. Things which have happened in the MUSCLE community more than likely.

That's what I thought Burty, but I agree with you. I was considering just posting it on my Facebook MIMP page or possibly just to people who requested it. I am not sure if the nuts will really be affected since they already pay crazy prices. Maybe it will affect crooked sellers. 

I am open to ideas to limit distribution if that would make a difference. I'd rather not pay even crazier prices, but would like to help the new collectors some. 

#16 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

I'm not trying to slight Al here, but these things have happened in the M.U.S.C.L.E. community--there's absolutely no ambiguity about it. Back when the old muscledb was around, it became so corrupted that it was absolutely useless as a gauge of a figure's rarity. Hell, it even showed figures in colors they were never produced in! And that was before the class system as we know it today was in widespread use. It's gotten so bad that I've seen fairly large M.U.S.C.L.E. lots with "Class A" in their headline, without one Class A actually being in the lot!

That makes for a pretty good segue into my next point. Yes, the nuts will continue to pay bat-shit-crazy prices regardless of what any guide says. I can see it affecting crooked sellers primarily as in the example listed above. In such a case, only a new collector whose knowledge base hasn't been built up--or one who just doesn't care, or is a complete d-bag--is likely to fall for it. And that's easily preventable by taking the time and effort to join this board and build up your knowledge base. (There are also ignorant sellers, such as those that say something to the effect of "I know nothing about these little toys" and then have to keep re-listing after nobody goes for their pie-in-the-sky Buy It Now price. In that case, umpteen re-lists are a somewhat appropriate punishment.)

Maybe I should just write the LRG Price Guide...that just might make prices fall (and yes, that would be my goal!).

Edited by Jet-Mech, 17 March 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#17 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:05 AM

It's a two edged sword that is much sharper on the side you aren't using now.

very eloquently put ;)

#18 Metalmonkey

Metalmonkey

Ironhaus apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Collecting/making/talking about LRGs.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

Simply, it would do more harm than good.

As Frank said, all this info is already available out there for anyone who looks hard enough.. And Id dare say most of those people would be die-hard fans and collectors and not sellers (who like to make as much money offa as little toys and time/effort needed to research the item that they can. Eg. 'Im selling this toy for $500. I have no idea what it is but its old and RARE).

Giving the sellers access to a list is an excuse for them to jack up prices & seems like arming them with a false sense of righteousness so they can justify their greed.
Some collectors become sellers, and vice versa, so theres no real way of stopping it from going viral and getting in the 'wrong' hands, sadly.

bannerfans20blog2015.jpgbanner2015_1.jpg

#19 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Monster in my pocket

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

I am going to chip in here. I am a die hard collector of G. I. Joes, Transformers, TMNT, and Gundams. All of these fields (except Gundams) have some of the worst scalpers out there. Instead of making a guide based off of rarity and price, why not make a guide that shows their origin. Yojoe.com is a good example of how they did it. It shows where the toy came from and what they are. That way, if its rare, then the seller would have to research it to find out. I am new to this and Behemoth helped me with a spread sheet. I at least want to know why I can't get a black ghost. I think he is rad. Now that I know he is a country exclusive, it makes more sense to me.

I say make a list about what it is (exclusive to where) and go from there. Plus most of the sites I have seen do not help in the slightest. Yes... I see that behemoth is blue... but where is he from grrrr... lol

Edited by thenerdieststore, 17 May 2014 - 03:58 PM.

"THOSE WHO LAY THEIR EYES ON A GUNDAM, SHALL NOT LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. Those was the orders I was given."

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#20 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

I am going to chip in here. I am a die hard collector of G. I. Joes, Transformers, TMNT, and Gundams. All of these fields (except Gundams) have some of the worst scalpers out there. Instead of making a guide based off of rarity and price, why not make a guide that shows their origin. Yojoe.com is a good example of how they did it. It shows where the toy came from and what they are. That way, if its rare, then the seller would have to research it to find out. I am new to this and Behemoth helped me with a spread sheet. I at least want to know why I can't get a black ghost. I think he is rad. Now that I know he is a country exclusive, it makes more sense to me.

I say make a list about what it is (exclusive to where) and go from there. Plus most of the sites I have seen do not help in the slightest. Yes... I see that behemoth is blue... but where is he from grrrr... lol

Isn't this clear enough already? 

http://monstercollec...om/series1.html

:ermm:

<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#21 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

I would love to assemble all the MIMP knowledge in one place. That would be really sweet. 

#22 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

Isn't this clear enough already? 

http://monstercollec...om/series1.html

:ermm:

As a color guide it is. I just wish we got more details on why and how. I was very interested in the pink cyclops debacle that happened on ebay and there are lots of knowledge about different releases and what not. I just wish more information could be in one spot. It is extremely hard to start something and not know what you are looking for. Plus that site stops after the first four sets. Pretty sure its missing a bunch. No tony the tiger, no 2006, etc. etc. How is a new guy supposed to know that? I had to go on a google rampage to see if mimp wrestlers were legit yesterday. All that frustration could have been saved.

I would love to assemble all the MIMP knowledge in one place. That would be really sweet. 

I say go ahead. Its better than buying a terrible book with no cover art *cough* lol Would it have all the package, games and ad types too? 

"THOSE WHO LAY THEIR EYES ON A GUNDAM, SHALL NOT LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. Those was the orders I was given."

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#23 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Problem is that I have zero knowledge as far as making websites. I will probably assemble it all into my facebook MIMP page and hopefully have time to learn how to create my own website. But that is all a pipe dream at the moment until I get into my new house and have some extra time. 

#24 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

Problem is that I have zero knowledge as far as making websites. I will probably assemble it all into my facebook MIMP page and hopefully have time to learn how to create my own website. But that is all a pipe dream at the moment until I get into my new house and have some extra time. 

If you want dude, I can try and help. I am very interested in this stuff myself. I made a facebook page for my G. I. Joe collection and its technically a museum page. I think its an easy concept. Picture of pink cyclops- exclusive U.S.A. - New Jersey Arcade Area (unsure about details on stores) and I am pretty sure if someone knows they will chime in and provide different information if they know it. As much as people can complain about prices going up and yadda yadda, this franchise is luckily frozen in time at the moment. Plus we don't have nearly as bad as a rarity issue as some groups. Peruvian mini transformers fetch over $1000 and Pimp Daddy Destro is a $3000 Joe. We are in the clear as far as I see it. Most expensive mimp I have seen in these forums so far was a little over $300? And most uncommons go for 10-75 quid... yeah thats chump change in my book :p my bad conditioned Estrela Cobra De Aco from Brazil was $140 lol and the going rate is $200 and he is pretty common. It would take years for prices to inflate, if they even did. 

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#25 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:33 PM

Sounds good. I will talk to you more about this in a PM. 

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com