• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:02 AM

I've been an Alien fan ever since junior high, when I used to draw the Aliens from the first Dark Horse Alien comic series. "Aliens" has always been my favorite Alien movie, and I was looking forward to getting an "Aliens"-specific version of the monster for my Queen Alien playset.

Company: McFarlane Toys
Size: Roughly 9" tall
Price: $12 at Suncoast
Packaging: Clamshell
Pics: Front, Side (from McFarlane.com)

Looks: 4 out of 5
McFarlane cut some corners by reusing parts from the previously released Alien from the Alien vs. Predator 2-pack. The only differences are in the head, forearms, and hands. But the sculpt is still incredible, and the brown wash brings out the important details.

Unfortunately, this figure has proportion issues like many of McFarlane's Aliens: the head is too small, the legs are too long, and the hands and feet are too large. Although it's good that they took some artistic license in making the creature look less like a dude in a suit (like the Aliens in the movie), if you're looking for a movie-still perfect rendition of the warrior Alien, you'll be disappointed.

Articulation: 4 out of 5
This figure sports many points of articulation: ball-in-socket neck, torso, shoulders, and ankles; swivel forearms, wrists, forelegs, and hips; hinge knees; and bendy tail. The hips are pretty useless, and adjusting the wrists just looks awkward. But everything else allows good posing potential.

Accessories: 0 out of 5
Warrior Alien comes with... nothing. It would be nice to include something like an egg and/or a face-hugger.

Value: 2 out of 5
It's a large figure, but $12 is quite a price to pay for a toy with no accessories. Additionally, the torso on my Warrior Alien seems to pop off very easily. Although it can be popped right back in, it happens EVERY FRIGGIN' TIME I pose it. Come on, Todd... get it together, man.

Coolness: 4 out of 5
This figure looks great with the Queen Alien. Also, most Alien figures are based on the first movie's design, so for me, it's great to get a monster from my favorite movie.

Overall: 3 out of 5
Although it's a great figure, it lacks any accessories and has a questionable value. If you already own the previous Alien, you might not want to drop $12 on this since it is essentially the same figure. But if you don't, or you're a big fan of the second movie, you'll probably enjoy the Warrior Alien.

#2 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:08 PM

this is pretty close to what I said about mine.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 05:39 AM

Oh yeah... I should have known that you had already reviewed this figure, since you're the big Alien freak on the board. Good review, by the way...

http://www.littlerub...=ST&f=13&t=7213

Edited by Tortle, 26 August 2004 - 05:40 AM.

#4 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 03:36 PM

Thanks - I noticed something about the figure that I think we both missed. its left forearm doesn't match its shoulder (you can't line them up).

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:57 AM

Yeah... you're right. Actually, the left shoulder is the exact same mold as the right one. This wouldn't be a problem if they sculpted the left arm to match the shoulder, but it doesn't look like there was any attempt to coordinate the sculpts. :excl:

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com