• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:32 PM

Well, I already gave the premise for G.I. Joe Valor vs. Venom today. Luckily, that premise does not apply to this current 2-pack of figures. I had a Duke figure when I was little (still got it), and it's the most generic soldier toy ever. Sadly, I never had one of Cobra Commander until today. Now, with this ultimate matchup, let's see who would REALLY win without the "Good Guys Always Win" formula.

Sculpt:

Cobra Commander: I daresay, even in this small scale Cobra Commander's sculpt is exquisite. It deviates from the GI Joe norm in tiny ways (an example being that his coat extends down past his waist), but still fits perfectly. Instead of wearing garish blue, CC has decided to go in his black dress uniform. it's got a ceremonial rope over the shoulders, a stylish overcoat that conceals body armor, and a holster for storing his service pistol. the holster is a little too large for CC's gun, and a little too small for everyone else's, but it's good enough. He has the classic silver metal mask, and it looks good. What more cna be siad about it?

Duke: Duke sucks. No, really, he sucks, his old generic soldier look was much better. Duke's outfit is all right - grey kevlar vest, brown sleeves, tan khakis with kneepads (and the sculpted-in hand grenades, GI joe insignia, et. all). he's shaped kinda funky - Duke's got broad shoulders and a tiny head, but a totally flat chest... so he kind of looks squashed. His face is hilarious - Duke resembles a Duke Nukem cosplayer without the sunglasses. Really, besides the super-generic face, he has the "I'm trying to be tough" facial expression. Blegh.

Paint Job: Believe it or not, the only misapplication that I could find was a small blotch of brown on Duke.

Articulation: GI Joe Standard for CC, but Duke has a deviation. In keeping with the toy industry's recent obsession with giving everyone and everything an action feature, Duke has "NUNCHUK-SWINGING ACTION!" Specifically, if you press a button in his butt, he swivels at the waist. When holding his included nunchuks, Duke can hit himself in the face. Or just sort of flail them at nothing. And, because of this mechanism, Duke also has a simple V-crotch for his leg articulation. Like I said, Duke sucks. At least he can dance if you hit the giant button in his butt... or, by extending his arms, give him the "SPAZ TORNADO ATTACK." it's the best that he can do.

Accessories: Aside from the normal black assault rifles that GI Joe figures come with, there are a few accessories that stand out with each figure.

Duke:
For starters, Duke has NUNCHUKS. Well, sort of. They're two plastic cylinders that are linked together. They're out of scale with Duke, have no chain, and don't swing well. Duke also comes with a weird wrist-thingy that supposedly works as a secret communicator and stores a few pistols. the pistols don't fit, and the thing is giganticly oversized. yet again, Duke sucks.

Cobra Commander:
Whereas Duke has sucky character-specific accessories, CC has awesome ones. Firstly, he's got a black and red cape that attaches to his back - although its kind of loose, it completes the Cobra Commander fashion ensemble. he also comes with an ornate gold staff - instead of being snake-shaped, the staff has a glowing green jewel/vial of venom on the top, crowned with a gold spike. it's an awesome, ornate accessory, and just plain looks cool. finally, there is CC's service pistol. it's a small gun with a long barrel and a silencer, and looks very good in his hands. Who needs fancy-schmancy super-rifles when a simply handgun is all it takes? Duke fires like a madman and swings unchuks wildly. Cobra aims and fires.

Pricing: The set goes for $4.85, which is relaly nice considering what you're getting. CC Alone would normally sell for that much.

GOtGM (1-10): 4. G.I. Joe carries with it both an inherent coolness and nerdy stigma.

Overall: 4.7 out of 5. Duke sucks, and if this were on his merits, the set would warrant a 2. however, Cobra Commander is such an awesome figure that I reccomend these toys. Just realize that the good guys are going to lose this time around.

Images (And alternate reviews):

Duke: http://www.generalsj...Wave9/duke.html

Cobra Commander: http://www.generalsj...acommander.html

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Imp

Imp

Cranky Gorillaz Gal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:59 AM

I may not normally respond to reviews...but what on G-d's green Earth is Duke doing with nunchucks? I always thought he was more a guns and fist kinda guy...

Too bad that the pic of Cobra Commander has colors that are slightly off. How else would you explain that he's wearing black, white, and hot pink?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Congratulations! Taxes, titles, licenses, and fees, not included.

My Live Journal. Because obviously you need to know how my day went. How's yours?

#3 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:14 PM

Actually, that's red. He's wearing black, grey, and red.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Juan

Juan

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:improv acting!!!

Posted 11 September 2004 - 05:36 PM

i think they need to bring duke back to his roots like the first figure that the figure started with. duke is one of favorite figures because he looks clean cut and still looked like he kick major butt. they just need to go with this figure and give it a facelift....by doing this everyone will like duke figure because we can all relate to it from a old school point of view but within the times of course.

Attached Files

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com