• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:02 PM

Yes, I did buy a lot of GI joes at once. No, I am not insane. Yes, I do genuinely enjoy them. I actually hadn't *noticed* their return until recently, and the rest is history. Anyway, this review encompassess the two opposing sides' respective computer geeks, Hi-Tech and Dr. Mindbender

Sculpt:

Hi-Tech: Hi-Tech is new to the G.I. joe series. he seems to be a replacement for Sci-Fi, Zap, and all of the other technobabbling laser gun-wielding troopers of the past. With that in mind, the little guy here has some mighty big shoes to fill. Although he's purely a scientist/tech dude, Hi-tech tries to make himself cool by growing his hair somewhat long - it actually serves to make him look "normal" as opposed to being a scientist dude. His outfit is overloaded wigth pouches and straps, which really doesn't make much sense when you realize that he probably spends most of his time in his office, at a computer. What does he keep in there, anyway? Field agents don't even need that much storage space! Anyway, hi-tech has a decent sculpt, it's just somewhat unusual for a guy whose main job is to figure things out from behind a closed door.

Dr. Mindbender: I bought this set for Mindbender. You know that I bought this set for Mindbender. 2004 envisions a brand new version of our favorite Russian scientist, specifically one that actually LOOKS like someone with a degree in whatever-works-for-the-episode. Previously, with his bare shirt, cape, purple pants, handlebar moustache, and monocle, Dr. Mindbender resembled nothing so much as a Pro Wrestler from the 1980s. understandably, hasbro chose to tweak a couple of details here and there. Dr. Mindbender now wears a whit elab coat with grey slacks, black gloves, and black boots. He wears glasses, and has a stylish fu manchu moustache - while still being familiar enough to be himself. Dr. Mindbender has gone from zany to diabolical very quickly. He's not the biggest figure in this toyline, but Mindbender also isn't that scrawny, either. I LOVE the new Mindbender sculpt. Let me reiterate: MINDBENDER GOOD.

Paint Job:

Hi-Tech: Hi-tech's coloration is kind of odd, and mine has a few flaws fresh out of the packaging. overall, the reds, greys, and blues make Hi-Te ch just sort of meld in with the crowd of widlly-colored joes.

Dr. Mindbender: Mindbender's paint job is fantastic. take his face, for example - his face has a smug little smirk on it, and the eyes are painted to reflect that! he looks like an excellent evil mad scientist, and I am very impressed.

Articulation: Typical Joe articulation for both figures.

Accessories:

Hi-Tech: besides the usual gund, knives, and wrist communicator, Hi-tech also comes with a MASSIVE mounted gun station. The turret contains both a gatling gun and a rocket launcher - which actually fires a missile (yay! play value!). Although it's not something that Hi-Tech is gonna lug around on a campaign somewhere in Iraq, its use is obvious - when Cobra invades GI Joe headquarters, they're gonna have to answer to him.

Mindbender: Dr. Mindbender's only weapons are two silver pistols, but he does come with other (cool) accessories. Firstly, Mindbender comes with two teeny-tiny test tubes which are very easily lost... but they connect to his laptop. Yes, Dr. mindbender comes with a realistically-styled laptop computer that actually opens and closes. it's very well detailed, with a colored screen and decent keys - I can even pick out the spacebar! Honestly, the laptop alone is as cool as Hi-Tech's gun. I'm a sucker for realism, and now I can pose Dr. Mindbender to simulate... well, my average day. I wonder if it's IBM or Toshiba.

Pricing: At roughly $5, this set is very, very good. You get a ton of accessories an two cool figures.

GotGm (1-10): 2. It's not even that offensive or childish-looking... except maybe for Hi-Tech's odd ensemble.

Overall: 4.7 out of 5. Although Hi-Tech is so-so, Dr. Mindbender is the reason to buy this set! I know that I sound oddly enthusiastic, but they really did a good job with him.

Hi-Tech:

http://yojoe.com/act...04/hitech.shtml
http://www.generalsj...ve9/hitech.html

Dr. Mindbender:

http://yojoe.com/act...ndbender5.shtml
http://www.generalsj...mindbender.html

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com