• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:18 PM

Well, this one's a few years old, and I have no freaking clue how I'm gonna fit its title into my signature (just say G.I. Joe 3-pack?), but it's too good to not bring up. technically, it's the 2-pack of General Hawk (tomahawk these days) and The Headman (the iiiinfamous drug dealer) with an extra Duke figure as a K-Mart exclusive. the three figures have so much character, though, that I would indeed suggest going to e-bay for this set.

General clayton Abernathy, better knwon as General hawk, is the G.I. Joe leader - yes, he outranks Duke. due to copyright issues, Hasbro has had to call him General Tomahawk and General Abernathy, but we all know him as Hawk. Since Abernathy is his real name, though, that moniker is acceptable - Tomahawk just makes him sound like an American Indian for some reason.

The Headman made his debut in the famous two-part episode of the cartoon where the Joes and Cobra teamed up to take down a massive drug empire. Headman was an excellently overdone, scenery-chewing, super-crazy drug-dealing villain, and he met a rather poetic demise in the cartoon (he got a load of pure drugs dumped on him. bye-bye, Headman). His original figure was pretty cool and I'm glad for the repaint.

Duke is Duke. sometimes the extra figure is Cobra Commander, sometimes it's Duke. I got Duke, so he'll be included in the review.

Sculpt:

Hawk: General Hawk's sculpt is awesome. for one thing, he actually looks like a military person, which makes him stand out among the G.I. Joes. His face has a serious expression, and to be honest Hawk looks like he's going to take out the Terrordrome any day now. General Hawk was always one of my favorite characters, and I'm glad that he finally has an action figure that doesn't make him look like a goofy astronaut.

Headman: Headman's sculpt is just great. He's got a 1930s gangster suit, a fedora, a black mask, and a ponytail. Although nobody's gonna be fooled into thinking that he's a good guy, the drug dealer's sculpt is just loaded with personality. The old Headman was a great figure, and I'm glad that he got resurrected in the new line. Note that the old sculpt is still being used, probably because it's all that's needed.

Duke: Duke looks like a real, live, soldier, but he also looks kine of plain. His sculpt is weighed down with the copious amounts of gear that an actual soldier uses, but the ultimate effet is that Duke looks like Dusty, or Grunt, or pretty much any footsoldier besides who he's meant to be. However, the figure serves a purpose as a "normal" Joe trooper.

Paint Job:

Hawk: The General's paint job is awesome - it looks realistic (except for some of the green, and there are no errors that I can think of. It's good to see some Joe figures that look more like soldiers than superheroes.

Headman: Headman's original paint job gave him a black suit with gold pinstripes, and blonde hair - although his moustache and goatee have always been black. The new version eliminates the pinstripes and puts him in pimpin' orange. While I miss the pinstripes, I love the Headman's new color scheme - it just adds even more personality to his already excellent sculpt. Although, they did give him a cobra logo on his coat pocket for no reason.

Duke: Duke is definitely outfitted for desert combat, and remember what I said about Dusty? the same applies here. He's a great generic trooper, just not the field commander of the Joes.

Articulation:

All three of them have regular Joe articulation, EXCEPT for Duke, who does not have the typical waist and leg articulation - even though he doesn't have an action feature, he lacks an O-Ring. I know that this is how the new Joes were at the beginning, but it does take a little bit away from their play value. And again, Duke is now officially a grunt.

Accessories:

The three figures come with a good assortment of gund, a knife, two backpacks, and a cell phone. The backpacks (good to see those make their return) belong to Hawk and Duke, and the phone is Duke's. I also especially like the modified tommygun (well, it's technically a grenade launcher) that Headman comes with, which just adds even MORE personality to the guy.

Pricing: E-bay standard for this set is about $10, which isn't too bad. These are some excellent figures.

GOtGM (1-10): 2. Nothing offensive.

Overall: 4.8 out of 5. I love this set. No, really - the only problem with this set is Duke's silly lack of articulation, but since he's technically an add-on bonus figure, it really doesn't detract. Really, if you're a Joe fan, you need this set. Not only does it have the absolute best representation of General Hawk so far, but it also comes with a pretty unique Gangster.

Hawk:

http://yojoe.com/act...tomahawk2.shtml

Headman:

http://yojoe.com/act.../headman2.shtml

Duke:

http://yojoe.com/act...02/duke10.shtml

Edited by Ridureyu, 21 September 2004 - 03:34 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com