• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts, Battle Beasts,Anything Beastformer, Insects,Bugs and arachnids.

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:13 PM

Im curious if anyone else managed to get some of these rare pieces?

I waited 7+ years and no luck, so i spoiled myself a LITTLE bit hahaha.

Attached File  Screenshot_20191210-140720_Photos.jpg   197.42K   107 downloads

I also got Fennec but stuck in customs forever lol

Edited by 108KickBack, 10 December 2019 - 03:14 PM.

#2 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:58 PM

One word: IMPRESSIVE ;)

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#3 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:17 AM

Wow, that's incredible. Is "YJA" Yahoo Japan or something? I forget the acronyms. Weird that it's all in English- where were these typically released?

Edited by Jabroniville, 30 December 2019 - 01:43 AM.

#4 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts, Battle Beasts,Anything Beastformer, Insects,Bugs and arachnids.

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:45 PM

Yea Yahoo Japan Auctions.

Too be honest not a lot of info on these in general.

To my knowledge.

They were released in small amounts in France , Sweden and Finland in actual stores.United states got some aswell but from what i read only a handful of hasbro employees got them in united states.

And in Japan there have been 2 batches of Of them for sale that i know of.This year and the other 7+ years ago. And both being english cards.

Not sure if they were going to be stores samples or actual store stock?

Maybe one day a Beastformers Blog Post with more info on the Battle Chargers in general?

#5 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 17 December 2019 - 10:38 AM

Too be honest not a lot of info on these in general.

True although we do know quite a bit about the Shield Battlers in general by now, but the most questions that remain are (as often) related to the packaging and release areas/periods. And that´s also the case with those cards. I´m 99% sure they´re US Cards and that they´ve ended up for sale in Japan either because a former Takara employee who for some reason had those around, most likely in the original box based on the amounts and sets of them. Maybe Takara received them in order to explore whether it might´ve been a packaging type suitable for the Japanese market instead of the Shield Battler box set. Let´s not forget that in ´88 they´re still exploring some packaging types as the prototype packages for the single BB figs have shown. From that point of view it´d not be weird Takara would also be reconsidering packaging the Shield Battlers loose in which case this packaging for the US market might´ve been an idea. So that´s one option of how they could´ve ended up in Japan and the other is via a collector who´s simply been in the position to buy them from, most likely, a former Hasbro employee in the US. Let´s not underestimate the amount of serious collectors in Japan for various toy lines so for every big collector, also in Japan, a chance to purchase those Shield Battler packages in those large numbers would´ve been a great score/find. Either way it´s good to see most of them stay around within the community now and they´ve made it back to the US. Again congrats 108KickBack!

To add the Shield Battler single packs for the EU and UK market were (slightly) different than the US versions so for that reason there´s not much doubt about the actual origin or supposed release area of these cards. Like this they´re definitely not for the Japanese market. But whether they´re actually released in the US like a very local/restricted test release or whether they´re samples that never made it to the market is still questionable. Based on the completeness of the packaging it´s not very likely they´re samples because they´re all complete and not missing any crucial markings or whatever. And although they remain rare they are around in numbers that exceed a test run imho. So with everything that´s known as of know I tend to say it´s either been a very short release or they´re simply never released because something happened before that. We all know at some point the whole BB and LB line suddenly died so there is a possibility these might´ve been the major victims of that with the plug being pulled just before or shortly after these Shield Battler packages were going to hit the market in the US. Maybe we´ll find out someday... 

Maybe one day a Beastformers Blog Post with more info on the Battle Chargers in general?

It´s possible to write out a general post about them but posts with scattered or incomplete information aren´t very helpful so let´s hope more puzzle pieces will show up and things will make more sense.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#6 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 06:45 PM

I remember a bunch of these popped up on ebay over 10yrs ago or so. I think a couple of the highend collectors at the time bought them all.

#7 yaggi482

yaggi482

Serious Collector

• 460 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:25 PM

Wow, congrats.  I picked up a Brown Lion in the batch that surfaced 7-ish years ago.

I totally missed these.  What did they end up going for?

Edited by yaggi482, 15 February 2020 - 02:27 PM.

#8 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:11 PM

Wow, congrats.  I picked up a Brown Lion in the batch that surfaced 7-ish years ago.

I totally missed these.  What did they end up going for?

The prices varied(He sold a large amount 2-3 Moc every 2 weeks aprox.) For a couple months .At the beginning the prices were in the 150000 - 200000Y range and towards the end 40000 -120000y range . I never paid more than a 1000 USD shipped for any of the ones i bought.

#9 Flashbax

Flashbax

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Head writer/editor for ToyRobot Magazine

Owner at Flashbax Toy Store

Transformers, Transforming robots, Godzilla, Dino Riders, D&D

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:06 PM

I was beyond lucky to nab a Battle Charger package from Finland a few weeks back (via facebook) (also my first time having non-us laser beasts)

87344014_10156537239731152_5826023717121

Just a dude that loves collecting

#10 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:42 PM

Hi Flashbax, nice score, congrats!

Could you share a picture of the backside of the card so we´ll be able to check a few more details.

It´s know that they´re around in Finland but it´s not completely clear via which company they´re distributed and since it´s probably a card in English it might give us a bit of a clue. Thanks

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#11 Flashbax

Flashbax

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

Hi Flashbax, nice score, congrats!

Could you share a picture of the backside of the card so we´ll be able to check a few more details.

It´s know that they´re around in Finland but it´s not completely clear via which company they´re distributed and since it´s probably a card in English it might give us a bit of a clue. Thanks

No problem, here you go!

This is new territory for me as I NEVER thought I'd get around to getting the harder to get items. It's a long journey on these, figure it'll be a min. 5 years before i can finish the LBs unless I come into some real $$$.

Attached Files

#12 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:06 PM

So interesting to see the different details on packages !Thanks for sharing.

#13 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:08 AM

Nice, that´s the ¨Sonnengladiatoren¨ cardback which is one that´s relatively rare because for years only that name has going around but there´s no real evidence of them actually existing. A while ago I found the cardback myself which was the German version, the country where the Sonnengladiatoren name came from but that card also had Sonnengladiatoren on the front, and also the backside of the cards is composed a bit different. So the one you have there seems to be a bit of an oddly composed version because it holds the Battle Charger line on the front... The other text on front side is in German as well?! Can´t tell because the picture you shared initially is a bit small.

Interesting because this brings another puzzle piece to the bigger puzzle of how some of these Laser Beasts were spread out over Europe, although it´s not making it much easier knowing there are more variations in the details...

Thanks for the pics!

Edited by Beastformers, 27 February 2020 - 05:09 AM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#14 Flashbax

Flashbax

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:53 PM

Nice, that´s the ¨Sonnengladiatoren¨ cardback which is one that´s relatively rare because for years only that name has going around but there´s no real evidence of them actually existing. A while ago I found the cardback myself which was the German version, the country where the Sonnengladiatoren name came from but that card also had Sonnengladiatoren on the front, and also the backside of the cards is composed a bit different. So the one you have there seems to be a bit of an oddly composed version because it holds the Battle Charger line on the front... The other text on front side is in German as well?! Can´t tell because the picture you shared initially is a bit small.

Interesting because this brings another puzzle piece to the bigger puzzle of how some of these Laser Beasts were spread out over Europe, although it´s not making it much easier knowing there are more variations in the details...

Thanks for the pics!

I can try to get better pics if you need :)

Again, I was just ecstatic to start getting some of the non-USA stuff. 

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com