Theme© by Fisana

Highest Reputation Content

#608798 MIMP Star Monster captured!

Posted by fkro6784 on 20 March 2015 - 12:17 PM

So guys, I found a Star Monster.

I FOUND A STAR MONSTER!

Here's the deal:  I regularly purchase MIMP lots for figures I need, and whenever I get new ones in I put all the extras in a big bag containing smaller bags separated by color, not usually paying much attention to them. I stored this monster in there at some point (not certain when or what lot exactly I got it from) without even noticing the back of it. The other day, I was going through my duplicates and comparing the condition of them with the versions in my master set, turned around one of the purple Jotun Trolls, and noticed it looked off. Upon closer inspection, there it was. A star! I couldn't believe it, and am still so excited about it.

First, I do not intend to sell this figure, so please no offers or inquiries about buying it. I am posting this just to share the news with my fellow collectors here.

Second, you will notice the star looks different than it did on the neon purple Star Monster that was sold here late last year, which I'm sure most know was the first time an example of any Star Monster was ever publicly shared. I have no idea what the reason for that is, but the two examples are considerably different. On this one, there is a circle set into the back of the figure, with a very slightly raised star inside the circle. On top of the star is a slightly-raised "20," which is quite a bit narrower and in a different sort of type than the "20" on a normal Jotun Troll. It seems like they would have had to have a unique mold for this figure, considering the very different way the star and point value are treated.

Okay, now here are photos I took of the figure, showing the star from different angles:

star2.jpg

And here's a comparison shot of a normal purple Jotun alongside the Star Monster (they are both regular purple, just some slight variation in shade as can happen with MIMP):

star.jpg

I have no doubt this is a legit figure as I don't know how it would be possible for someone to fake it the way the area is treated--it's so different from the normal point value.

It was really a huge thrill to discover it, especially since I've wanted to find one ever since the first time I looked at the back of a MIMP package when I was 6 years old.

So don't forget to always check your Jotuns. These beasts are out there waiting to be found!

#485663 Let's have a little come-to-Jesus...

Posted by ironmask on 28 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Allow me to take you back to a time, that we all remember... It took place on a different calendar day for each of us, but the heart-and-soul of the matter stays the same: The day we rediscovered our respective loves for MUSCLE. We all went through the process of remembering these things, thinking about them fondly enough, and making the active decision to search them out to try to rebuild a collection.

In searching MUSCLE out, we'd invariably find pictures of ones that we remember having as well as ones we always wished we had. We'd research what they are, and find them on eBay or on forums like this one, and try to rebuild our collections. The fact that we are all here, reading this post, is indicative that we all found more than we bargained for. We set out to purchase toys, and we wound up collecting new friends and acquaintances through the process of building our collections. We get really stoked on collecting, and come up with grand designs on how we'd like to shape our collection... We come up with ways to extend the collecting process to make the thrill of the hunt last longer, while trying to educate ourselves about the form in general.

And then, as it always does, shit hits the fan. I'd like to believe that the "shit" in question can be summed up in one word ("greed", but there is also a lot of hubris), but in reality what happened to MUSCLE collecting, happens on a cycle and most of us that have been around for years have see that cycle repeat several times. There are mind-boggling trends that have fallen on the MUSCLE community, and the community as a whole seems to cosign on the behavior. Those who disagree, just fell out of the hobby. Those who were ambivalent stuck around, and I believe unwittingly bartered down ethics of the community in a handshake-with-the-devil for the sole purpose of keeping the hobby alive.

Breaches in the ethical boundaries of the community always happened... If you go back to the pioneer days of the AKIA (pre LRG) you still had the shill bidding, price gouging, taking advantage of newjacks, and people artificially driving up the prices of figures for their own monetary gain. You had members trying to manipulate the database to make common figures look more rare (to sell at a profit), or to make rarer figures look more common (to purchase, then resell at a profit). The fact that there is a lot of shady shit going on around MUSCLE collecting is nothing new... The widespread acceptance of it, however, is.

The bullshit that has become commonplace in the MUSCLE community, has driven a lot of people out of collecting. People bargain down their own expectations for their personal collections, just to avoid that breakdown in ethics being displayed by the fish-headed majority. That majority is actually a MINORITY, but only seems like a majority because nobody stands up to them. Real talk: people have looked away for so long in the interest of "just getting along", that they have stood back and watched the hobby turn into a psychotic shit-show OR just left the hobby all together.

I have noticed that people are more or less stalking each other on eBay, that they are buying lots at inflated prices, and then turning around once the value has been artificially augmented and reselling their doubles/triples/quintuples/etc for that higher inflated rate... Hell, even that purple claw's value is known to be an artificial value generated by Alex Forbes, who has been ostracized from the community to the point that we're not even supped to invoke his name! But for some reason, the greedy machinations left behind in his wake are considered acceptable? This makes zero sense. People on the board are doing the same shit that he was banned for, but I guess they are just smart enough to do it incrementally.

People tout that Class A's are so valuable, and the price only goes up... But when there are enough of the common Class A's that there is discussion that maybe some of the Class A's aren't as valuable and may actually be "Class B's"? Well, that conversation gets swept under the rug. We can't dare use the information, that we as a community (Namely Veers and Soupie) compiled (not for monetary reasons, but to understand the origins of the hobby better) to lower our artificially high prices... We can only use it to gouge the prices up higher? Right? Pfff

And don't even get me started on how Uncommon MUSCLE auctions go for 1:1 MUSCLE prices... The MUSCLE community doesn't accept the concept of "outliers"... Somebody pays 20% more than the value of a figure, then forevermore that becomes the value... We can't accept that it was some dummy paying a lot more than the figure was worth (and then move on).

MUSCLE collecting has become a drag, and to be frank, I am sick of it. MUSCLE, at one point in time, was the thing that brought almost all of us together.

We're ruining it, one shady interaction, shill bid, rule-of-two auction, and bold faced lie at a time.
Hell, maybe I am just the self-appointed sheriff of LRG... But I honestly feel less like that, and more like a friend who just found out that his best friend is a junkie.
It just f@#$ing sucks.

#660579 Custom MIMP display unit

Posted by Metalmonkey on 06 August 2016 - 09:20 PM

Hey gang,

Been a while since posting here but had to share this.
I finally completed my master set of Matchbox series 1 MIMP, thanks to some really awesome friends while helped me out along the way.
To celebrate, I made this custom MIMP shrine.
Hope you guys like it! It was a labour of love.

MM-

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

#641930 A HUGE thank you to everyone

Posted by Pran on 20 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

Hey Gang,

I just wanted to gave a big thanks to everyone here and everyone who helped me finish my flesh collection.  It took roughly 6 months to complete.  If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask :)

Next up...

Army Ants and Series 1 Battle Beasts :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160120_154013.jpg

#595640 The birth of a monster - Tug O' War

Posted by PlasticSoul on 30 November 2014 - 12:15 PM

This thread will all be behind the scenes stuff about the process of designing and sculpting then producing Tug O' War. I often get asked questions about this stuff so i figured anyone interested in that aspect might appreciate everything laid out in one spot. 

Usually the original idea and design change significantly from concept to execution and that is exactly what happened with this monster. Here is the first quick sketch of the idea. Basically a monster with a tug boat on it's back used to disguise itself as it swims around looking for whaling ship to destroy.

TugOwar.jpg

Once the idea itself was approved work began. Of course basic changes take place throughout the entire process. Stuff like the pose being made more dynamic and other various details as well. Some stuff because it simply doesn't work well in clay but mostly because as weeks and months go by you just come up with better ideas along the way.

The head and torso took shape first. Both done roughly but when you sculpt in actual size for a mini-figure you really need to go step by step or things get much to big and ruin the scale easily. Using a clay that you cook in an oven makes it simple to cook as you go and add raw clay over whatever piece is finished. Overall the sculpt was probably cooked well over a dozen times before it was finished.

awip4.JPG

Then the hands came next which i had planned as the most detailed part of the monster from the very beginning. Something about the idea of a mostly smooth sea monster with skin like a shark seemed to work well with the contrast of some armored scales and tons of detail and texture on the hands. 

atug1.jpg

atug3.jpg

Then the arms which changed a lot from the original idea because i decided i wanted more of a muscular monster look rather then what you normally see with a classic giant monster. Obviously a lot of the creatures design comes from all the old japanese monster movies i love but at the same time i am always influenced by cool stuff from childhood like Street Sharks and Insectors. Which is why Tug O' War has so much muscle.

ajunetug1.JPG

Next the legs and the boat were made. The legs i made as short and stocky as possible since it is mostly a sea creature and the boat was designed to look like a cross between a tug boat and a toy boat since i didn't want any part of this figure to be hyper-realistic. I always lean towards the overall look of a toy rather then a model just because that's what i like.

amon1.jpg

Then it all came together. The tail was a must otherwise i couldn't see this thing actually swimming and the shards of ice and crystals around the boat are just because if the monster was underwater and the boat was above the water it would look really cool. Plus it makes more sense because the boat has to be attached somehow.

awar1.JPG

awar2.JPG

awar3.JPG

awar4.JPG

awar8.JPG

One thing i always tell everyone who asks for tips is just not to give up. This thing took months and months and changed over and over along the way. There were plenty of setbacks and mistakes. A couple breaks and one bad air bubble. There is no big secret to making a cool monster. It's just practice and time and effort and not quitting even when you really feel like it. You have to love what you're doing. It probably won't ever pay off as far as money for your time or anything else really tangible. All the effort and time and stress is worth it for me when i get a bunch of my toys in the mail to play with and when people tell me they liked what i created and when i see it on someone's shelf next to other toys i think are awesome. That's the payoff and for me it's well worth it. 

#525561 Rarest premiums

Posted by Leviathan on 24 August 2013 - 02:59 AM

I´ve also got my 2 last missing figures from this seller and they are mint&legit, my collection is complete.

If you haven`t seen already on my Instagram this is the first result of photographing the group.

9479893154_6c1b9a48e4_n.jpg

#643225 Yo Adrian! I did it! (Weirdball Wrestlers complete)

Posted by TheRiddler on 01 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

So after years of collecting I have finally completed my weird ball wrestlers set. Thanks everyone who helped over the years!!!

image.jpeg

#640656 Draznar's collection

Posted by Draznar on 09 January 2016 - 06:35 AM

I finally decided to get around to scrapping my ancient collection thread, and starting anew. My tastes have changed, my dwelling has changed, and so naturally my collection has also changed. (By a whole lot.)

This isn't everything I have on display, but one of my displays is waiting on some risers to look really sharp. (Right now it just looks cluttered.) A few are just straight up dusty so I want to give them a little cleaning before posting. ;)

collect1.jpg

My Battle Beast collection, (which many of you have seen by now, I'm sure). One away from a totally complete set! (Including variants.)

collect2.jpg

collect3.jpg

collect4.jpg

A few pictures of my mini Pac Man display. My wife custom painted it for me, and I custom painted the Isz on the inside as a "psycho" Pac Man.

collect5.jpg

This picture didn't turn out, but due to the lighting of my place, I doubt it ever will. My Starcraft figures, (ON CARD!?), that I found in the wild for $10 a pop. Pretty sweet deal. My two favourite Transformers comic covers, and our Lego Dimensions stuff. (That's more of a family collection.)

collect7.jpg

My full detolf!

collect8.jpg

My Not-Abominus, (Unique Toys Ordin), with some BMOG, Candy Beast Wars figures, Decoys, etc.

collect9.jpg

One of my all-time favourite Transformers characters is Cosmos. (He's a goddamn UFO!) I currently have every sculpt of him ever made except for TWO! (Both Japanese variants.) And a few other favourite figures/characters.

collect10.jpg

One of my favourite pieces in my entire collection, The Tako Tank with Ikard. I've also got some beast Wars minis up front, as well as some of those newer minis from the various generations.

collect11.jpg

Here's a nice vintage shelf. The Pretenders are one of my favourite lines from Transformers, and these are, naturally, some of the best. (In my humble opinion.) There's also a really cool Tomy Tribot in there, (the black figure), and my all-time favourite combiner, Piranacon. I'm trying to pick up one each of his variants, but it's hard to do on the cheap. For the trained eye, you'll notice two parts of the King Poseidon combiner in there too.

That's it for now! More to come after some cleaning/sorting!

#650238 New Ghostbusters companion ghosts guide!

Posted by fkro6784 on 20 March 2016 - 01:22 PM

This is something I've been working on for about a year now. When I started going after a full set of Real Ghostbusters companion ghosts, I noticed there wasn't a guide or checklist out there for them, so I photographed mine and pieced together this document as I went along. Finally finished it now that I'm done with my set!

In addition to photos of all of them I included name, series, year, and what figure or vehicle each came packaged with.

The only ones I don't own are the Ecto-Glow Heroes ghosts, which I'm pretty okay with since they were just repaints anyway. For the guide I was able to find auction photos of those that I could work with. 

I hope you guys find it helpful!

PDF DOWNLOAD:

Attached File  Ghostbusters_CompanionGhostGuide_FINAL.pdf   1.22MB   84 downloads

And for fun, here's a pic of the whole gang I just took today:

25309988984_0c0f3a2a58_c.jpg

#610660 MIMP Star Monster captured!

Posted by fkro6784 on 01 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

The Star Monster got himself an entourage. 

17003793921_c72ab24bb5_c.jpg

#492176 Custom Boutonnieres

Posted by Doctor Dew on 27 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

I posted last year about needing some minifigures for a project for my wedding in October. And thanks to some helpful and generous members, I was able to get exactly what I wanted!

A slight divot was made in the back of the toy and a magnet was inserted. Another magnet was attached to a backing piece stuck on the inside of the material. That way they stayed in place without damaging any suits or dresses.

Yellow Manzilla for me, purple Muscleman for the best man and yellow minifigures for the rest of the groomsgang. Here are the final products (in special fancy wedding photography pictures):

Posted Image

#631664 Found a Black Emperor today.

Posted by CaffeineSanta on 26 September 2015 - 09:00 PM

Hey guys, been awhile. I was bored in Eugene today, so I decided to hit up a new toy store in the larger town next to mine. Picked up every MUSCLE the guy had, and when I was going through them just now, I found this guy. He looked unfamiliar, so I decided to look him up on here. Apparently, he's the Black Emperor :D

I've attached some pics, but since I know how skeptical you all can be about this kind of thing, I already let Eric Nilla know that I might be sending him the figure for legitimacy confirmation ;)

It's definitely MUSCLE rubber, and not Kinkeshi rubber. Pretty exciting!

Attached Thumbnails

• BE1.jpg
  • BE2.jpg

Copyright © 2019 LittleRubberGuys.com