#1 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

It's been awhile since I've dropped a review of any kind on here! I've been busy with a multitude of things, (the addition to my family back in late October as an example), but I've finally found a figure I really wanted to share with everyone!

So now I bring you my review and comparison of Generations: Rhinox, (compared with "vintage" Rhinox).

Attached File  20140215_120644.jpg   439.68K   17 downloads

The packaging, for those of you who have seen or collect transformers, is pretty standard Voyager packaging for this line. He looks good in the package, if I must say so myself!

Attached File  20140215_132739.jpg   190.25K   24 downloads

Here is a direct comparison in regards to looks and size from Generations to "vintage." As you can see, the newer one is significantly larger and actually looks like a friggin' rhino. I still, to this day, do not understand the reasoning behind that horrible looking original rhino. Regardless, this new one looks absolutely awesome.

Attached File  20140215_132911.jpg   334.63K   15 downloads

Next to zero robot kibble hanging out of the beast mode, and even the two gatling guns are folded up nicely inside of the body of the rhino. I am really impressed with this!

Attached File  20140215_141917.jpg   285.7K   6 downloads

Another thing that is a nice little tidbit: A little nub to swing the hands out. Those of you that remember my FOC Soundwave review might remember my complaint about the minor difficulty in pulling the hands back out. This prevents that problem entirely, and that is awesome.

Attached File  20140215_142829.jpg   283.73K   12 downloads

I realize now I didn't take a closer picture of the new Generations Rhinox head, but here is the old one. This is his "mutant" head. I had a close up of the head without the mutant face but I seemed to have lost it on my PC and I don't really want to take another one.

Attached File  20140215_142900.jpg   352.37K   23 downloads

Another size comparison between new and old. You can see the significant height difference as well as several minor details. Now he has two, show-accurate guns as opposed to one inaccurate gun and a random tail-sword. Not to mention kibble from the beast mode is almost completely eliminated, and the figure looks pretty dang identical to his TV show counter-part.

I got this figure for free, (won some gift cards at work), so at that price point, I love this figure. But to be honest, I would be disappointed with it at the $29.99 he retails for here in Canada. Here is why:

- His hip joint is terrible. It doesn't lock in, so you have to balance him properly on your shelf and hope to god nobody knocks it. If that happens, he is likely taking a tumble.

- A lot of the joints are fastened by pins. I've heard a lot of people online complaining about the pins breaking. This is unacceptable for a figure in the $29.99 category, in my opinion. Mine, unfortunately, has a loose knee-joint because of this.

This is also unacceptable:

Attached File  20140215_132813.jpg   318.56K   21 downloads

The bottom jaw, from what I could tell, does not lock into place. So this frequently happens in beast mode. It ruins an otherwise awesome beast mode.

There are a lot of other things, however, that I love. Such as:

- all show accuracy details such as size, robot/beast modes, weapons, etc

- Fun, somewhat challenging but entertaining transformation

I also took a size comparison picture with the original Optimus Primal because I was impressed to see that Rhinox was actually relatively accurately sized in that regard also! In the show, he is only a little bit smaller than Primal. So it was nice to see a closer height gap than before. The previous figure was as tall as what Rattrap would've been!

Attached File  20140215_142332.jpg   337.72K   12 downloads

Overall: I love this figure. It has it's problems, which sucks, but I would rather have an awesome, updated figure than be stuck with the original. While I love the original for it's terrible charm, it is great to have a more accurate version. As for quality control, I saw 4 at my local TRU and none seemed to have any issues. I'm hearing reports that it can be a hard-to-find figure, and I would agree with that. My TRU took months to get the 4 they had in, and my local Wal-mart only received one after the same wait. I would also only truly reccommened this figure for die-hard Beast Wars fans AND if you could get it on sale! (Or "free" like myself!)

Edited by Draznar, 20 February 2014 - 07:57 PM.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#2 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

It's Rhinolicious!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com