• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RedMoaiMan

RedMoaiMan

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Collecting M.U.S.C.L.E. figures, making unique ooak art dolls, and what ever else catches my interests/inspires my creativity.

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:08 PM

I wonder how much it costs to fake chrome toys? The type of shiny fake chrome on toy cars, Transformers, etc...I've got a couple of Marvel Handful of Heroes on the way, one of them is Ironclad. I want to make him chrome-shiny. Does anyone have any info on how the process is done, or how much it costs? Or if this is too cost prohibitive/more trouble than it's worth, a good chrome like paint for plastic?

#2 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

It is actually chrome, even on toy cars.

You can order kits online to do it yourself, and there are instructional videos on YouTube. I would suggest watching a couple before you decide if you want to attempt it.

It requires painting the piece with a paint that contains metal particles, and then placing it in the chroming solution while running an electrical current through, just like chroming metal.

I have watched a couple of videos of guys re-chroming Transformers parts, just out of curiosity.

#3 sanjeev

sanjeev

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:29 PM

Yeah, I've kinda always wanted to try electroplating at home...but it's a pretty involved process, from what I understand. There are chrome paints like Molotow or Born Pretty (a nail polish brand), but you literally cannot touch the finish; otherwise, it'll destroy the mirror finish. Can't topcoat it with a sealer either--that'll kill the finish too. Still...that sort of paint has the best look (if unmarred). I've seen Micronaut heads repainted with the stuff...and it's not easy to distinguish it from legit vintage ones in good shape.

Your best bet for something that will be handled--y'know...like a toy--would probably be Monster Kolor paint. That stuff is expensive (you have to buy one of their brilliant silver paints, plus a clear coat), but it'll look damn good and be rock solid. If that's too pricey, then I'm sure there are automotive vinyl sprays out there that would be okay for most plastics...

--
Sanjeev

instagram

blog

#4 RedMoaiMan

RedMoaiMan

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Collecting M.U.S.C.L.E. figures, making unique ooak art dolls, and what ever else catches my interests/inspires my creativity.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:34 PM

:thanks:

#5 Bigmantoys

Bigmantoys

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:51 AM

I'm no expert but the Micronauts community is all over REALLY GOOD chroming products. I've seen people get really impressive chrome-fakery using Molotow chrome paint pens before.

www.bigmantoys.co.uk

If you've ever seen a one trick pony then you've seen me.

#6 RedMoaiMan

RedMoaiMan

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:16 PM

I'm no expert but the Micronauts community is all over REALLY GOOD chroming products. I've seen people get really impressive chrome-fakery using Molotow chrome paint pens before.

Yeah...But the trouble I keep hearing is sealing it without ruining the chrome-like shine...Or it rubbing off.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com