#1 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

Fistful of Power already failed, the Boogaz look idiotic and I don't want to know what that finger does, but here's a Moose toyline with some merit, and heck, some educational value as well. I only wish I'd found them (well, more of them) sooner.

The premise is simple enough, and actually similar to Boogaz I think. You get an egg, rip off two (!) layers of plastic to get to it though, and let it soak in warm water. After some fizzy special FX and the egg comes apart, you start finding parts to a dinosaur mini-figure, one by one. Dry off well and assemble the parts, and presto change-o, you have a miniature and poseable dinosaur toy!

Moose's craptastic site:
http://www.mooseworl...m.au/dinomagic/

This line is released in the US through Wild Planet, who has their own (better) site here, even an online store:
http://www.dino-magic.com/

These eggs are pricy (I didn't pay as much as the $5.95 they're asking, but it must have been around $3-4), especially on eBay. It almost seems like there's some collectors out there getting attached to these or something at those prices. I've got no idea on rarity or distribution, like if there's certain figures not in production, aside from the standard Moose checklist, or if the egg color's important, or anything like that.

I don't even know where else to look - my K-Mart had three the first day I ever noticed them, and promptly shot down to one, so I made sure to get it. I was hoping for something cool, even though I figured I'd get a Cretaceous figure, but I got a Velociraptor. It has seven pieces: the body, the tail, the head/neck, and each limb, and all can move along the joints (or be swapped with other dino parts). It's still a nice sculpt and painted pretty nicely for a toy that has to be "hatched" to access. I'm afraid that if I find more, I'll be hooked!

Edited by Boaconda, 25 May 2007 - 09:53 AM.

#2 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:19 AM

Wow.....for some reason these are REALLY appealing to me. Can you post a picture of your next to a BB so I can see it? Thanks! :D
Posted Image
---------------------------------------------------- アンドル ------------------------------------------------------------
______What I have for sale_______Beasts I still need_______Cards I still need_______My Collection______

#3 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:27 AM

I saw some of these at Walmart a while back. I didn't get one because 1) I wasn't sure what they really looked like, and 2) the cost was too much to experiment with a purchase. I think they're pretty cool, though, and I might pick them up. They seem like they might be cool companion pieces to Mega Bloks' Plasma Dinosaurs line.

#4 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:29 AM

I can't get a pic this moment, but the Velociraptor is about the size of a Fistful of Power figure - the line that caused many of us to become familiar with Moose in the first place. It's going to depend on the dinosaur and BB in question, but the dinos should be at least neck-high compared to a BB. I'll do a mini-gallery of Velociraptor ASAP, and it'll be an excuse to do some overdue shots of my other toys...

I've seen the Plasma Dinosaurs as well Nate, and I've seen those sell out really quickly too! In fact, I once confused a box that was either them or a Dragon for another Dino Magic when I scoured the horribly messy toy section of K-Mart for any more of these. I like what I see of those, very interesting. Dino Magic is probably not quite worth the money, but since I'm collecting nothing in particular at the moment, and it was only one, I was willing to splurge. Plasma Dinos are probably more worthwhile than these, but I think Dino Magic may still have its merits.

Edited by Boaconda, 25 May 2007 - 10:34 AM.

#5 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

I think I have seen these at walmart recently? I may just have to go back and see if there are any more there.....as long as the wife doesnt find out. :D
Posted Image
---------------------------------------------------- アンドル ------------------------------------------------------------
______What I have for sale_______Beasts I still need_______Cards I still need_______My Collection______

#6 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

Hmph....those Plasma Dinosaurs are eye catching (but i also liked the line of Dragons that i believe Mega Bloks put out).

The Dino Magic aren't bad either. Considering i have mini anthropomorphic figures with armor..these will fit right in?
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#7 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

Personally I think that's a ridiculous price for something not much bigger than a FOP fig. All your really paying for is to see something dissolve. The egg no doubt is the most expensive part of this thing. I'll just stick to grow-em dinosaur capsules. :o Havn't bought any of those things in ages. Might be worth a dollar for the nostalgia.

Posted Image

#8 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

I decided to break down and give the line a try by buying the Volcano Playset. I put a review of the playset on my site:

http://www.nathansmu...?menu=toyreview

And I agree with URS, the line is pricey. :p

#9 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

Wow! That does look fun! Reminds me of getting my Trash Bag Bunch figs. Can they condense soda, or carbonate? Cause that's what it looks like. I bet the egg would taste like those nasty Bottle Cap candies we had when we were kids. The dino does look pretty cool. I just wish it was bigger, or better yet had at least 2 dino's per egg. This looks like something anybody could get into, But with those prices I think I see this line going the way of the dinosaur! YES!!! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR AGES TO ACTUALLY USE THAT WITH A RELEVANT TOPIC!!!! :p

Posted Image

#10 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:35 AM

The egg looks like a powdery-sugar type of candy, but it actually smells and acts like a soapy laundry detergent. My wife mentioned that she thought it smelled exactly like Ivory soap.

I think you're right in that there should be two dinos per egg. The cost is pretty restrictive and a large part of what you're paying for is the fizzy egg. With 28 figures in the line, there's pretty much no way I'm going to be able to collect them all, especially since the egg is, for all intents and purposes, blind-box packaging. Truthfully, I can't wait for this stuff to get blown out on clearance.

#11 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

Ben 10 has a similar item.
http://www.ben10toys...dai/alienrocks/
I bought 2 for my kids. They were $3 each (or maybe $5 for 2). Needless to say, once the fizzy soap dissolved, and they got minute pieces of rubber, I realized what a rip off it was.

#12 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:49 PM

Awesome review Nate, it's cool that I can claim to have created some interest in the line. :p I'm working on the pics as we speak, so people can get an idea of what the normal figures look like (most anyone splurging on this line probably won't go after the playset, and I've never seen it) since the skeleton figures are "ultra-rare." I'm not even sure if there are normal skeletons in the blind eggs and glowing versions are exclusive to the playset, or if the skeletons are GITD either way.

I'll definitely pick up more and keep trying for that Therinzosaurus, and just won't hold my breath for anything Jurassic or Triassic.

#13 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:35 AM

I just put a bid down on a lot of two. Hopefully Ill get some cool ones and not two of the same. ;) Hahaha....maybe Ill take a video of it. Does photobucket host videos too?
Posted Image

#14 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1464 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:24 AM

Just grabbed 2 of these from Target for $4 each (and the Volcano set is $10 there). Dissolved the first one and was rather disappointed. Got the glow-in-the-dark Stego who's actually quite a bit smaller than a Battle Beast and most of the detail on him (black outlines of the bones and such) came right off in the water so he's basically just the solid off white glow in the dark color with patches where he's stenciled in. Meh, hopefully the second one will turn out better but yea, if you're going to pick these up I definitely recommend Target, after tax was like $8.60 for 2!
-Barry

#15 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:05 AM

Just grabbed 2 of these from Target for $4 each (and the Volcano set is $10 there). Dissolved the first one and was rather disappointed. Got the glow-in-the-dark Stego who's actually quite a bit smaller than a Battle Beast and most of the detail on him (black outlines of the bones and such) came right off in the water so he's basically just the solid off white glow in the dark color with patches where he's stenciled in. Meh, hopefully the second one will turn out better but yea, if you're going to pick these up I definitely recommend Target, after tax was like $8.60 for 2!
-Barry

THAT IS WHERE I SAW THEM!! I am gonna have to go there again. I knew I saw them recently. I am gonna talk the wife into going tonight. Just curious.....I thought the bone ones were "super rare".....and out of the three I have heard of being bought, two of them were the bones. ;)
Posted Image

#16 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• 1464 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:59 AM

So I opened my other one and got the common Parasaurolophus. I've got to admit they're a little cooler colorized than the glow in the dark "super rares" but I'm still far from convinced they're worth even the $4 Target charges for them. I might try 1 or 2 more to try and at least get one of the cooler looking dinos.
-Barry

#17 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:03 PM

Nice....my favorite Dino as a kid was the Parasaurolophus. Can you take a picture of it with a BB? I really want to know how big this things are. ;)
Posted Image

#18 matthewf1tz

matthewf1tz

Miracle Victory Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:42 PM

So I opened my other one and got the common Parasaurolophus. I've got to admit they're a little cooler colorized than the glow in the dark "super rares" but I'm still far from convinced they're worth even the $4 Target charges for them. I might try 1 or 2 more to try and at least get one of the cooler looking dinos.
-Barry

I actually really like those skeletal ones - very similar to the Gamoja versions

here's the UK Website

The advert is pretty cool

Posted Image

#19 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• 1464 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

The skeletal ones would be cool, but like I said, 90% of the black paint/ink/whatever it is came off while the egg was dissolving so it looks pretty dumb now with random patches of it.
-Barry

#20 matthewf1tz

matthewf1tz

Miracle Victory Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:21 AM

The skeletal ones would be cool, but like I said, 90% of the black paint/ink/whatever it is came off while the egg was dissolving so it looks pretty dumb now with random patches of it.
-Barry

yeah I guess that would ruin the look a bit! hmm, makes me wonder if there's any health and safety issues....

I would like to get some still to put with my skeletal Gamoja:

Attached File  gamojaGITD.jpg   181.06K   47 downloads

on a side note, check these out:

Alien Magic (again the TV advert is pretty cool)

They follow the exact same format as Dino Magic but I'm not sure if they are also made by Moose or not...

They remind me more of 3rd series exogini. I like the way the three 'super rare' figures form one large figure. A bit like the Monster Connectors on oznightshade's site

Posted Image

#21 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:24 AM

The Alien Magic line looks pretty awesome! I suspect they are made by Moose, since they are so similar (and use the "magic" name). I might get a few of those if they show up in the US.

It looks like Moose is really investing in this "fizzy-egg technology". Another line they're using it for is Mermaid Magic (which I know is a Moose line since it was advertised on the back of the Dino Magic box). It's not my cup of tea since it's girl-oriented, but it shows that Moose really thinks the egg concept is a good one.

#22 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• 1464 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

Ok, well I'm over my bad experience with the glowy skeletal stegy. I bought a couple more of these guys and an Allosaurus and glow in the dark Brontosaurus and both are AWESOME!! I'm hooked now so of course I bought a few more and then a few more so as of now I've got:

Commons: Parasaurolophus, Styrachosaurus, Velociraptor
Uncommons: Ceratosaurus, Kentrosaurus, Allosaurus
Rare: Thecodont
Ultra-Rare: Glowy Brontosaurus, Glowy Stegosaurus

So other than 2 Ultra-Rares the distribution seems to be about what it should be for the rarities they claim so far, I guess I'll just have to buy more to find out :) Anyone else going after these to trade with when the unfortunate day arises that I start getting doubles?
-Barry

#23 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:51 AM

I am man! I just have to go to Target and get them. :) The wife isnt giving in to my schemes....Im gonna have to make a special trip. :D I have two on the way from ebay....Ill let you know. :D
Posted Image

#24 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:36 AM

Both the dino magic and alien lines look pretty neat.

Will have to keep an eye out for them when I go to the store.

If I can find a decent number of stores that have them I will be up for trading when I get doubles.
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#25 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

I got a couple of the carded Dino Magic eggs last night, and I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with the figures. The ones I got were Stegosaurus and Ornitholestes, and they're not nearly as cool as the pics on the back of the card. Ornitholestes in particular looks pretty bad. At first, I thought he was supposed to be some kind of cheesy aquatic lizard, like those old renditions of Nessy. The skeletal Bronto was pretty cool, but these guys look like poorly sculpted knock-offs. It's just sloppy. ;)

The Volcano playset was more fun this time, though. It seems like the hotter the water is, the more bubbly the egg. Also, the Volcano's "explosion" is much cooler if you put two eggs in at once! When the bubbles go over the sides of the bowl it looks kind of like magma. But I suggest you do this in a bathroom sink as it gets pretty messy.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com