20 replies to this topic

#1 matthewf1tz

matthewf1tz

Miracle Victory Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:39 AM

As we all probably expected another company is now trying to piggy-back on the success of Gormiti...not a bad thing though:

DYNOFIGHTERS

I'm not overly impressed with all of the sculpts (some are awful).

Ultrasauras is such a promising charater from the artwork but the sculpt is really boring and looks like the kind of thing I made as a kid from a balloon and some paper-maché.

Posted Image

#2 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:31 AM

I don't think the sculpts are as good as Gormiti, but I would definitely buy every one of these if they popped up in the states. Ultrasaur is probably the worst, but there are a lot of cool looking dinosaurs there!

#3 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:42 AM

Excellent article, Fitz! Thanks for sharing. And, wow, talk about aggressive and crafty marketing!

Gameplay appears to be based around a set of 120 cards but the official website seems to promote interraction with Gormiti figures. Each of the Gormiti regions is specifically mentioned then followed this rough translation:

"Dynofighters fear no enemy. Strengthened by developments that have them fitted with steel structures making them almost indestructible, they are not afraid of invasions of other peoples from distant islands."

Marketing your toy line to be "enemies" of another, extremely popular toy line. That's a damn good idea. :cheeks:
Posted Image

#4 matthewf1tz

matthewf1tz

Miracle Victory Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:58 AM

"Dynofighters fear no enemy. Strengthened by developments that have them fitted with steel structures making them almost indestructible, they are not afraid of invasions of other peoples from distant islands."

Marketing your toy line to be "enemies" of another, extremely popular toy line. That's a damn good idea. :cheeks:

Yeah, I was shocked when I saw that on their website! very clever indeed.

They have some other clever press releases too. Saying they've had to dip into their "reserves" of the cards as they are so popular and also another highlighting high ebay prices.

Posted Image

#5 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:01 AM

I saw these weeks ago on eBay, meant to post a thread on them, and completely forgot. I blame that mainly on the terrible sculpts. To mess up the concept of intelligent, advanced fighting dinosaurs is a feat unto itself.

#6 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:07 AM

Does anyone know why toy companies are so willing to roll the dice in europe, but here in the US we can't get an original minifigure line anymore to save our lives?
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#7 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:10 AM

I know that he sculpt quality isn't as good as Gormiti, but man I have to have these. It combines Battle Beast/Gormiti style LRG with Dinosaurs!!! Those are probably my two favorite things. These have me sold.

Hopefully if they make it past series 1, they will improve the sculpt quality. While I love Gormiti, I have to admit that I wasn't too impressed by their series 1 sculpts either. I personally don't think gormiti hit its stride until Series 2.

Eric

#8 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:13 AM

I think those look great! I would jump on these in a heartbeat.

#9 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:24 AM

Does anyone know why toy companies are so willing to roll the dice in europe, but here in the US we can't get an original minifigure line anymore to save our lives?

That's a good question... Europe is just as swamped in video games as the US is (but this assumes video games are toys biggest competitors).

Personally, what most attracts me to Gormiti and this line are the cards! I'm dying for a card series that I can collect here in the states!

:cheeks:
Posted Image

#10 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:32 AM

I think those look great! I would jump on these in a heartbeat.

I especially like the Gigasaurs and the Sea ones.

That Megathyron reminds me of Triceraton from the Ninja Turtles.

I definately need to try and find a set of these.

Eric

#11 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:22 AM

Maybe its because we will pay more for toys than the americans. (as a whole, kids and stuff, not all you hardcore lot especially as dollars are pretty weak at the moment...)
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

Abolish The Ninja Mites Section

#12 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:48 AM

I don't think it's money that's the issue. Although toylines like FOP have failed in the past, companies keep offering new minifigure lines that aren't immediate failures, like Digimon toys (usually too scarce to shelfwarm), those new TMNT figures, and these miniature professional wrestling figures I've seen lately that retail for $7 or $8! Something else is going on, perhaps the perception that a toyline needs to be attached to an established franchise in the US or it's doomed to fail, regardless of how crappy that product actually is.

Edited by Boaconda, 23 April 2008 - 03:13 PM.

#13 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

I guess we know what happend to Remco now :mcmadd:

#14 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:44 PM

I don’t know, but I imagine it has to do with a difference in stores.

Here in the States almost everything is a chain. Smaller stores have very little buying power and can be easily ignored by manufactures. I was under the impression that there are more independent stores (both toy and grocery) which would make it easier for smaller manufactures to penetrate the marketplace.

#15 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

It could also be that Europe has a tendency to like these types of figures. Maybe Fistful of Power was big over there and it flopped over here, so companies are reluctant to release the same sort of figures in the US.

#16 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:04 PM

Here in the States almost everything is a chain. Smaller stores have very little buying power and can be easily ignored by manufactures. I was under the impression that there are more independent stores (both toy and grocery) which would make it easier for smaller manufactures to penetrate the marketplace.

That's a really good theory, especially since American chain stores tend to all but ignore their toy aisles outside of the Christmas season, and most of them have abandoned the time-honored practice of clearancing old stock to make room for the new. I couldn't tell you the vast number of toys that never showed up in my area, just because they had the unfortunate position of being released in the spring or summer. And even our only real remaining toy chain, Toys R Us, is just as bad as Target or Wal-Mart about keeping the stock rotating.

While i'm at it, i'm also going to blame movie tie-in blitzes for taking up too much space. *coughspidermanspeedracercough*
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#17 Red Marauder

Red Marauder

Mild, Medium, or Extra Nerdy?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:24 PM

That's a really good theory, especially since American chain stores tend to all but ignore their toy aisles outside of the Christmas season, and most of them have abandoned the time-honored practice of clearancing old stock to make room for the new. I couldn't tell you the vast number of toys that never showed up in my area, just because they had the unfortunate position of being released in the spring or summer. And even our only real remaining toy chain, Toys R Us, is just as bad as Target or Wal-Mart about keeping the stock rotating.

While i'm at it, i'm also going to blame movie tie-in blitzes for taking up too much space. *coughspidermanspeedracercough*

I was gonna say that as well. Too much shelf space is taken up by tv/movie tie-ins. I guess most figures make enough of a draw to justify production of a line, even for a really bad movie.
Preaching the depraved sermons given to us from the heavy metal gods!!!

#18 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:15 AM

Looks like nuthin' a bit of customization and decent paint can't fix...... :wub:

Just gotta try and make it look closer to the art.

I would be willing to customize and paint someone's for say $40?

#19 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

I agree, that a lot of those sculpts are pretty dodgey.

#20 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Welcome to the discussion! You're only... oh, three years late. :D

Did anything ever come out of these? I don't suppose later, improved sculpts ever happened, huh?

#21 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

Yeah, I totally missed these the first time around... But, to be honest, I think they are kind of shitty. I would have passed on them, anyway. Dino Gormiti seems like a slam dunk idea.... Apparently, not.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com