145 replies to this topic

#51 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order, these are the things I collect;
    Monster in my Pocket (Both original the modern)
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:00 AM

For some bizarre reason one of the kmarts has all the plasmas up on a high shelf, so high you need a step ladder to reach it. Being the crative and endeavoring person I am, I used one of those lego crates stood up on one end as a step. I only banged my shins and scraped my arm when I fell down though, so it wasn't so bad, lol.

Anyway, I found me a Quantic, by far the most awesome one of the four I have. I want Gyro badly, he reminds me so much of a wanzer :lol:

Attached File  techs.jpg   111.88K   13 downloads

I opened Quantic in maccas, and this kid came and stood behind me boggling his eyes at it the whole time. He giggled and ran away when I turned around and showed it to him.
I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

#52 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:48 PM

Alright, I've got good news, and... uh, bizarre news?

Good news is, I bought my very first Dragon! Since Series 5 is the only one that most places around me carry, including grocery store Safeway (home of the Ghoul!), I went with the coolest but most standard in the bunch, Trylobite. Couldn't help but want it, with a prehistoric-inspired name like that. He's quite surprisingly cool although not as polished as my Ghoul, but a step up in many ways compared to Tech. And I've definitely been underestimating the entertainment value of the plasma placenta-stuff. I wouldn't go completist for these, but I'll definitely be eying that tentacled dragon next.

And for the bizarre news... Mega Bloks, a company known for knocking off the ideas of other toy companies, particularly Lego, has been bootlegged! I work at a gas station, and just today noticed that they carry cheap-o bootleg versions of Plasma Dragons! Being the guinea pig that I am, I bought one for your reading pleasure. There's several differences between Dragons and these so-called "Legendary Dragons":

1. The packaging - there's none! They're sold with only the eggs, in a display case of twelve. The egg molds, made of a transparent plastic but without the black specks at the top, no longer have the prongs to lock together and is held in place by tape, a UPC sticker, and a third sticker depicting the dragon inside. Quite crummy that these stickers hold together well, because it means tape goo is stuck on the egg.

2. The plasma - there's none! The dragon, mostly assembled, is only contained inside a sealed baggie.

3. The instructions - there's none! Not that anyone over the age of three couldn't figure these out.

4. The dragon - there's none! ;) A little repetitive humor, yes? I'd have never known if I hadn't just gotten Trylobite, but these are definitely cheaper in all ways. The body mold just happens to be identical to Trylo's, as a matter of fact, but every other part is different. If I knew or owned more, I could tell you which one this is. At least the mouth retained its joint.

The plastic used is very similar to the real deal, but just slightly more bendy than a normal one. Again, if this is actually a trait shared by the original version of this fellow, I wouldn't know. The plastic even smells the same. But it's the paint that makes this guy really stand out. It's applied even worse than on the genuine article, and uses a clashing mixture of orange claws and wings, lime yellow belly, and a blue and black camo pattern on the body, but the same blue is used as a wash on the limbs instead. I think this is what Frankenstein's Dragon might resemble, but I've seen legitimate dragon colors that are almost as bad.

All in all, the only reason to pay serious attention to these is if you want something to bulk up your dragon army even more or if you really, really, really like these dragons. A $2.99 price tag (at my store) certainly doesn't hurt either. If anyone wants these, there's a total of four different styles, and I certainly have no dying need to keep mine, so shoot me a PM. Otherwise, they make for an interesting footnote in Plasmaverse history.

EDIT: I think it's actually three styles, but you get the general idea.

Edited by Boaconda, 15 September 2008 - 04:18 PM.

#53 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

Series 5 had the shoddiest paint of them all unfortunately, so expect earlier series dragons to look much more delicious.

Could the bootleg dragon be modelled off this fellow?
Attached File  mini.jpg   72.55K   18 downloads

And are the parts interchangable with your Trylobite?

Also, PM sent ;)

And I forgot to mention in my last post that I took hi-res photos of all 36 of my plasma critters and put them in my collection page. DELICIOUS HI RES.

#54 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

Mmm, I'll look forward to finding older flying lizards, then. I know Series 5 isn't the only Dragon series around, just the one I see most.

That is indeed the original version of my bootleg dragon! I think I've identified one of the others as Scauld. Perhaps it was Crymson - definitely a red one. No idea on the other(s).

Parts are interchangeable, but Trylobite's limbs fit a bit loosely on the boot's body than its own limbs. And on the other hand, Boot-Dragon's limbs are so tight that they don't entirely fit Trylobite. Sounds like the result of mold shrinkage.

Edited by Boaconda, 15 September 2008 - 04:43 PM.

#55 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

Probably was mould shrinkage, but some of the plasma guys suffer a similar sort of thing, a few of my dinos have really loose parts, and a few of my kreaps had parts that required heating before they would fit. From your description I doubt it will be much worse than that ;)

If only the bootleggers had copied all the bits and made spankin' new dragons from old bits. Oh well! We can dream!

#56 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:17 PM

I was really close to picking up some of those Knights and Orcs months back but the size didnt allow for much custom potential so i was forced to pass. I thought they looked good though..but that isnt enough for me.

Im glad to hear that the quality is bad as it softens the blow lol.

That Ghoul is IMPRESSIVE.
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#57 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

if you're looking for a small fig similar to the plasma knights and orcs, check out the king arthur toys. they're very superior to the crappy orcs and knights. they're quite like the minimates line, only a little smaller and slightly less articulation.

the red boot was prolly tidalfire. is the gas station you work in a national gas provider, or is it more like a mom & pop shop? damnation, i'm gonna have to start looking for dragons in all kinds of stupid places.

EDIT: saw these little dragon eggs while searching online for info on legendary dragons.

Edited by dankingery, 15 September 2008 - 07:47 PM.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#58 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:51 PM

Yeah i mentioned them to you here:
http://www.littlerub...showtopic=23803

in the other Plasmaverse thread. I still havent picked any up yet but i will the next time the opportunity avails itself. A dragon to heh

What is your avatar a picture of?
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#59 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

Gheos, from Gormiti. He made a thread in the Gormiti forum about some crazy-ass 3D art someone did of him.

Don't see any reason why the red guy HAD to be Tidalfire, but who knows? I should have mentioned that, but the tiny sticker with the dragon pictured on it is definitely ripped from Mega's product images, so it's much easier to identify them by that than play a Plasma guessing game.

Edited by Boaconda, 15 September 2008 - 08:11 PM.

#60 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

do the legendary dragons have a manufacturer's name on the sticker or egg?

#61 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:05 PM

Nope, nothing. "Made in China" is all you get. Something might be written on the display case, but considering the kind of toy this is, I doubt it.

As I promised Airot, I picked up a complete set of boots today, right after my wisdom tooth extraction, ow. These two are none other than Boulder and Brimer. Not exactly red, but Boulder's picture is a bit brighter than usual. The confusion arose because those crazy bootleggers used the wrong dragon picture... Prongrowl, painted red! Weird.

Didn't open them up fully, just nudged the eggshells open to get a better look at each dragon. Oh, and these two eggs are colored green and red, and have the same bland appearance and lack any black specks. I'm sure Airot will be able to provide some dazzling HIGH-RES pictures when they arrive. ;)

#62 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

I'm sure Airot will be able to provide some dazzling HIGH-RES pictures when they arrive

Yes, yes! This I will! And doing amusing things! ;)

Excellent.

Attached File  strawberry.jpg   512.44K   14 downloads

He's nicking my strawberry! OH NO!

I take too many pictures of Gorgonaw and Fernbogg. I didn't even realise Fernbogg was one of my favorites until I realised how many photos I had taken of him, lol.

#63 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:24 PM

I'VE GOT A GHOUL!!!

that saint boaconda tracked one down for me and it arrived today. it's even more magical than i expected. well worth the long search. anyone who's even got the slightest interest in the plasmaverse needs to get this fig. he's also inspired me for my fac 14 entry. i won't go into detail right now, but i think it's gonna look cool.

if i was stabbed in the back and shot twice and had a gun held to my head and was asked what i'd change about the ghoul, i would have used a dark brown for the wash instead of black. also, it might be kind of cool if he had devil/demon horns.

#64 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:21 PM

if i was stabbed in the back and shot twice and had a gun held to my head...

Really? I would have been asking for an ambulence/screaming in pain/dead. eff answering questions at a time like that.

If someone asked me what would have made the ghoul better, I'd suggest that the creator examine the delectable Lovecraftian Ghoul from the Nightmares of Lovecraft Series http://www.mwctoys.c...IEW_112706a.htm (The guy on that page seems to hate it but mine was painted differently, and looks better than his) or even this one http://www.buycostum...ductDetail.aspx and make it less boring and 'skeleton with wings', and more 'terrifying horror from beyond'.

The zombie is fine, looks like a corpse and has creepy eyes, the werewolf is fine, not much you can do with a werewolf. The vampire is... okay... I would have preferred something a little less 'OMG I'M A BAT!' and a little more 'I'm psycho and I'm going to kill you while you sleep!', I don't really like the mummy, but mummies are pretty boring in appearance, and I like the gargoyle, but I hate his paint, or lack of.

The ghoul really should have been named 'winged skeleton' or something, the name ghoul is just... well, it's nothing like I'd imagine a ghoul to be. Too human I guess. Ghouls aren't just human remains like a mummy or a zombie, they're demons! From memory they could turn into hyenas, and they ate people. How is a skeleton going to eat someone? It has nothing to digest with!

On that note, it's title was something like 'Shipwreck Ocean Stalker' and that has nothing to do with the ghoul legend. It should have been 'Midnight Graveyard Stalker' or something.

If it were renamed to 'Winged Skeleton' or 'Demon Skeleton' then I'd say it's fine, but the inside of the wings should have been lighter. And mine is washed in brown, there isn't any black on him at all.

After all that, I'm glad you finally got your Ghoul : D

#65 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

On that note, it's title was something like 'Shipwreck Ocean Stalker' and that has nothing to do with the ghoul legend. It should have been 'Midnight Graveyard Stalker' or something.

there you go again. thinking that the people behind the plasmaverse product launch did something other than eating rotisserie chicken the night before presentation and just bullshizznitting their way through it. :)

#66 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

there you go again. thinking that the people behind the plasmaverse product launch did something other than eating rotisserie chicken the night before presentation and just bullshizznitting their way through it. :)

That's what I'm saying though - they are morons! They should have paid more attention to detail so people like me don't get picky over how illogical it is.

#67 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

holy shizznit!!! stop the insanity. what the hell is going on. look at these prices!

talonlock $60!!!

scauld $70!!!

fernbogg $60!!!

stormer $46!!!

if the prices are spiking like this i'm gonna have to go out and buy up all the talonlocks i can find, which is about a thousand of them. i'd make 1000% prophet on them. :D

#68 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:27 PM

holy shizznit!!! stop the insanity. what the hell is going on. look at these prices!

if the prices are spiking like this i'm gonna have to go out and buy up all the talonlocks i can find, which is about a thousand of them. i'd make 1000% prophet on them. :D

...just no.

On ebay they don't sell for half as much. That's clearly either someone playing a joke, or a very big fat mistake.

#69 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

No, that's just Amazon for you. Third-party stuff always seems to be ridiculously priced.

#70 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

anyone recognize this dino fig with the dragon? doesn't look like a plasma dino, don't see any joints in the legs. the paint is even different than my gnawhorn. just curious if it was dino-magic or something.

#71 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:57 AM

Series One Plasma Dragon with egg and plasma pouch. Tricertops plastic dragon included too.

Good lord! It's not a triceratops, they misspelled triceratops, and a triceratops is not a dragon.

Also, it's definately not a plasma dino. It looks the wrong size, if the legs are jointed (looks like they are?) the moulds for the legs aren't any existing plasma moulds, it doesn't appear to have the little prongs on it's back for wing/back accessory attachment, etc., the tail is clearly not jointed and plasmas all have tail joints, the paint is a different style, and the pointy bits look too sharp. Plasmas all seem to have pretty blunt horns, tails and claws.

Tl;Dr: No, not plasma. Still a cool dino though.

#72 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:44 AM

I've looked long and hard for what that Styracosaurus is, and can't find it. If you bid on it, and win, give us some more info or at least a pic, and I'll see what I can do.

#73 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

FINALLY!

I got archaeop and skysweeper today, that leaves only gyro. Well, until series 8 comes out over here.

I called/visitied a total of 26 stores today to find those two. Damn.

Now I just gotta call a million billion more to hunt down gyro -.-

#74 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:54 PM

which color is gyro? if i spot one i can pick it up for you so you don't have to globe trek to find it.

#75 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:29 PM

Wait, Gyro?! I have him already! He's opened, and doesn't come with the packaging (just the card, instructions, and the space pod of course), but he's here and doing nothing but collecting dust. Shall I throw him in?

Sorry, my mistake! I don't have him after all.

He's the short red Plasma Tech, Dan.

Edited by Boaconda, 25 September 2008 - 02:13 AM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com