4 replies to this topic

#1 countzackula

countzackula

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

I can't believe I never saw these before, but when I did...HAD to have 'em! I don't usually get a hold of mint, bagged, vintage dinosaur toys (I'm assuming these are 80s or earlier).

Posted Image

The "dinosaurs" are roughly about 3 inches tall/long. Made of standard hard plastic with minimal paint apps. Seven in all, but I wonder if more may or may not exist. They have Hong Kong stamps on 'em. Very similar to the other easier to find Hong Kong dinosaur monsters of the 80s...you know, the ones the creator of Dungeons and Dragons ripped off?

Here are the very monster-like dinosaurs loose. I just LOVE these damn things...right up may alley. I think I may or may not have seen some of these before at random intervals of time, maybe mixed in lots on eBay or in other people's collections.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Very loosely based off of the usual dinosaur toy suspects.

The first grey guy is fairly tame looking...just an odd sculpt of a generic biped dinosaur of some kind. The green triceratops thing is awesome...has extra fins and horns, and just looks plain cool. The brown finned guy is easily based off of a dimetrodon, only the head is more dragon-like. The silver Godzilla-esque guy almost caught me as a giant sloth until I got this in hand...reminds me of a kaiju knock off, like the Super Dino Monsters...sweet! The other brown creature looks like a demonic cross between a triceratops and a bulldog. The green dragon looks like...uh...a dragon. Doesn't seem to be inspired by a known dinosaur, necessarily. Last is this freakish grey thing. Another biped dino-monster. Very humanoid and monsterish. Hard to pick a fave, but this guy is close. Just look and that creeper face, webbed claws, and armored hide. Pure beauty!

Glad to snag these. If anyone has any variations or similar looking beasties, be sure to share! I'd love to see 'em.

Edited by countzackula, 09 March 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#2 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

How did I miss this before? I love crap like this. I'm especially a fan of the last dude pictured.

They sort of remind me of some cheapo dollar store plastic dino-monster-dragons hybrids that I have, which I think also came in bagged sets like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#3 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hey mate, the second to last pic with the dino with red eyes looks just like the dino sculpt pictured with the Warriors of the Galaxy set you just linked to in the ID forum.

http://actionfigures...int&thread=9458
Posted Image

#4 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hey mate, the second to last pic with the dino with red eyes looks just like the dino sculpt pictured with the Warriors of the Galaxy set you just linked to in the ID forum.

http://actionfiguresca.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Cartoons&action=print&thread=9458

Ah yeah, that is the same figure! I didn't even notice him there.

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#5 TwoHeadedBoy

TwoHeadedBoy

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:Monster In My Pocket, Thingz That Go Bump In The Night, Mighty Max, TMNT, Boglins, cheap and nasty monsters of any sort...

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:36 AM

Fantastic stuff, great find!

Posted Image

This one's my favourite, seems to be based off the Crystal Palace dinosaur sculptures:
Posted Image

My comics blog - mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s
Collection Piccies!
Identify these toys?

WANT/NEED! Warmonger (from Mighty Max's Skull Mountain), will trade for Alien Magic!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com