• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:14 PM

Sorry it's taken so long to do this post, but I wanted to make sure I would do it right. Today as promised, I'm doing the canid (dog) family.
I had to do a little research for the domestic dogs, since there were so many of them, and the Godbeast's help, I think I found all the info I needed to get going.

PHYLUM: CHORDATA

Subphylum: Verbrata

CLASS: MAMMALIA

Subclass: Eutheria

ORDER: CARNIVORA

FAMILY: CANIDAE

35 species in 10 genera

Canids originated in North America about 55-34 million years ago (in the Eocene epoch). Today, they are found worldwide except in places such as Madagascar, New Zealand and Antarctica (excluding domestic breeds of course).
Several groups of Canids live in family units called packs. Including the Red & Artic Foxes and the Grey Wolf.
Domesticated dogs are believed to be the decedents of Wolves, with the earliest known domestic dog fossil dating at about 14,000 years ago. Although the precise reasons for domestication are unknown, it is generally believed that Wolves were domesticated for practical ones: Hunting, guarding or even possibly by accident.
Canine diet typically consists of fresh meat, but can also include fruits, carrion and (as in a case of the Fennec Fox) insects.

#21, Danger Dog
#51, Bludgeonly Bulldog
#61, Pixilated Pointer
#94, Killer Hound

Canis familiaris

canis (L) a dog, familiaris (L), means domestic, or belonging to, as in servant.

Danger Dog is an American Staffordshire Terrier. This breed of Terrier has a well protective instinct, but is very loyal, devoted and loving to his own family. Terrier's tend to have a gentle and loving temperament toward people, although if provoked can be very aggressive.

Bludgeonly Bulldog is an English Bulldog, the national symbol of Great Britain. Bulldog's generally have relaxed, undemanding attitudes and despite the rumors, they don't drool.

Pixilated Pointer is a Pointer dog. Pointers are mainly bred for sport. They are very fast, and have great stamina.

Killer Hound is an Afghan Hound. An aristocratic type dog that has recently being used in the sport of Afghan racing.

Each one of the domestic dogs generally looks like it's real life equivalent. As far as colors goes it's anyone's guess because when animals are domesticated many new coat colors begin show up as you get further and further into breeding.

Longevity: Up to 20 years depending on the breed.

Conservation Status: Not threatened

#83, Ground Wolf
Canis lupus

lupus (L) a wolf.

Wolves are distributed throughout North America, Europe & Asia. They hunt in packs usually lead by the Alpha couple (including an alpha male & alpha female). The rest of the pack is filled with other related individuals.

Ground Wolf's generically match to those of the fictional werewolf's, not a real one. Coat color can range from traditional gray to brown to black. So Ground Wolf's colors aren't way off.

Longevity: 8-16 years (20 in captivity)

Conservation Status: Vulnerable

#16, Sly Fox
Vulpes vulpes

vulpes (L), a fox.

Sly Fox's details match him closely to a Red Fox. The pointed ears are a true feature that was added to Sly Fox.
Despite the name, Red Foxes can have coats that range from rust to flame-red (with silver/gray color phases); white to black underneath, and usually have a white tip on their tails.

Red Foxes are distributed from the Artic Circle (North Pole, so they don't eat penguins either!), to North Africa and Central America.

Longevity: Up to six years

Conservation Status: Not threatened

#94, Fennec Fox
Vulpes zerda

zerda (Arab) derived from zardawa, meaning a fennec.

Fennecs are the smallest of the wild Canid family and live in North Africa.

Fennec Fox does indeed match very closely to a true fennec. His big ears are not an exaggeration, but indeed very true in size to a real fennec. The big ears in Fennecs act as the animals’ radar and help regulate the animal's body heat in the heat of the desert.

Diet is slightly different for Fennecs in that about 80% of what they feed upon is insects. Only the other 20% or so are fruits, scorpions and the occasional small bird or mammal.

His coloring is also right on because fennecs do a red coat.

Longevity: 10 years

Conservation Status: Data Deficient

Edited by Artimus Prime, 19 November 2005 - 05:22 PM.

Formally known as Artimus Prime

#27 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:52 PM

Today I'm going to add on to the Carnivore BB's. This point is a little tricky for me because I'm getting to Orders where there are only one or two actual figures.

Here is the lone BB representative of the Family Procyonidae:

FAMILY: PROCYONIDAE

All 7 species in the genus Procyon

Raccoons are intelligent, highly adaptable animals. They have learned how to thrive in environments dominated by humans by using their cunning to ravage crops, garbage’s or even by breaking into and out-of human-built structures.
Raccoons are distributed throughout North & South America, and have been introduced to parts of Europe and Asia inhabiting many diverse areas from woods & creeks to highly populated cities.
Raccoons are highly omnivorous and adapt their diets to whatever's currently available to eat at a given point in time.

#39, Dragoon Raccoon
Procyon lotor

pro- (Greek) prefix meaning "before", kuon (Gr) dog; it is believed that the ancestors of dogs were raccoons, which is why the raccoon's Latin name means "Before the dog".
lotor (New L) means "to wash", this is because captive raccoon have been observed to wash their food before eating it.
Dragoon Raccoon is a common raccoon, and his details are very true to a real life one, except that he is missing a tail.

Longevity: 13-16 years

Conservation Status: Although the six other species of Procyon are listed as Endangered, the common raccoon is Generally Not Threatened

Edited by Artimus Prime, 17 February 2005 - 08:10 PM.

#28 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:59 PM

I'm sure that some of you have noticed that I've been focusing most of my attention on Mammals. My plans are to finish with the mammals and then move on towards the other Classes, so I'll be hitting the Class Reptilia after I finish with the Class Mammilia.

That being said, today I'm listing the weasel & the skunk.

FAMILY: MUSTELIDAE

23 species in 7 genera

Although mustelids are small, they are very carnivorous and strong for their size. Diet includes small rodents, rabbits, birds, insects lizards & frogs.
They are amongst the most common carnivores in the world, being distributed throughout North & South America, Africa, Europe, Asia and even as far North as Greenland.
Mustelids are very strong for their size, being able to run at speed carrying a load of about half its weight.

#24, War Weasel
Mustela nivalis

mustela (L), a weasel, nix, genitive nivis, (L) of snow. I believe War Weasel is a Least Weasel.
A real weasel isn't quite as red as War Weasel is. They have reddish-brown color with white beneath (the chin & belly areas being white). Northern breeds actually take a distinctive winter coat that is pure white and is longer and thicker to help preserve body heat in the cold.
Other details are generally pretty close, real weasels have whiskers but War Weasel has a gas-mask of some kind which covers the portion of his face where they would otherwise be found.

Longevity: Less than one year in the wild, but up to 10 years in captivity.

Conservation Status: Generally Not Threatened

FAMILY: MEPHITIDAE

10 species in 3 genera

Skunks' black & white coat serves as a warning to potential predators. They are one of the few groups of mammals that relies on chemicals to protect itself, and is remarkably accurate at hitting its target if alarmed. Predators that continue to harass a skunk are introduced to a chemical (called musk) that's a mixture of sulfur, butane and methane compounds (that means the stuff's also highly flammable guys!).
Skunks are distributed throughout North & South America, from Hudson Bay area on southwards. Diet includes insects and mice.

#52, Pew-trid Skunk
Mephitis mephitis

mephitis (L) a noxious smell.

There is very little available on this BB to truly be able to identify him as a skunk. To begin with, Pew-trid's coloring is nowhere close to that of a real skunk. I don't know why anybody decided to paint him the lavender color he is, but skunks are black and white of course. And he is missing a tail, which all skunks have.
No two skunks have the exact same pattern of spots or stripes.

Longevity: Usually less than 3 years in the wild, 8-10 in captivity.

Conservation Status: Generally Not Threatened

Edited by Artimus Prime, 24 February 2005 - 09:00 AM.

#29 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 05:04 PM

I am now starting to show some progression with my last entry. I am now finished with the Order Carnivora and am now in the Order Pinnipedia, which includes Sea Lions, Seals and of course, the Walrus.
As you might tell, the rest of the marine mammals with follow this post soon... I hope you guys are as excited as I am with the progression of this little project of mine to establish scientific order here in our little community.

So, with no further ado... "I am the Walrus"... oh wait! B)

ORDER: PINNIPEDIA

FAMILY: ODOBENIDAE

Sole member of genus

The evolution of the pinnipeds including their origins and taxonomy are something of a debate for scientists and although there are several strong theories currently being circulated, none have been fully accepted. For example, there are several scientists who believe that the pinnipeds should be classified in the Order Carnivora.
What is currently understood however, is that Walrus' evolved from bearlike ancestors in the North Pacific about 20 million years ago. And they have a recent lineage with the Carnivores.

#37, Wolfgang Walrus
Odobenus rosmarus

odous (Gr), a tooth. baino (Gr), I step, I walk, 'One that walks with it's teeth', as the walrus is known to drag itself using it's tusks to move itself along the ice. rossmar (Scandinavian) means Walrus.
The Walrus is found in the Artic Sea. From Artic Canada and Greenland to W. Alaska and N. Eurasia.
Walrus' diet mainly consists of mollusks, but also includes seals and sea birds. The tusks, which are the most identifiable feature of a Walrus, can grow up to 32 cm (~12.6 inches) in length. While a fully-grown male adult can grow up to 3.1-3.2 m (10.2-10.5 ft). Males always larger than the females.
Wolfgang walrus looks very close to a real one. His colors are reasonably accurate and his tusks appear proportional.

Longevity: 40 years or more

Conservation Status: Although it is not considered endangered as a species, numbers have been seriously reduced as a result of past hunting.

#30 fourth_heir

fourth_heir

halfway between Mars and Venus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:11 AM

Panda's feed primarily on bamboo, although their diet is a little more varied than that. They have been observed eating insects, grasses and even rodents.

I've seen video of a wild Panda eating the carcass of some kind of antelope it had found once. Not sure how common this kind of activity is but it shows they're willing to go much larger than rodents when they order 'supersize' :)

This is a great thread - I can't wait for the next entries!

Visit my dA gallery to see my latest fanart (it's mainly TransFormers and Doctor Who but there is a Battle Beast gallery on there!)...
fhsig2.gif

#31 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:16 AM

Panda's feed primarily on bamboo, although their diet is a little more varied than that. They have been observed eating insects, grasses and even rodents.

I've seen video of a wild Panda eating the carcass of some kind of antelope it had found once. Not sure how common this kind of activity is but it shows they're willing to go much larger than rodents when they order 'supersize' :)

This is a great thread - I can't wait for the next entries!

Thanks for the compliment fourth_heir!

Yes, you're right about the Panda video. It's something I should've included that panda's have also been observed to supplement their diet with carrion (rotting meat) from time to time.

I'm planning on posting the marine mammals very soon, probably by this weekend sometime.

There are a lot of BB/LB mammals so it's gonna be sometime before I get to the other animals such as the Reptilia or Amphibia Classes, but I'll get there soon enough!

#32 grimerslimer

grimerslimer

Crazy Bugger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:30 AM

Artimus,

This thread is amazing, I love to read about the specifics of the animals!

I saw a little blurb on Tanglin Pangolin the other day and thought of this.

I am on edge waiting for the next posting...... (hoping that Tarsier Tyrant will be soon, I love that guy with the HUGE hand and all!) :D

--grimerslimer
Check out Paranormal Misadventures on Youtube

#33 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:29 AM

Artimus,

This thread is amazing, I love to read about the specifics of the animals!

I saw a little blurb on Tanglin Pangolin the other day and thought of this.

I am on edge waiting for the next posting...... (hoping that Tarsier Tyrant will be soon, I love that guy with the HUGE hand and all!) :lol:

--grimerslimer

Thank you for the compliment grimerslimer! :D It means a lot to me!

I'll try and post some more either today or tomorrow. And the Tarsier shouldn't be too far off in the distant future... he's a member of the Primate family, for which there are a fairly large number of BB's included, but I do plan on gettin' there soon.

Thanks again! B)

#34 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:32 AM

dude, i farking love this thread! it is so informative and the final layout is just awesome. i've learned so much about the animals themselves, than i did while all those times visiting the zoo's here in chicago.

great work, keep it up!

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#35 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:40 PM

As promised today I'll post the Marine Mammals! There are three here that I'm going to add to the list, including a couple of surprises!

ORDER: CETACEA

FAMILY: DEPHINIDAE

36 species in 17 genera

The Delphinidae family is a relatively modern group, having evolved during the late Miocene epoch, about 10 million years ago.
Killer whales have a broad, rounded head and a stout, torpedo-shaped body with a single, crescent-shaped blowhole on the top of the head and a single dorsal fin.
Diet includes marine mammals, birds and fish. Hunting is done in group units of Killer whales called pods. Communication is done via echolocation.
Killer whales live in fairly stable social structures, kin relations can last a lifetime.
Distribution is worldwide.

#114, Killer Orca
Orcinus orca

orca (L) a whale, which gave rise to the orc, or ork, meaning a mysterious sea creature of horrible aspect. -inus (L) suffix meaning like, pertaining to.
One of a fairly small number of customs made by our resident THEGODBEAST, I must say that the details on Killer Orca and dead on! Killer whales are black & white and the dorsal fin is in the correct position and shape as well.

Longevity: Up to 50-100 years

Conservation Status: Lower Risk, conservation dependent

FAMILY: MONODONTIDAE

2 species in 2 genera

Narwhal's are very interesting looking creatures. Males have a tusk, which is actually a tooth that grows from the gum and can reach up to 3 meters in length, which is intriguing because bodies are sometimes only 5 meters.
Narwhal's are located in the Artic Ocean, from N. Canada and Russia to Greenland. Often always near or in sea ice. Fat is used as insulation to prevent freezing in such temperature extremes.
Narwhal's also have no dorsal fin.

#95, Dragon Seahorn
Monodon monoceros

monos (Gr) single, alone odous genitive odontos, a tooth. ceros derived from keras (Gr) the horn of an animal.
Now before you all think that I've lost my mind, Dragon Seahorn is indeed a narwhal and not any type of marine reptile or mythological creature! As mentioned above, narwhal's possess a disproportionately long tooth that looks like a tusk (like Dragon Seahorn does) and I was convinced of his being a marine mammal when I finally saw a picture of his French shield, which shows a drawing that is shaped like a narwhal.
His coloring is waaaaaaaay off! Narwhals skin coloration usually has small patches of gray-green, cream and black pigmentation instead of the green color that our LB friend actually is. Also, narwhal's bodies are streamlined, as to help with movement in the water and lacks any kind of scales what-so-ever.

Longevity: 30-40 years

Conservation Status: Generally Not Threatened but there is the threat of numbers dwindling due to over hunting or other modern day threats such as pollution or global warming.

FAMILY: ESCHRICHTIDAE

Sole member of genus

Gray whales are the most coastal of all the baleen whales, often found up to a kilometer from the shore. Gray whales migrate every fall and spring between the North American shores and feeding grounds in the Artic. Their migrations are the longest of any known mammal, reaching as far as 20,400 km.
Although the Gray whales' body is streamlined, it is one of the most parasitized cetaceans, being littered with barnacles and whale lice.
Diet includes bottom dwelling amphipods and a variety of planktonic invertebrates.

#97, Seapanic
Eschrichtius robustus

The genus and family name for the Gray whale are named in honor of Daniel Fredrik Eschricht (1798-1863), a Dutch zoologist, and author of several important papers on cetaceans. robustus means big, robust as in large.
The details on Seapanic are quite good, among the best in the line. Accurate coloring and a general large body size, and even barnacles have been added for detailing around the lips and the upper arms.

Longevity: Up to 77 years

Conservation Status: Lower Risk

#36 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:03 PM

EXCELLENT!!! :lol: ;)

TGB

#37 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:20 AM

Just so you know, I haven't forgotten about this thread... I've been doing my research fairly heavily 'cause the next Order I'm doing is the Primates.

If I haven't explained, even though I'm fluent with the field, I obviously use the internet and books in my personal collection for the information that I post. I check and cross check my references so that they are as accurate as possible. The last thing I want to do is post incorrect information and/or confuse anybody that's taking the time to read my posts here...

That being said, there are a lot of BB/LB Primates... off the top of my head there's the Tarsier, Gorilla, Orangutan, Mandrill, Spider Monkey, Probicius monkey a Baboon and I think there's one or two more. What I think I'm going to do is do them one family at a time. I'll probably start off with the Tarsier, then the Great Apes, then do the Old World Monkeys and finish off with the New World Monkeys.

This plan of mine isn't set in stone, I would prefer to do the whole Order in one shot, but the last couple of times I did that (with the feline and canine families for example) it took a looooong time and I wound up making a few mistakes that I had to go back and correct, which is something I want to minimise as much as possible! :blink:

Anyways, expect an update here within the next few days or so....

And thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this thread, it means a lot to me! :( :D

#38 grimerslimer

grimerslimer

Crazy Bugger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:46 AM

Arthur.......

I'm still waiting for the primates! :angry:

What gives!?! ;)

--grimey

#39 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:38 PM

Arthur.......

I'm still waiting for the primates! :angry:

What gives!?! :p

--grimey

Heh... Thanks for the post of concern there grimmy... don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this thread, or the Primates for that matter.

I've been a bit busy latley and haven't had as much time to get this part of the show in order but no worries, I'll get it up soon!! ;)

#40 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:03 PM

Heh... Thanks for the post of concern there grimmy... don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this thread, or the Primates for that matter.

I've been a bit busy latley and haven't had as much time to get this part of the show in order but no worries, I'll get it up soon!!  ;)

Slacker. :angry:

Eric

#41 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:15 PM

Arthur.......

I'm still waiting for the primates! 

What gives!?!

--grimey

I've been a bit busy latley and haven't had as much time to get this part of the show in order but no worries, I'll get it up soon!! :angry:

Lazy turd! :p ;) :D

TGB

#42 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:59 AM

Lazy turd! ;) :p

TGB

*Ahem*

How long has it taken you to finish the Fire Lion?

Hmmmmm...?

Any updates on the Moth or Butterfly?

Nooooooo...

And where's Power Possum's gun?!? :angry:

That's what I thought be-yotch! ;)

Now get to work! :D

#43 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:17 AM

he's been busy playing w/ his new monkey toy! :angry:

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#44 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:30 PM

primus (L) first, foremost.

Of all the taxa that exist probably the one that intrigues man the most are the primates, and justifibly so. Primates are a very interesting and intriguing group of animals. In his famous book, Systema Naturae, which was published in 12 editions between 1735 and 1766, the famous taxonomist/scientist Carl von Linne (1707-1778) also known in his Latin name as Linnaeus, named humans Homo sapiens in the tenth edition and placed them with the Primates. This classification was not based on evolutionary theory, but instead was based on anatomical similarities. Some 'typical' primate features include forward facing eyes, nails in place of claws, and an enlargement of the brain. Linnaeus found these similarities to be quite disturbing, and in 1766 wrote: "It is remarkable that the stupidest ape differs so little from the wisest man."

Humans and non-human primates share much more than just anatomical similarites. Social bonds, culture, and tool use are among a small number of other, non-anatomical similarites that can be noted.

Primates' taxonomy is in a great state of flux. When I was in college for example, there were two suborders, promsimians (i.e. tarsiers, lemurs, aye-aye) and anthropoids (i.e. gorillas, chimpanzees, man), but in all of my recent books, there has been a major debate that the strepsirhine/haplorine model is more accurate, so that is what I'm using here. The big difference between the two models as far as classification is concerned is that the strepsirhine/haplorine model places the tarsier with the anthropoids.

ORDER: PRIMATES

Suborder: Haplorhini

FAMILY: TARSIIDAE

Five species in one genus

Tarsiers are found on the islands of Southeast Asia. Known for their amazing abilities to jump, it is known that a tarsier can jump upto 40 times its own body length which is between 9.5-14 cm (3.7-5.5 in).
Tarsiers are nocturnal, and relative to their bodyweight (~100g or 3.5 oz.), they have the biggest eyes of any mammal. This is directly related to their noctural style of life. In order to maximize light-capturing capacity, a larger set of eyes would be neceissary for the night life in which they live.
Diet is exclusively insectivorous and carnivorous, mainly insects but also including invertebrates, snakes and birds.

#56, Tarsier Tyrant
Tarsius spectrum

tarsos (Gr) the flat of the foot, the part between the toes and the heel; an allusion to the tarsal bones of the hind legs which are exceptionally long. specturm (L) an image, an apparition.

Tarsier Tyrants' details are decent overall. His coloring is correct, as real life tarsiers are buff-gray or ocher, sometimes being beige or sand-colored. My one complaint would be that his eyes shouldn't be so "dialated", but that's just a minor complaint.

Longevity: 8-12 years

Conservation Status: Lower Risk, Near Threatened

FAMILY: CEBIDAE

47 species in 11 genera

Monkeys are separated into two different families; Cercopithicoids (Old World Monkeys) and the Ceboids (New World Monkeys). With the terms 'Old World' referring to Africa & Asia and 'New World' referring to South & Central America.
Although at first glance there might appear to be little to no difference between the two different families of monkeys, nothing could be further from the truth.
Differences such as tooth and facial structures are key between the two, as well as the New World Monkeys having a prehensile tail with which it can hang its body with. None of the Old World Monkeys are so equipped.

#106, Monkey Fighter
Brachyteles arachnoides

brakhus (Gr) short, teleios (Gr) complete, entire; it has very short thumbs or none at all. arakhnes (Gr) a spider -oides (New L) derived from the Greek eidos, apparent shape, form.

Although somewhat of an educated guess on my part, I'd have to say that our Monkey Fighter is indeed a Woolly Spider Monkey. Since the figure is lacking a tail and has body armor covering its entire body, the only real feature for me to work with was his face. Having a nose that pointed up was the main clue for me to work with, as only the Ceboids (New World Monkeys) have noses that point upwards. After flipping through serveral books that I own, I noticed a Monkey that contained a bare face almost the exact same color and containg almost the exact same facial features as the Laser Beast.

Woolly Spider Monkeys live in South East Brazil and are active in the daytime. They live in the trees and use their tails as an efficient fifth limb. Of interesting note, its thumbs are small and vestigial (almost of no use what-so-ever).

Diet is predominantly vegetarian.

Longevitiy:

Conservation Status: Endangered

FAMILY: CERCOPITHECIDAE

Subfamily: Cercopithecinae

45 Species in 11 genera

Cercopithecines are generally known as "typical monkeys". Much of our current knowlege of monkeys is derived from studies of the Old World Monkeys, which is mainly due to Old World Monkeys begin more closely related to Man.
Cercopithicoids have the same dental formula as Man, while also containing powerful jaw muscles and large canines (especially in males). Monkey social interactions and family units make for interesting studies as well.

Baboons and Drills are highly adaptable generalists. They have not become as physically specialized as many of species and are comfortable spending time on both the ground and the trees and have a somewhat varied diet. They have been oberserved eating fruits, roots and even on occation, meat (baboons).

#60, Manic Mandrill
Mandrillus sphinx

Mandrill is probably a combination of the words 'man' and 'drill', a West African native name for a baboon; a man-like ape. sphinx (Egyptian) a monster of Egyptian origin used in Greek mythology; Proabably no special reason for the use of this name.

As is well known here in the community, the Beastformer Monkeys as a whole were not done very well, and Manic Mandrill is no exception. Although his face is (more or less) colored correctly, his head shape is all wrong, and even though Mandrills do have tails, they are very short. Nothing lke the whip-like tail that rolls down the figure's leg.

*to be up-dated soon...*

Edited by Artimus Prime, 20 May 2005 - 01:30 PM.

#45 grimerslimer

grimerslimer

Crazy Bugger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:36 PM

AAHHHHHH.......

Like the long awaited fix of a crack addict, the sweet feeling of release courses through my veins...... B)

Thanks AP! The need for information has been gratified.....for now!! :D :lol:

--grimey

#46 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

I'm still working on the Primate order guys, I've added a little bit to it today and I plan on adding more tomorrow! <_<

So please continue to be patient with me! I'll get this done! I swear!!! :angry:

#47 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:35 PM

I'm still working on the Primate order guys, I've added a little bit to it today and I plan on adding more tomorrow! 

So please continue to be patient with me! I'll get this done! I swear!!!  ;)

Sure...

You know... B)

If you stopped smokin', you would have time to finish this thread... :D

All those muchie breaks are really cutting into your research time. ;)

jk... ;)

TGB

#48 Mr. Crimson

Mr. Crimson

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:39 PM

Hello,

Huh... I thought he was like the rest of us no job slackers who stay online 24/7 oh wait that is one mess of a bathroom break did you fall in come on hurry up already I think I am stuck to my chair and my left leg is asleep it is tingling and I can not move until I get an update.

Thank You,

Mr. Crimson
I want to buy a #1 White Lion complete w/weapon

My feedback: positive 10 / neutral 1 / negative 0
Link: http://forums.beastf...?showtopic=1062

#49 markderoos

markderoos

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:52 AM

*BUMP*

Hey AP, nice work till now, how's your research of the rest of the primates going?

#50 grimerslimer

grimerslimer

Crazy Bugger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:02 AM

:w00t: I'm sure Arthur hates to have this one dug up!!

By the way buddy....back in the day when dabbuu invited me to visit this site after I purchased a couple figs from him, it was this thread that ultimatly made me want to join the boards! ;) I spent MONTHS visiting this site reading especially this thread before I actually joined.

Crazy :w00t:

Now what you can do is delete all the comments and reorder them in the right order....being a MOD and all! :D

You da man Arthur!

grimey :)

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com