6 replies to this topic

#1 countzackula

countzackula

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

I've been into this line for a while now and am always looking for more info on it. It's an old 80s figure collection called The SWORD and the SORCERER...apparently based off of an old, cheesy sword and sorcery flick of the same name...I still have yet to see this baby, but heard it was kind of a doozer! Fleetwood toys made a lot of crap- d'ah I mean, great stuff back in the day. I'm pretty sure they ain't around anymore. They made all kinds of cheap-o pharmacy rack toys...junky plastic dart guns, day-glow jet planes with Marvel comics character stickers on 'em, tiny bowling sets...good stuff, y'know? They did make some figures, too...like these.

Posted Image

For starters, that's the "main" playset. Came with a castle facade, a bunch of human and monster figures with cheap paint apps, some horse and rider sets and little glow-in-the-dark weapons for the figures. The figures on the horses can detach from the steeds. They plug onto a knob on the saddle via a nice rectal hole! Those figures are slightly smaller in scale and have better paint apps...those two actually seem to be directly based of of movie characters: Talon and Xusia, I believe. The bigger figures may just be generic characters. The glow weapons plug into either fist on those figures.

Posted Image

On these figures, the monster guys have color variations...the humans do not seem to...as far as I know. Only two sculpt styles for each camp.

Posted Image

The horses and riders don't seem to have any color variations on the humanoids, but the horses do. Paint apps on all the figures can be cheap and hard to find in great condition. The horses are unpainted...they, unlike the figures, have a Fleetwood stamp underneath their base. I'm pretty sure the horses may have been used in other figure lines.

Posted Image

The castle, as I mentioned, is just a facade...no opening door or anything going on behind it. It actually tends to fall over, forward unless you place it on a nice surface. It has the Fleetwood mark underneath. The figure in the doorway is supposed to be the Xusia, character if I am correct. KInda reminds me of one of those crappy boardwalk haunted houses! HA!

As far as packaging goes...they all came on a card with a form-fitting blister bubble. Aside from the large playset, you got figure packs. Although I don't own many carded examples, I've seen the pair of horse riders together as a set, and these dragon and figure packs:

Posted Image

There are two dragons known...this winged one and a finned one. I've seen at least two "official" Fleetwood colors...simply either solid yellow or green...no paint application.

Posted Image

I've never seen humans mixed with monsters...I still wanna find out if there's any variations in terms of which dragon, in which color came with the figure pairs. HELP!!!

Those dragon molds have been used ENDLESSLY since the 80s. I've seen these used up to this very day in packs of dinosaurs and such. I'm pretty sure these Fleetwood sets were the origin point for these dragons. Maybe?

So...aside from the large playset, we got the horse riders set, a men with dragon set, and ogres with dragon set...at least four known sets. Now...Fleetwood also seems to have made either another series OR a sort of sub-line to this one...called "The Sword and the Sorcerer: The Monsters". The monsters were much larger and made of solid PVC. These were released on cards as well. Here are some I own:

Posted Image

I'm still trying to find out how far this line goes. I know they also made a humanoid lion with bat wings and a reddish loin cloth for sure...I just don't own one yet! These are all marked Fleetwood and Hong Kong...although the two-header is only marked Hong Kong. I've seen examples of all of these on card. I know that dragon's mold has been used for cheaper bootlegs over the years...I have a few...I'll hafta post 'em later.

This guy...this guy...he is a mystery! Waaaay back before I ever owned any of these, I say some junky figure playset on eBay (if I remember correctly). It had a weird snake guy and two smaller figures on a blister card. When I got really into these, I remembered that weird ol' set, but not in great detail...bummer. Anyway, I looked and searched and inquired and stumbled across this little guy in a mixed figure lot on eBay. HAD...TO...WIN...and did!!!

Posted Image

Has the same sculptural aesthetics as the rest...plus, looks eerily like another snake man used in Fleetwood's MANIMAL line (same sculptor?). I guess this guy is the one I once kinda remember seeing. This one has a broken weapon...I wonder what it was. Ideas? Pics? The snake he's clutching has been chewed, but I can deal. Can anyone prove he is a Sword and Sorcerer figure?!

Well, here's a shot of the whole spread...my collection of known Sword and the Sorcerer figures...still need more (hint, hint). Fleetwood a go-go, baby!!!

Posted Image

Edited by countzackula, 04 November 2011 - 06:02 PM.

#2 muckmonster87

muckmonster87

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

man, totally forgot you had that reptile/unicorn thing. pretty jealous about that one! just saw a 3 figure sword and sorcerer lot go on ebay that had the winged lion, i figured you got it.

Edited by muckmonster87, 04 November 2011 - 09:04 PM.

#3 countzackula

countzackula

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:42 AM

REALLY?! Crap in a hat! How did I miss that? Always a-searchin'...eh, in time, I suppose...in time.

#4 krazedmadman

krazedmadman

Fist of the Death Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Finding lost toys destined to the heap and putting them in the hands of the deserving.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

I just scored one of the Anubis looking figs off ebay, haven't gotten it yet but I can tell you he's holding an Axe in his other hand, heres a pic of the lot.

Attached Files

Wastelander

#5 countzackula

countzackula

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

I actually eventually found that out some time ago...I even saw an eBay auction for an old Fleetwood catalog which showed a spread of the different Sword and the Sorcerer products. I'm kinda sad since it seems I have nothing else new to hunt down for this line! Eh...I do need an intact snake guy, though...ooh, and the two loose winged dragons in both colors. Guess I'm still a-go!

Edited by countzackula, 24 June 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#6 MasonofDITreasures

MasonofDITreasures

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Toys, video games, movies, TV

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:47 PM

It's funny how a toy line that was crappy and stupid years later is totally awesome!  :D

I was lucky and came across the Lion Demon and the 2 Headed Dragon figure for $1 at a Deseret Industries thrift store. I had to search and search to find out what the Lion Demon was from. For a while I thought it was the Balrog from the old animated Lord of The Rings movie.

One day I would like to complete this toy line. Do you have a picture of that Fleetwood catalog anywhere!? I would love to see it!

www.DITreasures.blogspot.com

#7 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

I watched that movie a lot as a kid. Now I watch the version that I downloaded from RiffTrax all the time.

http://www.rifftrax....nd-the-sorcerer

SwordAndSorcerer_WebA3.jpg

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com