Theme© by Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Living in Japan...rediscovering Kinnikuman!

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#51 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

One more...then hopefully I'll have something fun to show after my Tokyo trip. I was at HobbyOff today and saw this one:
KinnikumanJStars_zps6cfae65f.jpg

I had seen the Kinnikuman J Stars figure a while back but didn't have any cash on me then...had to snag it this time. It was about $5, which is more than I'd like to spend, but not too bad. 

Edited by gaspar, 01 February 2014 - 11:41 PM.

#52 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:34 AM

I'm currently trying to get back home from my trip to Tokyo. Waiting for a train. The huge snowstorms have been...interesting. I checked out a few shops in Akihabara that were recommended and I either didn't find the right spots or didn't ask the right questions. They had great stuff in general, but not much related to Kinnikuman. Then I went to Mandarake Micro...wow! There was a little shop that was just packed with goodies! It was almost closing time when I arrived, so I only took a few pics and they're probably terrible, but I'll post then as soon as I can get home and get them off of my camera. I bought a few things too...I'll post pics of everything ASAP :)

#53 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:15 AM

Just got home...it's 11pm and I have to get up and go to work in the morning, but here's a preview:
Tokyo_Kinnikuman_zps5ba82dd2.jpg

That was just the top part of the glass case outside the store! So much cool stuff :D

I'll try to post more tomorrow, but it's probably going to be a busy day. 

#54 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

At work now...uploaded the photos. Sorry that they're bad cell phone pics. I wish I would have had a little bit longer but the store was closing soon and we were still trying to make it to a restaurant afterwards before it also closed. Anyway, here's my very quick trip to Mandarake Micro:

A slightly closer pic of the window case outside of the shop...the one in the previous post is better:

20140210_191659_zps232e2147.jpg

Lots of cool stuff in the cases inside:

20140210_190945_zpsdd9e082a.jpg

20140210_190950_zps042e3d4f.jpg

20140210_191618_zpscc96f5d4.jpg

Then I saw the bins...about $1 each for these figures:

20140210_191613_zpsc4f78c69.jpg

Then I saw the bulk figure packs under one of the shelves!
20140210_190941_zps78279cd0.jpg

I didn't have a ton of time to dig, so I had to make a quick decision. I bought one normal sized kinkeshi pack and one deka kinkeshi pack...approximately $10 each:

2014-02-11235117_zps4acaff7f.jpg

It looks like they all need to be washed and I can't tell if the regular kinkeshi sized ones are all legit or if there are bootlegs mixed in. I haven't even opened that bag yet to see exactly what's in there. I did open the deka kinkeshi pack last night and found that there were 46 of them included. There are a few duplicates, and some are discolored, marked with pen / paint, etc. But overall, I'm very happy with them for a $10 purchase! 

20140211_232333_zpsfa145ef5.jpg

Of course, most of the main characters are not represented, but that's cool. For the price and since I had no deka kinkeshi figures before this purchase, I'm quite pleased. I'll try to take some better pics in the coming days. If anyone has any info about anything you see, I'd love to hear it. I really am not versed enough in Kinnikuman / kinkeshi stuff to know exactly what I found...I just know I like it!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by gaspar, 11 February 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#55 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

Damn. Now that my brother-in-law is stationed in Japan, I'm going to have to ask my sister to pick up some Kinnikuman stuff for me.

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#56 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

Damn. Now that my brother-in-law is stationed in Japan, I'm going to have to ask my sister to pick up some Kinnikuman stuff for me.

That's cool! I hope they can get you some good stuff. Are they in Okinawa?

#57 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:14 AM

Deka Bath Time!
Kinniku_Wash1_zpse21cdcb2.jpg

Kinniku_Wash2_zpse86c46aa.jpg

Much better!

I have a couple of questions...some of them have red splotches that look like the dye used in the plastic / rubber didn't mix properly. Is that a common thing? Also, most of them are the typical pink / peach color we all know and love, but a few are a much deeper pink color. Is that due to sun exposure or just a bad batch or something? Or maybe those are bootlegs? I'm really curious about the weird coloration issues some of them seem to have. I've never seen that with the MUSCLEs I've had since I was a kid. 

Thanks again for reading. Sorry for so many random posts and photos all at once :)

#58 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:48 AM

That's cool! I hope they can get you some good stuff. Are they in Okinawa?

Atsugi. If I calculated the distance right, that's about 20-30 miles southwest of Tokyo?

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#59 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:06 AM

Atsugi. If I calculated the distance right, that's about 20-30 miles southwest of Tokyo?

Yep, looks like it's about an hour away from Mandarake Micro by train or car. Nice looking location...very convenient for cool Tokyo stuff!

#60 Guest_TricoBren_*

Guest_TricoBren_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Hi guys!

New to this forum but have been a Kinnikuman fan for a few years now!

I'm originally from England but have been living in Japan for the past 12 years as a translator. I love Kinnikuman but my interest has ebbed and flowed over the years. I still haven't read all of the manga in it's entirety but I'm working on that now and have just reached the Tag championship where Neptuneman and Big the Budo have just made their debut!

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Brendan

#61 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

I've been traveling a bit recently. Here are some photos from various shops in Osaka / Kobe:

20140309_141753_zps3b9df8de.jpg

20140309_145202_zps179d114c.jpg

20140309_141804_zps0c76176b.jpg

20140309_141815_zpsfe43a58b.jpg

20140309_141626_zps453e9b7c.jpg

20140309_145207_zps32b47e69.jpg

20140309_145212_zps2d3f75df.jpg

20140323_133528_zpsc6dfc576.jpg

Other than the last one which was found at HobbyOff, they were priced higher than I was interested in paying. The last one was cool, but I really don't have a display area for something like that. Didn't buy much, but thought I'd share what I found :D

#62 TMAN

TMAN

M.U.S.C.L.E. HUNTER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Interests:Anything M.U.S.C.L.E. TMNT. NKE 6.0 Mutants. Customs!

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

Great pics! Thanks for sharing! How much in US were they selling these small ones in the plastic?

Attached Files

Edited by TMAN, 24 March 2014 - 04:54 PM.

th_fdfc5f0f35daf26c472dce86f63f9f9e.jpg

#63 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Great pics! Thanks for sharing! How much in US were they selling these small ones in the plastic?

Thanks! To get an estimate on Yen to Dollar conversion, just knock 2 zeros off the end of the Yen price. ¥100 = about $1. It looks like those in the photo run anywhere from about $12 to over $200! I'm used to buying MUSCLE figures for about $0.25 to $1 each, so those were WAY more than I was interested in paying. I'm sure they were super rare figures. It was cool to see them, but they don't belong in my collection :D

#64 CaffeineSanta

CaffeineSanta

Formerly Be9ine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., M.U.S.C.L.E.Super Rares, giant lots of M.U.S.C.L.E.

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

That's it, I'm goin ;)
Seriously - you're living my dream.

Like coffee? I roast for a living! Check it out at caffepacori.com
Ask me about trading coffee for your spare M.U.S.C.L.E.S.! I'll take most, regardless of condition :D

#65 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:45 AM

That's it, I'm goin ;)
Seriously - you're living my dream.

Haha! You should definitely make the trip!

I found these Kinnikuman cell phone decorations while out shopping the other day:
KinnikuKeitai1_zpsbb9e4a0c.jpg

Everything seemed innocent enough until I turned the box over...

KinnikuKeitai2_zps13dcb027.jpg

Uhhhh...it really seems like they could have made the phone attachment part look a little different. At least maybe a different color? Disturbing! Anyway, they were about $4, so I only bought one:

KinnikuKeitai3_zps776ad28f.jpg

Might pick up another one or two in the future. I like the little stand that they come with that tells the move being performed. 

Also, I went to Kobe yesterday and found a coin machine with Kinnikuman figures. I forgot to take a pic of the actual machine, but here are the 2 sets of 2 that I ended up getting:

KinnikuGacha_zpse068559a.jpg

I actually wish I'd bought more of those...they were only $1 for each capsule with 2 figures! Next time...

#66 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

I went back to the Muscle Shop in Osaka a couple of days ago:

Attached File  Kinnikuman03.jpg   206.76K   20 downloads

I decided to post a big entry on my blog about it (over 20 photos!), so if you're interested in seeing it you can check it out here. I took more pictures this time since I noticed a sign that said photography was allowed. It was really fun to see a lot of things that I've never seen elsewhere.

I ended up buying one Kinnikuman figure as a souvenir from the Muscle Shop, and then I bought a Kinnikuman Zebra at a different shop later in the day. Here they are accompanying me on the train at the end of the day:

Attached File  Kinnikuman24.jpg   185.27K   26 downloads

I almost bought a Kinnikuman Super Phoenix as well, but I thought I'd leave a little for my next trip  :)

I had a great time just shopping around Osaka, checking out tons of cool shops, eating great food, and just exploring the area. 

#67 CaffeineSanta

CaffeineSanta

Formerly Be9ine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., M.U.S.C.L.E.Super Rares, giant lots of M.U.S.C.L.E.

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

It's so crazy to me that a place like this actually exists! I can't think of any cartoon character in the states that have their own store like, except maybe a generic Disney store. 

Like coffee? I roast for a living! Check it out at caffepacori.com
Ask me about trading coffee for your spare M.U.S.C.L.E.S.! I'll take most, regardless of condition :D

#68 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

It's so crazy to me that a place like this actually exists! I can't think of any cartoon character in the states that have their own store like, except maybe a generic Disney store. 

Haha! I completely agree. It's crazy...and awesome :D 

#69 Guest_TricoBren_*

Guest_TricoBren_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

I went back to the Muscle Shop in Osaka a couple of days ago:

attachicon.gifKinnikuman03.jpg

I decided to post a big entry on my blog about it (over 20 photos!), so if you're interested in seeing it you can check it out here. I took more pictures this time since I noticed a sign that said photography was allowed. It was really fun to see a lot of things that I've never seen elsewhere.

I ended up buying one Kinnikuman figure as a souvenir from the Muscle Shop, and then I bought a Kinnikuman Zebra at a different shop later in the day. Here they are accompanying me on the train at the end of the day:

attachicon.gifKinnikuman24.jpg

I almost bought a Kinnikuman Super Phoenix as well, but I thought I'd leave a little for my next trip  :)

I had a great time just shopping around Osaka, checking out tons of cool shops, eating great food, and just exploring the area. 

That Kinniku Zebra figure looks amazing! Can you tell me the name of that figure line as I would love to track a few of my favorite characters down!!

#70 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:45 AM

That Kinniku Zebra figure looks amazing! Can you tell me the name of that figure line as I would love to track a few of my favorite characters down!!

Unfortunately, I ripped open the package right after I took that picture so I could toss it out and make more room in my bag. Maybe someone else here will pop in with the info. 

#71 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:11 AM

Another quick trip to Jungle in Osaka and I couldn't pass it up this time:

Attached File  KinnikumanPhoenix.jpg   102.89K   21 downloads

#72 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:58 AM

My wife wanted to stop at HardOff / HobbyOff today to look for some things. I'm never one to say 'no' to that stop because it always means I can see if they got any new Kinnikuman things in stock. It's been a long time since they had any, but they actually had Kinkeshi figures today!!
Attached File  Kinkeshi1.jpg   211.85K   38 downloads

I loaded up a basket with what they had available and ~$40 later, I was the proud owner of all of them :D

Attached File  Kinkeshi2.jpg   174.93K   42 downloads

I haven't opened the packages yet, but it looks like there are 120 or more figures in total. I'm assuming they're all fairly new, but I'll have to figure that out later. 

Edited by gaspar, 25 May 2014 - 04:58 AM.

#73 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

So, I'm heading back to Tokyo tomorrow for a summer vacation trip. I've already warned my wife that I'll want to go to Nakano Broadway's Mandarake Micro since last time that was the absolute best Kinnikuman shop I found in Tokyo. But I wanted to check with you folks here about other shops. Before I went in February, I read some of the blog posts and ended up checking out some places in Akihabara. While they were really awesome stores with some amazing things in stock, I found very little Kinnikuman related stuff.

I find great Kinnikuman products all over Osaka when I go there, but for some reason I found very little outside of Mandarake Micro in Tokyo. Is there any place in Akihabara that is a MUST SEE this time? Maybe I just managed to miss the right floor or section of the right shop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#74 gaspar

gaspar

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:00 PM

It's been a while since I posted here. Things have been busy. I did go to Nakano Broadway like I said in my last post, but I wasn't able to find what I was hoping for this time. Their big bulk bags of Deka Kinkeshi were all gone. That was a bit disappointing, but I did buy one figure just to avoid going away empty handed...the "Glorious Muscles" Kinnikuman attached to this post. It was only a little over $5, so I couldn't pass it up!

I also found a few packaged Deka Kinkeshi figures over the past few months. Two at a shop in Akihabara and two more at a shop in Kobe. And the other day I added a couple of Kinnikuman decorations to my cell phone case. Pics of all of that stuff are attached at the bottom as well.

In about 2 weeks I'm making a very quick trip back to Tokyo. Hopefully if all goes well, I'll be able to check the Mandarake Micro store in Nakano Broadway again and see if they've restocked their inventory. I'll also try to hit up a few of the shops in the Akihabara area to see if anything new is available.

Oh, one last picture...Revoltech is apparently producing a RevolMini line of figures now. They're smaller than the usual ones they make and cost a little less. Kinnikuman is in the initial batch, but was still about $25 for a smallish figure, so I didn't buy one.

Thanks for reading!

Attached Files

#75 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Monster in my pocket

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:35 AM

I dont even collect these and I feel a great amount of envy for you lol also, I havn't had a chance to read all the posts. Why are you in Japan? Military? Job?

"THOSE WHO LAY THEIR EYES ON A GUNDAM, SHALL NOT LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. Those was the orders I was given."

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com