20 replies to this topic

#1 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:11 PM

I had a thought about the MUSCLE ring figures. Someone may have already mentioned this before and/or I may be totally wrong.

Anyhow, I've always wondered why the ring figures had to be new, unique sculpts, and my guess is that it was because the ring was produced separately. (I tried to find a post Veers made recently where he says which company made the ring and figures...)

Anyhow, this might tell us that the molds were fixed, and that in order to produce just two figures at a time, Bandai/Mattel were forced to create to new molds -- even one that was nearly identical to one they already had!

Edited by Soupie, 06 March 2008 - 02:14 PM.

Posted Image

#2 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

So what is the deal with the Buffaloman sculpt from the ring? Was the same sculpt ever used in the Japanese line or is he totally unique becuase come to think of it i have never seen a kinkeshi version of him. What sort of process is required for actually making a mold. It sure would be cool if we alll designed our own muscle style figures and then Marty somehow magic'd up molds to make them, just like how the original line was designed in part by the fans.

Anyway back to reality, there was apost earlier today i was reading about who owns the copyright and it was saying something about the copyright for the ring was separate from the figure line so i guess they had to use new sculpts in order to prevent any copyright infingements, i dunno.
"FRUIT OOZE IS WETLY LEWD SO
STAY DRY IN RUBBER BOOTS AND.."

#3 arforbes

arforbes

I lied, I cheated, I got banned!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

The Wrestling Rig figures are completely different sculpts and were never made as Kinkeshi even before the Muscle line was created. They were also never made into Kinkeshi afterwards, they never needed to be. And this is why I think this is...

Here's my theory...

Mattel decides to make a Muscle Wrestling Ring Set after the first run of figures, the fleshies, are made. In order to make to adequately "usable" figures for the ring, and at the same time keep the theme of Muscleman VS. Terribull in the picture, they had to mold two new figures...

Soupie I think you are right about the "not being able to produce only 2 figures at a time" theory. They had to make a NEW tree, with only these 2 figures otherwise they would be producing a whole run of additional and unnecessary figures.

Now, why the new Terribull then, and why not just take the #141 mold instead of making a new one? This is what I think gives strength to Soupie's theory. The #141 sculpt was a perfect fit for the purpose of the ring. Arms up in fighting position. And it potrayed Muscleman perfectly in addition. To explain the new Terribull mold...All the existing Terribull figures all had their arms down, well all except for #105, which had his arms like at the halfway point between up and down, actually a bit too low. They had to remake the Terribull figure with his arms at the same height as Muscleman's to be a worthy opponent for Muscleman #141 (The new mold now being #234).

So to make only these two new figures, they had to remold an almost exact #141, but because all molds are fixed molds, into a tree with the new Terribull #235 mold it went. Quite possibly they just molded Muscleman #234's features from an existing #141, which may explain the shrinkage? Not likely, since the belt and other aspects are also different, but possible. Probably just ease of making another figure by virtually copying the #141 sculpt and quickly coming up with 2 great fighting figure opponents to be included only with the ring!
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard
I was banned! Read ALL about it! http://www.littlerub...showtopic=23333

#1 on the LRG Dishonest Members list!

#4 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:00 AM

I think I covered alot of the possibilities back when I was trying to crack the mystery of Green #2.

Remember my never ending rant on Production efficiency? Can't really remember.

Posted Image

#5 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:05 AM

i really like the ring Buffaloman, he is pretty cool, you ever notice though his Bingo Wings?

#6 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:10 AM

So to make only these two new figures, they had to remold an almost exact #141, but because all molds are fixed molds, into a tree with the new Terribull #235 mold it went. Quite possibly they just molded Muscleman #234's features from an existing #141, which may explain the shrinkage? Not likely, since the belt and other aspects are also different, but possible. Probably just ease of making another figure by virtually copying the #141 sculpt and quickly coming up with 2 great fighting figure opponents to be included only with the ring!

Yep, this is exactly what I was thinking. Too bad they didn't decided to cast these two figures in a new color, like yellow or something. (It is interesting that the Buffalo ring figure was cast in Green though.) But, yeah, I think this really supports the "fixed" mold theory.

:)
Posted Image

#7 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:00 AM

Yeah, I’ve been struggling with this idea too.

According to the ring’s box, it was made in Mexico. My assumption was the figures were made there too, but I’m guessing. Is the ring and exact copy of anything Bandai did?

The other thing Mattel is solely responsible for is the belt. I don’t remember where that says it was made. I’d have to check later.

#8 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:04 AM

it always seemed weird that the picture on the front of the mega match game shows a green #2 yet it's the non poster figure you get,what the heck is up with that?

#9 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:19 AM

it always seemed weird that the picture on the front of the mega match game shows a green #2 yet it's the non poster figure you get,what the heck is up with that?

If you look at pictures on the MUSCLE ring box, it's the same thing. The Buffalo man with lowered arms is featured. (Pic @ Nathan's MUSCLE Page!)

Which is weird, and stupid, that if Mattel/Bandai were going to all that trouble to make a brand new, unique Buffalo man sculpt, why not market it? :) (Maybe it was a sculpt Bandai just never got around to releasing themselves?)

Veers, the MUSCLE ring is an exact copy of a Kin ring made by Bandai, save for the "prongs" the figures are placed into.
Posted Image

#10 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:29 AM

The MUSCLE ring seems to be a combination of two Kinnikuman rings: the Pro-Wrestling Game, which seems to be the source of the MUSCLE ring's "body", and the Battle Game, which has the same joysticks and figure clamps as those of the MUSCLE ring.

#11 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:48 AM

The two figures came separate in a mint condition ring, right?

Why not make two new molds, one for each figure, and have sixteen of the same figure in the rows? That'd explain the Board Game Buffaloman.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#12 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:16 AM

Here's my old topic that I found on #234, #235, and #2. You guys can rummage through it if you want. I read part of the first post, just to make sure it was the one I was talking about. ;)

http://www.littlerub...d...&hl=mystery

Posted Image

#13 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:18 AM

Crap...That was almost exactly 2 years ago.

Posted Image

#14 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:19 AM

Here's my old topic that I found on #234, #235, and #2.

Yeah, I remember that post. I agree with the gist of it -- but I'm not sure "production efficiency" was the only factor. Spending the money to create two new molds was a big decision, I'm sure. And recall that the ring seems to have been produced in Mexico. That could also be why two new molds were created. Maybe Bandai/Mattel didn't feel comfortable sending a family mold worth millions of dollars overseas.

Also, I'm curious which came first, the board game or the ring? I'm sure someone knows right off the top of their head. Like I said in that thread, if the board game (and the Grape figures) came out before the colored figure wave(s), why not use Grape as a regular color -- as they did with Green?
Posted Image

#15 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, I remember that post. I agree with the gist of it -- but I'm not sure "production efficiency" was the only factor. Spending the money to create two new molds was a big decision, I'm sure. And recall that the ring seems to have been produced in Mexico. That could also be why two new molds were created. Maybe Bandai/Mattel didn't feel comfortable sending a family mold worth millions of dollars overseas.

Well, what factory isn't going to try to produce a product in the most efficient way? That was two years ago anyways, I don't think my point of posting the link was to originally push my "PE" hypothesis, but to show that alot of conversation similar to this topic has already been discussed, and try to get more new input from everyone, instead of starting over.

But again, if the Ring was made in Mexico, then they surely packaged it in Mexico, which means that the Ring figure molds Might have been sent to or made in Mexico also. In fact this may have been the cheapest way Bandai/Mattel could pull this off, by outsourcing to Mexico for the ring and figures. Maybe the Board Game was made in Mexico too? Anyways Efficiency will always be a major factor in producing things like toys, so I don't have any doubt about my original argument. Remember Bandai/Mattel doesn't care about what toys they are making....they just want to make them cheap, and fast enough to make a profit without too much expenditure.

Posted Image

#16 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

Especially with the partnership. No matter what the split was, the margins become even leaner with two companies.

What is really interesting to me is the Made In Mexico aspect. During the 80’s I can’t think of a lot of toys being made in Mexico. Most of my toys were Hong Kong and Taiwan, even if those manufactures farmed it out to China or other Asian countries.

We should look at other Mattel games from the time period. Perhaps Mattel had a factory in Mexico. I don’t think it would be hard to transition from game pieces to MUSCLE figures.

The belt and the ring seem a little big for this theory.

#17 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

That was two years ago anyways, I don't think my point of posting the link was to originally push my "PE" hypothesis, but to show that alot of conversation similar to this topic has already been discussed, and try to get more new input from everyone, instead of starting over.

Sorry. >-< That's why I said at the start of this post that someone may have already mentioned the ring figures having a mold unto themselves. One of the reasons I am really looking forward to Veers' MUSCLE site is so we can really start to pull all the speculating/theorizing into one place -- in a refined form. As we all know, Nathan's site is an absolutely AMAZING MUSCLE resource -- just incredible really -- but he steers clear of the speculating for the most part. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a broken record and dead horse beater when it comes to MUSCLE musings.

However, I do stand by my comment that I agree with the gist of what you are saying, but I think there may be more to the story (and a little bit of me splitting hairs). For one, your theory is mainly about the Board Game and figures. Over at Nathan's site, he has two awesome pages devoted to both the Ring and Board Game. Interestingly, the Ring box has a date of 1985 and the Board Game a date of 1986. Going by this, it seems the Ring was created before the Board Game. So -- splitting hairs here -- rather than create the Terri-Bull figure for the Board Game, perhaps he was first created for the Ring and then either (1) was found suitable for the Board Game, (2) the Board Game was created around him, or (3) the Ring and Game Board were created at the same time. (It's notable that Terri-Bull #2 (arms down) was pictured on both the Ring box and the Board Game box -- so maybe they were both developed before Terri-Bull #235 was created.)

Like I said, URS, I think you had the gist of the idea about why #235 Terri-Bull was created, but I envision his creation being more about the ring -- with the need for a Terri-Bull with raised arms -- than him being specially created for the Board Game because of the tree issue. I think the tree issue -- finding a tree with the right number of sculpts that were bad guys -- was definitely a "post" issue, but not the driving force behind the creation of #235 Terri-Bull.

Also, you'll notice that the boxes of both the Ring and the Board Game say they are made in Japan. Is it actually the Wrestling Belt that was made in Mexico? Or is there another source that tells us where the Ring and BG were made?
Posted Image

#18 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

I think they were probably developed at the same time, with one hitting the market before the other – resulting in the different picture figure. There’s very little development time between the Bandai & Mattel partnership and the launch of MUSCLE. And with the line canceled so quickly, not a lot of development time is available period.

This is a weird place to mention this, but I’ve been searching through old toy industry magazines. Must of the mentions of MUSCLE say it sells well, but the industry people think it’s stupid. Perhaps industry buzz helped the demise of MUSCLE.

And it could be the belt that was created in Mexico (I’d have to remember to check when I got home).

And I apologize for the site not moving faster. The baby, the job getting busier, and a hard drive crash have made it very tough to get going.

#19 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:12 PM

I'm in no hurry Chad, I think your site is gonna kill when it's ready, and I think you should take your time so it is even better. :)

I agree with your point about the ring and board game Soups. I thought that the ring was made first, then the Board game probably came out later the next year. I'm almost certain that both were made before the Colored figures, if not at the same period as the mix packs.

Veers, do you know what part of 85' Muscles were released? Was it in the final quarter? I had always thought this. That would mean that the Board game could have came out in the first quarter of 86' making it practically so that the ring and game coming out around the same time. I mean really there shouldn't have been much production time needed at all for any Muscle merchandise. Even the Board Game was sort of half A$$ed.

Posted Image

#20 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

I don’t know if anything was released in 1985. If anything was released, then I believe it was through some type of standing Mattel order. I’m trying to really nail this down with some type of fact.

Mattel and Bandai enter their partnership in 1986. MUSCLE shows up in the 1986 catalog for the first time. Orders would have been placed, based on this catalog. I believe, back in 1986, orders were placed by buyers during February at Toy Fair. So during Q1 orders are placed and the major push for figures happens in Q3 and Q4.

I think the 1985 copyrights could be from the MUSCLE copyright and have nothing to do with production. Mattel could have protected the brand name in 1985 when they saw the property they were getting from Bandai.

#21 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:35 PM

Man that does make alot of sense, and could be pretty much the nail on the head. That could mean that anytime within that year, or even the first part of the second year the Ring and Board Game could have been made.

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com