11 replies to this topic

#1 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

For those who might be interested;

Reefer: http://m.ebay.fr/itm/181649957853
Be aware the figure has some paint issues and the gun is a reproduction!

Hornhead: http://m.ebay.fr/itm/181649953391
Beware this figure has some serious discolouration (front/back side).

TGB Water Tuna:
http://m.ebay.fr/itm/181649947239

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#2 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

yikes, yah some serious color issues with that hornhead, and interesting about that repro grin reefer gun, it looks glossy, not like the one from the set I bought.

#3 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts, Battle Beasts,Anything Beastformer, Insects,Bugs and arachnids.

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:22 AM

That tuna is in bad shape as well paint missing  and the one arm looks taped or modified & a chipped hand!I'm glad i never bid on any of his other stuff. 

Edited by 108KickBack, 01 February 2015 - 01:23 AM.

#4 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:35 AM

yikes, yah some serious color issues with that hornhead, and interesting about that repro grin reefer gun, it looks glossy, not like the one from the set I bought.

Guess its a TGB custom one.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#5 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts, Battle Beasts,Anything Beastformer, Insects,Bugs and arachnids.

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:20 PM

56 euro for a damaged incomplete tuna!I'm surprised.160 for the damaged grim reefer too WOW.

Edited by 108KickBack, 01 February 2015 - 01:30 PM.

#6 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• 1464 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

That Water Tuna is not TGB, it's a bootleg made from a cast of the TGB figures. I bought a set of them years ago from a seller in France, probably the same guy, but it was only $100 for the set of 3, likely due to the quality issues. Still cool pieces to have if you can't get the originals.

#7 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:51 AM

That Water Tuna is not TGB, it's a bootleg made from a cast of the TGB figures. I bought a set of them years ago from a seller in France, probably the same guy, but it was only $100 for the set of 3, likely due to the quality issues. Still cool pieces to have if you can't get the originals.

Thnx for confirming that! I already had my doubts about the quality of them.

Think real TGB ones would go for a bit more these days ;)

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#8 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:26 AM

I just don't care for the existing wise men/ god beasts/ whatever-you-want-to-call them; the proportions and sculpting just look goofy to me.

Honestly I'd like to see TrentTroop take a stab at doing them them with 3D renderings and prints; his Combat Creatures are truer to the BB aesthetic. 

#9 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:12 PM

I just don't care for the existing wise men/ god beasts/ whatever-you-want-to-call them; the proportions and sculpting just look goofy to me.

Honestly I'd like to see TrentTroop take a stab at doing them them with 3D renderings and prints; his Combat Creatures are truer to the BB aesthetic. 

Godbeasts are some of the best sculpts in my opinion. They are not goofy in the slightest. I especially praise their backs since Marty had no illustrations or photos for reference to go by..  They are a my holy grail within my collection and I have every sculpt. Although my Wood Beatle is a v2 sculpt for being casted in a dying mold, it still came out great. The only complaint I have is they are in hard resin and just too fragile to play with. I didn't know someone made a bootleg set of GBs. I just wish with Marty's permission someone could remold them and cast them in flexible rubber so they can be had by all and playable. They are too nice of a sculpting job and fit right in line with BBs and LBs to be cut off by fans. They are somewhat bigger then the rest (about same size as Beast Saga figs) and with they royal-type armor and weaponry seem more god like. This Water Tuna doesn't do the GBs justice, but you have to have a resin casted piece to truly get how awesome they are up close. 

What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#10 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, Fake Battle Beasts, Custom Battle beasts.
    BATTLE BEASTS ROCK AND SO DO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

Yea I second that. Ever since I first saw them as a ebay listing I fell in love with them.
Yea there not the same size as BB and LB but then again they are gods. So I guess there allowed to be.

I also wish they had been made from the same materials as regular BB and LB and I also wish they had working LB orbs.
The fact real orbs wernt used bothers me a fair bit. But apart from that I love these guys the wood beetle is amazing!!!!!
There staffs are great as well and really finish them off.

I'm certain that not all were painted the same.

#11 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

Godbeasts are some of the best sculpts in my opinion.

When you say "some of the best sculpts", do you just mean with regards to custom BBs? Because that I could probably agree with, but if you're including the official 1-112 figures, that's really a stretch. TrentTroop's may be 3D prints but they are also originals and they're true to the proportions and aesthetic of the real figures.

I'm not judging the Water Tuna based on this one image alone; I've seen a number of these in collection photos and other auctions and none of them look that great; especially not for the pricetag most people ask for them. If you have any images of yours that you think might change my mind, I'd be interested in seeing them. There's also the size differential you mentioned, making them look out of place displayed next to other Beasts. 

Yes they are cool designs, but we should be giving credit for that to the illustrator(s) who made them for the book. I think it's cool that someone decided to try and make them into figures, I just honestly don't think it was that great of an execution. While I would normally just keep that opinion to myself, these are glorified so much while not being desirable at all to me, so it's perplexing. 

#12 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

When you say "some of the best sculpts", do you just mean with regards to custom BBs? Because that I could probably agree with, but if you're including the official 1-112 figures, that's really a stretch. TrentTroop's may be 3D prints but they are also originals and they're true to the proportions and aesthetic of the real figures.

I'm not judging the Water Tuna based on this one image alone; I've seen a number of these in collection photos and other auctions and none of them look that great; especially not for the pricetag most people ask for them. If you have any images of yours that you think might change my mind, I'd be interested in seeing them. There's also the size differential you mentioned, making them look out of place displayed next to other Beasts. 

Yes they are cool designs, but we should be giving credit for that to the illustrator(s) who made them for the book. I think it's cool that someone decided to try and make them into figures, I just honestly don't think it was that great of an execution. While I would normally just keep that opinion to myself, these are glorified so much while not being desirable at all to me, so it's perplexing. 

Everybody has an opinion, but like I said it's better to see them upclose and personal to truly appreciate how close Marty got the likeness of the figures based on just one concept illustration. I do think they are the best sculpts for me personally, but it wouldn't be fair to say out of the entire line. Because I do think some BBs and LBs are up there in sculpting skill, as well as certain Beast Saga sculpts. Also most of the photos you have seen are probably just single colors and clear transparents right? Maybe a few painted ones? They don't stand out as much with single colors and transparents, but then not much would, but when painted with a mix of transparency you get a beautiful thing. I wish I can show you a photo of my set, I don't have a camera, but I do have a scanner, so when I have time I'll try to scan them. My set is painted based off the image color scheme. My Fire Lion is casted in transparent red in painted Gold Armor, since flames are intangible. My Water Tuna is casted in transparent blue in painted Silver Armor, since water is intangible. My Wood Beetle is casted in solid brown then re-painted Brass (initially went Bronze, but it look too close to Gold), since wood in tangible. This effect would be hard to replicate in flexible rubber since I hardly see painted transparent flexible casted pieces for obvious reasons. Not that it can't be done, I just don't see it alot, probably due to that fact it isn't very practical unless the paint is sealed. As for the size, Marty told me, that since they are "Gods" they needed to be slightly bigger than the rest of the BBs/LBs, so he used the Girrafe as the core size to start his GBs with, since it was the tallest BB. They do not look out of place to me when next to a BB/LB. They don't exactly tower over them. Beast Saga next to BBs/LBs seem more off by comparison.

This image best represents them, it is painted, but my Fire Lion has transparency mixed with paint, here he's completely painted. My set is painted similarly to this one though to best match the illustration.

tgb061.JPG

god3.jpg

If TrentTroop's wanted to recreate the Godbeasts, I would be all for it. Actually I was hoping somebody would give it a crack and sculpt a new set, so they can be re-released.

Of course we have the illustrator/creator of BBs to thank in the first place, but without these fan-made sculpts we'd never have tangible figures of the GBs and that deserve credit as well. Marty did the BB community a solid producing these, just wish he didn't limit it to a single mold.

Edited by FANtomCore, 05 February 2015 - 05:28 PM.

What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com